PDA

View Full Version : Ties suck

Silound
05-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, topic says it all. Why on Earth do I need to have a silly archaic piece of cloth tied around my neck like a noose is beyond me.

To be fair, I'm only ranting because, even after wearing a tie day to day for 2 years, I still can't tie one the first try, it always takes me 2-3 attempts to get it perfect :)

MajorCaptSilly
05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, topic says it all. Why on Earth do I need to have a silly archaic piece of cloth tied around my neck like a noose is beyond me.

To be fair, I'm only ranting because, even after wearing a tie day to day for 2 years, I still can't tie one the first try, it always takes me 2-3 attempts to get it perfect :)

I hear ya. I wore a tie every day for asa long as I can remember. I decided to go more casual for my current position and nobody is making a peep since I'm at the top of the sales ladder. I still put one on occasionally when meeting with a new client.

MCS

LasciviousXXX
05-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Its funny how people have completely different reactions to the same thing. I'm one of those guys that wears a shirt and tie to work not because I have to, but because I like wearing a tie.

I know, all my coworkers think I'm weird as well LOL.

qwerty1500
05-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Suit and tie job. Told the wife that if I die before her and she buries me in a tie, I'm coming back to haunt her. Can't stand the thought of spending enternity in a tie.

White97Jimmy
05-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Go work for Google, t-shirt and jeans is the dress code!

Opusfxd
05-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I gave up ties for Lent many years ago. Now I'm just trying to figure out how sitting in my little cloth box of a cube wearing Dockers makes me more productive or turn out better work.

ActionAndy
05-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Its funny how people have completely different reactions to the same thing. I'm one of those guys that wears a shirt and tie to work not because I have to, but because I like wearing a tie.

I genuinely enjoy neckties. I don't have a lot of necessity for them, but I do think they're rad...

JE3146
05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I wear shorts and a t-shirt....

Being an engineer has its perks :D

acarr
05-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Shorts, t-shirt and some teva's. My boss can be a real jerk:tu

Wondering Nomad
05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Suit and tie guy for 7 years now. I miss the dot com days when it was cargo shorts and t-shirts. The job wouldn't be so bad if we could just go business casual.

Rockestone
05-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Not required but I do wear a tie most days. I just think it better represents the company I work for.

Beagleone
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
I hate ties. I had to wear one almost every day I worked for the brown army. Even during the hot summers in the warehouse!!! 100 degrees outside, 115 degrees inside. Wasn't pleasant and I ruined plenty of good ties there. Now, I prefer casual business dress, but my boss is old school. So when he is around the office (once or twice a month) I wear a tie, otherwise they stay hanging in the closest door.

Ranger_B
05-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Never a fan. I can get used to a jacket. Hell even throw in a collar but please dont make me wear a tie.

jjirons69
05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't wear one without fitzing with it all day. I continualy pull it tight, make sure the knot is straight...you know the deal. I don't have to wear one at work and if I did, I'd have OCD. :D

Ashcan Bill
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I wore ties for years. While I don't mind putting one on occasionally for a formal event, that's it. If I ever decide to go back to work, it would have to be somewhere with an informal dress code. No more ties for me.

The nice thing about being retired is that the definition of formal wear has pretty much become shoes with laces. :ss

gettysburgfreak
05-30-2009, 09:07 PM

I am the same way. I get excited when I get to put on a suit and tie for job interviews. I love getting dressed to the 9s

Fumes
05-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I had a biology teacher who used to say that everything that has a form has a function. He always made a point of tugging on his tie and saying, "Except this."

But a mean old bolo tie with a turquoise encrusted steer skull always makes an impression.

