PDA

View Full Version : Cu-Avana Intenso

Bruzee
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Cu-Avana Intenso Robusto

I bought a box of these from C.I. the night before SCHIP was to take effect, without even trying one. I took a chance that this would be a good, but cheap smoke. They have sat in my Vinotemp since they arrived, 65%/70*f.

It is a very attractive cigar, from overall look right down to the black and gold band. The Intenso has a dark Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper with an oily sheen to it. The wrapper appears flawless, and appears very well constructed. Here are the specs on this stick:

Origin: Nicaragua (Made by Nestor Placencia)
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Filler: Nicaragua/Panama Ligero
Size: Robusto 5”X50
Price: ~$3.00 @ $59.95/Box of 20
Smoking time: ~80 minutes

I clipped the cap with my Palio and found the pre-light draw was a little loose for my taste, but just fine nonetheless. I toasted the foot with my Ronson Jet Light, and had no issues at all. I am welcomed by a lot of flavor and lots of smoke. A very full, spice beginning, mellows a bit after a couple minutes.

After I lit ‘er up, the loose draw I noted before seemed to tighten just enough. The draw now was perfect, and I didn’t expect that. I noted some earth type flavors, still dense and very much full bodied. Call me crazy, but I tasted some coffee & coco type undertones. The first third was slow burning and very satisfying. To this point I’m thinking to myself that I really like this stick. But, I wait to make a final determination, as there is still a lot of smoking to do.

The second third was much of the same, as this was turning out to be a very consistent stick. After the initial blast after lighting, the Intenso settled into its rhythm. The ash hung on for half of the cigar before falling off. I’m not passing judgment just yet, as I still have the back third to evaluate.

The last third intensified just a bit, but stay very consistent at the same time. (I hope that makes sense.) The burn is razor sharp, needing very little assistance. It is still putting out plenty of smoke, and tastes great to the nub. I really don’t have anything negative to say about it. It is a very attractive cigar, well constructed, and very tasty. I haven’t found any down side at this point.

Even though I have an entire box of these, and I wanted them to be great, I would have absolutely no problem bashing them if need be. I could easily write off another not-so-popular cigar and never look back if my opinion called for it. But I’ve got to tell you, I think this one is a winner. I’m not going to declare it champion until I’ve smoked several more, but I am hopeful. I highly recommend that anyone that enjoys a full bodied dark Nicaraguan give this a try. For about $3 a stick, how could you go wrong? Sorry I got so winded during this review. I hope you enjoyed it, and I added some pics to help the story along. Thanks for reading!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/dbruzee/Intenso1.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/dbruzee/Intenso2.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/dbruzee/Intenso3.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/dbruzee/Intenso4.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee250/dbruzee/Intenso5.jpg

G G
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I kinda was curious about these. Thanks for the great review, i'll have t get me some.:tu

tuxpuff
05-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Great review and pics! I'll have to check these out...thanks!

Rockestone
05-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Very nice review! I'm definitely going to try this one.:tu

Homebrewer
05-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Great review. Thanks.

scooter
05-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the review and pictures. I will have to try this stick.

Bruzee
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I kinda was curious about these. Thanks for the great review, i'll have t get me some.:tu

Great review and pics! I'll have to check these out...thanks!

Very nice review! I'm definitely going to try this one.:tu

Send me your addy! :D

MajorCaptSilly
05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I've been eyeing them myself!

MCS

skullnrose
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Great review. Thanks !

groogs
05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice review.:tu

dubnick
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the review!!

I'll have to give 'em a try!!

Smoke Naked
05-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Great review and pics:tu, cigar.com had them as a dailydeal not too long ago, so they should come back around again hopefully

Starscream
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I've been eyeing them myself!

MCS

:tpd:

MajorCaptSilly
07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Just smoked a torp. They are very good for the price.

MCS

MajorCaptSilly
07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I aslo got the coffee and cocoa. It was very good.

MCS

Starscream
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I just won a fiver of these off of Cbid. Hope they live up to your review.

kelmac07
10-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the review. I was gifted one of these a few weeks back and look forward to torching it. :tu

kaisersozei
10-15-2009, 06:22 AM
I think the Cu-Avana line is one of those overlooked brands. I've enjoyed both the Cu-Avana maduro (more complex than I anticipated,) and the Conny (very tasty.) Can't beat them for the price! Haven't tried the Intenso yet, but will sample some after reading your review. Thanks, Dustin, nice job!

dannysguitar
10-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a buddy that really likes these. Next time I see them for cheap I'm gonna give them a try. Also there's a cigar called the ORTSAC that has a foot band and looks similar. I had one on the golf course a while back and I really liked it. The price point is pretty close to the Intenso.

OHRD
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Great post! I am a HUGE fan of the Maduro and Natural, mostly because of the extreme consistency and excellent value. The Intenso is on my list but I haven't tried it yet. For anyone that hasn't given Cu Avana a try you should, in my opinion it is one of the best values out there!

Kreth
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I snagged a 5er of these from cbid, letting them rest a bit before I smoke one. I had read that the maduro and connie were very bland, but I may try some after a few of the comments in this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr B
10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice review and pics, thanks.
I've had a 5er of these sitting for a few months. Thanks for the reminder.

OHRD
10-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I snagged a 5er of these from cbid, letting them rest a bit before I smoke one. I had read that the maduro and connie were very bland, but I may try some after a few of the comments in this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Maduro and Connie are fairly bland and EXTREMELY mild, but they are very consistent, smooth, fairly creamy, and a no-bother smoke. Don't expect normal maduro, full-on sweetness but for the price point I still think it's worth it. I've been waiting to see a sampler w/ all three instead of buying just Intenso but I haven't seen one yet.

The Saint
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Great looking cigar and the price makes it all the better!

Good review too!

kelmac07
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Just torched mine tonight...not bad at all. :tu

yanchula81
12-06-2009, 12:37 AM
http://www.cigar.com/DailyDeal/ccCigarDeals.asp

Just picked some up

roughrider
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Do the Intenso have a decent kick to 'em?

Kreth
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Do the Intenso have a decent kick to 'em?
Yeah, not like a MoW, but pretty nice.
Posted via Mobile Device