PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Rabbi!!

Pages : [1] 2

Emjaysmash
05-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey everyone,
The Rabbi (TomHagen) has graciously agreed to my new idea-thread of "Ask The Rabbi". Anyone may post any question they have ever wanted to ask a Rabbi, and the Rabbi will then answer it. If there are those who wish to ask anonymously, you can PM myself or TomHagen. Please specify if you would like your question and answer to remain off the thread.

My hope is to create an enjoyable thread both enlightening and fun.

So, have at it! Post your questions below!

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm in... ask away!!

sodomanaz
05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok. I'm already circumcised. If I decided I wanted to pursue the Jewish faith, does that give me an in?

sodomanaz
05-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I have seen on TV that you need to read from the Torah (I think that's what it was) and stand on one foot to absorb the material. What if you don't have legs?

adampc22
05-17-2009, 11:26 PM
is pepsi better than coke ? and can i eat the mushrooms i found in my garden ?

sodomanaz
05-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Pepsi Throwback already answered this question, at least in the US.

sodomanaz
05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Can you explain the whole Pork and Milk thing? I was watching Kenny VS Spenny, and that came up as the worst thing a Jewish person could do; drink milk while eating pork.

adampc22
05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Pepsi Throwback already answered this question, at least in the US.

i was asking the rabbi :fu

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Ok. I'm already circumcised. If I decided I wanted to pursue the Jewish faith, does that give me an in?

Being circumsized does not give you "an in"...

A Jew is defined by the Torah, the five-books of Moses, as being born to a Jewish mother, who was in turn born to a Jewish mother etc.

Judaism does NOT seek to convert people.
But those, at their own initiative, who do wish to convert to Judaism (aka "pursue the Jewish faith") can do so through a competant Torah-observant Rabbi in accordance with Jewish Law.

One does not have to become Jewish to fulfll their role and access G-d.
Non-Jews have a tremendously vital role in G-d's creation, by fulfilling the
7 Noahide Laws. (for more info http://www.noahide.org/)

1. BELIEF IN G-D
Do not worship Idols
2. RESPECT G-D AND PRAISE HIM
Do Not Blaspheme His Name
3. RESPECT HUMAN LIFE
Do Not Murder
4. RESPECT THE FAMILY
Do Not Commit Immoral Sexual Acts
5. RESPECT FOR OTHERS’ RIGHTS AND PROPERTY
Do Not Steal
6. CREATION OF A JUDICIAL SYSTEM
Pursue Justice
7. RESPECT ALL CREATURES
Do not be cruel to animals.

Hope this helps.

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Coke is better, IMHO. No don't eat the mushrooms you found in your garden, you should have eaten the ones in my basement in college. :dance:

adampc22
05-17-2009, 11:36 PM
dont blame it on the sunshine dont blame it on the moonlight dont blame it on the good times blame it on the boogie ?

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I have seen on TV that you need to read from the Torah (I think that's what it was) and stand on one foot to absorb the material. What if you don't have legs?

No idea what you are talking about... could you be referring to this?

A gentile once came to Shammai, and wanted to convert to Judaism. But he insisted on learning the whole Torah while standing on one foot. Shammai rejected him, so he went to Hillel, who taught him: "What you dislike, do not do to your friend. That is the basis of the Torah. The rest is commentary; go and learn!"

"on one foot" being obviously a aphorism...

unless, "New legs Lt. Dan!!", Forest Gump

ps. what TV tells one about Judaism is often inaccurate.

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:42 PM
dont blame it on the sunshine dont blame it on the moonlight dont blame it on the good times blame it on the boogie ?

Don't blame the boogie either!! "Blame it on the rain" - Milli Vanilli:hf

adampc22
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Can you explain the whole Pork and Milk thing? I was watching Kenny VS Spenny, and that came up as the worst thing a Jewish person could do; drink milk while eating pork.

