PDA

View Full Version : First personal firearm thread

kgoings
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
So I am not a newb to weapons. My dad had guns growing up and we used to do target practice in the fields and forests around my house. I also was in the military, was an expert with the M16 (I don't think that is saying much), I have fired 60's SAW's 9 mils. I was also an armorer in the military so I am familiar with disassembling and reassembling weapons, or I have the know-how and comfort to figure out how to maintain, clean, and repair a weapon.

So here is my question. I am looking for a first personal firearm. Not a rifle, I am looking for a handgun. And I am not looking to drop a fortune on some 'special' weapon. So what do you think? My interest in purchasing a firearm is for personal (and family) safety, and secondarily for target practice or fun shooting.

Thanks ahead of time for all input. :tu

icehog3
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I have no say in what I carry on the job, but for my off duty handgun my choice is a Sig Sauer P220 45. Excellent weapon, accurate, well made, won't break the bank, with adequate stopping power.

white_s2k
06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I've been using a Springfield XD-9 for 3 years now and absolutely love it. Great price, very accurate and can take a beating and keep on performing well.

kgoings
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys!

I also want to know about gun safes that you guys use. I have kids in the house. And I WILL not be one of those that end up on the news because of an 'accident' at home.

I am ALL about safety when it comes to my kids, maybe in excess. My wife calls me the Boat Nazi, because of how serious I am about boating safety. Boating is all about having fun, but not at the expense of safety. :tu

icehog3
06-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Absolutely take every precatuion with kids at home. :tu

I can't speak for gun safes, as I don't have kids....mine is within arm's reach while I sleep, armed and ready...I would need to rethink that if I had children.

kaelaria
06-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Can't help with the safe - I do keep some of mine in a nightstand safe with a digital pop release, but if the kids find the key...(I don't have any)

I still go back to the Sig P229 after trying many others and still owning others. Most new shooters however like the Sig Pro better when I bring them to a range, but the P229 just shoots better in my hand. It's a very personal choice, there's no substitute for range time with a whole bunch of potentials - start renting!

Savor the Stick
06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
So I am not a newb to weapons. My dad had guns growing up and we used to do target practice in the fields and forests around my house. I also was in the military, was an expert with the M16 (I don't think that is saying much), I have fired 60's SAW's 9 mils. I was also an armorer in the military so I am familiar with disassembling and reassembling weapons, or I have the know-how and comfort to figure out how to maintain, clean, and repair a weapon.

So here is my question. I am looking for a first personal firearm. Not a rifle, I am looking for a handgun. And I am not looking to drop a fortune on some 'special' weapon. So what do you think? My interest in purchasing a firearm is for personal (and family) safety, and secondarily for target practice or fun shooting.

Thanks ahead of time for all input. :tu

Kirk,

One of the guns I first had and had a load of fun with is a regular slab side Government .45 acp. I would not go with Colt (highly overpriced) but Springfield Armory. With your experience with weapons this would be a lot of fun to tweak it and put night sights, grips, extended safeties, trigger jobs, etc. good home defense gun, from the safety issue you can have the mag out, hammer down on an empty chamber....and yet get it into battery very quickly by putting the mag in and racking the slide; not something very easily done by children....How old are you kids?
But above all you need to be comfortable with the weapon; I have always suggested to people I know to go to a range that rents the guns and try out several.
I love the .45 caliber....and love the simplistic nature of the old slab side venerable government .45. This gun won't break the bank either.

Let us know what you choose...
Best to you and yours,
K

Never forget raising kids in a home with a gun...it's about training them to respect them (the earlier the better) as the tools they are...and not toys....you already know that but others might read this also.

awsmith4
06-24-2009, 12:40 AM
http://i10.tinypic.com/29oigqu.jpg

This is what my buddy uses and has it attached under the night stand, Google 'handgun safe' and it will show up. I only have shotguns and the one I keep ready is trigger locked but I myself will be getting a handgun soon and this safe is what I plan on getting

Savor the Stick
06-24-2009, 12:51 AM

This is what my buddy uses and has it attached under the night stand, Google 'handgun safe' and it will show up. I only have shotguns and the one I keep ready is trigger locked but I myself will be getting a handgun soon and this safe is what I plan on getting

Yup got that gun!:D

Wolfgang
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I love my glock 19. NEVER ever had any malfunctions. It will eat any ammo you throw at it . PLUS is wont leave you homeless at about $500+\-

I have this save in my night stand. Its very small and purpose made. Keypad for easy entry, and keyed lock if the battery dies.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3541266

Azpostal
06-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I think one of the best values out there for handguns are any SA XD. I have both the 9mm and 40mm and they shoot straight right out of the box.

