PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a server AND a humidor?

MajorCaptSilly
06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
This will do it:

http://www.homeservidor.com/

MCS

adampc22
06-01-2009, 06:30 AM
omg i cryed a lil bit when i clicked that link

Mr.Maduro
06-01-2009, 06:49 AM
With the amount of heat servers give off, that would be like keeping your humidor on a radiator. :confused:

macpappy
06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
What are you going to do when the homeserver crashes and the bugs infest your cigars?

WildBlueSooner
06-01-2009, 10:32 AM
haha that is awesome and dumb!

dunng
06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I like it but I agree, it could cause too many issues... :c

Raralith
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
It's a dual core Atom (found in many netbooks) and doesn't run hot. You probably can run this passively with a good HSF so heat isn't a problem. Very small for a server, 2x 3.5, which is definately not enough to backup my stuff. Price is ridicious too.

I gotta admit, I'm thinking too much of it as a gag item.

marge796
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
haha that is awesome and dumb!

^^^ What he said ^^^

:r

Chris.....

HK3-
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Anyone hava looksy at the price on that jewel? Whoa mama!

Nimbus
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
:r Where is the LCD, keyboard, mouse, etc.? :r

RaiderinKS
06-01-2009, 05:01 PM
OMG link of the day.

s15driftking
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
what the heck?

Smokin Gator
06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Holds 10-12 of your finest cigars
:r:r:r

Hmmm a couple of days worth when I am on a roll. I think I will order one.:ss

SmokeyJoe
06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I think it is just... well...

SILLY! :D

RGD.
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
:r Where is the LCD, keyboard, mouse, etc.? :r

Windows Home Server - remote controlled if I'm not mistaken.

Ron

RaiderinKS
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Wait, how are they going to control temperature? Servers give off heat as a waste byproduct.

bigloo
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Think of all the similarities that apply to both:

bugs are bad --> server and humidor
to much humidity bad --> server and humidor
not too hot or to cold --> server and humidor
will eventually fill up, need to go bigger --> server and humidor
contents worth more the hardware --> server and humidor
the bigger they are, the more fans they need --> server and humidor
your neighbors is always better --> server and humidor
your wife thinks it is a waste of money --> server and humidor
your kids are not allowed to play with it --> server and humidor
are sometimes filled with illegal contents --> server and humidor
some guys buy out the box, others make their own --> server and humidor
neither can be used to impress the opposite sex --> server and humidor

Silly, I don't think so!

:ss

bvilchez
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
i think i pissed my pants on how hard i laughed......but at least i got my ab workout in

Jbailey
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
What are you going to do when the homeserver crashes and the bugs infest your cigars?

Hopefully you would have remembered to back up your cigars.:D

Starscream
06-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it is just... well...

SILLY! :D

:tpd::D

Totemic
06-02-2009, 10:15 AM
It's a dual core Atom (found in many netbooks) and doesn't run hot.
The CPU may not, but unless you plan on using nothing but external storage, the harddrives in it will (not to mention RAM and any other additional controller chipset being used). The Atom may only sink 8W of power, but the harddrives can easily double that and from the looks of it, there's damn little in the way of air flow (certainly no vents that I can see in the picture). And even 8W, over time will build up heat. 75 degrees F isn't much in the computing world in terms of heat, but in the cigar world, that's pretty much the cap.

rennD
06-02-2009, 10:21 AM
The Microsoft bugs will steal your cigars and re-band them theirs :r

Now of that server came with Linux .... hhhmmmmm ;)

shilala
06-02-2009, 10:33 AM
That is the coolest and stupidest cigar invention I never thought of.
I love it. :)

acarr
06-02-2009, 10:40 AM
All it needs is one of these:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/5912.html

nozero
06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Oy vey!

MajorCaptSilly
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
The CPU may not, but unless you plan on using nothing but external storage, the harddrives in it will (not to mention RAM and any other additional controller chipset being used). The Atom may only sink 8W of power, but the harddrives can easily double that and from the looks of it, there's damn little in the way of air flow (certainly no vents that I can see in the picture). And even 8W, over time will build up heat. 75 degrees F isn't much in the computing world in terms of heat, but in the cigar world, that's pretty much the cap.

