PDA

View Full Version : Chili: Beans or not?

rhdad42
10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
My wife's a fantastic cook, so I don't cook a lot in our house. Essentially, if it's not bbq, lasagna or chili, I'm out of the kitchen.

Now, with the cooler weather finally here, it's time to start making some chili! Typically, I make about 5 lbs at a time, using cubes instead of ground beef. I like fresh peppers instead of dried, but I use what I can get my hands on at the time. Bacon is a key ingredient, I add Vidalia onions for a little sweetness, and beer and tequila are absolute necessities.

Serve it atop some rice with some grated cheese, throw in a few pieces of cornbread, and I'm in heaven!

One thing you'll notice is missing is beans. I don't believe chili should have beans in it (partially because I can't eat beans -- the dry, mushy texture doesn't work for me). My wife likes them, as do our friends who come over to eat with us. I cook them on the side, using a bit of the broth from the chili pot, and they can add as they please.

Your thoughts?

md4958
10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
NO BEANS!!!

Sounds like youve got a delish dish there bro.

I hate beans also...

I believe (and Im sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that competition chili is beanless- meat only (and chunks of meat, not hamburger)

chippewastud79
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I can it eat with beans or without. Personally I make mine with beans and ground beef. But I may start trying to make chili with the cubed or chopped beef soon. I had the pleasure of judging a few chili competitions (nothing big, just a few school fundraisers) and I tended to like the chili(s) with different ingredients or flavors like pork, chicken, a hint of barbeque, etc. :dr

That being said, Skyline Chili must be served without beans :tu

tsolomon
10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I like beans in my chili, but it's not a requirement. Just don't use the kidney beans out of a can, get some real beans and cook them right. I have been through a number of chili recipes, but found this one a couple of years ago. It uses Ancho and Chipotles that you make into a sauce and then add it to the pot. I like the part about the Huxtables and waiting for the chili to be great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DING-DONG-EIGHT-ALARM-CHILI-108488

VirtualSmitty
10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I prefer my chili to have beans.

rhdad42
10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I like beans in my chili, but it's not a requirement. Just don't use the kidney beans out of a can, get some real beans and cook them right. I have been through a number of chili recipes, but found this one a couple of years ago. It uses Ancho and Chipotles that you make into a sauce and then add it to the pot. I like the part about the Huxtables and waiting for the chili to be great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DING-DONG-EIGHT-ALARM-CHILI-108488

I have to agree on the waiting part. It always tastes better as leftovers.

tnip23
10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Chili purists will say no beans. I however am not a purist, I like beans and add them along with beef (chunks and ground) fresh peppers and onions, canned and fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, canned chipotles, salt, pepper, ancho chile powder,a little raw sugar, cumin, oregano, dark cocoa pwdr, cinnamon, and beer. I make a big batch every labor day weekend for my party, don't get any complaints. (except a little grumbling from my wife who also doesn't like beans and just picks them out)

Smokin Gator
10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I do beans... half kidney and half pinto. For meat I use chunks of BBQed brisket. Not to brag or anything... but it is the BOMB!!

md4958
10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
dark cocoa pwdr,

never thought of adding that.. does it really add to the dish?

I do agree that chili, and most stews, taste better the next day.

St. Lou Stu
10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
I do agree that chili, and most stews, taste better the next day.

I hear that brotha!

And.... I prefer beans as well.
I can do without, but my world famous chili has beans.

AD720
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Not a chili purist by a long shot here, so I like my chili with lots of beans, served over white rice with shredded cheddar on top.

Scottw
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
I prefer without beans but my wife does throw them in there. I also like it hotter than hell. Got a receipe on another forum for a smoked brisket chili, must be gooooooooodd.......

icehog3
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I vote "Beans"!!

Jbailey
10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm a bean man myself.

markem
10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
If it tastes good, I'll eat it without regard to beans.

I have recipes for both ways. The most recent batch had beans, but more often I make it without.

Clampdown
10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
I hate the consistency of beans so I will just eat around them if they are present.

ahc4353
10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Funny, I'm having chili as I type.

