PDA

View Full Version : CI Padilla Limitado Oscuros 68's aren't Oscuros.

shilala
06-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I got all excited, ordered ten deals from today's catalog, cause it was awesome. (25 bucks for a pair of the Padilla '68 Oscuro 2009 Limitadas Salamones and a free fiver of jj maduros robustos, or one of any number of really good fivers).
Then I come to find they aren't oscuro, and they aren't Limitadas.
I'm surprised they're even 68's.
They're corojo salamone 68's. What the hell would I want with that? It's not even remotely the same cigar.
I called back and cancelled my whole order. $300.00 bucks worth.
They already charged my cards, I imagine this will take two weeks to sort out. :mad:

NCRadioMan
06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
From the CI site:

Note: Originally, this deal was for a 2-pack of Padilla Series ’68 Limitado Oscuro Salomons. Unfortunately, this cigar is no mas, but we do have the standard Series ’68 Salomons available. The blend is the same, as the wrapper has been taken from a lower priming than the Oscuro, receiving less sun exposure during growth. Either way you slice it, it’s still a fantastic deal.

shadow king
07-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I got my catalog this week too. I see they have 2 deals like this. Like you, I was tempted because of the great fivers you get to choose from.

Speaking of the "other" deal. I just cannot justify paying $20 for a single Gurkha. :r

kelmac07
07-01-2009, 08:31 AM
I got my catalog this week too. I see they have 2 deals like this. Like you, I was tempted because of the great fivers you get to choose from.

Speaking of the "other" deal. I just cannot justify paying $20 for a single Gurkha. :r

I could when I got a fiver of Carlos Torano Signature Series (one of my favorite smokes) for free!!!! the Gurkha can always be gifted to Bobby!!

shilala
07-01-2009, 08:40 AM
From the CI site:

Note: Originally, this deal was for a 2-pack of Padilla Series ’68 Limitado Oscuro Salomons. Unfortunately, this cigar is no mas, but we do have the standard Series ’68 Salomons available. The blend is the same, as the wrapper has been taken from a lower priming than the Oscuro, receiving less sun exposure during growth. Either way you slice it, it’s still a fantastic deal.

Yeah, it would have been good of them to put that, and that picture in the catalog, being as it arrived yesterday morning and that's what I ordered from.
You should see the pic of that Oscuro Limtada in the catalog. :dr
I used to smoke 68 robustos, they were one of my faves. I belive they were corojo wrappers. All I know is that the Oscuro's what sealed the deal. The five packs that went with them were awesome. Made the deal a no brainer.
Then if I ordered ten IT Super Fuerte's for 20 bucks I got free shipping.
That made them 14 bucks for ten. Also an excellent deal.

shilala
07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I checked on the 68's. The robustos I have are corojo wrappers as well.
A 68 torp is a $6.00 cigar.
A '68 corojo salamone might be a $7.00 cigar.
Granted, the 68 is awesome. With an Oscuro wrapper, I bet it would be incredible. That's why I ordered 20 of them.
Add the free fiver deal and it was an incredible deal. Probably still is even with the corojo wrapper.
I just don't have any need for them.
I wanted a bunch of the Padilla Artisans, too. So I had 20 oscuro 68's, 20 Habano Artisans, and 20 JJ Maduro robustos, and 10 IT Super Fuertes coming for 300 bucks.
That was a hella deal. Makes me wanna cry. :(

Gophernut
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought this was too good to be true. Thanks for the update!

shadow king
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Those Sol Cubano Artisan Salomons are a $125 value. I never had those but for $25 maybe its a steal?

shilala
07-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Those Sol Cubano Artisan Salomons are a $125 value. I never had those but for $25 maybe its a steal?
Did ya ever smoke one?

shadow king
07-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I plead the 5th.

bookman
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
On principle I can't pay $20 for a Gurk, no matter HOW MANY "free" cigars I get.

bookman
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Gurkha you aint bad. You aint nuthin!!!!!

sodomanaz
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM

Sold out, really wanted to try. Did however do two of this deal to get 10 Ruination MoW for a decent price.

