PDA

View Full Version : 31 Things Every Man Should Own

CBI_2
06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
31 Things Every Man Should Own
per Esquire

1. Cast-Iron Skillet

It's not a specialty kitchen item, which means you can cook almost anything in it. Because you never use soap on it, it'll enrich your eggs and burgers and grilled cheese and fish fillets and rib eyes with the earned flavors of a well-used grill. It's impossible to break and can go in the oven. And it will last longer than you.

2. Valid Passport

You can't even go to Canada anymore without one. Not having a passport is like not having money.

3. Multipurpose Tool

It's not that it's better than any of the seventeen individual implements it contains. It's that its seventeen implements are good enough that you don't have to carry any of them individually.

4. Waiter's Corkscrew/Bottle Opener/Knife

Corkscrews should not be expensive. Or require instruction manuals.

5. Ax

Because you need something to make firewood out of the tree that fell across your driveway.

6. WD-40

If only for the door hinges. A man's house should involve no squeaking.

7. Cordless Drill

Electric hand tools should be cordless. Eighteen volts — contractor grade — is all the power you'll ever need.

8. Weekend Shoulder Bag

Which should fit the following: a cotton blazer, jeans, khaki shorts, swim trunks, two T-shirts, a button-down, flip-flops, white sneakers, a leather belt, two pairs underwear, two pairs socks, one Dopp kit (as dictated by Esquire's Big Black Book Spring 2009).

9. Giant Wool Blanket Never Removed from the Trunk of the Car

Because you could freeze to death without one. Also, it's good for a picnic.

10. Chain Saw

Because you need something to prepare the tree for the ax.

11. Work Gloves

Without a good pair of work gloves, you blister in five minutes of picking up an ax or a chain saw. You need two pairs: rubber-coated for winter, leather for summer.

12. Carpenter's Level

Because with a small one, you can level a picture. With this one, you can level a deck.

13. Boots for the Shop

Sneakers are not for the garage.

14. Boots for Everywhere Else

These are custom-fitted to your feet, so you won't go through two weeks of blistering and one week of healing before they're comfortable. And they're guaranteed for life, so you'll never buy another pair again.

15. Jack

Cars come with inferior jacks. You need a better one.

16.Claw Hammer

Because gravity. A good heavy hammer changes everything.

17. Coleman Lantern

An electric lantern makes your campsite look cold. This one makes it look warm.

18. Chef's Knife

With a good kitchen knife, you're holding something heavy and well-balanced. The food yields to it. Cooking becomes a craft, not a chore.

19. Flying Disc

This isn't the flimsy, feathery Frisbee you played with as a kid. It's the flying disc sanctioned by the Ultimate Players Association for its championship series.

20. U.S. Road Atlas

The man who only uses a GPS is half a man.

21. Air Pump

No electric model has improved on the ease or reliability of a well-built, hand-powered floor pump. And you can't take an electric one tubing on the river.

22. Jumper Cables

Not so much for you but for the stranger stuck in the parking lot.

23. Charcoal Grill

Gas grills are nice. We like the gas grill. But the metal kettle is crucial. Not because charcoal makes food taste better than a gas grill (it probably does, a little) but because with a charcoal grill you can smoke things. And smoking things can kill two, three, four hours. Hours of drinking and basting and Cigar smoking. Beautiful.

24. Card Holder

To be placed in the breast pocket of your jacket.

25. Pocket Knife

One with a two-and-a-half-inch blade: big enough for most jobs, small enough not to weigh you down.

26. Grease

None of that silicone-based, high-tech synthetic goop. Something made of dinosaurs. Something that smells like God's garage.

27. Lucky Charm

Because it gives the comfort of faith to the faithless — like when you really need the chain saw to start.

28. $1,000 Hidden in Your House

Because $500 is too little and $2,000 is too much.

29. LED Flashlight

LED flashlights are blindingly bright, shockproof, and, maybe best of all, run for a hundred hours on four AA batteries, which is at least seventy more hours than an incandescent bulb.

30. Money Clip

To be placed in the front pocket of your pants.

31. Joy of Cooking

It's the Old Testament of cookbooks. Low on bombast. Heavy on information. Lots of lists. It begat all others. And if you want to cook it, it's in there, including possum.

Looks like I need to go shopping. :r

kgoings
06-25-2009, 08:40 PM
32. A Palio - Because a cutter by any other name just doesnt cut it!

Mr. Ed
06-25-2009, 08:44 PM
[CENTER]
19. Flying Disc

This isn't the flimsy, feathery Frisbee you played with as a kid. It's the flying disc sanctioned by the Ultimate Players Association for its championship series.