Anyway, chili is not chili if you have no beans.

This is non debatable. :)

Next question.

Diesel Kinevel
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I use fresh venison and beans.....to each his own, its all good for the most part:tu

SeanGAR
10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I will eat anything but make mine with beans.

kaisersozei
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I have two chili recipes I swear by: one with beans, one without. The one with beans also has sirloin tips, andouille and bacon :tu

While up in DC for a meeting not too long ago, I had lunch at the Smithsonian American Indian Museum. They have a very interesting cafe, serving tribal foods from various native cultures (Plains, Woodland, Northwest, South American, etc.) I had buffalo chili, which was great. :dr

spincycle
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
+1 for Beans. Helps keep things moving too! :ss

tnip23
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
never thought of adding that.. does it really add to the dish?

I think that the dark cocoa adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish, it's something you don't use a whole lot of, but it really goes well. Many mexican mole' sauces contain chocolate as well.

On a side note, this thread has inspired me to thaw out a bag of my chili, leftover from labor day, to have for MNF tonight.

livwire68
10-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I do beans... half kidney and half pinto. For meat I use chunks of BBQed brisket. Not to brag or anything... but it is the BOMB!!

I usually just do a pot of pinto's and add my pulled pork or brisket. I really have not made chili, but was thinking of doing the same. Put me in for beans with chili.

DrDubzz
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
If it's the/a main course, I like it to have beans

if it's a topping (like on a chili dog) then I prefer no beans

KidRock
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Without Beans!! :ss

jjirons69
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
For hotdogs and hamburgers, no beans.

For stand-alone chili, beans, red or kidney.

jquirit
10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
For my chili it's usually with beans (pinto and white). Trying to eat better, so the added beans give me some added fiber I need in my diet.

doctorcue
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
If it's the/a main course, I like it to have beans

if it's a topping (like on a chili dog) then I prefer no beans

That makes perfect sense! I agree completely.

bigloo
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
No beans, ever. As far as beans make is healthier is concerned, I think the 1lbs of cheez I lay on top would need to go before I started to try make chili healthy:) but hey, eat what you like, like what you eat (hey, mmm, where have I heard something similar to that before).

jledou
10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Beans for me and usually multiple types. The total number of different types (black, kidney, pinto and or navy) depends on the size of the pot.

Just made a large crockpot last night.

D_A
10-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I definitely like beans in my chili, but not canned beans.

Buckeye Jack
10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Texas style is the only way I make mine.....No beans!

SvilleKid
10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I fall into the "with Beans" category, simply because I like beans in my chili. Always have. Of course, that is for stand alone chili. On hot dogs, strictly bean free!

I generally make mine with a combination of ground Venison and cubed venison. Haven't made it with beef in several years. Actually laid out 2 pounds of venison to thaw for cubing for chili in the next day or two. Mainly use fresh pepper from the garden, but I picked them all a couple of weeks ago to clear the space for turning under for winter. That reminds me, I have to go pull some peppers out of the freezer for the chili.

An additional dimension to this discussion: What do you eat with your chili??

I prefer grilled cheese sandwiches, but will eat with cheese and chips as an alternative. Even been known to eat it without additional sides. But, always with beans.

TonySmith
10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Texas style is the only way I make mine.....No beans!

I vote no beans.
I like beans, just not in chili

White97Jimmy
10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll eat it either way. When I make it in my crock pot, I usually throw some in, along with some corn.

macpappy
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Born a Texan, raised a Texan, eat chili like a Texan.

It was originally called chili con carne and it didn't have beans in it. It didn't have bacon in it. You don't serve it over rice.

All it is is cubed or ground beef with chili peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and cooked over a slow fire in a cast iron dutch oven. It was made by the camp cook while the ranch hands were out on the range. It was served with warm tortillas or cornbread.

Then there was a desire to stretch the chili to feed more people, so the cooks started adding tomatoes and beans. BUT THEY STILL DIDN'T SERVE IT OVER RICE.

