PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu herf reminds me why

icantbejon
10-19-2008, 05:05 AM
So my deployment has lasted just at 12 months now. That is a long time. My fellow deployed brothers can attest to that. Well, last night we sat through a very late meeting which left myself and a group of others fairly well stressed out. Tensions have been high recently as we begin planning for heading home, trying to keep our area secure, and making sure our Soldiers are taken care of. In any case, we came out of the meeting and I was talking to a fellow good buddy and company commander who I don't see much since he took command. He was staying on our FOB last night, so I asked him if he was up for a smoke.

It seemed like a bomb went off at our battalion HQ. The whole staff came flocking into the room, bright eyed and bushy tailed, which that haven't been in a long time. So I drove back to my building, grabbed my pelicanidor and brought it back to the HQ. Before I knew what happened, I had about 12 people lined up for a smoke. I opened up my pelicanidor for all. We went outside and lit up. We had a great two hour sit down over smokes and just winded down. It was one of those great times when people, without saying it, agree to let work stay in the building and just relax and crack jokes. It was great to see all my friends step back for a while and relax, especially knowing that today when they woke up the cycle starts again and the stress is back.

It was a great night and it reminded me of why I do enjoy smoking so much. I love to sit out in the afternoon and enjoy a smoke by myself. But more importantly, I love the smokes with groups of friends, or just my wife, where everything slows down and life is good....even if it is just for a night and today the stress of the world is back on my shoulders.

FXAdam
10-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Sounds like a great moment. It's nice to have a tool at hand that is such an aid to just kicking back and relaxing.

Mark C
10-19-2008, 06:15 AM
That's awesome, glad you found a few hours of peace and happiness in the middle of it all!

CBI_2
10-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how these wonderful little sticks we smoke can transport us, especially when shared with good people, to another world with few cares, if even only for an hour or so.

av8tor152d
10-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I do recall those days and Thanks for the story Jon, Brought back a nice memory.

AriesOpusX
10-19-2008, 07:08 AM
It's amazing what some rolled up leaves can do for a group of guys that need some relaxation. Awesome story.

LkyLindy
10-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks and be safe Bro-thats #1

68TriShield
10-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks and be safe Bro-thats #1

:tpd: See you soon Jon!

icantbejon
10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
It was a really good evening. Thanks for the well wishes guys, I'll definitely stay as safe as possible.