View Full Version : DPG Cuban Classic 1979

Ratters
06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Cigar: Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic (Black Label) 1979
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler:Nicaragua
Vitola: 1979 5x50 (Robusto)
Price: Got this one off joecigar at $32/10 shipped late last year. Boxes at cigar.com run about $125.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_4063.jpg

Setting: Backyard at the exwifes house. About 6 O'Clock and in the high 70s with a bit of a breeze. Pairing with an IBC Root Beer.

Pre-light: The cigar has a nice medium brown wrapper with a tripple cap and nice oily sheen. The cigar itself is pretty bumpy with small to medium sized veins and a significant soft spot above the band. There is also a crack in the wrapper about halfway down the cigar. The cap cut easily using the Cranial Screw Top method. The foot had a rich earthy and somewhat spicy scent, and the draw was nice and easy with a sweet tobacco taste to it.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_4066.jpg

First third: The cigar lit up quickly and easily enough. Initial draw brought in a lot of smoke and some rich wood and leather flavors. There is a bit of spice on the tongue but it stays there. The burn began to get a bit wavy off the bat but that may be due to the wind. The first ash dropped at about half an inch, but it was sloid and not flakey. Body is already in the medium to full range with lots of smoke and a nice creamy finish. So far off to an excellent start.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_4069.jpg

Second third: Well, things are still coming along smoothly. Flavors have remained pretty much the same, but that's not really a bad thing. Burn is still a tad wavy but moslty even, no touchups required so far. There is a bit of cocoa that's coming into the mix that is very pleasant. Spice is is still light but present. Enjoying the cigar immensely so far.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_4077.jpg

Final third: Body is moving into the full range still with nice large amounts of smoke. The cigar does not seem particularly strong, not much of a nic kick so far. Flavors are pretty consistent throughout though the cocoa is starting to dominate the leather a tad. The aftertaste is still creamy and pleasant and seems to coat the mouth. At a bit over the inch mark it started getting a bit hot even though I've been smoking pretty slowly.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_4085.jpg

Final thoughts: These are one of my favorite cigars. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Pepin's smokes, but this one hits all the marks for me. Great flavors, good burn, and can be found at a great price when they come up on Joe. This one seemed to burn a bit quickly, getting to the end at a bit over an hour, I usually get an hour and a half out of a robusto, but still this is a great smoke.

Liked it: Yes
Reccommend: Yes
Buy again: Sure, I snap them up whenever I see them.

tuxpuff
06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Great review and pics...thanks! Another for my 'to try' list.

kelmac07
06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Very nice review...I just gifted someone one of these...hope they enjoy it!!

Whee
06-30-2009, 08:21 PM
These are great cigars. I have a box of these and quite a number of the Belicosos (1973). Also picked up a 5fer of the 6x60s.

Great review!:tu

Col. Kurtz
06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the review, good job.

I usually find about midway these smooth out and the pepper fades quite a bit. First cigar I remember changing on me. They are very good sticks.

I'll need to revisit them to see if I am remembering right.

JimmyPeaches
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
These are great sticks. They're perfect for just enjoying an afternoon.

elderboy02
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice review! :tu I always try to keep a box on hand.

rizzle
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Love that cigar, especially after a few months of good resting. Cool ashtray too bro.

Good review, haven't seen you write one in a while. :tu

e-man67
07-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I love these! Think I will burn one tonight! :banger

Bama In Tampa
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
When they have the Don Pepin Garcia Black Label (1979) robusto in stock, you can get them at Nice Ash cigars for $84.61 a box (20). When you choose ground shipping, there is no shipping charge. Nice Ash has some of the lowest prices on the web. However, you have to check in often, as they are out of stock at lot, but will honor the price that was shown when you originally tried to order.

If anyone is aware of a cigar web site with lower prices than Nice Ash Cigars, let us in on the "intell".

Good smoking!

Mr B
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Great review Steve. And very nice pics. I did'nt like the first one of these I had, but I have liked the ones since.

ProBe
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Great review,Thanks for sharing.

trader1974
07-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I have to say your review is right on the money. I just now finished burning one of these gifted to me by Ahbroody and it was just as you said. The start was wood and leather, almost too much of those two flavors for me but then it smoothed out, also a little spice in the background just as you said. I jumped on here to check reviews and found yours. About halfway through the cigar I started to post a comment because I was getting everything you described except the cocoa flavor, I was getting none of that, but I held off until the end and guess what...cocoa in the last third. This cigar was creamy with alot of rich smoke and it changed up a lot. The last third with the cocoa taking over made it a very good smoke. My hats off to your review!

DougBushBC
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Great review, try the Lancero of the same blend, its exceptional.

Skywalker
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Another great review Steve!!!:tu

Steelergar
07-09-2009, 07:53 PM
black cat cigar has them for $82.75. But there are shipping charges but no t sales tax if dont live in PA

Steelergar
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
black cat cigar has them for $82.75. But there are shipping charges but no sales tax if dont live in PA