PDA

View Full Version : Question: Tip for Carryout?

ActionAndy
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm having an argument with the dizzy broad in the cubicle behind me. I tipped the hostess at the restaurant across the street, even though I picked up the order myself for carryout. I have always tipped for carryout. I do not tip as much as I would had I sat down with a waiter or waitress. The order was a bit over 8 bucks and I gave her a ten and called it even.

Dizzy Broad says she NEVER tips on carry out, no one she knows does, and the restaurant did nothing to deserve my tip.

My argument is that someone answered the phone, took my order, brought it to the kitchen, the kitchen made it, they bagged it with ketchup, napkins, and flatware, then they brought it to me right as I walked in the door.

So what about you guys? Do you tip on carry out? Feel free to answer either way, I won't call you cheap or anything.

kayak_rat
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
McDonalds does the same exact thing....and you dont even have to leave your car.

I do not tip for carryout.

markem
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I think that tipping, despite what some may say, is voluntary. If she wants to forgo a tip, good for her. If you want to tip, good for you.

Arguing about whether or not optional behavior is mandatory isn't a productive activity, in my experience.

WildBlueSooner
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I say if you think what someone has done for you deserves a tip...tip them at your discretion. It is better to over tip than under tip. Just my :2

AriesOpusX
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
When I go to pickup my pizza or whatever I'll throw a buck and change into the guys tip cup. At dunkin donuts if I get a cup of coffee and they hand me some coins back i'll throw them in the cup.

If I'm picking up a at a restaurant and paying with my debit card or something I won't go out of my way to tip them. The tip cups make more sense to me because the money is split between everyone instead of just the cashier you're handing a few bucks to for ringing the order up.

ActionAndy
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Good points everyone. For the record I wasn't implying that one must tip to be a good human being (although I do, in general, find this woman to be very cheap) lol. Personally I have been guilty of over-tipping, just wanted to see what the general consensus was.

ade06
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
For a carry-out order of your size I may or may not tip $1. It just depends on how I feel at that moment, but I feel that the choice for a carry-out to tip is voluntary.

newcigarz
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I'll leave a tip as long as they see me do it.
especially for the calzones at paisanos :rolleyes:

marge796
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I think if the restaurant in question does a good job then yes, a little extra is appreciated. I've never worked in the food service industry but venture to say they work very hard for the money they make. So after my ramblings I agree and do tip for carryout.

:tu

Chris.....

AndyMadera
05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I have no problem with tipping if it is due. Although nowadays its pretty much mandatory or you get BAD service if they remember you anyway... some places even include it in the bill MANDATORY. Tipping originated by people wanting to grab the attention of the host as they were in a hurry, think a little extra money can get you infront of someone else to get your coffee a little faster and back to work you go... Now its just a excuse for employers to pay servers/cooks minimum wage because they can earn MORE in tips if they work their ass off... just my 2 cents.

Andy

ADDED: In the past, I have been to places were they dont pay much attention to me because they dont think im going to tip well or not at all, due to my age or appearences. I didnt always dress so stylish hahaha I tip them anyway and dont come back... Im a 20% tipper

Starscream
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I put nine years into the fast food/pizza industry and I would say that 999 out of 1,000 times that a tip is not given for carryout. Delivery and in-house service, yes; carryout, no. I do not tip for carryout unless they do something special and go out of their way to help me in some fashion. Please tip your delivery people. Most places pay a little for the cost of gas, but it's not enough. Every little bit helps.

St. Lou Stu
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Dizzy Broad says she NEVER tips on carry out, no one she knows does....
She's already wrong. Does she know you?

and the restaurant did nothing to deserve my tip.

Who prepared the food? Was it warm? Was it contained?

My argument is that someone answered the phone, took my order, brought it to the kitchen, the kitchen made it, they bagged it with ketchup, napkins, and flatware, then they brought it to me right as I walked in the door.

So what about you guys? Do you tip on carry out? Feel free to answer either way, I won't call you cheap or anything.

You are most correct sir.
I usually tip 25% for excellent sit down service, 20% for sit down service that is decent, 15% if it is lacking, and 10% for carry-out.

ucla695
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
One thing that gets me these days is the ubiquitous tip jar and people assuming that they're entitled to one. Treat me politely and with good service and I'll gladly leave a tip. Give me attitude with a lackadaisical effort and I won't. :)

spooble
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I tip for carryout on occasion, but never at fastfood joints. One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside. :)

GreekGodX
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
You do whatever you want with a tip especially on a carry out. I don't think they expect a tip so anything would make them happy. Now if you go to a restaurant for carry out and they bring it to your car "curbside" I always tip them. They are providing me a service and I appreciate them so I tip.

St. Lou Stu
05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I tip for carryout on occasion, but never at fastfood joints. One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside. :)

In that case I think the appropriate tip is "Watch out for pebbles, you'll bust yer ass on them skates."

:D j/k

I never tip for fast food.
My dilemma is Starbucks.... the one I frequent moves you through soooo fast that I don't feel that I could hold up the line to add a tip to the card receipt. I never carry cash. I guess I could for a tip for that occasion...but it is the fast food get em in and get em out that is costing the tip in that situation.:2

bonjing
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
for sonic, I think you're supposed to tip them since they bring the food out to you, at least according to my gf. So i tip the car-hop. especially if she's cute :D

in general, for restaurant type take out I leave a tip, more if i frequent the place a lot. For places like starbucks, a buck or the change.

goalie204
05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.gonomad.com/traveldesk/0806/tipping.html

Starscream
05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside. :)

I do tip for carry-out there.

JE3146
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Picked up some takeout last night. The place literally had the food ready in under 2 minutes. Boxed up, ready to go with all the trims. Was a Mexican restaurant. I was going to tip them for such fast service but when he handed me the thing to sign, he crossed off the tip line before he gave it to me and wrote the total on the total line. So I didn't tip lol.

Normally I don't but it was so quick that I felt compelled to throw a buck or two at them.

lightning9191
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I've never tipped for carryout. I tip for delivery though.

yourchoice
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Fastfood/pizza joint/sandwich shop - No tip - except for misc. change if cup is present.

Restaurant that typically serves sit down (Chili's, TGIF, Outback, etc.) - I tip a couple bucks...somewhere around 10%.

Lucky_Hippo
05-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Years ago I used to be a huge way over the top tipper (40% at least), but it eventually came back to bite me in the butt. The pub I used to frequent about 3 times a week hired an awful manager that just couldn't get along with customers. She provided everyone with poor service and an attitude. One day at lunch I paid my $9.50 bill with a ten spot because of her attitude and went on my way. Flash forward to a week later and I'm there with friends. She walks up and throws 50 cents in my direction saying "you keep it".

I heard through the grapevine she'd been counting on my over tipping to help pay her rent and that's the reason she took it so personal.

The owners appologized and let her go a few months later, but I'll never go back, NOR build high expectaions by over tipping at an establishment I frequent any longer.

Tip if you want to. 99% of the time it's just unappreciated and over expected. If you feel you've been provided with a service that is above and beyond the price of the meal by all means tip to your hearts content, but don't ever feel guilty just because someone expects a tip. Tips are not required, they're earned.

:2