PDA

View Full Version : Wine cooler questions

karmaz00
06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
just had a few questions for the members that use wine coolers for humidors.
im using a few coolers right now and looking to switch to a wine cooler.
1. does it have to be thermoelectric?
2. auto defrost?
3. and is 62-64F good for temp?

thanks for the help

shilala
06-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I use modified compressor drivens because I can keep the temp up around 70 degrees.
I don't believe there's an auto-defrost feature on any wine cooler, it's not a refrigerator/freezer, there's no need. It's a totally different animal.
Personally, I feel 62-64F is way too cold, just cause I don't like smoking a cold cigar and they seem to split once lit.
If you kept them cold, then moved to a regular desktop or something for your "smoking stash", that'd be cool.
For the moeny, with a little technical skill, a compressor driven wine cooler is far more versatile and you get a lot more room for the money.
If you're not real handy, and don't want to nib around, a vino or edgestar thermoelectric is the way to go. Chasden makes badass drawers for them, and there are dozens and dozens of BOTL's using them to draw knowledge from.
Hope this helps!!! :)

DPD6030
06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
just had a few questions for the members that use wine coolers for humidors.
im using a few coolers right now and looking to switch to a wine cooler.
1. does it have to be thermoelectric? No but that's all I have
2. auto defrost? it doesn't get that cold to defrost
3. and is 62-64F good for temp? so far my basement is around 63-66F and I have had no problems with my NCs or CCs

thanks for the help

DrDubzz
06-05-2009, 10:06 PM
lol, I thought this was going to be about Boone's Farm or something from the title...

tchariya
06-05-2009, 10:54 PM
we're classier...pass me the Bartle & James...

The Poet
06-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I store my stogies in a magnum of Arbor Mist - sorta like a poor man's Opus X.