Scratching my head about this one :confused:

longknocker
06-25-2009, 08:52 PM

33. Plenty of your favorite Cigars!:tu

zonedar
06-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Yeah, me to. Replace with a 1911 handgun.

jjirons69
06-25-2009, 10:23 PM
34. A pair of nail clippers in your front pocket.

bigloo
06-25-2009, 10:26 PM
35: Big Screen TV.

MajorCaptSilly
06-25-2009, 10:30 PM
36. Plastic vampire teeth.

MCS

adampc22
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
were is the sword cain on that list ?

DougBushBC
06-26-2009, 02:39 AM
34. A pair of nail clippers in your front pocket.

This is covered by:

3. Multipurpose Tool
It's not that it's better than any of the seventeen individual implements it contains. It's that its seventeen implements are good enough that you don't have to carry any of them individually.
And
25. Pocket Knife
One with a two-and-a-half-inch blade: big enough for most jobs, small enough not to weigh you down.
If you still need nail clippers after this, you are in trouble.

taltos
06-26-2009, 05:57 AM
37. Duct tape. Fixes anything.

dccraft
06-26-2009, 06:03 AM
38. Saltine crackers. Because you just never know.

kaisersozei
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM

I laughed because I have an Ultimate frisbee in my car trunk. Been a habit of having one around since--well--since college so many years ago. We'd "whip out the Bee" on Fridays after class.

I think I might find someone to throw with after work today! :banger

The Poet
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Growing up, I was taught a man should always have three things on him - cash, a pocket knife, and fire of some sort. Today it seems to be down to two - a cell phone and a credit card.

Take me, Jesus - I'm ready.

Starscream
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't have a passport.:(

SeanGAR
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah, you need some way of making fire. I'm not into zippos, but one would fit a "must" list better than a flying disk .. especially since the disk doesn't do a good job of lighting that grill.

TheTraveler
06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, you need some way of making fire. I'm not into zippos, but one would fit a "must" list better than a flying disk .. especially since the disk doesn't do a good job of lighting that grill.

You could conceivably kill a squirrel, bird or rabbit with it in a survival situation though. Or you could pan for gold, or catch rain water, or use it for a plate, or use it for a chamber pot ... or lose it on the neighbors roof playing drunken frisbee at 3 am! :)

trader1974
06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
37. Duct tape. Fixes anything.

Yep!:tu

rizzle
06-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm at 21/31.

gorob23
06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Take me, Jesus - I'm ready.

Don't cut the line :tpd:

Rob

Sorry all I really need, cigars, kestrel 200sci, swim gear and running shoes :banger

Mr. Ed
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I laughed because I have an Ultimate frisbee in my car trunk. Been a habit of having one around since--well--since college so many years ago. We'd "whip out the Bee" on Fridays after class.

I think I might find someone to throw with after work today! :banger

I would say if we could substitute I would put in a football, the good old pigskin, instead of a fancy-schmancy flying disk. :dance:

tobii3
06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't have a passport.:(

I'm already on my THIRD passport.....:tu

The Poet
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm already on my THIRD passport.....:tu

Under how many different names? :ss

TheTraveler
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Under how many different names? :ss

1. Manuel ... so he can sneak in and get the good sticks at the source.
2. Ivan ... so he can pick up the best vodka for Icehog3.
3. Bob ... so he can blend in anywhere.

:D :D

teotides
06-26-2009, 10:57 AM
#34. At least five surfboards but better to have around upwards of ten.

kydsid
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
38. Saltine crackers. Because you just never know.

I would vote for Sailor Boy Bread* instead. Lasts longer than a cockroach and has more nutrients than saltine crackers. :tu

*PS only old farts and Alaskans will even know what this stuff is, which one are you? LOL

Da Klugs
06-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Where do you get "The joy of cooking" I'm feeling incomplete. :) I stopped at "The joy of eating".

gorob23
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm feeling incomplete. :) I stopped at "The joy of eating".

You complete me :fu

Rob :tpd:

Da Klugs
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
You complete me :fu

Rob :tpd:

Quit bending over so much. :banger

shilala
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Where do you get "The joy of cooking" I'm feeling incomplete. :) I stopped at "The joy of eating".
I have a Lithuanian cookbook.
There's turnips in everything. There's even a recipe where you use lard and turnips and bacon grease, wrap it in cheesecloth, and hang it on the clothesline for a couple months.
Then you're supposed to eat it.
I'm not falling for it, but if you want the recipe I can try to look it up. :tu

Starchild
06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, me to. Replace with a 1911 handgun.

I think that could be counted under #21 Lucky Charm :tu

A handgun is honestly the first thing I thought of when I read #21

Skywalker
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Yeah!!!

33. Plenty of your favorite Cigars!:tu

F@#K Yeah!!!

And a Ronson Lighter :tu