PDA

View Full Version : Newbie cigar list

mrgto
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Hello fellow inmates! I am relativley new to smoking. My first "true" cigar was a AF hemi sig perfecto. I have since come to love Camacho and Padron cigars. I want to branch out to some other brands so i dont get stuck in a rut of just sticking with the well known brands and missing out on some really good lesser known smokes.

When i walk into my local B&M, i am overwhelmed with the selection and end up falling back on my favorite brands.

I need some advice on brands to try that i normally would have no clue about. I am open to all suggestions from mild to damn i need to sit back down!!!

Thanks!!

Tim

Emjaysmash
06-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Perdomo makes some great sticks, as well as the Don Pepin Garcia blends. You should also try Tatuaje- they make excellent sticks as well. Also maybe try to make a point of trying atleast one new brand or stick everytime you go to the B&M. Whether it be going down the line, or picking randomly, you'll be sure to expand your horizons.

Hope that helps.
:tu

Biglizard1
06-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Just another idea, check out the newbie sampler trade thread in make a wish/pif thread. You can find some great new smokes that way.
Also, check the NC reviews, a good way to find new smokes to try that may intrigue you. find those reviews that match your tastes, and try those cigars. Or send me your address and I will send you a sampler! pm for details.

JJG
06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
sounds like you're off to a good start. a 5'er of Padrons was my first purchase and got me totally hooked. If you want a special treat, for a few extra dollars pick up a Padron '64 maduro. Most stores carry them and you don't have to be an expert to appreciate how good they are, consistently rated among the top cigars in the world.

jerseystepup
06-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Just give everything in your b&m a going over.. so many people like so many difft things.. when you go in pick out 2 or 3 random new sticks every time :)

kelmac07
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Tim...just sample a bit of everything is the best advise that can be given. When I first started, I was only smoking natural wrappered sticks...then a friend turned me onto a maduro and I was hooked!!! I make a list each month of sticks I want to try and off to the B&M I go with my "shopping list" and sample a few different sticks each time. Has worked well for me. Read the threads...there are some great "unknown" and inexpensive sticks out there (ie, Tampa Sweetheart 500s, etc) to be had. Two sticks that become my go to smokes because of this method are the Sancha Panza Double Maduro and the Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro. Have fun!!

trader1974
06-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I would suggest just about anything from Oliva, esp. the Serie V.:2

SmokinCozy
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Just give everything in your b&m a going over.. so many people like so many difft things.. when you go in pick out 2 or 3 random new sticks every time :)

:tpd: Well said

mrgto
06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of going down the line at the b&m and get a new stick every time. I just dont want to end up w a dog rocket. I guess you will never know unless you try.

I dont really know what taste i like just yet, i have a pretty unrefined palate right now. I have tried to smoke a cigar and follow along w a review, just havent been that successful yet with finding all the flavors. I really love good wine and spirits, with the help from my wife who grew up right outside of SF Bay. I have come along way with my wine palate. I hope to do the same with cigars!

I have compiled quit a list of to try cigars. I guess i just need to get started smokin! I would love to do a little trading and such, I just dont have the resources yet. I bought a 20ct humi before i discovered this place. I am in the process of getting a coolerdor together.

Thanks for all the advise! I look forward to discovering new tasty cigars!!!

Tim

The Poet
06-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Try El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo, and - if you like a little punch in your cigar, a Punch.

Waynegro1
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Just another idea, check out the newbie sampler trade thread in make a wish/pif thread. You can find some great new smokes that way.
Also, check the NC reviews, a good way to find new smokes to try that may intrigue you. find those reviews that match your tastes, and try those cigars. Or send me your address and I will send you a sampler! pm for details.

:tpd:

PIF's are a great way to get sticks that you may not otherwise try. Also there are many 'NC' reviews here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13 :ss

kelmac07
06-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Tim...defintely check out the Cigar Asylum Newbie Sampler Trade II.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254

mrgto
06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I am going to St Thomas this next week for my sis-in-laws wedding. Hopefully i can come back with a few goodies duty free. I would like to do some newbie trading, i just need to get some more cigars before i can trade. I am working on a coolerdor right now, my 20ct humi just is not gonna cut it anymore. Thanks again for some suggestions, keep them coming!

