PDA

View Full Version : Affirmative Action.....yay or nay?

icantbejon
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I know this is can be a fairly touchy subject but I'm just curious as to how people feel about it. I am not looking for any racist, sexist nonsense here. I prefer the more educated (aka adult) type of conversation. Personally, I've always been a supporter (to an extent) of the plan. I believe that a system has to be in place to help those in needy positions to truly help themselves get ahead. For example, a poor black female student with solid grades from a crap part of town and a lousy school deserves a shot at getting into a college. We should be able to help that individual.

That being said, I hate when I hear about people getting passed over for a job based on a quota. Companies should be able to hire the best PERSON for the job, that is what our capitalist society is about.

Mod's, if this is inappropriate feel free to delete. Not sure if it crosses the line into political stuff.

AAlmeter
06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Merit, and merit only.

In my opinion, the many efforts to eliminate the -isms in our world have only backfired. If the goal is (and its a big IF) to achieve equality, the best way is to let people assimilate and discover that race, sex, creed, etc really have no bearing on a person's abilities or worth. But when you artificially inflate one side's abilities or worth based solely on superficial qualities, it tends to swing the pendulum in the opposite direction.

EDIT: Who would ever guess that Archie would be the only one to touch this thread? :r

SSatVT
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I guess I would have to say that I was for it when it was created (before my time), but in its current state in the Unites States I am almost completely against it.

I know of and have read of many people being turned down for jobs/higher education because they did not meet the demographic criteria, but their professional portfolio was either in-line or above the mean being accepted.

In a professional sense it should be completely about your background and how you conduct yourself; not what skin color or religion you are.

So basically I say NAY. I think affirmative action should no longer be present in the US and that it should continue to be illegal to discriminate against races, sexes, and religion in a professional setting (employment, education, housing, and economics).

That is about as far as I can take my view without getting political.

massphatness
06-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Affirmative Action is a political policy, no?

This thread's title treads gray waters. Without arguing or objecting to the merits of the OP, my gut tells me the subject matter here is going to end up being problematic.
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
06-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Yup...basically a political debate, not allowed here. Sorry guys.