Ratters
06-24-2009, 02:30 AM
There are lots of good firearms out there. If you have a range that rents firearms I suggest trying different ones to see what works best for you. Guns are like smokes, not everyone likes the same thing. I have a Glock 23 sitting under the pillow right next to me, but I like it because there's no external safeties to get in the way. But I have no kids and don't worry about such things.

If you have kids in the house look into a safe that bolts under the bed like the gunvault (http://www.gunvault.com/). It will keep a gun locked up but easily accessed in your bedroom. I have a large safe for my guns in the "Armory" room. If you want a full size safe Costco has a decent one on sale right now.

Hope you find what works for ya.

Flat4boxer
06-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Get what you are comfortable with and can opperate easily. Several good guns have been mentioned already and you could not go wrong with any of them. A Smith and Wesson M&P is also a good choice. Compare price and find something that fits well in your hand and you'll be just fine.

I have a Liberty safe 24cf. Just like humidors, buy more safe than you think you'll need.

:2

Smokin Gator
06-24-2009, 04:35 AM
For home defense I have a Ruger Security Six. It is simple, reliable, a blast to shoot for practice, and can be found (used) in great shape for about $350. I also keep a Mossberg 500 under the bed.

For a carry pistol I love my SW Airweight 38. It is not much fun for practice but is light/small enough to be a everyday concealed carry.

Lots of options out there, but those work for me. For straight up home defense though a shotgun has a lot of plusses.

Flat4boxer
06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Lots of options out there, but those work for me. For straight up home defense though a shotgun has a lot of plusses.

I concour with Gator on that point as well. :tu

elderboy02
06-24-2009, 05:02 AM
I recommend a Glock 23 (.40 S&W). It is a great size without sacrificing stopping power. I love the fact that there are no safeties. Also, if you can't afford to shoot .40's all the time, you can buy a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags and shoot 9mm. Then you have a Glock 19 ;)

That is a great safe to use :tu

Starchild
06-24-2009, 05:02 AM
I've got the same issue with a kid in the house. You want the weapon secure, but accessible if you need it. I've got a small gun vault (http://www.gunvault.com/) as others have referenced.

Personally, I've got a Glock 26 for range and HD. I use 17 rd mags with a grip extender. The other one I've been looking at is a Bersa Thunder in 45acp. I've shot a friends, and it was a nice gun at a good price.

elderboy02
06-24-2009, 05:06 AM
I forgot to add.... Don't buy anything that says Taurus on it.

I have a revolver that is complete crap and the cust. serv. says they fixed it, but they didn't.

Stay away!

Moglman
06-24-2009, 05:44 AM
My primary weapons are a Sig P229 and a Sig P239, both in .40 because they fit me, are 100% reliable and are of incredible workmanship. Find a range that will rent you different guns to try. Your decision should be based on what feels right in your hand and what feels right during live fire.

akakirby
06-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Glock 19 would be my choice.

blooz4u
06-24-2009, 06:21 AM
I've got two H&K .40's. One compact I use as a conceal / carry, and the other, a full size, LE model (trigger mod, tritium nightsites) that I keep for home security. I also have a small gun safe with digital push-button access by the bed, as I have a 3 year old, and a wife who is afraid of guns.

I'd like it to be a bit more accessible, just in case something happens at 3am, but I haven't found another way of securing it in the house.

floydpink
06-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Lots of good advice and good guns mentioned, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I have been through lots of handguns and finally settled on a Smith and Wesson Airweight 38 special as my every day carry. I finally settled on it after my brother, who is a Sgt of a police dept up north told me about his everyday carry and he can chose anything he wants off duty.

