PDA

View Full Version : Donte Stallworth gets 30 days in jail for killing!

Bruzee
06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I am beside myself after reading about this. For God's sake, he killed a man while driving drunk. He was well over the legal limit blood alcohol content, and plead to 30 days in jail. And to top it off, he will get out in 24 days for time served!! I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did. This is ass backwards, and completely embarrassing. The prosecutor and judge should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this plea deal to go through. The article also mentions that Stallworth came to a financial agreement with the victim's family. Wow, isn't that quite convenient. Sorry for the rant, here is the link! :mad:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

Cenookie
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with you on this one, it's a damn shame.

skullnrose
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree this story left me in disbelief.

yourchoice
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
I wonder if there were any extenuating circumstances with the case...

I will say that what Lester Munson said in the video was terrible. Maybe it was a slip, but how can he say "...this was a good outcome for the victim..."? The victim died!!!!!

Waynegro1
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, Dustin. This kind of thing just makes me sick to my stomach. In my line of work I see the end result of carelessness to often. Just one night of "fun" can result in a complete life change (for the family that was hurt). 30 days is an absolute joke!! Mr. Stallworth serves just 30 short days for killing a man, whereas the family, lost a son/husband/father FOREVER!!! :bh
INSANE!!! :c

replicant_argent
06-16-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did.

Ya think? Our country has more than a few false idols, anointed ones, and sickeningly twisted legal outcomes.

SeanGAR
06-17-2009, 04:50 AM
According to what I've read, it looks to me that Reyes caused the accident by darting out into the road to cross illegally.

Stallworth should not have been drinking and driving, but he stopped immediately and called 911, knowing full well that he was probably over the limit.

Its not as if he drove onto the sidewalk and hit somebody there, then left the scene.

“Every case that we prosecute, especially those that involve the death of a human being, is closely scrutinized to ensure that a fair and just resolution is reached for all parties,” said prosecutor Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “We have specifically looked at the unique facts involved with this charge, Mr. Stallworth’s excellent pre-incident history of community service, abundant references that attest to his good character, his lack of any traffic violations or criminal convictions, his full and complete post-incident cooperation with law enforcement, and his willingness to accept complete responsibility for his actions.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/madd-doesnt-want-donte-stallworths-money/

jlaker
06-17-2009, 05:18 AM
According to what I've read, it looks to me that Reyes caused the accident by darting out into the road to cross illegally.

Stallworth should not have been drinking and driving, but he stopped immediately and called 911, knowing full well that he was probably over the limit.

Its not as if he drove onto the sidewalk and hit somebody there, then left the scene.

“Every case that we prosecute, especially those that involve the death of a human being, is closely scrutinized to ensure that a fair and just resolution is reached for all parties,” said prosecutor Katherine Fernandez Rundle. “We have specifically looked at the unique facts involved with this charge, Mr. Stallworth’s excellent pre-incident history of community service, abundant references that attest to his good character, his lack of any traffic violations or criminal convictions, his full and complete post-incident cooperation with law enforcement, and his willingness to accept complete responsibility for his actions.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/madd-doesnt-want-donte-stallworths-money/

Good points Sean, thanks for sharing that information. We always assume athletes get the star treatment. The difference in this story however, is that he took responsibility for his actions. In this day, almost everyone is a victim. I'm not saying its a good ides to do what he did, but at least he was honest about it and didn't run from the scene and hide.

yourchoice
06-17-2009, 10:20 AM

I wonder if there were any extenuating circumstances with the case...

I assumed there was more to the story.

GrtndpwrflOZ
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Also, I ""heard" on the radio this morning that the family of the victim is ok with the sentence and that they just want to put the whole thing behind them.

As for 30 days for killing....that is not the truth.
30 days for involentary manslaughter perhaps. I am not a laywer...although I play one on TV.

People that are afflicted by something that is caused by an outside source.
Should it be the same as murder if you are not in control?
This usually gets everyone going crazy. This CA though. We will have a discussion.

What should the punishment be?