Tim

dubnick
06-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I thought my 150 ct. would get me by... now have two and a cooler. and am working on a new project.

BTW, I always try something new @ the B & M. Also, I enjoy talking to the staff while having a smoke... usually learn a lot.

P.S. I'm a fan of most of the RP line, especially the Sun Grown's and Decades

XTRazzer
06-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Your tastes seem similar to some of mine and some of guys at my B&M, so here's a few:

5 Vegas 'A'
5 Vegas Cask Strength II
Carlos Torano (can't seem to go wrong with any variety)
Excalibur 1066
Nording (by Rocky Patel)
Oliva (can't seem to go wrong with any variety)
Omar Ortez Originals
Perdomo Habano Corojo
Punch Gran Puro

Scottw
06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I would decide first what you want to spend an then look at some samplers. For moderatley priced up,I would go to Cigars Interntional and if you want something higher end, go to Holts and look at samplers like the High Noon Sampler for Padron, Ashton, etc.

Aldebaran
06-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Oliva
CAO
Don Pepin Garcia
La Flor Dominicana

The last three companies make their cigars a bit strong.

SmokinApe
06-21-2009, 09:52 AM
There are a bunch of folks in my neighborhood who could be considered "newbs" when it comes to smoking long-filler had made cigars. Here is what I recommend to them...

Always buy cigars that have a reputation for being well constructed. You do not want; plugged cigars, crazy burning cigars or ones that unravel...
Buy Cigars that have a good reputation on the boards or around the B&M...
Cheap cigars are that cheap cigars. It doesn't mean you can't get a deal on good cigars, but the $20 bundles are generally terrible...
When starting out you will be tempted to load up, find the balance between quality and quantity....
Samplers are your friend. Go to CI and pick up some samplers, one I always recommend is "The Mother Load" It's just over 30 cigars, that have solid reputations, for 99$ about $2.75 a stick. Hunt around and you van find the code for free shipping. The Mother load, IMO is the best deal for a newb...

Flat4boxer
06-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I've found that if you go to a good B&M and tell the employees that your new to the cigar world, they will help you make some selections based on what you like. Or offer up some good suggestions for you.

I'm still fairly new to cigars and have only had one or two sticks that turned me off. :2

yourchoice
06-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Samplers are your friend. Go to CI and pick up some samplers, one I always recommend is "The Mother Load" It's just over 30 cigars, that have solid reputations, for 99$ about $2.75 a stick. Hunt around and you van find the code for free shipping. The Mother load, IMO is the best deal for a newb...
[/LIST]

Samplers are indeed your friend when starting out. Like the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Most here will appreciate you frequenting your B&M, and I suggest continuing to support them...with all of the legislation against smoking, they need your support, but...

A sister website to CI (CigarsInternational) is cigarbid <-link (http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/). When I started out I purchase a large percentage of my cigars from them. When bidding, if you decide to go that route, have three windows open. 1) cbid, 2) CI, and 3) CHIMP (http://c-h-i-m-p.com/). Find something you want to bid on, compare your bid price to CI (make sure you're bidding below retail - I typically never bid more than 60-65% of CI's price) and lastly check CHIMP for a historical winning bid history for the product. CHIMP was created by one of the BOTL's here, and it's a great asset when updated.

Most of my purchases aren't through cbid anymore, but starting out I couldn't recommend a better site. Just be sure not to get carried away!

Have fun and enjoy. :ss

kelmac07
06-21-2009, 10:57 AM
The devil site is addictive...be very careful!!!!

vankleekkw
06-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Also, stick to 5 packs and under for awhile. You don't want to get stuck with 15-20 sticks that you don't want anymore. Your tastes will change drastically over the first year as you emerse yourself in the different brands.