They are two different prohibitions, which are prohibited for Jews only.
1) Don't eat milk and meat (wait 6 hrs from meat to milk, and wait 1 hr from milk to meat)
2) Don't eat non-kosher animals. Kosher animals must chew their cud and have split hooves (cows, goats, deer, giraffe, lamb, bison, oxen etc. - ok) (pig, horse, dog, rodents, duck-billed platapus - NOT ok)

(actually, drinking milk while eating pork is only one trangression - eating the pork. As long as the milk is from a kosher animal, all milk is cool to drink, just not a long with kosher meat.)

TomHagen
05-17-2009, 11:49 PM
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?

The following errors occurred with your submission:
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.

pnoon
05-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Nice review.

adampc22
05-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Nice review.

eh ??????????????????????????????

bigloo
05-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Why wont my mother let me marry a non-Jewish girl or is this something I would only understand when I had a child myself?

:)

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Why wont my mother let me marry a non-Jewish girl or is this something I would only understand when I had a child myself?

Oy...

If only we would revere G-d, the same way we revere the word of our Jewish mothers... though to discern the two is kinda hard, especially when she puts her foot down. :D

The Torah says a Jew should only marry a Jew. This is for various reasons. Prepetuation of the Jewish people, culture, religion and customs, to have Jewish kids, conduct Jewish home, it's a Mitzvah and G-d said so, okay etc.

This website http://www.jewishanddating.com/, and the book "Why marry Jewish?", by Doron Kornbluth http://www.doronkornbluth.com/ , are the BEST treatment of the topic.

Having a child oneself really does make the issue hit home...

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Rapid fire!! I like it!! I'm going to shluf (sleep)... but keep 'em coming and I'll get them.

BillyCigars
05-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

G G
05-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

adampc22
05-18-2009, 06:04 AM
What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

goalie204
05-18-2009, 07:03 AM
when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

rizzle
05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Oy...

If only we would revere G-d, the same way we revere the word of our Jewish mothers... though to discern the two is kinda hard, especially when she puts her foot down. :D

The Torah says a Jew should only marry a Jew. This is for various reasons. Prepetuation of the Jewish people, culture, religion and customs, to have Jewish kids, conduct Jewish home, it's a Mitzvah and G-d said so, okay etc.

This website http://www.jewishanddating.com/, and the book "Why marry Jewish?", by Doron Kornbluth http://www.doronkornbluth.com/ , are the BEST treatment of the topic.

Having a child oneself really does make the issue hit home...

What's a Mitzvah?

Emjaysmash
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow, this response is awesome!! Keep it up everyone!!

Parshooter
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
(actually, drinking milk while eating pork is only one trangression - eating the pork. As long as the milk is from a kosher animal, all milk is cool to drink, just not a long with kosher meat.)

So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind :dance:

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

Nice question, one that is frequently asked.

Jewish people refrain from calling G-d by His Name. He is alluded to many times in the Torah by different names, each of which only allude to an attribute of G-d. G-d is indefineable by a name, but when we refer to Him through our capacity of speech it should be with the highest reverence. Especially when referring to Him directly. G-t, is yiddish, and german for G-d. G-d is a derivation from that. When one says G-d, or G-t, they are directly referring to G-d, so even though it is not his name, it is a direct reference.

Most observant Jews refer to G-d as HaShem (hebrew), "The Name" or Aibishster (yiddish) "the Most High", thereby referring to G-d in an indirect way, but implicitly referring to Him. In prayer & reading the Torah only, we refer to G-d by His Holy Name(s)

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

Giants Stadium end-zone. Glad you like the thread. Thank MJ.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

I believe that is a 2 part question, which deserves a 2 part answer.

1) I would give you constructive critisicm in a manner in which you can receive it about you singing capabilities.

2) No I wouldn't walk out on you, cause you can only get by with a little help from your friends.

Lending you an ear is very Van Gogh. Thank you for your consideratin in trying NOT to sind out of key.

Any further questions famous musicians have, that you plagiarize as your own questions should be condensed into one post, preferably, and I will get around to them.:D

Hope this helps.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:11 PM
when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

Thanks. We're nationwide, baby!! Zai gezunt and all the best!!

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
What's a Mitzvah?

A Mitzvah is a Commandment from G-d. Jews have 613, non-Jews have 7 (as expounded into 61).