I am beside myself after reading about this. For God's sake, he killed a man while driving drunk. He was well over the legal limit blood alcohol content, and plead to 30 days in jail. And to top it off, he will get out in 24 days for time served!! I don't know if him being a professional football player had anything to do with it, I get the feeling it did. This is ass backwards, and completely embarrassing. The prosecutor and judge should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this plea deal to go through. The article also mentions that Stallworth came to a financial agreement with the victim's family. Wow, isn't that quite convenient. Sorry for the rant, here is the link! :mad:

SeanGAR
06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
What should the punishment be?

Honestly, I don't think what he got was out of line.

Think about a lifetime ban from driving. He may be able to get a to and from work license in 5 years, but that is it, he is done pleasure driving for the rest of his life. I'd rather spend 6 months in the slammer than lose my license for life.

He manned up and took responsibility, which takes a lot of guts knowing that he was drinking all night and was basically screwed. In my opinion that shows character.

But obviously he should have been smart and called a cab.

lightning9191
06-17-2009, 10:48 AM

:tpd: When I first reading the story I was appalled, but then later on in the article they mentioned the guy was running to catch a bus and wasn't in the crosswalk....so it sounds like he ran in front of him.

ahc4353
06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
NJ State Troop runs a stop sign, no lights on, no siren on in pursuit of a speeder. Broadsides a van with two sisters 17 and 19 years old. Ejects them through the passenger window killing both.

He walked out of the courtroom a free man.

Sometimes I feel like there is no justice.

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I believe that every drunk driver makes the decision to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I have been arresting them, young and old, for almost 11 years. I have seen some the most horrific scenes and crashes humanly possible. I don't care if the pedestrian made a mistake walking outside of a cross walk. The driver's reaction and motor skills are greatly deminished by consuming alcohol. Go home and drink until your BAC is .126, as was Stallworth's, and see how much you miss walking down the hallway. You will be suprised how much your body is effected by that amount of alcohol. The drunk driver is always at fault in a traffic collision, and the primary collision factor is DUI! Every single time.

Drunk driving is preventable. Therefore, if I make the decision to drive, despite my sobriety, and I kill someone, I believe that it is absolutely equivelent to murder. Call me crazy, or call me over the top. I have had several family members killed by drunk drivers, some of my family have been the drunk driver.

Stallworth should have had to face a harsher sentence than 24 days in jail. DUI manslaughter is a felony. That should equal prision time. Just because he cooperated, and didn't run doesn't change the fact that someone is dead. All that means is that he didn't commit any more crimes after the accident. :2

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
NJ State Troop runs a stop sign, no lights on, no siren on in pursuit of a speeder. Broadsides a van with two sisters 17 and 19 years old. Ejects them through the passenger window killing both.

He walked out of the courtroom a free man.

Sometimes I feel like there is no justice.

He was doing his job. Albeit the wrong way. But nonetheless, he was trying to protect and serve. :2

NJ stogie King
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I believe that every drunk driver makes the decision to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I have been arresting them, young and old, for almost 11 years. I have seen some the most horrific scenes and crashes humanly possible. I don't care if the pedestrian made a mistake walking outside of a cross walk. The driver's reaction and motor skills are greatly deminished by consuming alcohol. Go home and drink until your BAC is .126, as was Stallworth's, and see how much you miss walking down the hallway. You will be suprised how much your body is effected by that amount of alcohol. The drunk driver is always at fault in a traffic collision, and the primary collision factor is DUI! Every single time.

Drunk driving is preventable. Therefore, if I make the decision to drive, despite my sobriety, and I kill someone, I believe that it is absolutely equivelent to murder. Call me crazy, or call me over the top. I have had several family members killed by drunk drivers, some of my family have been the drunk driver.

Stallworth should have had to face a harsher sentence than 24 days in jail. DUI manslaughter is a felony. That should equal prision time. Just because he cooperated, and didn't run doesn't change the fact that someone is dead. All that means is that he didn't commit any more crimes after the accident. :2

Very well said!! 24 days is a slap on the wrist....and 2 years of house arrest ( which is what I heard the 2nd part of his sentence will be) is like a vacation! House arrest for me in my small abode would be torture, but to Stallworth who has millions of $ is a perfect opportunity to catch up on some XBOX, PS3 or smoking cigars for that matter! The only downfall is that he can't take his Lambo or Ferrari out for a spin!!

kelmac07
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
30 days in jail???? If this was "average joe" we are looking at 6-7 years and not in a nice, cozy resort. Total injustice!!!

