PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare the perfect burger patty?

JE3146
05-24-2009, 05:01 PM
There are endless variations on this, and I'd love to try some new ideas.

Nothing frozen patty related in this thread please. I want to hear about fresh ground meant formed into fresh patties and whatever else goes into it.

:tu

boonedoggle
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I just noticed some McComicks Hamburger seasoning in the cabinet. I want to try it soon. Maybe tomorrow!:)

JaKaacH
05-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Shred some carrots real fine and mix in with the meat along with your favorite seasonings. The carrots impart no flavor but make the patty's real juicy. :dr

Don't forget the Miller LITE..

smokin5
05-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Minced garlic bulb in the middle, A-1 Steak sauce on the outside.:)

pnoon
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Martini in the left hand. Spatula in the right. :al

kelmac07
05-24-2009, 10:09 PM
...And a nice stick in the mouth...

SeanGAR
05-25-2009, 04:07 AM
No fancy stuff here, I use regular (read high fat) ground beef, salt and pepper before making into patties, proper cooking. I've tried different things and like this the best.

BeerAdvocate
05-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I add plain yogurt or sourcream. Keeps it super moist!

bigloo
05-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Take a pat of very cold butter (frozen ok too), roll it in cajun spices and form the burger around it. brush patty with oil and season with s&p and cajun spices if wanted. Grill, flipping once to make sure crush forms. DELICIOUS!

mikeandshellie2
05-25-2009, 10:40 AM
ok, I have a few.. We usually add this before making out hamburger patties we add either ranch dip mix (powder) or we also add onion soup mix. The kids like them both as do I, but Mike tends to enjoy the ranch burgers better.

gpugliese
05-25-2009, 10:48 AM
High fat ground beef, salt, pepper. Sometimes I'll make two thin patties, place a medallion sized piece of gorgonzola or another cheese in the middle and gently press the two patties together, pinching the edges to form into one patty with the cheese inside.

The less manhandling of the beef the better, and never ever press when on the grill!

massphatness
05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I throw an egg into the ground beef to keep the meat moist and help retain it's shape. Then, I generally mix in any number of spices depending on what I'm looking to acheive ... big fan of garlic and something to give it kick: cumin, hot pepper, etc.

LasciviousXXX
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM

YES!!!!

Catfish
05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I throw an egg into the ground beef to keep the meat moist and help retain it's shape.

:tpd:

I use ultra lean fresh ground sirloin and cook it nuclear heat till mid rare. Seasoned 1 of 3 ways; Lawry's garlic salt and black pepper, Montreal steak or TGI Friday's burger seasoning.

marge796
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I like some good quality ground beef " high fat content " with a little sweet sausage, garlic, rosemary, basil, Italian bread crumbs " small amount", finely diced pepper and make the biggest house burger you can and then throw it on the grill with a toasted bun and some horseradish mustard. YUMMY!

:dr

Chris.....

smokeyandthebandit05
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I usually cook the burger plain and when I flip it I throw some Montreal or mesquite seasoning and worcestershire sauce before throwing the cheese on

rack04
05-26-2009, 09:07 AM
No fancy stuff here, I use regular (read high fat) ground beef, salt and pepper before making into patties, proper cooking. I've tried different things and like this the best.

I agree 100% with only adding salt and pepper but I've always added after the patty is formed. I was taught to keep burgers simple. Remember we're making a burger patty and not a meatloaf patty.

JE3146
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Great posts so far. So many variations on this, it's incredible. :D Can't wait to try a few of these out.

ahc4353
05-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I usually cook the burger plain and when I flip it I throw some Montreal or mesquite seasoning and worcestershire sauce before throwing the cheese on

Rules!!

King James
05-26-2009, 09:30 AM
I always use Worcestershire sauce in my burgers

Starscream
05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Carefully and with a lot of love.