Sometimes used informally to refer to any act of goodness and kindness.

Mitzvah (hebrew) has it's root in the word Tzvazah (hebrew) - meaning connection in Hebrew, so by doing a Mitzvah you are connecting yourself to G-d.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind

No. it is 2, or more, (for a Jew, only). The person would be eating 2 types of non-kosher food. please refer to the distinction made above about the eating of non-kosher animals (vs. milk & meat).

Don Francisco
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Are concubines still permitted?

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Are concubines still permitted?

In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Don Francisco
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Out of shorts?

goalie204
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Out of shorts?

no, I have about 10 Party's left in the Humi.

If you need a more in depth treatment of you question let me know...

nozero
05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

I'll be looking forward to the Rebbe's reply to this one myself. I/we don't keep Kosher and I'm less than a three day a year Jew for many, many years...

Grand concept for a thread Emjay and thanks to you Rebbe for your insightful replies.

csbrewfisher
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Where can I buy kosher ham?

tobii3
05-18-2009, 02:18 PM
The most important question of all...

Is it okay to have sex on the Sabbath?

Is it REALLY considered "work"???......:D

kelmac07
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Why do jewish men wear a yamika to dignify their manhood?

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Where can I buy kosher ham?

Whole Foods and most health food stores carry Tofu or TVP based ham flavored products that may or may not be kosher.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
The most important question of all...

Is it okay to have sex on the Sabbath?

Is it REALLY considered "work"???......:D

It is not only okay, but Friday night is considered an auspicious time. It is said that Talmidei Chochmim - "Sages" or "Great Rabbi's" preferred this time on Shabbos to all others. This also according to Kabbalah - Jewish Mysticism.

So no, it is NOT considered work.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Why do jewish men wear a yamika to dignify their manhood?

It has nothing to do with "manhood".

The word Yarmulke is actually a conjunction of two words in hebrew and aramaic "Yirei" and "Malka" - which mean "Awe" and "King" respectively, so wearing a Yarmulke is to keep us aware of G-d.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Firstly, Jews are not to judge other Jews. Only G-d Himself is to judge.

That being said, the Torah, and specifically the mystical tradition of Kabbalah/Chassidus teach that every Jew is inherently good. If you could look into our "kishkes" - insides, in our soul, you would see that we inately want to do what is right, what HaShem wants.

Even on a more external level, it is said that every Jew is filled with Mitzvahs, like a Pomegranate is filled with seeds. We are constantly doing good, fulfilling G-d's Will consciously or not.

Going to shul etc. is all good, but there are those who do so and are not fulfilling their role in G-d's greater plan. They could be better. Along with those who do very little their entire life, but at one-moment fulfill the purpose of their entire existance. It is just up to us not to wait for this but to "chap arein" - take advantage and seize the moment to strive to be better Jews.

With this in mind, we should constantly be striving to become better, self-actualized Jewish people and simultaneously helping others to attain this as well. Adding Mitzvos, observances, customs, learning more Torah, doing acts of goodness and kindness and contributing to the greater good.

When people ask me point bland "What is a good Jew?", I am wont to answer - one who is better today than yesterday or at least strives to be better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Hatzlocha - Success in all of your endeavors!!

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Nice review.

Which review? The Corona Gorda thread? or the responses?

Either way: Thanks.

ActionAndy
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
What's Jewish Hell like? Catholic hell is pretty serious...

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
What's Jewish Hell like? Catholic hell is pretty serious...

There is no such thing as "hell" in Judaism.

The concept where "hell" might have been derived from is the existance of "Gehinom".

Gehinom is where the soul goes after it leaves the body in order to clease it from any negativity attached to it through misdeeds etc. It's kinda like a spiritual washing machine. necessary, painful, but leaves you feeling oh, so good. The truly righteous can supercede this refinement, and "worst of the worst" can remain there for only as long as 11 months. After this sort of "purgatory"(I use the term loosely) the soul ascends to Gan Eden where it basks in the light of the G-d's Torah on what ever level the soul can receive it.