Waynegro1
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Once again, :tpd:

ActionAndy
06-17-2009, 02:03 PM
He was doing his job. Albeit the wrong way. But nonetheless, he was trying to protect and serve. :2

...Without lights or siren?

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
...Without lights or siren?

You want to hang an over zealous peace officer for making a mistake while protecting and serving his community? He was at work, not drinking and driving. Not out partying or chasing tail. He was in an uniform, and trying to do his job. I think it is a great tragedy, and he will pay dearly the rest of his life. Do you disagree?

ahc4353
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM

No lights, no siren for a speeder and thats OK?

Wonder if it were your daughters you would have the same outlook Dustin?

Not looking for a fight at all. We will just have to disagree as men on this one.

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
No lights, no siren for a speeder and thats OK?

Wonder if it were your daughters you would have the same outlook Dustin?

Not looking for a fight at all. We will just have to disagree as men on this one.

Absoultely not ok brother. And I appreciate your opinion on this matter. But, you cannot imagine how difficult that job is to do, until you have actually done it. Something similar happened in my home town. Sanger PD was chasing a bad guy for some garden variety felony through the outskirts of town. The bad guy had his head lights off, and the officer pursuing him did not have his overheads or siren on. The bad guy hit a plain clothes deputy that was going to conduct some follow up on a burglary case. The collision killed the deputy instantly. Everyone here was up in arms that the pursuing officer didn't have code three equipment activated. That officer made a mistake, and will never be the same again. It was not a purposeful act, but negligence nonetheless.

I agree with you Al about the horrible tragedy. But you want the officer to go to jail for failing to use his code three equipment? Then everyone that runs a red light, and gets into an accident and kills someone needs to be sent to prison. :2

ahc4353
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Absoultely not ok brother. And I appreciate your opinion on this matter. But, you cannot imagine how difficult that job is to do, until you have actually done it. Something similar happened in my home town. Sanger PD was chasing a bad guy for some garden variety felony through the outskirts of town. The bad guy had his head lights off, and the officer pursuing him did not have his overheads or siren on. The bad guy hit a plain clothes deputy that was going to conduct some follow up on a burglary case. The collision killed the deputy instantly. Everyone here was up in arms that the pursuing officer didn't have code three equipment activated. That officer made a mistake, and will never be the same again. It was not a purposeful act, but negligence nonetheless.

I agree with you Al about the horrible tragedy. But you want the officer to go to jail for failing to use his code three equipment?

I want him to go to jail for killing to innocent humans. Because he's a cop doesn't make him above the law or does it?

I run that stop sign and kill two people I'm going to jail.

ahc4353
06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
....Then everyone that runs a red light, and gets into an accident and kills someone needs to be sent to prison. :2

We agree!

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I want him to go to jail for killing to innocent humans. Because he's a cop doesn't make him above the law or does it?

I run that stop sign and kill two people I'm going to jail.

Yes they were innocent Al. He did nothing criminal. And no it doesn't make him above the law. Police Officers have a split second to make decisions, sometimes those decisions are to take a persons life. Or in this case, whether or not to activate code three equipment. He made an error and damned well should have activated his code three equipment. He will be civilly liable, and so will the department he works for. He will never live a day without thinking about those people. He is going to be haunted by that scene till he dies. We let drug dealers, child molesters, armed robbers and the likes walk everyday from our justice system. And you want a police officer to go to jail for this? I greatly respect and value your opinion, but I have to disagree with you my friend.

ahc4353
06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Just because our system allows the creatures to walk is another topic and has no bearing on this. With that logic everyone walks.

I would love the system revamped!

I'm old school, as in an eye for an eye type of thing.