I like the simplicity of a revolver as well as knowing it's always gonna go bang if I unfortunately need it to.

Very easy to operate, relatively safe, easy to clean, etc.

I also put the Crimson Trace laser grips on mine which might have been a waste of money, but I love them and my eyesight is going bad.

I keep mine in the front pocket of my cargo shorts all the time and usually don't even notice it's there.

In Florida's heat and my normal attire, I can't imagine carrying something like a Glock inside my waistband all day long.

The most common complaint I hear about revolvers is that they only carry 5 or 6 rounds, but if I need more than that, I feel I am in a gunfight I will probably be losing anyway.

As far as stopping power goes, I keep Speer Gold Dot 135 grain hollowpoints in it and feel very confident of them as well as my ability to make all 5 shots count.

As far as gun safes go, I feel that if I am being invaded, the chances of me getting in a safe in time to save my family wouldn't be good.

With kids, I think educating them as well as taking away the curiosity and not leaving the gun around is key, but might be wrong.

replicant_argent
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
The most common complaint I hear about revolvers is that they only carry 5 or 6 rounds, but if I need more than that, I feel I am in a gunfight I will probably be losing anyway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=243389
No one ever said "I had too much ammo." A simple solution and a slight behavior modification for EDC is far better, IMHO, than a defeatist attitude. ;)

floydpink
06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I forgot to add.... Don't buy anything that says Taurus on it.
I have a revolver that is complete crap and the cust. serv. says they fixed it, but they didn't.

Stay away!

VERY true. Had the 357. Junk made in Brazil from inferior parts, especially the metal.

Also NEVER EVER buy anything that says Kel Tec, no matter how easy the salesman says it is to carry.

Replicant, I have the speed strips loaded in my glove box just in case.

replicant_argent
06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Replicant, I have the speed strips loaded in my glove box just in case.

You have a glove box on your scooter? ;) Cool, Pete.... :fu:r Some people don't think they have a good option for reloads with revolvers, and think they need a "bulky" speed loader they would either have to put on a belt, (really? I don't think I would) or stuff in a pocket, (Golf ball in your pants, anyone?) Just throwing it out there, speed strips are a pretty elegant solution. If I was carrying a revolver, I would definitely do strips in something like this:
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/RoughPouch.htm
(local guy, makes nice stuff and is very affordable, gratuitous plug)

Agent11br
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
I'd also recommend a Glock 19. It was recommended three times in this thread alone by other BOTLs. My G19 has had all sorts of different "quality level" ammo thrown through it and has always been reliable. It has never jammed up and is very forgiving on the maintenance side.

If you are going concealed frequently I'd take a look at the G26, which Starchild mentioned. It's slightl smaller & the pinky extender for the clip is must IMO. I've debated about switching over to one but don't want to spend $ on another sidearm right now.

You could also do what elderboy02 rec'd, snag a .40 glock and buy the 9mm barrel for range use. :tu

IMO, a lot of it is personal preference. Set a budget. Then you need to decide a primary caliber choice and go a local range and try shooting their rentals to see what sidearm works best for you. If you are going to carry concealed that's another aspect to take into consideration. I'm only 5'9" and 140lbs, so for me to try and rock out even a Walther P99 and have it hidden is going to be a challenge depending on what I'm wearing.

Sigs are awesome too, very accurate. Still, for all around use and reliability, my vote is with any Glock. :ss

ahc4353
06-24-2009, 07:54 AM
If your talking home protection I would go with a Thompson Center Contender with a 410ga barrel loaded with #9 shot. Unless your a seasoned shooter you will want the "wider" coverage a shotgun gives you in that millisecond you have to respond to an intruder. :tu Then add another barrel of whatever caliber you want for fun target shooting as this gun can accommodate both. Some used ones will not break the bank.

http://www.gunsport.com/TC_.45-.410.jpg

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Glock, Sig, and SA make the best handguns. Choose which caliber you want/need and shoot all three different guns. I think that would be a good way to do it. You know your getting an outstanding firearm. :2

(For those of you who don't live in the land of Lincoln, you are lucky and don't have a constitutional right taken away.)
http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