Judaism in inherently different from other religions, in this regard, among others. The purpose is not to go to Heaven (or Hell), but rather the focal point of Torah is to make THIS WORLD better, and a dwelling place for G-d.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Whoa!! You guys are keeping your foot on the gas... some good, tough questions. Keep 'em coming.

But, how about some easier ones like
"Whatcha smokin' Rabs?":D

good stuff

Tio Gato
05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow Rabbi, as a "Bad Catholic" I really hope there is no hell. Maybe there's hope for me after all.;)

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow Rabbi, as a "Bad Catholic" I really hope there is no hell. Maybe there's hope for me after all.;)

Just keep doing acts of goodness and kindness, and check out the noahide laws above or here; www.noahide.org. This is guaranteed for success!!

quote:
The Seven Laws of Noah demonstrate that almighty G-d has rules and laws for all human beings ...and that G-d loves us all. He does not leave anyone, Jew or non-Jew without guidance. To the non-Jew He has given the Seven Commandments.

Maimonides states "Whoever among the Nations fulfills the Seven Commandments to serve God belongs to the Righteous among the Nations, and has his share in the World to Come.".

Bruins Fan
05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey Rabs, is it true a Rabbi, coined the phrase
( it wont be long now ) :D

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey Rabs, is it true a Rabbi, coined the phrase
( it wont be long now ) :D

No. It was a Mohel.

Go Sox.

Stog-a-Boy
05-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Can I get a tattoo?

I never will, but just asking since i've heard a few different answers.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Can I get a tattoo?

I never will, but just asking since i've heard a few different answers.

No. Your body is not yours to do with what you want, but rather it is on loan to your Soul, by G-d.

nozero
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
No. It was a Mohel.

Go Sox.

Wisdom mit a bissel humor. I love it!
:tu

For what it's worth Rabbi, you make me want to be a better Jew.

MithShrike
05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Rabbi,

Perhaps you can enlighten me on a religious point. I have studied as much as I can find at the used book store and the library which isn't nearly as much as I wish. My background is Christian, Baha'i, and now a cynical agnostic. My question is about the nature of Satan. From what I've read, the duality of good and evil was greatly changed once the Jewish nation came in contact with Zoroastrians in their exile in Babylon. From what little I have read, Satan was Ha-Satan or the greatest servant of G-d and tested the servants of G-d. He was not a diametrically opposed being of once angelic origins. The story of Job makes a lot more sense to me when I heard about this context. For some reason there is a... misconception or evolution of the character of Satan from greatest servant to diametrically opposed evil incarnate a la Zoroastrian Angra Mainyu at least in the modern Christian view of Satan. Is there a fall of Satan in pre-Babylon writings?

ade06
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Is it offensive for a non-jew to refer to a jew as a jew (in a non-deroggatory manner)?

ade06
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Can a non-circumsized man become jewish without becoming circumsized?

GolfNut
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Whoa!! You guys are keeping your foot on the gas... some good, tough questions. Keep 'em coming.

But, how about some easier ones like
"Whatcha smokin' Rabs?":D

good stuff

OK,
Whatcha Smokin Rab's?! :)

Seriously though, nice thread. I too have learned from it.

(Lew, you are too much, but I already knew that!)

ade06
05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Do jews ever remorsefully discuss Jesus' death?

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Wisdom mit a bissel humor. I love it!

For what it's worth Rabbi, you make me want to be a better Jew.

Baruch HaShem. That's the goal.

It does my heart good.

ade06
05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Ok here is a gimmi, are cigars purchased from B and M's better than cigars purchased from on-line stores?

M1903A1
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Is there such a thing as "too much garlic"?

Parshooter
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Matzoh balls: hard or soft?

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Matzoh balls: hard or soft?

I used to be a hard matzoh ball fan, but when I got married I saw the advantage of light & fluffy... now we just go with whatever comes out, as my wife's matzoh balls rock!!

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Is there such a thing as "too much garlic"?

no.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Ok here is a gimmi, are cigars purchased from B and M's better than cigars purchased from on-line stores?