G G
06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes they were innocent Al. He did nothing criminal. And no it doesn't make him above the law. Police Officers have a split second to make decisions, sometimes those decisions are to take a persons life. Or in this case, whether or not to activate code three equipment. He made an error and damned well should have activated his code three equipment. He will be civilly liable, and so will the department he works for. He will never live a day without thinking about those people. He is going to be haunted by that scene till he dies. We let drug dealers, child molesters, armed robbers and the likes walk everyday from our justice system. And you want a police officer to go to jail for this? I greatly respect and value your opinion, but I have to disagree with you my friend.
I respectfully agree with your opinoin Justin. I am not a police officer, however I do drive a big ambulance around and do have to make those split second decisions sometimes when responding to a call. The stress levels you are subjected to are very high, and I know that we are all human so that makes us not perfect. If this particular police officer has a pattern of that kind of behaviour then I can see something far greater happening to him. In a perfect world it would all be black and white (the rules are the rules or laws in this case) and there would be no room for the gray areas. But we all know this isn't a perfect world. I understand Al's position, because before i got into the public service business I prolly would have agreed wholeheartedly with him. Opinions change sometimes based on the perspective you are looking from.:tu

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Just because our system allows the creatures to walk is another topic and has no bearing on this. With that logic everyone walks.

I would love the system revamped!

I'm old school, as in an eye for an eye type of thing.

Man, we do agree on something! :D I 100% agree with you. I was thinking that the trooper story was not really relevant to the Dante Stallworth story, but I entertained the discussion anyways. We could discuss our justice system till we are both blule in the face, and it would do no good.

I was just pointing out that 24 days in jail for DUI with death is a slap in the face. I think we got a little off topic from my original point. :)

The Poet
06-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, let's just hope that during those few weeks in jail he learns a "hole" new meaning of wide receiver.

Sailkat
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
30 days in jail???? If this was "average joe" we are looking at 6-7 years and not in a nice, cozy resort. Total injustice!!!

The person who killed my father got 3 years probation.

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
The person who killed my father got 3 years probation.

Wow, sorry to hear that. That is a shame!

Random Guy
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM

I totally agree! I have no idea, but isn't there a minimum jail sentence for taking another life? 5 - 10 years? Shouldn't there be? Whether or not it was an 'accident'? He was drunk after all.

I don't think he got 'special' treatment because he's a football player. I think he got the justice that he could 'afford' because he is wealthy. Various cases in recent years have proven this time and time again.

Just my thoughts.

tobii3
06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Y'all don't understand the Legal System today.

Money Talks, Celebrity Walks.

If I'm drunk and hit ANYONE, I lose my career, my retirement, face a Court martial, THEN a Civilian Court, and if I am LUCKY, spend only 5 years in Ft Leavenworth.

How do I know this?? A fellow NCO did it back in 1996.

Dante should be punished. Not slapped on the wrist.

shilala
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I read all of this thread.
I know four people personally who have killed people with vehicles while intoxicated.
I know a number more who have changed their lives completely in less than one second.
All I can say is that I thank God that I don't have to be the judge.
I thank God that Donte didn't run over my daughter, because I can't imagine how I could find the strength to let him live for another second, ruining my life and my family and friend's lives as a result of my vengeance.
I think everyone has made excellent points, and put a lot of thoughtful opinion into this. It's a complicated and personal decision.
If anyone should speak on this, it's Kat.
I'm sure she's got more to teach us from her personal experience than any of us can opinionate.
I can't imagine the pain or your loss, Kat. I sure as hell can't imagine how you dealt with it. I'm certain I could learn from you though.

wrench turner 85
06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
the judge should be disbarred and fired, and maybe should be brought up on corruption charges. :mad:

pnoon
06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, let's just hope that during those few weeks in jail he learns a "hole" new meaning of wide receiver.

Sometimes it is o.k. to not post.

wrench turner 85
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
You want to hang an over zealous peace officer for making a mistake while protecting and serving his community? He was at work, not drinking and driving. Not out partying or chasing tail. He was in an uniform, and trying to do his job. I think it is a great tragedy, and he will pay dearly the rest of his life. Do you disagree?

yes, I'm a mechanic for the local school system, If I f**k up and someone looses there life over it, I don't get a free ride or slap on the wrist. I will be sued, loose my job, and/or brought up on criminal charges for a "mistake". even if no one looses there life, all above applies. So yes, officers should have repercussions for there "mistakes", there no different then me.

taltos
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I totally agree! I have no idea, but isn't there a minimum jail sentence for taking another life? 5 - 10 years? Shouldn't there be? Whether or not it was an 'accident'? He was drunk after all.

I don't think he got 'special' treatment because he's a football player. I think he got the justice that he could 'afford' because he is wealthy. Various cases in recent years have proven this time and time again.

Just my thoughts.The minimum jail sentence is 30 days if you plead guilty and save the state the time and expense of a trial. Except for the off season his house arrest means nothing though.

ade06
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Money Talks, Celebrity Walks.

Is that what happend to M. Vick?

the judge should be disbarred and fired, and maybe should be brought up on corruption charges. :mad:

Really??? :(

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Is that what happend to M. Vick?

Funny you bring that up. That is another reason why this is crazy. Vick did something horrible...... to animals. He did more time than Stallworth will ever do!

Bruzee
06-17-2009, 08:08 PM
yes, I'm a mechanic for the local school system, If I f**k up and someone looses there life over it, I don't get no free ride or slap on the wrist. I can be sued, loose my job, or brought up on criminal charges for a mistake. even if no one looses there life, all above applies. So yes, officers should have repercussions for there "mistakes", there no different then me.

Hang on a second.... There are repercussions for their mistakes. There are always civil liabilities, and administrative repercussions. But putting a peace officer in jail for failing to activate his emergency equipment is ludicrous! An officer should go to jail if he is corrupt, or deals drugs, or abuses his power, or even if he purposefully fails to take action in certain situations. Then he should be sent to jail. I'd imagine that you would need to do the job before you could understand the weight of split second decision making. Or constant second guessing by the media, the public, and your administration. :2

P.S. This isn't a debate on police officers cupability. :tu

SeanGAR
06-18-2009, 04:04 AM
The drunk driver is always at fault in a traffic collision, and the primary collision factor is DUI! Every single time.

Of course this is wrong. I saw a friend get cut off by another driver and crash into a telephone pole. When the police gave a breathalizer, he was 0.082 so received a DUI. There was no way he could have avoided the accident, dead sober or not. The primary collision factor was the other driver.

In this case, the primary collision factor was the guy illegally crossing a 6 lane highway instead of walking to the crosswalk and pressing the button.

My opinion of course, and worth every penny paid.

shilala
06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Funny you bring that up. That is another reason why this is crazy. Vick did something horrible...... to animals. He did more time than Stallworth will ever do!
It makes no sense, never has.
For instance, a guy like you has to go out every day, drag some junkie raper to jail, and the next day he's walking down the sidewalk.
Run over someone while you're drunk and kill them, you get 30 days.
Get dui'd for your third time and hurt no one at all, you get 1 year in state.
Get caught with 72 1" marijuana plants growing in your closet, and you get life in a federal penitentiary.

It's best to just stay in the house and turn off the tv and love your kids.
That's about the only thing that does make sense.

Mikey202
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Stallworth tried to donate $$$ to MADD and they refused to take his money.

ActionAndy
06-18-2009, 12:11 PM
MADD is a runaway truck of a cause. They're prohibitionists in disguise and unfortunately stuff like this (30 days in jail guy) only helps to strengthen their stance.

e-man67
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I remember seeing Vince Neil of Motley Crue on some show talking about how he was drunk and stoned and got into an accident. His best friend was in the passanger seat and he was killed instantly. Vince said "I paid the family off and never served a day in jail." So if you have money you can get away with damn near anything.

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
For instance, a guy like you has to go out every day, drag some junkie raper to jail, and the next day he's walking down the sidewalk.
Get caught with 72 1" marijuana plants growing in your closet, and you get life in a federal penitentiary.