BillyCigars
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM

I too, wear a suit and tie every day. I own my own business, so I mostly do it because A.) I'm so used to it from being a 7 year veteran of Wall Street, and B.) because I like to ;)

I know it sounds strange but being my own boss, I tend to go out of my way to dress up just because I *can*. :D

ActionAndy
05-31-2009, 12:34 AM
I too, wear a suit and tie every day. I own my own business, so I mostly do it because A.) I'm so used to it from being a 7 year veteran of Wall Street, and B.) because I like to ;)

I know it sounds strange but being my own boss, I tend to go out of my way to dress up just because I *can*. :D

I'm trying to listen to the new Robert Palmer tape...but Evelyn, my supposed fiancée, keeps buzzing in my ear...

SmokinDuck
05-31-2009, 02:20 AM

After 15 years you get used to it and generally you come to look at others that should be wearing one and aren't as lacking. Probably just the way I was brought up though.

Times are a changing and things are a bit to casual now a days for my tastes. It's hard to take a "professional" seriously when he is wearing blue jeans, a polo shirt and flip flops.

I should add that I have around 50 or so ties. I look on them as wearable art.

Screwbag
05-31-2009, 04:23 AM
The most formal I like to go is the Polo shirt. I hate ties like crazy!!

BillyCigars
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm trying to listen to the new Robert Palmer tape...but Evelyn, my supposed fiancée, keeps buzzing in my ear...

:r:r:r :ss

Wolfgang
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM
on another note what is the exact purpose of a rubber ducky?

ucla695
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Thank goodness for business casual. :tu

chippewastud79
05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Ties are for weddings only. In college for travel we had to wear a suit on away games and I think I kept my tie tied at the correct length for the entire time rather than unraveling it. I just couldn't get it right, and never on the first try. :tu

icehog3
05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Ties are for weddings only. In college for travel we had to wear a suit on away games and I think I kept my tie tied at the correct length for the entire time rather than unraveling it. I just couldn't get it right, and never on the first try. :tu

Went to a wedding last night....sportcoat, dress shirt....and no tie. Haven't worn one for years, and ain't planning to anytime soon. ;) :r

mi2az
05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Go work for Google, t-shirt and jeans is the dress code!

I use to work for Borders Books in A2 Michigan at the Corporate Office. Flip-Flops, Shorts and Tee-Shirt.

DrDubzz
06-01-2009, 12:08 AM
when I wear a tie, I like to make sure I look good

however, I don't enjoy wearing them very much

kaisersozei
06-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Been wearing ties to work for more than 20 years. Not only do I enjoy mixing around that part of my wardrobe, but a suit & tie helps me do battle. It's my modern day knight's armor. At least in my mind.

gnukfu
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I wear shorts and a t-shirt....

Being an engineer has its perks :D

:tu - not that casual but jeans and open collar shirt....and steel toed boots, can't have it all.

MadAl
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I like wearing ties too. Not if I don't have to, but if it's part of the dress code, I have a really nice collection. Prefer the full Windsor.

Junior
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
My wife likes it when I wear a suit, and tie. With my job it is suit and tie until Memoral day then we switch to golf shirts. I do don the suit for important clients, or coprate meetings.

Drat
06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Screw those phallic nooses! I have to wear one when I have a meeting with anybody above my boss's level, but it's more of a suggestion than a requirement. I had an 11am meeting with some people at the top of my agency and the NYC EDC. The tie was gone the second the elevator door closed.

Mr.Maduro
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't want to wear one everyday, but I purchase ones that catch my eye every now and again to wear at special functions, weddings, etc. To me, each new tie is like a whole new suit. :2

rizzle
06-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I've worn one 4 days a week for the last 14 years and 6 days a week for the 5 years before that. Just part of the deal. Plus I'm extremely handsome and the wimmenz love the way they look on me
:r.

VTDragon
06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I wore one for many years as a retail manager. The damn things were always getting caught in something and were perpetually dirty and/or stained. Been working for myself for the past 11 years and haven't worn one since, except for weddings and funerals. I'm more comfortable in my polo shirt and my clients don't mind a bit.

chippewastud79
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Went to a wedding last night....sportcoat, dress shirt....and no tie. Haven't worn one for years, and ain't planning to anytime soon. ;) :r

Not required, thats just about the only time I put one on :tu

CueTheMusic
06-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I think I own three ties. One was bought for job interviews out of college, the other two for funerals. I can't stand wearing them. Only if I have to, and even then, they come off as soon as they are able.