Mark C
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I jumped on that deal too. Big Padilla fan, and figured the 5 packs made it a no brainer as well. Package showed up on the 1st and the Padillas were missing entirely. Only thing in the box was the 5-pack of 5 Vegas 2009 Limitada (I'm a 5 Vegas fan too), a box of matches, and a shipping invoice showing the 5-pack AND 2-pack Padilla. Called up CI, the customer rep mumbled something about "they were in the box when it left here" and mentioned filing a claim with UPS. They dropped a new box in the mail for me, but I went away for the weekend and my neighbor picked it up. I'm gonna be pissed if I open the box and find corojos instead of oscuros.

shilala
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I jumped on that deal too. Big Padilla fan, and figured the 5 packs made it a no brainer as well. Package showed up on the 1st and the Padillas were missing entirely. Only thing in the box was the 5-pack of 5 Vegas 2009 Limitada (I'm a 5 Vegas fan too), a box of matches, and a shipping invoice showing the 5-pack AND 2-pack Padilla. Called up CI, the customer rep mumbled something about "they were in the box when it left here" and mentioned filing a claim with UPS. They dropped a new box in the mail for me, but I went away for the weekend and my neighbor picked it up. I'm gonna be pissed if I open the box and find corojos instead of oscuros.
Get ready to pissed. :(

MajorCaptSilly
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I was close to pulling the trigger on this. Sorry you had to be the one to get screwed, Scott.

MCS

TheBeard
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I've smoked 2 Gurka cigars. Neither were bad, but both were overpriced.

Speaking of which... http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456

borndead1
07-05-2009, 08:44 PM
THANKS for the heads up. I was about to jump on this deal. What a bunch of horse puckey.

TheTraveler
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
My dad jumped on this deal to get me an early birthday present. He ordered 3 days ago - wonder if I'll get the oscuro or not? Any way to tell how quickly they "ran out" of the oscuro?

:confused:

shilala
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
My dad jumped on this deal to get me an early birthday present. He ordered 3 days ago - wonder if I'll get the oscuro or not? Any way to tell how quickly they "ran out" of the oscuro?

:confused:
They didn't have any from the get-go.
The catalog was already done, and the cigars never materialized.
Sofaman got his in the mail a few days ago after he had called and cancelled his order.
They were corojo.
I think he's decided to keep the whole order.
They actually cancelled mine when I called and cancelled, no cigars showed up.

TheTraveler
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I've never had any Padilla ... that oscuro wrapper sure looks nice though and that's what first caught my eye! I'll enjoy giving the corojo a try though. :ss

Sorry it didn't work out for you Scott. :(

shilala
07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I've never had any Padilla ... that oscuro wrapper sure looks nice though and that's what first caught my eye! I'll enjoy giving the corojo a try though. :ss

Sorry it didn't work out for you Scott. :(
The 68's have always had a corojo wrapper. They're a good cigar.
I just cancelled cause I don't dig the bait and switch routine.

TheTraveler
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
The 68's have always had a corojo wrapper. They're a good cigar.
I just cancelled cause I don't dig the bait and switch routine.

I definitely feel you on that one. I'm still drooling over that pic. :dr

shilala
07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I definitely feel you on that one. I'm still drooling over that pic. :dr
The 68's were my favorite at a time, and it was definately a good deal.
I just simply don't need any of the stuff. I was spending 300 bucks on a "good deal" cause of the Oscuro wrapper.
When I found out it wasn't an LE and it wasn't the right wrapper, and that the Artisans that I REALLY wanted were on backorder, the whole deal just evaporated. :)
It was still a good deal with the fivers, but I just honestly didn't need any of it.

kgraybill
07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I ordered the 2 pack with the DPG JJ's and the Summertime Soloman sampler. Got my shipment today, Corojo's on both.

Those oscuros sure did look tasty!

TheTraveler
07-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Got mine in today! Those Padillas still look tasty - I haven't tried them yet.

(Yet means "as long as it takes me to quit typing an clip the head of one of them"! :r )

Skywalker
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm with you Scott... Still I couldn't pass up some sweet fivers!!!:rolleyes:

Mark C
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Get ready to pissed. :(

As expected, I'm pissed. I'll keep the corojos, but I intend to call CI tomorrow and let them know I'm extremely unhappy with the bait and switch/false advertising, ESPECIALLY since the 'switch' was made without any sort of notification, explanation, or apology at any time in the transaction. They certainly should have said something when I called and said 'you forgot to put my '68 2-pack in the box'. I've always held CI customer service in high regard, but this is strike one.

bigloo
07-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I just ordered the 68 just because it was the cheapest way of getting the Sol Cubana Artisans. I just smoked one of them last night and I have to have more... the 68 are just some bonuses.

