PDA

View Full Version : Cello question? Yellow= age?

leasingthisspace
06-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or seen anything other then clear cello on a fresh stick. I am wondering if yellow/brown cello always mean the stick is older? Please point me in the right direction if this has already been talked about and my poor search skills couldn't find it.

NCRadioMan
06-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, it normally indicates the cigar has some time under it's belt. The yellowing is cuase by amonia and other gasses that have escaped from the cigar. Always a good thing! :tu

The Poet
06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
It would not shock me if some producers used an amber cello, perhaps claiming UV protection while hoping to emulate age, but I always assume the best - or worst. Hey, an aged cigar does not mean it has to be good - maybe it hasn't been smoked because it ain't worth smoking.

Emjaysmash
06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, it normally indicates the cigar has some time under it's belt. The yellowing is cuase by amonia and other gasses that have escaped from the cigar. Always a good thing! :tu

Unless you find it surrounded by yellow snow. Then, Id say it's a BAD thing. :r

SmokinApe
06-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Perdomo has cigars in gold and red cello...

The Poet
06-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Thar ya go.

RevSmoke
06-13-2009, 02:44 PM
If you bought the cigar, and now, after a few years, the cello is yellowed, then you know it is a good thing.

Same is true if you can verify that the cello has not been tampered with.

If it is yellow and soggy, then I'd be real careful.

leasingthisspace
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Well this shop down the street has a bunch of stuff I have never heard of or seen before but does look promising for a cheap stick. Looking around the place about a third of the stuff has yellow cello.
I understand that just because something is older/aged it doesn't mean it is going to be good.
The coloring is what I would consider coloring from aging. Thanks for the time and for answering everyone.

sikk50
06-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I tend to take the cello off of all my cigars but my shop found three year old boxes of stuff hiding (inclueding DCM's) when they were rearranging and the cello on a lot of those was very yellow. And they have stuff they don't sell very often that has some pretty yellow cello. I think that it's plausible they just don't sell a lot of stuff and in turn they get forced aging

Garbandz
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
If you tell us what is there and where they are,maybe someone here would like to get some of these older sticks.Aged smokes can be wonderful,and maybe they will sell them cheap since they are so "old"....

JJG
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
In my experience yellow cello does = age

You can kinda tell though as the cello will not be uniformly yellowed. some parts will appear darker than others.

jbo57
06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm glad to see ya'll talking about this. A friend of mine went to a B&M which is no longer in business. He found a Torano with yellowed cello and a different band than what is in use today. Then later he went and found a Hoyo with yellowed cello. Is there any way to estimate the age of a cigar from the yellowed cello?

lightning9191
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm glad to see ya'll talking about this. A friend of mine went to a B&M which is no longer in business. He found a Torano with yellowed cello and a different band than what is in use today. Then later he went and found a Hoyo with yellowed cello. Is there any way to estimate the age of a cigar from the yellowed cello?

I wouldn't think so.....probably each batch of cellophane yellows at a different rate. Pry the more yellowed it is, the greater likelihood that it is older then a less yellowed cello, but not a definite.

sikk50
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I would imagine the more oily a cigar the quicker the cello will yellow.

But then I've been wondering since I saw this thread, what about infused cigars? Will the chemicals cause them to yellow exceptionaly quick?