DPD6030
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I used to have a glock 23 .40 cal for my personal carry. I sold it. For duty carry they issued me a glock 23 so I was very familiar with this gun. Ahh the memories. It is a reliable gun IMO and I have never had any problems with it (misfires, stovepipes, ect.). It's fairly lightweight and concealable. I'd rather have a .40 than a 9mm and if I could afford it I'd rather have a .45 :D

68TriShield
06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
(For those of you who don't live in the land of Lincoln, you are lucky and don't have a constitutional right taken away.)
http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

We Marylanders feel your pain :(

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Dave, I didn't know you guys couldn't carry either. I thought it was just Illinois and Wisconsin. That sucks:(

Biglizard1
06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I dont want to start a banter about which is better, but please reconsider Taurus if you are looking at 45 autos, I have been very pleased with my PT1911 and have well over 3K of rounds through it, Dependable rides every where I go. Yes I have owned several diferent makes of autos and revolvers, I reload to satisfy my habits and there is a slew of good high quality guns out there. Take what you receive from here and try to get your hands on some that intrigue you.
Other makes I would trust my life to

Kahr
Ruger
Springfield Armory XD or 1911
Taurus
Glock
S&W
Sig Sauer

The list is longer but there is a lot of reading ahead for you.
There are some that lend better to carry/ defense than they do to targets and vice versa.

Pick the one that will satisfy your primary goal.
Just my opinion,
YMMV
-David

Bruins Fan
06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
My carry gun is a Colt M1991A1 45. I have used it a few times to protect my dog from coyotes. ;)

Thrak
06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
You really should get to a range and rent some.. for ex. I know Glocks are pretty reliable (except the ka-boom .40s :p) but I shoot them horribly. The grip angle just doesnt work for me.

On the other hand my buddy is very accurate with his.

Personally, I'm a Sig guy. P229,9mm vintage P220 and a P250 have all been perfect for me. Cant got wrong w/ a 229 and you can find CPO's for significantly less than brand new.

bonjing
06-24-2009, 06:45 PM
You can't go wrong with any of the recommended firearms here. Just remember the most important thing here is that it fits you, and you can shoot it well. Like others have mentioned try a few out before you buy. I use a Sig Sauer P220 while working at the range, but at home i use a S&W 686 loaded with golddot +p 38spcl.

The reason for the revolver at home is my gf does not shoot as much as i'd like her too and has trouble manipulating a semi-auto; last thing i want is jam that she cannot clear. I showed her how to use it and refresh her every so often, and it seems like she has it down.

now I'm not saying that a revolver NEVER jams/malfunctions, but it seems that a revolver is less prone to user error. ;)

floydpink
06-24-2009, 08:08 PM
and if it does misfire, pull the trigger again.

I'm beyond convincing otherwise that a revolver is the way to go.

Heck those old cowboys left em in the dust and they still fired at high noon.

Wolfgang
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Heck those old cowboys left em in the dust and they still fired at high noon.

You can do the same thing with a glock ;) :r

Glocks are like crowbars, ugly and just as reliable

GhostRyder
06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Glock 19. Not a better handgun in the world for all around use. I prefer 9mm as well thanks to modern bullet/powder technology. Yeah it is only a .3 inch hole, but when the HP expands you can get some pretty wicked wound cavities. And with that 19 I can put 15+1 downrange pretty quickly (and accurately). Now, thats just my 2 cents, but you really need to try a bunch of different weapons for yourself. I love 1911s (Kimber, SA, etc) and I'm a Sig and HK fan. I hear good things about M&Ps as well. So, try them all, for me though, gotta stick with my Glock.

markem
06-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Hand guns are real person preference type of things. Is there a range nearby where you can rent some hand guns to see what fits your hand and eye? I was very accurate with my Glock 19 but sold it last year when I found I wasn't shooting much anymore.

For home defense, I have an aluminum baseball bat. I figure that all I need is time enough to get everyone safely out of the house. They can have everything in the house as things aren't important.

But if I wanted something for home defense, it would be a 20 gauge shotgun. Excellent stopping power, very accurate with practice and the pellets won't travel across the street and kill a neighbor.

Roland of Gilead
06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I have been very, very happy with my Glock 23.