How 'bout solid state drives?

MCS

Totemic
06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
How 'bout solid state drives?

MCS

There's basically two types of SSD:

Flash memory based and DRAM based.

Flash memory based SSD is really not very suitable for server roles simply because they have some serious drawbacks when making a lot of write ops on the storage. Write tend to be slow, there are limited number of write cycles per cell, and generally if you change a single byte in a cell, you have to re-write the entire cell, etc...

DRAM based systems potentially are significantly worse than platter based harddrives where power draw is concerned. An idle harddrive uses very little power. An idle DRAM based SSD pretty much uses just as much power as a non-idle DRAM based SSD.

So if you're using the server as a file server (serving up mostly static files with very little in way of new files being added), then yeah a flash based SSD should work and may lower some of the power draw. However, I'd say that's a fairly pointless exercise since you're looking at a LOT of $$$ for an SSD based server--might as well just get a harddrive based server and buy a really nice thermoelectrically cooled humidor with the money (it'll probably end up being cheaper).

MajorCaptSilly
06-03-2009, 03:23 PM
There's basically two types of SSD:

Flash memory based and DRAM based.

Flash memory based SSD is really not very suitable for server roles simply because they have some serious drawbacks when making a lot of write ops on the storage. Write tend to be slow, there are limited number of write cycles per cell, and generally if you change a single byte in a cell, you have to re-write the entire cell, etc...

DRAM based systems potentially are significantly worse than platter based harddrives where power draw is concerned. An idle harddrive uses very little power. An idle DRAM based SSD pretty much uses just as much power as a non-idle DRAM based SSD.

So if you're using the server as a file server (serving up mostly static files with very little in way of new files being added), then yeah a flash based SSD should work and may lower some of the power draw. However, I'd say that's a fairly pointless exercise since you're looking at a LOT of $$$ for an SSD based server--might as well just get a harddrive based server and buy a really nice thermoelectrically cooled humidor with the money (it'll probably end up being cheaper).

I was referring to the Intel brand of SSD's. Watch prices on these by the end of this year. They should be very close to current prices on 15K SAS drives.

MCS

s15driftking
06-03-2009, 03:29 PM
i want to ad some confusion to this thread!!!

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/04/06/5-strange-japanese-robots/

poker
06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
I guess my only question would be "why?"

I mean I like grape jelly, and I also like sushi, but you wont see me mixing the 2 together. ;)

s15driftking
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I mean I like grape jelly, and I also like sushi, but you wont see me mixing the 2 together. ;)

you are missing out my friend!!

doctorcue
06-04-2009, 01:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/doctorcue/humiserver.jpg

;)

Smoking Dragon
06-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Anyone hava looksy at the price on that jewel? Whoa mama!

Yeah but free shipping to US. :wo

Totemic
06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I was referring to the Intel brand of SSD's. Watch prices on these by the end of this year. They should be very close to current prices on 15K SAS drives.

MCS

Are you referring to Intel SLC based drives? They are averaging around $600 for a 64GB system. SLC based drives are EXTREMELY expensive right now (there's also the M line which is MLC based, and are cheaper but still more expensive than harddrives, not to mention less performant/reliable than the SLC version). And probably will be for the next few years. I'm sure with Moore's Law kicking in, they'll drop in price, but I think it'll still be a few years before they can compete with harddrives.

And you shouldn't be comparing them with SAS drives since those are really designed for different purposes. SAS are designed for high speed random access (especially random writes). Flash based SSD drive's random writes are pretty anemic compared to SAS drives (yes, sequential read/writes rock, but servers generally don't do a lot of sequential read/writes).

Now DRAM based SSD would be great, but those have other drawbacks (namely if the power to the drives go down and you've not committed the transaction to some sort of non-volatile store, you're going to lose those transactions--a drawback, that's absolutely verboten in the server world). A hybrid DRAM based SSD with battery backup + harddrives would be great though, but also freakishly expensive, you know like the one that Sun recently introduced. Although I have no idea what would happen if a database engine wrote a transaction using write through mode--is that write hitting the DRAM or the harddrive?

Anyways, kind of pointless diversion from the original topic. Which is a "cute but very impractical idea".

Wolfgang
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
My butt itches :r