PDA

View Full Version : Can civilians in the military use USAA.com

BUCASmoker
06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I am a civilian in the navy, can I get cheap car insurance?

chippewastud79
06-18-2009, 03:02 PM
You should be able to. If you have any member of your family who is active or retired military you should be able to enroll in their programs. They have a lot of nice options for everything from banking to insurance. :tu

BUCASmoker
06-18-2009, 03:19 PM
No one in my family is military though. I work as a civilian engineer for a navy support lab (technically part of the US Navy).

WildBlueSooner
06-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I could be wrong but I believe USAA is only for:
* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* Children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Former military personnel:
o Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
o Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
* Former USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance.

BUCASmoker
06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Looks like I'm SOL.

chippewastud79
06-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Looks like I'm SOL.

I misunderstood your involvement, but it would never hurt to call and find out :2

RGD.
06-19-2009, 05:23 AM
I am a civilian in the navy, can I get cheap car insurance?

I have been with USAA since 1978 (car, home, banking, etc). You don't qualify - but don't loose any sleep over it - USAA is not "cheap" as most people would believe. The rates are good, better than most - but if you shop around you can find lower costs.

Ron

DougBushBC
06-19-2009, 06:16 AM
I know the benefits extend pretty far, my cousin is the grand daughter of a retired officer, with no other military connection, and she has USAA

RGD.
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I know the benefits extend pretty far, my cousin is the grand daughter of a retired officer, with no other military connection, and she has USAA

And that is correct. Since her Grandfather had the insurance, then her parents also had it which makes her eligible. Same with my daughters - since my wife and I have it, then they can also get it.

You just have to be in line at some point.

There are two sides to USAA insurance though - one that officers have and one that dependents have.

Ron

Jack Straw
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I use USAA for everything now, and I love it. I've had their insurance since I first started driving. Beyond the low rates, they are just such a great company to deal with.