PDA

View Full Version : Casa Fuente

Raralith
05-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I recently went to Las Vegas and dropped by the Casa Fuente's store in the Caesar's Palace Forums to pick up a few cigars. Casa Fuente’s house blend has the same binder and filler as regular Opus X blends, but has a Connecticut instead of a regular Rosado wrapper. Here’s a shot of an Opus Perfection #5 and the Casa Fuente Corona Gorda (I believe, orange bottom band removed). While the Opus is in the cellophane, the Opus X has a darker, earthier colored wrapper.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=2094
Pre-light draw of the cigar shows it has a good draw with a slight sweetness. Toasting was quite easy, and an unbelievable amount of smoke came out of this. First impressions were lots of oak and nutty notes with sweetness on the nose exhale. The aftertaste is silky cream that just layers over the mouth like butter on a pan. Working my way toward the second third though, I got hit by a section of harsh cigar flavor; like eating sushi with a chunk of hidden wasabi, choking when it hits the pallet. After a few more puffs the cigar felt like it was biting back at me, and the back of my throat got itchy which is never a good sign. I toughed it out and I am glad I did because a few more puffs later, the terrible taste finally went away, and I sailed home easy with the taste of espresso and dark roasted coffee.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=2095
The cigar’s construction is top notch with a near razor straight burn, and easily draws loads of smoke. I was smoking outside and there was some wind, but even with this, it only ashed once a little bit past this.

Overall, the cigar was nothing special, but for $15 though, it’s a tough sell for me to buy it again because that’s Anejo and Opus X range; the Perfection #5 in the first picture was $15. Flavor, strength and complexity wise comparing it to the Opus X, Anejo, and Ashton VSG (also rolled by Fuente), the Casa Fuente comes out dead last. It goes to show what a good wrapper can do.

bonjing
05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
nice review. I'm looking forward to trying one out when I get down there.

by the way no pictures.

-edit-
I see pictures now

Raralith
05-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I moved my picture album to public, and it seems to be showing now.

theonlybear4CORT
05-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice review :tu and I see the pics .

acarr
05-23-2009, 12:51 AM
I went to the Casa Fuente store in Vegas and really wanted to pick some of these up...but alas, I couldn't see myself paying the kind of money they wanted for anything in that store. It might have been the only time ever that I went into a B&M and didn't purchase anything. They look nice though:D

DougBushBC
05-23-2009, 02:32 AM
I will be in vegas late this summer, and I really want to go to Casa Fuente, but I saw the prices they charge for the sticks they offer, and I just can't see it.

longknocker
05-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Nice Review & Thanks for the Info!:tu

HK3-
05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the review. I was recently at the Casa Fuente and the prices were ridiculous. They do have a lot of cigars and the store is pretty nice.... I left with two boxes of long stick matches for $5 each. This is one company that has a hard on for $. :2

G G
05-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the review.:tu

scooter
05-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the review and information.

groogs
05-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Nice review, I have smoked a few of the Casa Fuente. They were okay, but to me they were not worth the money.

WildBlueSooner
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Nice review...I hope to make it there sometime in the future!

tuxpuff
05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Great review...thanks for the info!

Adriftpanda
05-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice review, I wish I had more.... love these sticks

m69c44
05-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Great review I have two of these resting at the bottom of my box with about two months on them . I might have to spark one up this weekend. :ss

Raralith
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I will be in vegas late this summer, and I really want to go to Casa Fuente, but I saw the prices they charge for the sticks they offer, and I just can't see it.

I probably wouldn't buy any sticks, but I would definately check out the ash trays. I got a nicely crafted 3 finger bowl for $40, and it is definately a good buy in my book.

Bruzee
05-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nice review of a stick I don't have access to. Thanks!

JJG
05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I think part of the reason I really like the CFs is because I don't pay for them. :D My folks love Vegas and go back a few times a year. They stopped asking me what i want as a souvenir and just bring me a handful of Fuentes now.

