PDA

View Full Version : Habana Leon?

Mr. Ed
06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if the Habana Leon cigars made by Don Pepin are discontinued?

Also, how good are they as a Pepin blend? Are they one of his better ones?

Thanks,
Ed

wayner123
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Does anyone know if the Habana Leon cigars made by Don Pepin are discontinued?

Also, how good are they as a Pepin blend? Are they one of his better ones?

Thanks,
Ed

It seems cigarking is still selling them strong. I doubt they are discontinued.

They are a somewhat decent Pepin blend. IMO, they are too spicy. They carry a very heavy bell pepper taste to me. One of the best Pepin blends imo, is the Hirsh y Garcia which is also sold at cigarking.

Tripp
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't think they've been discontinued, but they are exclusive to Cigar King. IMO, the Nacionales W is a much better cigar, though both are a little expensive for a house blend.

Mr. Ed
06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, not too familiar with Pepin's house blends, but I recently had a few of his smokes he made special for a B&M event and they were pretty good.

tobii3
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
IMO, the Nacionales W is a much better cigar

Man, I haven't seen one of those in a LOOOONG time....surprised to see ANY mention of those!!!

Tripp
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Buy this for a great sample of Cigar King's Pepin blends.

http://www.cigarking.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=7858

tobii3
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
CLUB STOGIE Pepin Sampler?????

sniff sniff.....Louie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NCRadioMan
06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Ed, you would like them. :tu The Hirsh y Garcia is the best Cigar King has to offer, imo. In fact, it's my favorite Pepin, overall.

rizzle
06-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Ed, you would like them. :tu The Hirsh y Garcia is the best Cigar King has to offer, imo. In fact, it's my favorite Pepin, overall.

Sounds like I found another one to put on my "to try" list.

NCRadioMan
06-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Sounds like I found another one to put on my "to try" list.

They should be a "must try" for any Pepin fan.

Mr. Ed
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
GOOD NEWS, the Habana Leons appear to be on a big sale!!!

http://www.cigarking.com/finditem/5911

Downside is that they don't come in a box, but in bundles

TomHagen
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I had my first Habana Leon robusto last week... it was phenomenal!! I was expecting a pepper-blast, even more than other Pepin's, but didn't get overwhelmed at all. Balanced, complex and very-cuban-esque with more power. Excellent!

ps the Hirsh y Garcia is great as well.

Mr. Ed
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Is it really worth the extra money over the Blue or Black labels though? They seem to charge a lot for Pepin's house blends.

Tripp
07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I would say that if your not going to stock up with a box, at least order a sampler because they are certainly worth a try. IMHO, they're up there with the DPG Whites and Blues, and Tatuaje. In terms of quality that is.

TomHagen
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Is it really worth the extra money over the Blue or Black labels though? They seem to charge a lot for Pepin's house blends.

I agree about the price point, but they are probably more expensive due to smaller production. That being said I really enjoyed the ones I had. Some were better than the Blues, Blacks etc., the ones that stood out were the Hirsch y Garcia and the Habana Leon, and some were on par or not as good. Keep in mind I only had 1-3 of each stick, so a box investment I can speak to.
I would say that if your not going to stock up with a box, at least order a sampler because they are certainly worth a try. IMHO, they're up there with the DPG Whites and Blues, and Tatuaje. In terms of quality that is.

and flavor, Agreed.

I have always wanted to make it over to De La Concha for their Pepin house blend, but have never gotten the chance when I am in the city...

bobarian
07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
The CS sampler is definitely a good way to try them without breaking the bank. My favorite HyG is the lancero/lonsdale, smooth and complex. :2

Mr. Ed
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Aggghhhhhh, you guys talked me into it
:fu2

TomHagen
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Aggghhhhhh, you guys talked me into it
:fu2

:dance:Ha, ha:dance: That's what you get! :fu

truth be told, you will enjoy it...:ss

what'dya get exactly, a sampler?

Mr. Ed
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
:dance:Ha, ha:dance: That's what you get! :fu

truth be told, you will enjoy it...:ss

what'dya get exactly, a sampler?

them club stogie sampler:bh

LasciviousXXX
07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
The Sancti Spiritus was my favorite out of those blends. With honorable mention to the Havana Soul and the Hersch y Garcia :tu

thebiglebowski
07-03-2009, 12:14 PM

why hasn't der fuhrer forced cigar king to change the name of this sampler???

:D

M1903A1
07-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Well, here's the bad news: My regular B&M is the Cigar King in suburban Chicago, and I was told some time ago (last year, when I noticed supplies were running out and not being restocked) that CK had stopped carrying their Pepin house blends in favor of some other line. I haven't seen any Havana Soul (my old NC go-to), Habana Leon, Nacionales W, etc. in stock there in quite some time. :mad:

At the time I found out about it, I did some looking online and found one or two other retailers that carried the old Pepin house brands, so some looking around might yield another source.

Mr. Ed
07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, here's the bad news: My regular B&M is the Cigar King in suburban Chicago, and I was told some time ago (last year, when I noticed supplies were running out and not being restocked) that CK had stopped carrying their Pepin house blends in favor of some other line. I haven't seen any Havana Soul (my old NC go-to), Habana Leon, Nacionales W, etc. in stock there in quite some time. :mad:

At the time I found out about it, I did some looking online and found one or two other retailers that carried the old Pepin house brands, so some looking around might yield another source.
Everything still seems to be in stock on their website :confused: