PDA

View Full Version : How do you find new cigars to smoke?

DWCR_Bob
10-20-2008, 03:11 AM
There are so many fine cigars available today and more coming. Yet many retailers (limited space, lack of knowledge etc) do not carry them. How do you find new cigars to try? I enjoy the variety of cigars available to day and like to smoke may different cigars, I know some have a few favorites they concentrate on, but even my favorites continue to change.

elderboy02
10-20-2008, 04:48 AM
I read the reviews on here.

Cigary
10-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Reviews or word of mouth and then reading other sources for those types of cigars I already like. I love trying new cigars so sometimes I will just take a chance.

tsolomon
10-20-2008, 04:59 AM
From reviews or announcements that have been posted about new blends, I usually have a mental list of what I want to try. At first, I would try to find 5 packs online, but now I have 3 B&Ms that I can check and pick up singles.

dunng
10-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Here or my pimp TRicker... That is until my new B&M opens and the owner Mike is a true cigar guy, and I expect great things! :ss

BlackIrish
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
From reviews or announcements that have been posted about new blends, I usually have a mental list of what I want to try. At first, I would try to find 5 packs online, but now I have 3 B&Ms that I can check and pick up singles.

:tpd: But I really have only 2 go to B&Ms.

Boobar
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
I mostly read reviews on the forums and if a cigar in a magazine catches my eye I will take a chance and buy some.

chippewastud79
10-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Pick them up and smoke them :tu

Costa
10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Fellow BOTL's here...its worked out fantastic.

cbsmokin
10-20-2008, 08:59 AM
I think passes are a great way to try some new smokes.

Scottw
10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I mostly read reviews on the forums and if a cigar in a magazine catches my eye I will take a chance and buy some.

Same here. I actually get a lot of info from the group here. I had never had and oliva or padron or 1964 or Opus X before coming here.

bobarian
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Trading, PIFing, Cigarbid, best of all herfing. Sticks fly back and forth at herfs faster than the speed of light. :ss You can always ask as well. Post up your likes and dislikes and ask for recommendations. :ss

markem
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree with Bob (I know, I'm the first here to do so :rolleyes:). Trades are very important to me as far as expanding my palette. I also read the reviews and I also read what other people are trading/bombing. The trading/bombing threads give me ideas as to what I should ask for in a PIF/MAW thread.

Starscream
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Review threads here, b&m, WTS forum here Joecigar deals

boonedoggle
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
recently, I've been trying to sample everything Don Pepin has come out with. He seems to be cranking them out faster than I can get em, so that keeps me occupied with finding new smokes!

Linus
10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Read reviews, comments and whenever the company sends me on the road, check out local B&M shops to see if they have anything unique that I haven't found elsewhere (particularly "micro-manufacturers" whenever possible).

Spect
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Pick them up and smoke them :tu

:tpd:

Whee
10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Two words....sampler whore.

when I first started smoking, I bought a lot of samplers. My humi's look like a Smoke Shop exploded inside them as I have so many differnet brands and sizes.

As I find ones I like, i start buying packs and then I will buy a box.

Have also gotten fine smokes from BOTL's here through a pass I did and herfing in person.

theycallmedan'lboone
10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll pick up a few cigars that I've heard of, or in some cases not heard of. I personally know a guy that Loves cremosas, I'd never heard of them... until my foray into the wilds of the cigar forums, now I'd not try one. Every time I head to the B&M. I pick up a few stand by's the Punch Rare Corojo, the Perdomo Habano, The Rocky Patel 1990, and I always try to pick up 2-3 that I've never tried before. 2 of each if possible. Then give 'em a few weeks to sit in the humi, smoke 'em down. If I like 'em, buy 'em if not... I know what I don't...

jbonnefsc
10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I try new stuff from comments here, or by trying what the fellas at the B&M are smoking...

I NEVER try something they [the b&m's] suggest, unless I've seen them smoking it, as their "top picks" are rarely worth it...

FriskyDingo
10-20-2008, 12:48 PM
The only way to find new cigars is to read Cigar Aficionado. :r j/k

The majority is through the good ol' internet. My IE Favorites is packed full of review and cigar news websites. My other two most common ways are word of mouth or through this one local b&m owner that I can actually trust.

Joan
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Besides the metric b*ttloads of new cigar info available from all the chatter
going on here, I listen to DWCR when I can for a fresh perspective.
:dance:

I *love* the show you and Dale put out. :ss

Skywalker
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Fellow BOTL's here...its worked out fantastic.

Yeah. You get the poop bombed out of ya!!! That's always a good way!!!:r

Studebaker
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Recommendations from B&Ms, reviews in the forums, samplers, and...oh yeah....that nifty podcast I obsess over!!:ss Love me some DWCR!

:eevis
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I am still working off the samplers, Newbie trades, contests, etc... So I still have quite an assortment. I have only been smoking about a year, so i am still experimenting. I will also go to the local cigar shops and just grab what singles catch my eye. I have a long way to go, but I look forward to the challenge :ze:bx

TonySmith
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
recently, I've been trying to sample everything Don Pepin has come out with. He seems to be cranking them out faster than I can get em, so that keeps me occupied with finding new smokes!

When I find one I like, I try what ever else they make. Hard to go wrong with a Pepin

jaycarla
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Trading, PIFing, Cigarbid, best of all herfing. Sticks fly back and forth at herfs faster than the speed of light. :ss You can always ask as well. Post up your likes and dislikes and ask for recommendations. :ss

acarr
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Read reviews but none from CA:D

SonsofClubDeck
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I use reviews here and from CA and trust the palettes of others.

macpappy
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Finding out about not only new cigars but which cigars have been available for a long time is not hard if you just visit your friendly Club Asylum, read every cigar magazine you can find and visit you local B&M.

For me the problem is often being able to LOCATE the cigars I want to try. I only have two B&M within 30 miles of where I live and they carry what they carry. That leaves me surfing the websites of the reputable cigar dealers in hopes of finding the ones I want to try.

High 5
10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I listen to most cigar related podcasts, read huge amounts of reviews and then happily ignore them.

One of the fun parts of smoking my cigars is building up my own small database of what cigars I like in combination of what is available for me.
Quite a lot of brands are not readily available out here because most b&m's tend to stock up on cigars from that island a bit to the southeast of you guys.
For those other brands I have to rely on internet retailers that ship overseas.
It somewhat limits my choice of cigars but then again I don't get swamped by 15.877 brands with 23.566.194 different choices of size.

Sometimes I get a cigar I don't like -don't we all- but hey that is what neighbours, colleagues and family are for, right?

smokeyandthebandit05
10-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I'll usually hear about them on here and dream about them cause my B&M doesnt carry much of whats hot. I also like to just walk around the B&M talk to the owner and just grab something that I might like....hasnt failed me yet

brigey57
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I usually look for someone I know at a local B&M and start talking to them about what they have smoked in the recent past and liked. Then I compare the smoke with the types of cigar I love. Based on the conversation and the cigar look and smell, I usually find me a winner. It's also a great way to meet new friends and try a new cigar. :ss :2

sikk50
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
The b&m owner or you guys, basicly

DKPRLP
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I listen to Bob & Dale they know!

jjirons69
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I am still working off the samplers, Newbie trades, contests, etc... So I still have quite an assortment. I have only been smoking about a year, so i am still experimenting. I will also go to the local cigar shops and just grab what singles catch my eye. I have a long way to go, but I look forward to the challenge :ze:bx

Also, the blind taste test (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=927) is quite an interesting way to try different smokes. You smoke it first, then try to figure out what you had before the final reveal. Pretty challenging

Waynegro1
10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Cigar Magazine, Podcasts, Retail shop magazines, my B&M, trades/passes and of coarse from my fellow Asylum Cell Mates. Sometimes I just see something that I've never tried or heard of and give it the old college try.

gnukfu
10-21-2008, 04:13 AM
When I first started smoking I participated in newbie trades. I was able to try all sorts of new cigars that I never would have tried......unfortunately that included my first cubans and it has been downhill ever since! :usa