-Mark.

alley00p
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Also NEVER EVER buy anything that says Kel Tec, no matter how easy the salesman says it is to carry.

Personally, I can't agree about the KelTec... with a little work, the .32acp is a nice pocket pistol. From the factory, it is hard to shoot due to the stiff trigger, but they are easy to work on and will eat any hollow point ammo that I have tried.

My normal carry gun is a Springfield V-10 .45acp. It has a compensated 4.5" barrel and holds 7 rounds + one up the pipe.

I have other .45's, some .40S&W pistols, 9mm pistols, 357's, & a .44mag w/ 5" barrel, all that I have carried at one time, but I like a .45 the best.

In USPSA/IPSC competiton, I use a ParaOrdinance P14-45 double stack with custom trigger, safety and mag release work on it. I'd carry that, but it's just a tad too big to lug around on a daily basis.

I agree with the others, though - find a range that rents handguns out and try them out until you find something that you like.

:dance:

icehog3
06-25-2009, 12:26 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the recommended firearms here. Just remember the most important thing here is that it fits you, and you can shoot it well.

Well said.:tu

For me personally, I see the Glock as a reliable and well made handgun....I just am more comfortable with, and shoot better with, a Sig Sauer. You should take the "rent at the range" advice of some others here and find out what "fits" you best.

JE3146
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Family Safety First = 12 guage shotgun

Get a Remington 870 HD Express and load it with loose spread bird shot, then top it with 1 close spread 00 Buck round.

The shot penetration of even a handgun is going to be enough to cause harm well past the 'intended target.'

Not to mention racking a shotgun in a dark lit house is enough to make anyone piss their pants...

As for handguns... Glock 19, Sig P229 and HK USP Compact all earn my stamp of approval. Just depends if you like paddle release vs button, polymer vs metal, striker vs DA/SA.. etc etc.

All this is my .02

darkninja67
06-25-2009, 01:32 AM
The Glock G23 would be at the top of my short list.
Extremely reliable and easy to shoot.
Definitely try before you buy and see which firearm fits your hand best and see how easy it is to operate safeties and mag releases.

elderboy02
06-25-2009, 04:55 AM
But if I wanted something for home defense, it would be a 20 gauge shotgun. Excellent stopping power, very accurate with practice and the pellets won't travel across the street and kill a neighbor.

Here is a great and well written article about buckshot: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886723

Mark C
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Here is a great and well written article about buckshot: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886723

Good article, but I didn't see much discussion about 00 vs #4 shot. I read something somewhere else that said at close range, where you have a good chance of hitting with ALL pellets, the additional pellets in the #4 shell make that a more powerful load. Food for thought.

Here's the ballistic tests: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958&sid=d7f58ff8abd44d985027cf8ed4552db8

floydpink
06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I keep a Mossberg 500 shotgun hidden for home defense and recently came upon some interesting ammo I am thinking about buying.. The double load "pitbull" is the one that caught my eye.

Not sure how a jury would take the name regardless of the castle doctrine in Florida.

Not sure how my wife would feel about the door breachers or the incediary rounds. Flame thrower rounds would certainly address any home invasion issues though.

I'm kinda surprised they sell this stuff to the public...

Brings back memories of the Black Talons.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/12-gauge-specialty-ammo

Any thoughts fellow 2nd ammendment lovers?

DPD6030
06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Sauer Grapes
06-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Let me also talk about how much I like Sigs. Also, the HK P2000 is a fine gun.

floydpink
06-25-2009, 09:51 PM
If the Navy SEALS use the Sig Sauer P226, it can't be bad....

Wolfgang
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
For $1200 it better be auto aiming.

Catfish
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
My primary carry weapon in a Springfield XDM in .40cal. I love it.

As far as home defense / child safety, my personal preference is a Remington 870. Added features are a light, adjustable stock and ammo rail.

My children are familiar with the family weapons, know their utility and the mystery factor has been removed with familiarity training. They shoot the gun, they clean the guns and have been educated and trained as to their utility and purpose.

The most important thing to teach, IMPO are the 4 basic rules of gun safety and they can never be denied.

Catfish
06-25-2009, 11:37 PM
BTW..Great thread. I love firearms discussions.