PDA

View Full Version : Blending - How do the flavors get in there?

BradNC
06-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I've been reading on here and on the internet about blending. I'm confused on how these different flavors get in to the tobacco. Is it just between our ears or how do they get a "fruity" or "nutty" taste into the tobacco? Do they keep the blending the same in each cigar line so you know what flavor to expect and when?

I've been smoking cigars for about a year or so I think. Only recently I think I finally figured it out or some of it as far as smoking slow, noticing flavors every once in a while, etc.

Thanks!

JJG
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I've been smoking for around 10 years now and I still don't know how they do it. I'm more fascinated by consistency though. For instance, I don't know how many Padrons I've smoke but EVERY SINGLE ONE tastes the same. There may be subtle differences between the sizes but for the most part, you can pick them out blind after a while.

Emjaysmash
06-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I've been smoking for around 10 years now and I still don't know how they do it. I'm more fascinated by consistency though. For instance, I don't know how many Padrons I've smoke but EVERY SINGLE ONE tastes the same. There may be subtle differences between the sizes but for the most part, you can pick them out blind after a while.

This is what truly makes cigars amazing imho. First, they are all rolled by hand so skillfully that thousands upon thousands of cigars are exactly the same size, shape, etc. Secondly, such a precise blend is used; only the right percentage of certain tobacco leaves put together that make the blend-and the thousands of cigars are almost exactly the same! It was this awe and wonder that got me into this hobby. Sometimes we forget to appreciate the time, effort and skill it takes to make a literal art piece.

shadow king
06-05-2009, 11:48 PM
I think its a credit to the years and generations of tobacco plants that are grown and cultivated. Just look at what we can do with veggies now a days in hybrids, ect...

groogs
06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know how its done, but I sure appreciate the skill it takes to get our smokes tasting the way they do.

jjirons69
06-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it's one thing to roll cigars this year from a certain year's crop, but for the same brand of cigar to taste relatively the same way year after year is a heck of a feat! I can't even get grilled chciken to taste the same way everytime.