Then there is that stuff they call hot dog chili which is usually just a liquified chili.

Now, good chili can be made with beef, buffalo, venison, or even elk. IF IT'S MADE USING CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLES OR SOY PRODUCTS DON'T CALL IT CHILI. Call it soup or stew or something but it ain't chili.

Now, all that being said, I occasionally like to have my chili (with or without beans) over Frito corn chips and topped with red onions and cheese.

Chili doesn't have to be hot to be good. However, when I'm cooking chili people know it's right when they walk into the kitchen and break out in a sweat. I measure how hot the chili by the number of beers you have to drink per bowl. I like two beers to the bowl.

ucla695
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't feel strongly either way, but I tend to prefer my chili with beans. I feel it adds to the texture and taste. Actually, come to think of it, I don't recall eating it without.

jcarlton
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Without beans for me served with diced onion and shredded extra sharp cheddar. I will eat chili with beans but this http://www.buttercreamdreams.com/smilies/fart2.gif becomes a real possibility.

TonySmith
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM

It was originally called chili con carne and it didn't have beans in it. It didn't have bacon in it. You don't serve it over rice.

All it is is cubed or ground beef with chili peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and cooked over a slow fire in a cast iron dutch oven. It was made by the camp cook while the ranch hands were out on the range. It was served with warm tortillas or cornbread.

Then there was a desire to stretch the chili to feed more people, so the cooks started adding tomatoes and beans. BUT THEY STILL DIDN'T SERVE IT OVER RICE.

Then there is that stuff they call hot dog chili which is usually just a liquified chili.

Now, good chili can be made with beef, buffalo, venison, or even elk. IF IT'S MADE USING CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLES OR SOY PRODUCTS DON'T CALL IT CHILI. Call it soup or stew or something but it ain't chili.

Now, all that being said, I occasionally like to have my chili (with or without beans) over Frito corn chips and topped with red onions and cheese.

Chili doesn't have to be hot to be good. However, when I'm cooking chili people know it's right when they walk into the kitchen and break out in a sweat. I measure how hot the chili by the number of beers you have to drink per bowl. I like two beers to the bowl.

:tpd: It needs to be hot:fl

chippewastud79
10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
This thread inspired some home made chili, can't wait until tommorow :dr

ConMan
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I always add some beans to the Chili.... but I do take it easy on 'em.

Demented
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Traditional Texas style chili is made without beans, it can be made with ground or cut meat.

Like chili with or without beans, I always use 3 types of beans and 3 types of meat when making chili, feel it makes it more interesting.

Opusfxd
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
No beans. I also cut my meat into little bitty peices.

Mark C
10-21-2008, 05:45 AM
no beans = not chili.

Ron1YY
10-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Most of the time I make it with beans. Personally, I prefer it without.

In chili competitions, you are not allowed to put beans in your chili.

I'm the kind of person that looks online for just about everything. In my searches, I hit a goldmine!!!!! I'll find it and post it here. There is somewhere(And Like I said, I'll link it) on the web, every recipe for the last 40 years, the winner of the world chili cookoff.

If this thread spins off into a ful blown chili thread, I'll start posting each recipe!!!!!

Ron

white_s2k
10-21-2008, 06:28 AM
I usually make my chili with 3 pounds of meat and will add in 1 can of beans.. not too much.

ucla695
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
:tpd: It needs to be hot:fl

:tpd: Great point! :tu

elderboy02
10-21-2008, 06:55 AM
No beans!

My favorite is Skyline Chili.

I order a cheese coney with no onions or mustard and a 3-Way (Chili, Spaghetti, and Cheese) when I get Skyline! :dr

chippewastud79
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Made some chili from the inspiration of this thread. It was damn tasty :dr

A little different then what I normally make, but good :tu

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/chippewastud79/Cigars/IMG_0037.jpg

Ron1YY
10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks Good Chip!!!!!!!

How about I start spilling those Recipes!!!!!