If I actually did pay the $15-20 per stick, I would probably feel let down. but frankly, I can't think of any time I've paid that much for a smoke and thought it was worth the money.

kelmac07
05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice review...thanks.

RaiderinKS
05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I have one of these from when I went to Vegas last year. I should break it out and smoke it.

Sauer Grapes
05-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I believe the wrapper is actually a Cameroon wrapper and not a connecticut. Anyway, they're nice sticks and I find them the best tasting Cameroon wrapped stick I've had.

thebiglebowski
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
i had one in vegas a few years ago (have a few stashed away as well) and enjoyed it - and reviewed it back at that other place - while playing some blackjack at ceasar's. definately not worth the price point, but when in rome, well, y'know. ;)

Ahbroody
06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Smoking one right now that was gifted to me by a buddy from a recent trip. Its a Corona Gorda. Its good, but not great. The stangest thing about it is it has a pallet coating effect to me.

As for taste it honestly just reminds me of any other fuente outside the opusx which all taste similar. Not bad, steady and consistent. I just keep waiting for the shoe to drop and nearing the last 1/3 it appears this is all its going to do.
When I think of this stick at 15.00-25.00 I just start thinking of what the slope has to offer at that price point. I am thinking of some amazing sticks at under this price point. Hell for even less than this.

If you are a Fuente guy you will definetly like this stick though. OOO this definetly appears to be a cameroon. The wrapper is very inconsistent from one stick to the next. I have never seen a connecticut wrapper this dark before plus the vitolas site lists it as a cameroon, and other sites say its the opusx filler and binder. Isnt that like a sand shark?

Pirate_Boggs
06-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the review im headed to vegas in a few weeks, looking forward to visiting there and enjoying one.

ucla695
06-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I bought a box of CG's back in '06. They're great cigars and you gotta love the Fuente construction! These are definitely not value smokes, but still good. I'd buy a lot more if the price point were cut in half. :2

alley00p
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I bought a box of CG's back in '06. They're great cigars and you gotta love the Fuente construction! These are definitely not value smokes, but still good. I'd buy a lot more if the price point were cut in half. :2

:tpd:

I bought a few of these while in Vegas a few weeks ago for the ELVIS herf. I enjoyed one, sitting in the smoking area outside of the store and drinking a few cappacino's. Plus the Casa Fuente waitress, Vania, made everything taste better!

I realize it is an expensive stick, but this cigar is exclusive to the Casa Fuente store at Caeser's Palace in Vegas. I decided that it was worth it to try one while I was there... you only live once! :D

:dance:

shilala
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I did not know it had a connecticut wrapper.
I've wanted to try these for a long time. Now, not so much.
If I ever go to Vegas, I will definately try one. :tu

Wanger
06-19-2009, 08:48 AM
:tpd:

I bought a few of these while in Vegas a few weeks ago for the ELVIS herf. I enjoyed one, sitting in the smoking area outside of the store and drinking a few cappacino's. Plus the Casa Fuente waitress, Vania, made everything taste better!
I realize it is an expensive stick, but this cigar is exclusive to the Casa Fuente store at Caeser's Palace in Vegas. I decided that it was worth it to try one while I was there... you only live once! :D

:dance:

No argument there, Charlie. I like white! :D

I like these sticks, though I did not pick up any while we were out there. I got some Don Carlos lanceros instead.

Don Fernando
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM

Get the sampler, it's expensive, but hey, as a cigar smoker in Vegas you have to at least smoke a Casa Fuente. I smoked several when I was there and brought the sampler home for reviews.

tchariya
06-19-2009, 01:04 PM
If your up at the tables, go treat yourself to one of their smokes...otherwise...a bit pricey. Good smokes though! And the bar area always staffed with eye candy. Did I mention it was across from the Playboy store?

Wanger
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
If your up at the tables, go treat yourself to one of their smokes...otherwise...a bit pricey. Good smokes though! And the bar area always staffed with eye candy. Did I mention it was across from the Playboy store?

...and diagonal from Victoria's Secret.