PDA

View Full Version : Urgent News For Knife Owners!

Wolfgang
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I seams the current definition of switchblades will be changed to "any one handed opening knife" This will put assisted opening, manual opening, even older slip joint models into the illegal category. Please visit this website and email your congressmen we only have so many rights. We do not need any more to be taken away!

The Gun people have been fighting strong, lets take after them and stand up for our rights.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=150

Please help.

The Poet
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't that make utility knives illegal too? Boy, the sheetrock guys will be in deep sheet.

Drat
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
If asked by a law enforcement officer to open your knife, ALWAYS open it with two hands...

I can gravity open just about any folding knife. These laws are ridiculous...

HK3-
06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
These laws are made to be taken in any way THEY want them to be taken. Whichever favors them best at the time. :2

TripleF
06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Unfreakinbeleivable.

Come arrest me :mad:

icehog3
06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
These laws are state laws, not federal laws, so the definitions are made on a state by state basis.

Bruzee
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Pretty stupid for sure.... This would make almost all of us criminals, including me. I dont plan on not carrying mine anytime soon.

icehog3
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Pretty stupid for sure.... This would make almost all of us criminals, including me. I dont plan on not carrying mine anytime soon.

No sweat, Dustin, we can bring guns to the knife fight. ;)

Wolfgang
06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
These laws are state laws, not federal laws, so the definitions are made on a state by state basis.

Just another reason everyone should send a message to their state congressman.
:tu

Call me crazy but i havet read much abotu criminals going out, buying a $600 custom knife, then stabbing someone.........

Starscream
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
The road to ?what? was paved with good intentions?

Bruzee
06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
No sweat, Dustin, we can bring guns to the knife fight. ;)

Ain't that the truth Tom! :banger

icehog3
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Call me crazy but i havet read much abotu criminals going out, buying a $600 custom knife, then stabbing someone.........

Nope...usually it's a $2 steak knife. Criminals ain't the sharpest knives in the drawer. :)

Wolfgang
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
exactly. I hope this bill, act, law, whatever never even makes it to voting.

DPD6030
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
exactly. I hope this bill, act, law, whatever never even makes it to voting.

:tpd:

Wolfgang
06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
How many of you have sent your letter?

I have.

Lets play a game. In the following picture how many of the knives will be made ILLEGAL under the reclassification of switchblades?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/wolfgang8810/knife1.jpg

Every single one of them.

smokeyandthebandit05
06-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Well they can pry my Benchmades from my cold dead hands

----------------
Now playing: Kenny Chesney - Out Last Night (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/kenny+chesney/track/out+last+night)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Wolfgang
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Can you imagine the Police officers trying to enforce this? "Im sorry sir but according to the dumbasses in office you are now a felon."

floydpink
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I doubt that will pass in Florida, but if it does, I'd imagine my concealed weapon permit will allow me to continue carrying my Kershaw on my belt.

Wolfgang
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I would hope so Pete. I have to wait till Aug 2 before I can get mine.

Deadline for letters to be sent is June 21st. Send an Email. Here is a Model. Personalize the 1st paragraph so it dosent get filtered as spam.

I have become aware that CBP is revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives (that require manual manipulation to deploy!) are NOT switchblades. Since many courts and legislative bodies rely upon these CBP knife definitions, this revised ruling will have broad and unintended consequences. Your re-definition of these folding knives will create foolish bureaucracy and regulation, criminalize millions of good people, create more economic hardship by destroying the knife and tool industry (and the military/LE access to these items as well), and in the end will only lessen public safety.

• Knives are already highly regulated with current laws, both on national and local levels. Millions of good people across the country use folding knives for duty, utility tasks, outdoors activities, emergency services, rescue operations, and for legal defensive purposes. This CBP interpretation burdens law enforcement and will instantly criminalize about 40 million good people. It is very unlikely anyone would dispose of any knives and it will create unnecessary enmity between citizenry and government.

• The economy is failing. And yet your ruling will make it worse. The outlawing of assisted opening AND most other folding knives with this ruling will destroy a thriving industry that employs thousands upon thousands of people. This is an industry that only needs to be left alone to succeed. And for years, succeed they have despite tremendous economic challenges. It is also this knife and tool industry that supplies these items to our armed forces and law enforcement officers. The CBP ruling will crush it and lead us further towards a full-on economic Depression. The military and police will have nowhere to turn for their knives then. Is this what you want?

• A knife is a viable and legal defensive tool, often carried by reasonable and good people. This CBP revocation is a capricious assault of these defensive and utility tools legally used by millions of Americans. Like a firearm, these tools should enjoy the same Constitutional protections (arms) and the bad guys will always have such items and they always have. It is only the law abiding citizen that will be felonized by this assault on knife possession. Again, is this what you want and is this good law?

• With this re-definition, most folding knives will be interpreted as illegal despite the smokescreen of disinformation your office seems to be dispensing over this issue. This re-definition of switchblades is far reaching and carries the aforementioned political and societal liabilities. It will do nothing to increase public safety. At the very least, this matter should be open to public commentary for 120 days. Please extend this feedback period and open up the option for emailed responses. More to the point, I feel this issue will be a political liability for your office and I urge you to ABANDON this ruling immediately. For the record then, I FULLY oppose your offices actions re-classifying these knives as switchblades. I will thank you for adhering to previous switchblade definitions and in doing so you will gain my political support of your office again.

Sincerely,

floydpink
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
August 2? My birthday is August 3.

Strap in for a LOOOONG wait for your carry permit

Nick
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats why I only have fixed blade deer skinnin knives, :fu

wrench turner 85
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
what a stupid law. Do what I do,Carry a K-Bar. see how many officers want to get that out of your hands. Remember, in a knife fight someone is going to get cut. :2

Junior
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
First they go after guns, now knives. Don’t they know that criminals don’t care what the law is?

Sancho
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I've carried a knife for preparedness since I was in scouts, currently a spyder with a wave action. Honestly it was just a matter of time because a properly operated wave action is faster than any switchblade Ive ever seen :2

Of course in the defense aspect if I need a knife Ive got far bigger problems. Worth noting Sig Sauer makes some nice tools that are exempt from this possible law ;)