PDA

View Full Version : Radio Field Day

markem
06-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Today and Sunday, while you are out and about, you may see a tent or a few EZ-UPs in a field with some large antennas strung over them. You may ask yourself, "WTF?!?"

From noon (PDT) today until the same time tomorrow is Field Day. This is an international day when amateur (ham) radio groups take literally to the field and attempt to make as many contacts around the world as they can, even the South Pole. This is both a contest (to see who can make the most contacts world-wide) and a demonstration of the commitment of thousands of amateur radio operators to be prepared to help in an emergency.

We amateurs pay for all our own equipment and volunteer our services for lots of invisible tasks like search and rescue, marathons, parades, air shows, rodeos and the like where communications is paramount. In fact, amateur radio operators are prohibited (by convention and law) from taking compensation for working on the radio.

So remember the motto that "when all else fails, radio will be there" and give a waive or honk to these people when you pass by. They are truly a silent service that is working to be prepared while hoping that they never are needed - all at their own expense.

rack04
06-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mark. :tu

RGD.
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Always wanted to get into it. Over the last 15 years and more I have bought, tapes, books (study guides) but just never seemed to have enough time to actually study them. Someday.

Ron

Bruins Fan
06-27-2009, 01:01 PM
-.-. --.- -.-. --.-

WildBlueSooner
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Very interesting..thanks for sharing.

The Poet
06-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Since the Morse from my Scout days is loooong gone, I'll fall back to smoke signals:

:ss

Savor the Stick
06-27-2009, 01:17 PM
My call sign is: KE6JXL---(Kevin--Born in "63--Just Extra Lovable)

These are assigned randomly, thought this was funny.

I will not be participating today. I have sold all my Ham equipment this year due to losing my job in January.

:dance::banger