Wolfgang
05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
1. get meat
2. make patty shaped
3. put on grill
4. eat.

nom nom nom

shaggy
05-26-2009, 05:11 PM
quick and easy,,,,,mix in a bit of relish and some bread crumbs to make it not so mushy

JE3146
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
quick and easy,,,,,mix in a bit of relish and some bread crumbs to make it not so mushy

What no bacon? :D

fxpose
05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Patties with 30% fat content makes for the best, juiciest burgers....

ActionAndy
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I use only high quality ground champtanystropheus.

MedicCook
05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
As long as it is still moo'ing it works for me.

skibumdc
05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I mince up garlic and bacon and brown them together in a pan.
Once browned, combine with shredded cheese, ground beef or turkey, little salt, pepper, worcester sauce, maybe a bit of soy sauce.

Form into patties or sliders and grill.

They are awesome.

yourchoice
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I use all different kinds of seasoning depending on what I'm in the mood for, but some onion salt and fresh ground pepper is almost always part of it, mixed with something wet (bbq sauce, A1, What'sthishere Sauce). Nothing "mixed" with the meat either...just brushed on before grilling.

Key note: when forming the patties, I always make them sort of concave, the outer ring bulging. THat way as the meat cooks any swelling in the center is bringing it to the thickness of the outer ring.

Medium Rare to Medium...mmmmm

St. Lou Stu
05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Makes approx 6 burgers:

2.5 lbs Lean Ground Beef (to be re-fattened in a bit with the garbage below)
1 Miller Lite
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
Wish-Bone Robusto Italian Dressing
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (don't skimp, use the good stuff)

1) Mix all but beef in a 4" Deep 9x11 sealable Tupperware container.
2) Make some fat ass patties with the beef (minumum 1.5" thick and 5-6" round) we're talkin half pounders here.
3) Drop the patties in the mixture from step one and flip immediately to make sure both sides are coated in liquid.
4) Season the tops of the patties w/ Seasoned Salt and Pepper to taste.
5) Allow to marinate covered in the fridge for 3 hours minimum.
6) Throw em on the grill long enough to warm the blood in the center.

Enjoy

jledou
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Many different seasonings that are all thrown on after the meat hits the grill and brings a little juice up. Sometime Montreal, mesquite bbq, Caribbean Jerk or Cavender's Greek seasoning. Salt and Pepper are always a good standby.

woops
05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
McCormick, Grill Mates - Montreal Steak seasoning

Mix one level tablespoon per pound of ground beef.

Mix together and make patties

If you enjoy Blue Cheese :dr :

Take some aluminum foil and fold it into strips that are 1/2'' to 3/4'' wide.
Make a circle with them (slightly smaller than the diameter of the burger).
While on the grill, place them on top of the burger (last flip)
use a teaspoon to fill the ring with crumbled Blue Cheese.
Put the grill lid back on to allow the Blue Cheese to melt down.
Lift off the foil ring before serving. :rolleyes:

For me .... I get more taste with the Blue Cheese melted on top of the burger, rather than it being mixed in with the meat and made into patties. It's just my personal preference.

Dang! I need a blue cheese burger now!

Cigary
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Amazing ideas on burgers,,,I see some here I want to try as I have always put the ground beef in a big mixing bowl,,,add A-1 sauce with all of the spices and seasonings I can find in the cupboards,,,add one egg and then make burgers being careful not to pound or form the burgers into a pancake,,cook and burp some meaty goodness afterwards.

acarr
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
High fat ground beef, salt, pepper. Sometimes I'll make two thin patties, place a medallion sized piece of gorgonzola or another cheese in the middle and gently press the two patties together, pinching the edges to form into one patty with the cheese inside.

The less manhandling of the beef the better, and never ever press when on the grill!

This is also a great technique to use with a green chili in there. They are fabulous with a burger.

doctorcue
05-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I also do the fresh ground (20-30% best) with salt & pepper... but I add a dash of onion powder.