Ron

Ron1YY
10-21-2008, 06:00 PM
1967 World Champion Chili Recipe

Winner - H. Allen Smith / Wick Fowler

Ingredients:
4 lbs course-ground chopped sirloin or tenderloin
olive oil or butter
1-2 small cans tomato paste, with water
OR fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
OR canned tomatoes pressed through a colander
3-4 medium onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-10 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS oregano
1/2 TSP sweet basil
1 TBS cumin seed or ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 TBS (or more) chili power
OR some chili pods

Instructions:
In a 4-quart pot, brown meat in oil or butter or in a blend of the two. Add the remaining ingredients, Simmer 2-3 hours with the lid on.

Enjoy

Ron1YY
10-21-2008, 06:04 PM
1968 World Champion Chili Recipe

Winner - Woody DeSilva's Champion Chili

Ingredients:

5 medium onions, chopped
small amount cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
4 lbs chuck beef, course chili grind or chopped into thumbnail-size pieced
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 TSB oregano
2 TSP woodruff (an herb)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 TSB paprika
scant teaspoon to full teaspoon chipenos (also known as chilipiquines), crushed (available at stores stocking Mexican groceries)
4 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 10-ounce cans tomato paste
1 6-ounce cam tomato paste water
4 TSB flour masa flour (available at stores stocking Mexican groceries)

Instructions:

In a skillet, brown onion in oil, seasoning with salt and pepper. Place in chili pot. Brown beef in skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Add garlic and 1 TSB of the oregano. Add this mixture to the chili pot.

In a paper sack, shake together the woodruff, cayenne pepper, paprika, New Mexico chili powder, cumin, the remaining 3 TSB oregano and the chipeno. Add the blended spices to the chili pot. Brown beef in chili pot with the Tabasco sauce, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add enough water to cover the meat and simmer at least 2 hours.

Cool the chili; refrigerate it overnight. Skim off the excess grease. Reheat the chili to the boiling point and stir in a paste made of the flour and a little water to thicken the mixture. Stir constantly to prevent sticking and scorching, adding water as necessary for the desired texture.

Aladdin Sane
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
BEANS!!!!

:lv

and a lot of cumin

kgraybill
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Beans for me! I tend to overdo it with the beans and the wife only wants me to make it when I'm going out for a while:lv. I use kidney and pork & beans. the pork & beans sweeten it up a bit. I like it HOT so I have to make one pot hot and another medium for the others.

opus
10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes!

chippewastud79
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Here is the guestimate of the recipe I used for the chili I made above.

3 lbs cubed beef
1 super can of light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans Mexi-corn (the one with the peppers in it)
1 med. onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (I chose the orange)
3 jalapenos chopped (more if you like)
1 jar roasted red peppers chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes (chipotle style or with peppers)
Chili powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Cumin

Turn on your slow cooker to "LOW"
ADD Beans and tomatoes and corn.
STIR to combine
COOK beef in a pan to about medium with chili powder, onion powder and paprika
ADD beef and juices to the slow cooker
STIR to combine
SAUTE onion, pepper, jalapenos and roasted red peppers
ADD to slow cooker
STIR to combine
ADD cumin and chili powder and any other spices you may like to taste
COOK on "Low" for atleast 2 Hours

It is just some basic thing I threw together yesterday, hope someone else tries it and likes it :tu

macpappy
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
If you add corn or any vegetable other than tomatoes, onion, garlic and beans then it is not chili. It's a thick soup.

silentjon
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I prefer mine with beans. Lots of them.

Tex
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Spoken like a true native son. Couldn't agree more. Matter of fact, though, my wife (who's not from Texas) asked me tonight to make some chili, but only if it didn't burn both ways like it usually does!:r

basil
10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I usually just do a pot of pinto's and add my pulled pork or brisket. I really have not made chili, but was thinking of doing the same. Put me in for beans with chili.

My mom does this. But she doesn't call it chili

An additional dimension to this discussion: What do you eat with your chili??

Saltine crackers or cornbread.