CI cracks me up. If you search sol cubano artisan on their website, the cheapest for a 5ver is $75. If you use google, there is a secret page where they are $27.50. If you go through the 5-pack madness they are "free" by pruchases 2 68 Solamons for $25. Anyway, I think this is a great deal from CI... and yes, the free shipping made is 7 premium sticks for $25 shipped, cannot beat that.

bookman
07-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Love Padilla's. The 68s are pretty good, but not as good as some of the others. I'm just wondering if next CI catalog we are going to see an AMAZING DEAL on 68 Solomons!!! The box price at AMZINGLY INSANE low CI GOODNESS price plus a bunch of free cigars...

shilala
07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope CI can produce those Oscuros.
The '68 was at one time my favorite cigar. It's one of the first handful that made me think "Wow, I didn't know cigars could be this good." They also are a big part of what started my cigar addiction.
So yeah, the deal was still great, and the Corojo Salamone is delicious.
I just didn't need any of the stuff I ordered. I just bought 300 bucks worth of stuff cause of the oscuro wrapper. That's why I cancelled. :)
When/if the wrappers show up, I'm gonna be all over them. :tu
I still wanna get a bunch of those Artisan Burberrys, but they were on backorder anyways. So my whole deal just kinda sucked.
To make me feel better, me and sofaman did a split on a bunch of "nearly free" cc's. :)

s15driftking
07-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I could when I got a fiver of Carlos Torano Signature Series (one of my favorite smokes) for free!!!! the Gurkha can always be gifted to Bobby!!

KEL for president!!!

kelmac07
07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
KEL for president!!!

Have you smoked the "Status" Bobby?

s15driftking
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
yeah, the gurkha rep gave one to me last time he was in town. And then i purchased and smoked two since. its actually a fantastic dominican cigar, very smooth. the wrapper is so nice that it literally feels like silk... very little texture to it. I actually felt like i was going to rip the wrapper it seemed so delicate.

bigloo
07-24-2009, 10:16 PM
This deal got interesting again. They know have two different Padilla solomen (a 1932 and Miami blend) with the same 5-pack deal. I should have waited maybe, these look more interesting then the 68s.

sodomanaz
07-25-2009, 12:29 AM
This deal got interesting again. They know have two different Padilla solomen (a 1932 and Miami blend) with the same 5-pack deal. I should have waited maybe, these look more interesting then the 68s.

And $15 more expensive ($40). Not much of a deal to me.

bigloo
07-25-2009, 12:36 AM
You are right! On the first page it says $25 but in the cart it is $40! (dam CI) No so hot now for sure. Thanks for pointing this out.

shilala
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Linky?
I looked, can't find it.

bigloo
07-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Linkified....

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-PT4&cat=164

Kreth
07-25-2009, 09:16 AM
I was going back and forth between this deal and the Gurkha Status, since I'd like to try the 5 Vegas Relic or Cask Strength II. But our baby made an early apearance, so I'll have to wait and see what the August catalog has for specials... :ss

shilala
07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Linkified....

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-PT4&cat=164
Thanks Lu.
It's seems like something of a hose-job compared to the last deal.

ChasDen
07-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I was going back and forth between this deal and the Gurkha Status, since I'd like to try the 5 Vegas Relic or Cask Strength II. But our baby made an early apearance, so I'll have to wait and see what the August catalog has for specials... :ss

I have tried both in the last few weeks and they were just OK to me. Not bad mind you, just OK.

Chas

Kreth
07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I have tried both in the last few weeks and they were just OK to me. Not bad mind you, just OK.

Chas
Well, if there's not a comparable deal in the new catalog, I'll get 5ers. I can always PIF them here if I don't care for them. :ss

ChasDen
07-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, if there's not a comparable deal in the new catalog, I'll get 5ers. I can always PIF them here if I don't care for them. :ss

That's the spirit :D

Doing your part to help the economy :tu

Chas

Tuxguy
07-26-2009, 08:00 PM
I bought both deals when i received the catolouge. They told me on the phone that the wrapper would appear lighter