PDA

View Full Version : Mo Gets 500th Save - And First RBI

The Poet
06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
So did you catch that Subway Series closer closer last night? Mariano Rivera got a 4-out save to notch his 500th - which was only a matter of time, no biggie in itself - but he also picked up his FIRST CAREER RBI, on a bases-loaded walk in the top of the ninth. Plus, since it was only a 3-2 lead at the time, it was a SIGNIFICANT run, not some meaningless tally.

Hey, I am not the kind of Yankee fan who bashes the Mets. As far as I'm concerned, they can win 100 games, they can lose 100 games - as long as it does not affect my team, what do I care? But after this, I can't help myself, and just have to say:

:r :r :r :r :r

MedicCook
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Congrats to Mo the greatest closer in the history of baseball.

Texan in Mexico
06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Well maybe the 2nd greatest of all time.

I caught the game and what a great couple innings, the shot of Jeter smiling and looking over at the dugout as they pretended to pitch to him in the 8th was great.

Smoke Naked
06-29-2009, 03:13 PM

2nd greatest

The Poet
06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
To quote from my original post:

"only a matter of time."

:ss

pnoon
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Ever heard of a guy named Trevor Hoffman? :rolleyes:

The Poet
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
To quote from my original post:

"only a matter of time."

:ss

:)

The Poet
06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Bump, just to irritate kelmac. ;)

kelmac07
06-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks Thomas!!!!! Of course, he did this against my Mets!!!

MedicCook
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM

I would take Mo over Hoffman any day of the week. Hoffman also has 2 years on Mo for service time so that makes up for the difference in save total +/-. There are also the 34 postseason saves that Mo has recorded along with the lowerst postseason ERA in the history of baseball at 0.767. I would have to list Hoffman as #2 :D

The Poet
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks Thomas!!!!! Of course, he did this against my Mets!!!

You are most welcome, my young friend. :hf

Well, the Yankees had a day off last night, but Jeter held the annual gala for his Turn Two Foundation. When they asked him about Mo's RBI he said all the right things - of course he did, it's Jeets - but he was still laughing about it. The photogs did not need their flashes, as his grin lit up the whole ballroom. :D

pnoon
06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I would take Mo over Hoffman any day of the week. Hoffman also has 2 years on Mo for service time so that makes up for the difference in save total +/-. There are also the 34 postseason saves that Mo has recorded along with the lowerst postseason ERA in the history of baseball at 0.767. I would have to list Hoffman as #2 :D

Don't forget to factor in that Hoffman played for the Padres. Rivera had the support and success of the Yankees. Not Hoffman's fault that he pitched very little in the post season.

NCRadioMan
06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Don't forget to factor in that Hoffman played for the Padres. Rivera had the support and success of the Yankees. Not Hoffman's fault that he pitched very little in the post season.
Which makes it that much more impressive, imo.

skullnrose
06-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Hoffman is a Great closer but MO is number 1 in my book look at Hoffman's stats in big spots. Congrats MO !

The Poet
06-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey, I would never dismiss Hoffman - he can be Mo's 8th inning guy any time.

Smoke Naked
06-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Which makes it that much more impressive, imo.
:tu

VirtualSmitty
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Hoffman has nothing but two seasons worth of saves on Mo, and he started 4 years before Rivera even began closing. Rivera has been clutch in the post season where Hoffman has not. Rivera has been a World Series MVP, ALC MVP, 4 time WS Champ, it just goes on and on. And he's been dominating all these years with one pitch, in the most difficult division in baseball year in year out. I rarely disagree with you Peter, but Rivera is easily the best closer of all time imho ;)

The Poet
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM
As you well know, Mo is used to throwing the last pitch of a game, and last night he did it again for #501. But he also threw out the first pitch of the game, in honor of his 500th.

I don't work for Elias, but I'd bet that never happened before. :ss

The Poet
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
So Mo gets his record-tying 4th All-Star save last night - again, just a matter of time. I'd like to thank Nathan for holding the lead in the 8th for him, and a big hand for Carl Crawford and that play he made in the 7th to keep the ball in the park. And yeah, I guess I should give some credit to Poopiebum too - hey, if he hadn't given up that thunderous out, Crawford could not have made the play, right?

:D

The Poet
09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Oops! Let's make that 600 saves . . . but still just one RBI. :D

What a piker! :r

The Poet
09-17-2011, 02:01 PM
601 . . . and one RBI. Mo's now tied with Trevor Hoffman.