Damn... I want a burger now!!! :dr

DocLogic77
05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I like to use a 70% ground beef...and place a small amount of homemade herbed butter in the center. My herbed butter is just butter, little lime, fresh basil and parsley.

Trace63
05-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I always try to mix it up, but Ive used this recipe a few times and its always a hit.

1 sm Onion, chopped
1/4 ts Cayenne
~2/3 cloves of minced Garlic
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Black pepper
1/2 ts Curry powder
1/4 ts paprika
1/2 ts Dried thyme
Cheese of choice (for the middle)
1 Beaten egg
A touch of Worcestershire sauce

-Kamil

jonharky
05-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I have to agree with some of and say that montreal seasoning is the best I use it just baout everything...I prefer the spicy montreal but the regular is just as good

acarr
05-30-2009, 12:35 PM
What no bacon? :D

I can't believe it's not bacon...baconaise:tu

cort
05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
1. Get in car
2. Go to In N' Out
3. Enjoy

Cant beat it.:tu

I add chopped onion and garlic to some 80/20 ground beef and form some large patties. I let them sit in the fridge for an hour or two so they hold their shape. I rub the patties in mustard and then coat them in my favorite seasonings. This helps form a nice crust on the outside of the burgers and helps seal in all the juices. If you dont like mustard dont worry you cant taste it at all but it works very well to hold on your seasonings. You can really tatse your seasoning this way much better than you can if you mix it in the beef:2

As far as what seasonings to use it all depends what you are going for. If I am making my famous BBQ burgers I use a basic BBQ rub type of seasoning and top off the burger with some sharp cheddar and a handful of fried onion straws.

Throw the patties on the grill and try to flip only once. A few minutes on each side is all that is needed.

Try it you will like it.:tu

longknocker
05-30-2009, 04:01 PM
"Nature's Seasoning". Has all the spices you need in one bottle!:tu

SteveDMatt
05-31-2009, 06:37 AM
My butcher makes my burgers for me. You can get them fresh or fr**en (no flames please). Of course I buy them fresh when I can. I usually call and ask when they will have them fresh. Always important to have a good relationship with your butcher.

Anyhow, they use 75/25 black angus chuck for the ones I like the best. A little salt and pepper, cooked to mid-rare. Done.

Partagaspete
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
1 lb chopped Bison meat
1/4 C. Bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp Maggi Wurze
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix it up form and grill o a hot grill for about 7 minute each side or more as desired.

These are seriously good.

T

a2vr6
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Angus Beef Mixed with a little ground pork (trust me on this, I only use antibiotic free grain fed meat's)
Fresh chopped parsley
Mesquite Rub
Few Dashes of hot sauce
Garlic (fried a touch first to make it low key)
Little bit of Italian bread crumbs
One egg
Chipotle BBQ Sauce

On an Italian-style Kaiser Bun

mithrilG60
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
When my fiancee and I make ours using lean ground, we tend to mix in french onion powdered soup mix along with salt/pepper and a single egg. We make the patty using a largish jar lid (put a layer of plastic wrap in to make removal easier), press in roughly 1/8th lb of meat, then put a couple tbls of shredded cheddar/bacon bits mix on top leaving outside edge of patty clear, place roughly 1/8th lb meat on top and press edges together to form finished patty. Refrigerate for 20 - 30min to allow the meat to become a bit more solid.

The other burgers we make use ground buffalo, super super lean meat and very healthy. For those burgers we add a little salt and pepper and an egg up that's it. We enjoy the favour of the buffalo too much to alter it with any additional spices or flavourings.

SteveDMatt
06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Angus Beef Mixed with a little ground pork (trust me on this, I only use antibiotic free grain fed meat's)

Awesome idea! I do it with my meatballs (actually 50-50), why not a burger?

yourchoice
06-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Both of these points are soooo true. Almost falling apart when you flip them is best IMO :tu

My butcher makes my burgers for me. You can get them fresh or fr**en (no flames please). Of course I buy them fresh when I can. I usually call and ask when they will have them fresh. Always important to have a good relationship with your butcher.

