PDA

View Full Version : Esencia Petit Corona

smokin5
06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry, no pics - this was one of the blind review smokes I recently did for Smoke Magazine's Summer '09 issue, & I just learned the identity.

Basic Info (after the fact):
Esencia Petit Corona
5-1/8" x 42 ring
Nicaraguan Puro (wrapper, binder, filler)
Cost: about $130/box of 21 (+/-)

Aesthetics – A good-looking nicely-capped cigar with dark brown wrapper and leathery feel. Some veins were apparent, but none were prominent. Prelight smell revealed little.
Score: 9.0

Construction – Tightly packed, it felt like a stick. The draw began somewhat tight, but soon loosened up to allow a generous amount of smoke. The burn stayed fairly even and never off enough to correct.. The ash was dark gray, light & crumbly.
Score: 9.0

Flavor & Strength – An initial blast of black & red pepper that largely overpowered the slight earth, wood & molasses in the background. About an inch in, the pepper subsided a bit – still present, but it now allowed in more of the earthy wood & ginger-spiked molasses. Definitely a strong & feisty fella. It progressed into a softer, creamier feel to the smoke while giving a spicy almost citrusy-sweetness and a purposeful afterbite. Full-bodied and flavorful to the end.
Score: 9.2

General Comments – This is a muscular smoke that offers a nice combination of flavors and power. Paired very well with bourbon on the rocks. The best of the 5 cigars I sampled this time around. Highly recommended.

Col. Kurtz
06-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the review! I'm loving these small RG sticks right now, and Nic puro is a definite plus!

BryanB
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Good review. I could not agree more. Awesome smoke.

md4958
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the review! Esenicas are among my favorite NC. The PCs are GREAT, but try the Beli too!

kaisersozei
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Great review, your taste profile of this cigar matches pretty closely to mine. I really like the Esencia, but every one I've had turns out a bit too potent for me. Almost like an amped up illusione. Nice cigars, though!

LasciviousXXX
06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
These are great cigars :tu

I wouldn't hesitate to buy some if you're considering it

darkninja67
06-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the review. I guess the Palio people know how to make cigars.

dunng
06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I give them a :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr rating...

shilala
06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I smoked one of these in a blind pre-release. It was poop.
I recently had a corona gorda and it wasn't bad. Not quite the blend for my taste, but I'd suggest you guys try one. Make sure they have some time on them.
That said, the gentleman who hosted the pre-release blind tests told the botl's involved he'd send some more to try, especially since many were green and were awful, mine included.
That never happened.
If he had rep here, I'd ding it. :)

kaisersozei
06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I smoked one of these in a blind pre-release. It was poop.
I recently had a corona gorda and it wasn't bad. Not quite the blend for my taste, but I'd suggest you guys try one. Make sure they have some time on them.
That said, the gentleman who hosted the pre-release blind tests told the botl's involved he'd send some more to try, especially since many were green and were awful, mine included.
That never happened.
If he had rep here, I'd ding it. :)

Hey, yea--I do remember him saying he'd send those once they went to general release?! :confused:

shilala
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey, yea--I do remember him saying he'd send those once they went to general release?! :confused:
Ya. That deserves a ding. Especially after the turd I had to smoke.