PDA

View Full Version : Made in China - just don't get it

jjirons69
07-05-2009, 09:56 AM
We go to Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant for the big 4th of July celebration. Lots of volunteers are handing out thousands of small American flags, wooden stick, plastic flag 8" long. What does it say on the side of the flag - Made in China. WTH??? Really. You would think if nothing else could be made in America it would be our own little flags. Could they cost that damn much to produce here? Kind of deflating when I sit down and get handed my very own Chinese-made American flag.

TheBeard
07-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Welcome to capitalism and the global economy.

Sure, we could produce little American flags cheaply, but China probably already has an entire city devoted to that production and has ways to undercut us while maintaining their profits.

Edit: Actually, that post sounds rather bleak and uninspired. I'll counter myself by sharing that I read about a study recently that found that you CAN get a better value by buying American for many products; it's clothing that the Chinese production machine will nail you on every time (according to the study).

kelmac07
07-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Gotta love America!!!! Built by the lowest bidder!!

shilala
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
It'd be best to find the guy who bought the flags and stuff them up his ass.
A little speech about the "global economy" might help. :)
I cringe every time I hear those words.

kydsid
07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Let's see I work for the US Government wearing a uniform made in Mexico, driving a vehicle made in Canada, sure it's a US Manufacturer but it was made in Canada, flying a US and Agency flag made in China, using computers built in Taiwan (ok dell put em together here but still), sitting in a chair made in Thailand.

At least my pens and pencils are honest to god American products made by the blind.

That's global for you!

Martin
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5304233/entire-new-13%20story-building-tips-over-in-s

:r

Cigary
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Amen, brother!

JaKaacH
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5304233/entire-new-13%20story-building-tips-over-in-s

:r
Thats funny that a whole building would "fall over".
I hope they used better construction practices on the building of the Three Gorges Dam...That would be a mess if it fell over..:confused:

GTCanuk
07-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Thats funny that a whole building would "fall over".
I hope they used better construction practices on the building of the Three Gorges Dam...That would be a mess if it fell over..:confused:

Who's gonna live in the identical units next door

WildBlueSooner
07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Let's see I work for the US Government wearing a uniform made in Mexico, driving a vehicle made in Canada, sure it's a US Manufacturer but it was made in Canada, flying a US and Agency flag made in China, using computers built in Taiwan (ok dell put em together here but still), sitting in a chair made in Thailand.

At least my pens and pencils are honest to god American products made by the blind.

That's global for you!

I have those pens and they dont work to well...just saying

CigarDood
07-05-2009, 01:54 PM
We go to Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant for the big 4th of July celebration. Lots of volunteers are handing out thousands of small American flags, wooden stick, plastic flag 8" long. What does it say on the side of the flag - Made in China. WTH??? Really. You would think if nothing else could be made in America it would be our own little flags. Could they cost that damn much to produce here? Kind of deflating when I sit down and get handed my very own Chinese-made American flag.

Products should be made where production is most efficient. That is a core tenet of our economic system and has made our country a world leader. In fact, IMHO, if it's more efficient to produce American flags in China, it would actually be un-American to produce them here.

kydsid
07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I have those pens and they dont work to well...just saying

That was an insider joke. Shhhh!

The hell I go through just to order a 10cent Bic pen is amazing.

WildBlueSooner
07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
That was an insider joke. Shhhh!

The hell I go through just to order a 10cent Bic pen is amazing.

:r:r:r I will stop now!

HK3-
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM

:tpd: Amen to that brother.

The one reason I miss UNIONS.