Alright Steve, I must ask...who's your butcher? If he's quasi-close I may have to check him out!

SteveDMatt
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Alright Steve, I must ask...who's your butcher? If he's quasi-close I may have to check him out!

Joe Butcher shop in Vineland. Quite a distance from you, but maybe worth a trip. Another good one is Bringhurst in Tansboro (just south of Atco).

htown
06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Salt, pepper, worstershire, soy sauce, and chopped onion.

DocLogic77
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
1 lb chopped Bison meat
1/4 C. Bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp Maggi Wurze
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix it up form and grill o a hot grill for about 7 minute each side or more as desired.

These are seriously good.

T

That sounds awesome. Around here we have a restaurant that serves the Kitchen sink Bison burger....Bison, egg, cheese, mushroooms the works...best burger I have ever eaten.

AAlmeter
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Full fat freshly coarse ground sirloin. Salt and pepper before, and a heavy dose of salt as its on the grill. I also indent the center to keep them from turning into a giant meatball while cooking (I usually do 3/4 - 1 lb each).

Partagaspete
06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
That sounds awesome. Around here we have a restaurant that serves the Kitchen sink Bison burger....Bison, egg, cheese, mushroooms the works...best burger I have ever eaten.

It is a bit expensive here but worth it. IMHO of course.

KenS
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Ground Beef
Salt and Pepper
Glass of Port
Nice Cigar

Damn, was I cooking something? I forgot about that ... better get another glass of port before I nub this thing...

:ss

VTDragon
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Whatever recipe you use, once the patty is formed press your thumb into the middle before grilling making the middle a bit thinner than the rest of the patty. You will be amazed at how much this simple trick reduces patty shrinkage and insures a consistent level of "doneness" through the burger.

DocLogic77
06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
It is a bit expensive here but worth it. IMHO of course.

Yes...here too but worth every penny.

reggiebuckeye
06-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow, no mention of hot sauce or crushed red pepper?

1 egg, salt, pepper, a few dashes of Louisiana style hot sauce (ok a lot of dashes), add some crushed red pepper. Make patties as mentioned before.

Tasty and with a little kick.

chenvt
06-06-2009, 11:33 PM
It was either on America's Test Kitchen or Good Eats (neither of which I get here in Afghanistan :( ) that they showed something that sounds nasty, but makes a great burger: milk and bread. I kid you not. Especially if you have folks that like a (gasp) well done burger, milk and bread help keep it super moist. I forgot the ratio of milk and bread to beef, but last time I did this, even my friends who only like well done were flabbergasted.

On seasoning, I'm a plain salt/pepper guy, but occasionally like to add make a greek-style burger where you add some finely minced onion, rosemary, and feta cheese. Salt a pepper to taste. Can't go wrong!

chenvt
06-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Yes...here too but worth every penny.

Are we referring to Ted's Montana Grill? I'm all over the kitchen sink, but usually for dinner since you'll be in a coma after eating it.

BUCASmoker
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
My recipe:

80/20 ground beef
Worcestershire sauce
BBQ sauce
Salt (fresh ground, kosher)
Pepper (lots of it, fresh ground)
crushed red pepper
hot sauce
crushed onions
minced garlic (a ton of it)
grated cheese
Montreal seasoning

mrreindeer
08-14-2009, 10:14 AM
How do you prepare the perfect burger patty?

This is how!

http://www.babysbadassburgers.com/ - Only in Los Angeles right now, sorry fellas! Do I hear L.A. herf....??