No kidding Scott! Good points! Something else that is funny. Here in California, if you carry a fixed bladed knife concealed, it is a felony. (PC 12020(a)(4)) But, if you carry a concealed, loaded handgun in public, it is merely a misdameanor. :D

shilala
06-18-2009, 02:08 PM

No kidding Scott! Good points! Something else that is funny. Here in California, if you carry a fixed bladed knife concealed, it is a felony. (PC 12020(a)(4)) But, if you carry a concealed, loaded handgun in public, it is merely a misdameanor. :D

It just goes to show that common sense is not at all common.

How you do your job every day without going nuts is beyond me.
My ex-bil is a state trooper and I have quite a few other cop buds.
They mostly drink heavily. Seems to help. Getting to beat someone up on the job every now and again seems to be very therapeutic, as well.

TheTraveler
06-18-2009, 02:54 PM

yep, check this one out: http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=94827&cat=14

(of course that's a lot more than a closet full of plants ;) )

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 03:47 PM
*****UPDATE*****

Roger Goodell hands down an indefinate suspension and some very harsh words for Stallworth. Good for you NFL! :tu Here is the story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270311

NCRadioMan
06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
*****UPDATE*****

Roger Goodell hands down an indefinate suspension and some very harsh words for Stallworth. Good for you NFL! :tu Here is the story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270311

Goodell takes no chit. I like him. I don't think Stallworth will play a down in the upcoming season. I hope not anyway.

icehog3
06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Glad the NFL took action after the courts failed to.

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Glad the NFL took action after the courts failed to.

Yeah, I agree. It is nice to see that they somewhat care about what people would think if they allowed him to play right now. Good move by the NFL. :tu

Mr. Ed
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM

I believe Vick also obstructed the investigation and lied. Is that so much worse than calling 911 after killing someone while DUI?

I don't know.

I think money is a big factor. :2

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I believe Vick also obstructed the investigation and lied. Is that so much worse than calling 911 after killing someone while DUI?

I don't know.

I think money is a big factor. :2

That really is comparing apples and oranges friend. I could care less if he called 911 and waited for police. Thats what he is required to do when in an accident. I don't give him and extra credit for doing what is required of him. But, I totally agree with you about the money aspect. You get the justice you can afford.

Mr. Ed
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
That really is comparing apples and oranges friend. I could care less if he called 911 and waited for police. Thats what he is required to do when in an accident. I don't give him and extra credit for doing what is required of him. But, I totally agree with you about the money aspect. You get the justice you can afford.

That's the point, Vick did not do what was required of him, hence the greater amount of jail time.

Dislclaimer: I am neither a lawyer nor am I familiar with the Federal statuets against dog fighting or anything else Vick was charged with,

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 10:08 PM
That's the point, Vick did not do what was required of him, hence the greater amount of jail time.

Dislclaimer: I am neither a lawyer nor am I familiar with the Federal statuets against dog fighting or anything else Vick was charged with,

Yeah. I see your point. :tu I am also not an expert of any kind, and esspecially not on federal laws.

DrDubzz
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
didn't Stallworth also get 2 years of house arrest, lifetime probation and a slew of other penalties along with his jail time?

I believe he's also paying out the ass to the family

not that all that makes it ok, but I think that's why the jail time is so short

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
didn't Stallworth also get 2 years of house arrest, lifetime probation and a slew of other penalties along with his jail time?

I believe he's also paying out the ass to the family

not that all that makes it ok, but I think that's why the jail time is so short

Yeah, I see that point too. But, house arrest? Come on man. I cannot agree with the civil payment being a part of it. Because I cannot afford to pay millions to avoid jail. Is that fair? If I kill someone while driving drunk, I can't pay the family, and you can bet your ass I'll be sitting in a prison cell for more than 24 days.

kgoings
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM

Vick also tortured and killed innocent animals. Albeit a far cry from killing a person, Vick was intentional and showed NO remorse.

Donte, probably got off easy.

Tobi, yea being in the military is a completely different world.

Cops, lawyers, judges, and polititions all get away with crap that no one else can...cause they run the system.