What's the question - of course!!:r

Does B&M stand for bowel movement?! Jewish mothers have to make sure you are regular.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM

no.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
OK,
Whatcha Smokin Rab's?! :)

Seriously though, nice thread. I too have learned from it.

(Lew, you are too much, but I already knew that!)

Good stuff! Learning is the point!

Just went on a CC kick with a box-split of RASCC and H.Upmann Coronas Major - (cheaper stuff 'cause of my high Rabbi income:rolleyes:) that are delicious. I am really impressed with both ROTT.

I really, really love Illusione MK's right now. I also like NHC house blend londsdales. Last week, I had a Tat Cojonu 2009 that was great and a eo601 Mi Barrio that was nice, thick smoke. I want to get my hands on some more Esencia cigars, as I really liked the 2 I had a while ago.

I am slowly growing away from Padron's and even many DPG's that taste very similiar. I am kind of really getting into specific cigars, rather that tasting what is new out there, as I have been a little disappointed and strapped for cash, but I always cycle back.
I want to try some different CC marcas that I have never had SCdlH, Cuaba and some H.Upmann.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Can a non-circumsized man become jewish without becoming circumsized?

I don't believe so.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Is it offensive for a non-jew to refer to a jew as a jew (in a non-deroggatory manner)?

Not necessarily. Jewish is fine. Anything non-derrogatory hopefully shouldn't/wouldn't be considered degrading.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Rabbi,

Perhaps you can enlighten me on a religious point. I have studied as much as I can find at the used book store and the library which isn't nearly as much as I wish. My background is Christian, Baha'i, and now a cynical agnostic. My question is about the nature of Satan. From what I've read, the duality of good and evil was greatly changed once the Jewish nation came in contact with Zoroastrians in their exile in Babylon. From what little I have read, Satan was Ha-Satan or the greatest servant of G-d and tested the servants of G-d. He was not a diametrically opposed being of once angelic origins. The story of Job makes a lot more sense to me when I heard about this context. For some reason there is a... misconception or evolution of the character of Satan from greatest servant to diametrically opposed evil incarnate a la Zoroastrian Angra Mainyu at least in the modern Christian view of Satan. Is there a fall of Satan in pre-Babylon writings?

Sounds like you have been reading Harold Bloom... not that that is a bad thing.

The scenario you portrayed about "Satan's fall" is not something discussed in any Torah-true Jewish text that I have come across, mystical or otherwise. HaSoton (with an 'uh' not an 'ay' as it is pronounced in hebrew) is merely the name for the evil inclination that resides within a person, which they must overcome and transform to do good.

Great story...

When G-d was creating the world and He created the evil inclination (aforementioned) He had to come up with a name. So first G-d called him the "yetzer horah" - evil inclination. He came back to G-d and said no one will listen to me if I am called that, who wants to really do EVIL - Rah? So G-d sent him back with the name "soton" - that didn't work either, they all new it was a negative proper name. uh-uh they said. So G-d called him the "nefesh habahamis" - the animal soul. But still he came back saying no one wanted to associate with him because they are people, not animals, why get involved with something below us. Then he was called the "sitra achra" - the other side, Oy! who wants to be on the "other side", I want to be on the right side!! So this went on and on until he got the name "Yesh" - literally to exist, but meaning ego. He said "Aha!" - this is a good name I can trick people into doing wrong with, everyone wants to exist and be validated and hold themselves as independent (especially from G-d). People will say "I AM SOMETHING" and their ego and self-aggrandizement will lead them astray, and so it was...

We can't see ourselves a independent from G-d or immediately we fall down the slippery slope.

ActionAndy
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I know the Catholics have come to declare that extraterrestrial life would not interfere with the Catholic faith. That is, the Pope has said that he sees nothing wrong with the theory that life (intelligent as well) exists on other planets...How do jews feel about aliens?

Rad thread by the way.

M1903A1
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
everyone wants to exist and be validated and hold themselves as independent (especially from G-d). People will say "I AM SOMETHING" and their ego and self-aggrandizement will lead them astray, and so it was...

"Men make plans...G-d laughs."

We can't see ourselves a independent from G-d or immediately we fall down the slippery slope.