If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got know beans. "Chili" is "chili con carne" shortened, and refers not just to the chili pepper, but a preparation using chili peppers and various spices. With meat added. I've eaten at a lot of Mexican food joints and I've never seen chili con carne y frijoles, or chili con carne y arroz on any menu.

Having said all that, I use a recipe called "Chili Blanco" that calls for chicken, great northern white beans, and green chilis (Anaheim is best). Garnished with green onion and grated pepper jack. It is awesome.

Comicbookfreak
10-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Bean!

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/CARmageddon1591.jpg

Ron1YY
10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Where did I leave off at.... Oh yeah, 1969. As it turns out, this is one of the 2 or 3 that are multiple winners

1969 & 1971 Wold Champion Chili Recipe

Winner - C.V. Wood's World's Championship Chili

Ingredients:

1 3-pound stewing chicken, cut into pieces
1 ½ quarts water
OR 10-ounce cans chicken broth s
½ pound beef suet
OR ½ cup Wesson oil
4 lbs flank steak
5 lbs thin, center-cut pork shops
6 long green chilies, peeled
2 TSP sugar
3 TSP ground oregano
3 TSP ground cumin
½ TSP MSG (optional)
3 TSP pepper
4 TSP salt
5 TBS Gebhardt chili powder
1 TSP cilantro, also known as chinese parsley
1 TSP thyme
8 ounces Budweiser beer
4 15-ounce cans Hunts Tomatoes
¼ cup celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 medium onions, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 green peppers, cut into 3/8 inch pieces
1 pound Jack cheese, grated
1 lime -- Dash of Tabasco sauce

Instructions:

Combine chicken with water in a large pot and simmer 2 hours. Strain off broth and reserve chicken for other use, or use canned chicken broth. Render suet to make 6-8 TBS oil or use cooking oil. Trim all fat and bones from pork and cut it into ¼ inch cubes.

Trim all fat from flank steak and cut it into 3/8 inch cubes. Boil chilies 15 minutes or until tender. Remove seeds and cut the chilies into ¼ inch squares. Mix sugar, oregano, cumin, MSG, pepper, salt, chili powder, cilantro and thyme with beer until all lumps are dissolved. Add the tomatoes, celery, chilies, beer mixture and garlic to the chicken broth.

Pour about a third of the reserved suet or oil into a skillet, add pork and brown. Do only half total amount at a time.

Add the pork to the broth mixture, cook slowly 30 minutes.

Brown beef in the remaining oil, about one third of the total amount at a time. Add the beef to the pork mixture and cook slowly about 1 hour. Add onions and peppers. Simmer 2-3 hours until meat is broken down, stirring with a wooden spoon every 15-20 minutes

Cool 1 hour and refrigerate 24 hours. Reheat chili before serving it. About 5 minutes before serving time, add grated cheese. Just before serving, add the juice of the lime and stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. Makes 6 quarts.

Ron1YY
10-22-2008, 06:59 PM
1970 World Champion Chili Recipe

Interestingly, There are only 2 people that actually marketed their recipe and you can not get the exact recipes, You can go to the market and buy their packaged chili recipe.

This is one of them.

2 Alarm Chili

Ingredients:

2 pounds meat coarsely ground or diced
8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 package of 2 Alarm Chili Ingredients*
Salt

Instructions:

Sear the meat until it becomes gray. Add tomato sauce and water. Add all the ingredients except the masa flour. Cover kettle and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes, until meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Skim off excess grease. Mix masa flour with warm water into a smooth paste. Stir into chili to tighten it and add flavor. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes and salt to taste. Chili is ready to serve.

For 1-Alarm, use only half of the red pepper. For False-Alarm Chili, leave out the red pepper. For 3-Alarm Chili or hotter, merely add hot pepper.

*2-Alarm Chili mix is available in many areas. It was developed by the late Wick Fowler but for obvious reasons, the exact ingredients cannot be released by the Caliente Chili Company of Austin, Texas, who packages and distributes the mix.

rizzle
10-23-2008, 08:36 AM
If it aint got beans it aint chili.