In the line of duty or not, he may not have done something "criminal" but last time I check running a light or stop sign is a moving violation. If I did that I would defiantly be looking at jail time. If it was not important enough for him to have his siren and lights on, then he shouldn't have been running lights and stop signs. He should have done time period.

Another case in point, here in AZ a detective left his dog officer in the car during the summer and killed him. Nothing nada. He was 'stressed' because of the job. Two months later a lady does the same thing, she was stressed too, she served time. Double Standard.

shilala
06-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I see that point too. But, house arrest? Come on man. I cannot agree with the civil payment being a part of it. Because I cannot afford to pay millions to avoid jail. Is that fair? If I kill someone while driving drunk, I can't pay the family, and you can bet your ass I'll be sitting in a prison cell for more than 24 days.
I did read that one of the penalties is that he NEVER gets to drive again.
2 years house arrest, and I think probation was 7 years.
I have no idea what kind of money he shelled out, but there is merit to calling the police and standing against the charges.
He's clearly remorseful, as well.
So far as Goodell's actions, it's all about the money. Stallworth plays, the league takes flack and loses money. I wonder if he's called the family and expressed his heartfelt remorse. I sure wouldn't bank on it.

skullnrose
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
For what it's worth what M Vick did was a federal offense in his case he was not just dealing with a state court. I'm glad the NFL took a stand on Stallworth I just hope they make it stick.

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I did read that one of the penalties is that he NEVER gets to drive again.
2 years house arrest, and I think probation was 7 years.
I have no idea what kind of money he shelled out, but there is merit to calling the police and standing against the charges.
He's clearly remorseful, as well.
So far as Goodell's actions, it's all about the money. Stallworth plays, the league takes flack and loses money. I wonder if he's called the family and expressed his heartfelt remorse. I sure wouldn't bank on it.

He can have a restricted driver's license after 5 years guys. House arrest is a joke, considering he can leave for work and such. Merit for calling police and cooperating? Yes and he shall be rewarded for that by not being charged with addition crimes. Like hit and run, or obstructing justice, or failure to report an accident. I'm sorry I don't have more compassion for his cooperation. I guess its my "cop" attitude.

kgoings
06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh yea I almost forgot, in Arizona during the act of a misdemeanor if some dies due to the act, it is a felony. The officer in question should have done time

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh yea I almost forgot, in Arizona during the act of a misdemeanor if some dies due to the act, it is a felony. The officer in question should have done time

Are you talking about the trooper that ran the stop sign without lights and siren? That would be an infraction, at best. And if you still believe he should have done time, even after reading all the arguements against it, then we will have to agree to disagree. :D

kgoings
06-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Are you talking about the trooper that ran the stop sign without lights and siren? That would be an infraction, at best. And if you still believe he should have done time, even after reading all the arguements against it, then we will have to agree to disagree. :D

He was going 70 in a 35, pursuing someone speeding. That is reckless, that fast in a residential area, (assumption considering the speed limit and stop sigh) he should have had his lights on....to catch some speeding is not that important to put other civilians in more harms way by being reckless in the pursuit.

I am done. We can agree to disagree.

Bruzee
06-18-2009, 11:01 PM
He was going 70 in a 35, pursuing someone speeding. That is reckless, that fast in a residential area, (assumption considering the speed limit and stop sigh) he should have had his lights on....to catch some speeding is not that important to put other civilians in more harms way by being reckless in the pursuit.

I am done. We can agree to disagree.

I have never said that it wasn't smart. I would agree that it was a stupid decision to pursue the speeder at that speed and without proper emergency equipment. I don't know all the facts of the case, and I am sure you do not either, but you cannot say that he wasn't doing something important. A jury of 12, whom had ALL the facts, agreed that he should not be criminally responsible for what happened. Neither of us can argue with that fact. I have trouble with people, whom have never put on a badge, assume they know how hard the job is or isn't. No other profession, minus the president, takes as much criticizm or second guessing than law enforcement. I could argue till I'm blue in the face about the importance of traffic enforcement and what other serious crimes it uncovers and leads to, but this is not the time for that.

***Notice. This is not a thread about the peace officers! But about a drunk driver killing a man, and pleading to 30 days in jail.***