BBB is a new, bright pink food truck dedicated solely to the mission of delivering "amazing burgers served by hot chicks". As far as the girls, the multi-ethnic actress/student/etc crew ranges from blondes to brunettes to redheads, all dressed semi-provocatively - CLICK ME TO SEE DEFINITION OF SEMI-PROVOCATIVE DRESS (http://www.thrillist.com/los-angeles/2009/08/14/babys-badass-burgers?launch=dressed_semi_provocatively) -

All sandwiches are served as side-by-side sliders on Hawaiian sweetbread buns; high qual Angus beef burger options include the "Original Beauty" (Swiss/grilled onions/sauteed mushrooms/special sauce), the "Mamacita" (pepperjack/guac/tomato/grilled onions) and the aged beef/St Andre cheese/black truffle "Cougar", which you only order late night because, like, your friends totally dared you.

fxpose
08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
The key is minimal handling and squeeze once to form the patty. The dimple in the middle as someone else mentioned also helps.

Kreth
08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Here's a trick I got from America's Test Kitchen on PBS:
Take one slice of white bread for about each 1 1/2 lbs. of beef. Remove the crusts and dice the remaining bread. Add enough milk to make a panade (thick paste). Add A-1 or Worcestershire and spices. I usually use garlic and pepper, maybe curry if I want a little kick. Mix the panade thoroughly with the ground beef. The panade acts as a binder to replace some of the fat that drips out, and the A-1 or Worcestershire replaces some of the flavor lost with the fat. You can grill these to a nice thick crust, and they'll still be very moist inside.

Edit: I see someone else already mentioned this. Doh! I didn't read the whole thread... :r

mrreindeer
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
This is how!

http://www.babysbadassburgers.com/ - Only in Los Angeles right now, sorry fellas! Do I hear L.A. herf....??

I still like it that way better. :D

poker
08-14-2009, 11:22 AM

1) Pull into drive thru
2) Say "Double double animal style" at sign after being greeted
3) Enjoy

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/405420879_1cd309e2d9.jpg

mrreindeer
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

1) Pull into drive thru
2) Say "Double double animal style" at sign after being greeted
3) Enjoy

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/405420879_1cd309e2d9.jpg

Good call Kelly! By the way, have you been here yet??

Torrance Bikini Coffee Shop! http://www.bikini-espresso.com/

ucla695
08-14-2009, 06:38 PM

...And a nice stick in the mouth...

I like your style!! :tu

ucla695
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I still like it that way better. :D

Dude, we're all over this. Beats the Korean BBQ taco truck hands down!! :tu :tu

Good call Kelly! By the way, have you been here yet??

Torrance Bikini Coffee Shop! http://www.bikini-espresso.com/

Dang! Now I have to try to explain this to the MRS. :r

Chris.
08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
take my ground beef or chuck or whatever I feel like making them out of and beat them in my hands for about a minute, forming a ball and making sure it's all mashed together well, then flatten it out a bit on a plate. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on each side on the first turn as it cooks. If you cook it until you see white juices coming out, it's OVER done. Some nice clear juice is just right IMO.:tu:dr

1badhog07
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Im with vin,i use a egg in mine,some lemon pepper,and (tony chachere)creole seasoning...dice up some onions and mix all in..

The Poet
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
As usual, some great advise here, to which I cannot add. But lemme share a story I just heard. There's a small 4-star French/American restaurant here in town with - of course - a great chef in charge. The spot next to him closed, so he decided to expand, making a top-notch burger joint out of it. It has taken him 6 months of experiments to come up with his patty.

In simple words - "perfect" ain't easy. Were it, everything would be thus.

SteveDMatt
10-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I did forget about how much I enjoy the Eddie Murphy burger. Green pepper and onions hanging out of it, and on white bread of course. Much better than McDonalds.

jwfish81
10-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I used to always have trouble keeping my burgers from falling apart; I tried egg, ranch and crackers, breadcrumbs, whatever, they still fell apart. Then a friend taught me to take the hamburger, and roll it around into a ball for about a minute, then press into patties. They have never broken apart again.

I like to use A-1, worchestershire sauce, ranch, onion soup mix, Applewood Smoked Sea Salt, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, parsley, minced garlic, shredded cheese!