Smokin Gator
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a bunch of ties... but haven't worn one for quite some time. I don't own a suit anymore. I do have a navy sport coat but if I wear it I make sure to wear TopSiders and no socks of course.

Raralith
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I started my career at a large CPA firm doing public accuonting (tax) and tie was required which I honestly didn't like. I went into private accounting (cost accounting) a few years back, and I miss my tie wearing days now. While I work at a manufacturing plant, and no one dresses up, I at least go in with a sports jacket, pocket square, button up, trousers, and dress shoes. I'm beginning to wear suits with a nice tie and matching pocket square on Wednesday too, and hoping to creep up into 4 days a week.

I like looking very presentable, not raging on jeans and a t-shirt, and my wife thinks it is overkill. I don't have too many ties anyways, 15 or so, but I'm still collecting. Pocket squares though, whole 'nother subject!

Waynegro1
06-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I like to wear a tie. I just think they look nice and "tie" the suit together, so to speak. What's the Christmas gift without the bow and gift wrap? What is the great Italian dish without the sauce and fresh basil? Life is about presentation. :D

icehog3
06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I like to wear a tie. I just think they look nice and "tie" the suit together, so to speak. What's the Christmas gift without the bow and gift wrap? What is the great Italian dish without the sauce and fresh basil? Life is about presentation. :D

I just get the veins in my arms to look like pythons, and wear a sleeveless T-shirt to where the girls are at.

Like you said, it's all about presentation. ;) :r

BigAsh
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a bunch of ties... but haven't worn one for quite some time. I don't own a suit anymore. I do have a navy sport coat but if I wear it I make sure to wear TopSiders and no socks of course.

.....Hooligan....:D.......Me, I love ties.....wear a suit and tie daily....But the ties are the key, thet pull it all together :tu

Can you pick me out of the pic below?
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/8652150149/IMG_0562.jpg

Photo courtesy of Andrew (AD720)

Dukeuni
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Ya, not a tie fan myself. Working as a prosecutor everyday is suite and tie. I wish I could go back a few years to those college days of shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops every day.

Waynegro1
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I just get the veins in my arms to look like pythons, and wear a sleeveless T-shirt to where the girls are at.

Like you said, it's all about presentation. ;) :r

Exactly :r

rizzle
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm cool with the ties, now jackets, they drive me crazy. I wear a jacket as little as absolutley possible. I gots to have my freedom.

Starscream
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM

:tpd:

Mark C
06-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I get pretty cranky whenever I have to wear long sleeves, let alone a tie. Try to avoid it as much as possible. Jeans and a collared shirt most days, but I like to observe 'casual Friday' = jeans and solid color t-shirt. I think I'm the only one who celebrates that 'holiday' in my office...

Starscream
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I will say that I can't stand to wear a tie w/ short sleeves. It just looks wrong to me.

Opusfxd
06-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I will say that I can't stand to wear a tie w/ short sleeves. It just looks wrong to me.
Only guys I know that can come close to pulling that off are airline pilots. Must be the sunglasses. :r

Starscream
06-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Only guys I know that can come close to pulling that off are airline pilots. Must be the sunglasses. :r

Pilots, and this guy: 2858

AD720
06-07-2009, 04:20 PM

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/sipowicz.jpg

'Nuff said. :)

BillyCigars
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Another vote against short-sleeved shirts with tie:

:r

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/tom/tom2.jpg

BillyCigars
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
And one more:

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/milton/milton1.jpg

kelmac07
06-07-2009, 09:52 PM

It's just as wrong as two boys in bed!!

Opusfxd
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Another vote against short-sleeved shirts with tie:

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/tom/tom2.jpg

But what if I have people skills???