PDA

View Full Version : Do bad initial cigars steer you away from a brand?

e-man67
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
So we have all had the experience of having a "bad" sticks from various manufactures....whether it be the tobacco was rolled too tight/loose to enjoy, uneven burns, or horid taste. With that said, do you tend to shy away from brands that you have had bad initial experiences with? I have had a few bad Opus X's...but lucky for me that I had quite a few really really good ones before the bad experience....now I have had 4 different flavors of RP's and my initial response to all was blah...... same thing with Illusion's, had a blah first stick so even though others in the line might look tastier I don't take the chance and buy them..I tend to stick to what I know is good. What about you guys and gals? :rolleyes:

dubnick
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I had the same thing with 5 Vegas... tried a few more... and now enjoy them occasionally

NCRadioMan
06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I try alot, and I mean alot of different cigars. I will smoke at least two no matter what the first result was. If there are two bad results, I usually do not revisit them. I don't really take into account construction because there are always going to be some that are not up to par. I tend to focus on flavor alone. Everything else I can deal with.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. :D

TheTraveler
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I try alot, and I mean alot of different cigars. I will smoke at least two no matter what the first result was. If there are two bad results, I usually do not revisit them. I don't really take into account construction because there are always going to be some that are not up to par. I tend to focus on flavor alone. Everything else I can deal with.

:tpd: +1 for me. Unless it's clearly a dog rocket I'll give it a second chance - but usually not more than a second chance 'cause there are way too many others I need to try and not enough time! :ss

Clampdown
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
For only the time being. I had a box of RASS that made me regret trying and buying it. However, after some time I went back and revisited it and found out that I absolutely love the entire marca. This same thing has happened with Monte. Im not a fan of the Petite Edmundo but then I had an 06 Monte 2 and now stock up on that box whenever i see them.

csbrewfisher
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Bad singles may not steer me away from the brand, but it may make me shy of the particular vitola. There are two resent smokes that come to mind.

1. Vegas Cubanas Generosos
2. Pepin JJ Belicoso

Hard to condemn Pepins, but the VC made me gag, and the JJ was meh. Would I try them again? Probably, but I wouldn't buy them.

Bruzee
06-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I had that experience with Camacho. I tried several, and hated them all. For a long time I wouldn't smoke anything Camacho. I've since revisited, and found 1 or 2 that I like. :tu

TripleF
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Only two

cc

-

alley00p
06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I normally will try a new brand (to me) at least twice - we've all had a bum stick now and then. If the second time is the bum stick, but the first was decent, I'll try at least one more. But I won't keep going on, hoping that I'll like the brand eventually.

As someone said above - "Too many cigars - so little time"... :ss

:dance:

VTDragon
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
If it's the construction that is poor I'll stay away from the entire brand. If it's the taste that's not to my liking, I'll try others of that brand.

CAO comes to mind as a brand that I like some of but dislike others, however all have good quality construction.

kaisersozei
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Yep, same here.

The Poet
06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
On this topic in general, the best advise I ever heard was from Lew Rothman himself. He avers you must remember that cigars are a handmade organic product, and the best cigar you ever smoked may be lying in the same box right beside the worst cigar you ever smoked.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful - or ugly.

Bruins Fan
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Chateau Fuente used to be one of my favorite smokes, but it was a crap shoot if you got a good one, so I stay away from them.
CAO pretty bands don't make good smokes, same thing.

Chemyst
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
What #7 said.

Chemyst :cool:

groogs
06-12-2009, 09:40 PM
If it was really really bad I would probably steer away from that smoke in the future. If it was a construction, or just tasted off, I would try it again to give the smoke a fair shot.

Azpostal
06-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I always give them 2 try's but after that forget it!

Cigary
06-13-2009, 02:24 AM

Can't argue with this kind of logic. Every once in awhile you will run into a bad cigar no matter what brand. I usually will buy a 5 pak and try at least two of them to see if I like it. If they don't work out for me there are always brothers out there I know that like them and I will pay it forward to them.

jerseystepup
06-13-2009, 05:04 AM
ill always try one stick fresh and one stick with alot of humi time.. i think theres alot of blends out there that need alot of rest to bring out what theyre capable of... even if im buying just 2 singles.. one goes to the bottom of my humi..

WildBlueSooner
06-13-2009, 08:21 AM
For me first impressions are huge, but I always make an effort to give second chances. This goes for cigars as well as most other things. I try to completely block out any lingering "feelings" towards a brand and try another one. This has paid dividends in the past because some of my favorite smokes were ones that I did not enjoy on the first smoke.

Another thing to keep in mind is sometimes it is the smoker, not the smoke. Depending on what you ate, how you feel, etc. a good smoke can just be bad on a certain day.

:ss

kelmac07
06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I always give a stick a second change (might have gotten a dud)...exception to this rule is that damn Gorilla Finger by Lars Teten. I will NEVER entertain their product again!!

yourchoice
06-13-2009, 10:21 AM

This is pretty much the same as me....especially trying a lot of different sticks. The one caveat for me is the time between the two samples. If something is really disappointing, I may not revisit it for months and months months.

SmokinApe
06-13-2009, 10:29 AM
It really depends on the Marca... If it has a solid reputation I will revisit, if not I won't...

Ahbroody
06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I made this mistake with some CCs early on smoking them to soon. The end result was I was turned off to sticks like the SCDLH Principe. When I tried them again a year plus later I realized I had wasted a lot of time not smoking great sticks.

Dunkel
06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I have to say that after smoking a Tierra Del Sol by Perdomo that I may avoid just about any cigar that has by such and such instead of a real makers name. I have 4 more in the humidor that i hope time will sort out.

BengalMan
06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I tend to buy cigars that I haven't tried in pairs. The first one to smoke immediately, the second to revisit in a month or so.