Not to be confused with "THAT" slope...right? :confused::D

ade06
05-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I know the Catholics have come to declare that extraterrestrial life would not interfere with the Catholic faith. That is, the Pope has said that he sees nothing wrong with the theory that life (intelligent as well) exists on other planets...How do jews feel about aliens?

Rad thread by the way.

:tpd:

Thanks for the thread. You rock! Also, what is your position on ghosts?

ehdg
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Rabbi,

TKs so much for doing this for us. I'm finding this some very interesting reading and very informative also. Here's my simple question.

My daughter is just over 2 now and for family reasons that I don't need to get into here we to this point haven't done a baby naming for her. Is this a problem or will it be a problem later when we enroll her in Hebrew school and look to have a Bat Mitzvah for her?

Tks so much.

Emjaysmash
05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow...Great Response!! Keep it up!

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Rad thread by the way.

Thanks brotha.

The discovery of ETs would pose no more of a threat to Judaism than would the discovery of a new species of rabbit.

It would be limiting G-d's power to say that He could not have placed life on other planets. In fact, there is a reference in the biblical Book of Judges (5:23) to an inhabited place called Maroz, which the Talmud identifies as a star.

But Jewish thought has always believed that the most weird and wonderful creatures are to be found right here on earth. We can explore the remotest extremities of space but still remain alien to our own humanity. The real secrets of the universe lie hidden in the depths of the human soul.

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
"Men make plans...G-d laughs."

True.

Not to be confused with "THAT" slope...right? :confused::D

:D

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the thread. You rock! Also, what is your position on ghosts?

Yes, I do.

There is/was a concept called a "dybbuk" in certain Jewish literature and mystical texts. This might or might not be the equivalent of what is commonly referred to as ghosts.

Do souls sometimes stick around? Yes. Is in the conventional way of a "ghost"? Kinda, Sorta, Maybe. Mystical Judaism is rife with even much more mind-blowing concepts than "ghosts". I guess, define "ghost"...

adampc22
05-18-2009, 10:49 PM
my x gf has asked me to pay for a boob job for her and its to make them smaller not bigger should i say no nicley to her or call her a insane wench and say there is no way i will pay for a boob job ?

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Rabbi,

TKs so much for doing this for us. I'm finding this some very interesting reading and very informative also. Here's my simple question.

My daughter is just over 2 now and for family reasons that I don't need to get into here we to this point haven't done a baby naming for her. Is this a problem or will it be a problem later when we enroll her in Hebrew school and look to have a Bat Mitzvah for her?

Tks so much.

My daughter is also just over 2, as well. Good stuff!!

A Jewish child can be named at any point in their life. In fact, my wife's grandmother was named in her 80's. For a girl, she should be named over the Torah in Shul, a very simple, meaningful prayer is said and BAM! she's got a Jewish name. This should be done at the most immediate Torah reading after her birth. The Torah is read in synogogue ever Mon, Thurs and Shabbos AM. One usually has a small kiddush in her honor on Shabbos. It is never to late, do it ASAP. If you need any further help with this let me know. If you need help with a name, place to go etc. or I could even do the prayer for you...

(side note: Boys are named at their Bris, hopefully on the eigth day after they are born)

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
my x gf has asked me to pay for a boob job for her and its to make them smaller not bigger should i say no nicley to her or call her a insane wench and say there is no way i will pay for a boob job ?

Is it a health issue?

adampc22
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Is it a health issue?

no she just thinks thay are 2 big and thay anoy her when she wants to play tennis and so on

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 11:00 PM
no she just thinks thay are 2 big and thay anoy her when she wants to play tennis and so on

Maybe she should play racketball, where the racket is smaller.

or squash, or badminton, or paddle ball with one of those weird solid wood rackets and the little hard plastic ball on the beach.

adampc22
05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
lol but shoud i say no niceley or say no way behatch

TomHagen
05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Always be nice.

adampc22's engaging questions have begun to put the Rabbi to sleep for the evening...

Gut Nacht! Lilah Tov! Gooood Night!

adampc22
05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
good night sir

ehdg
05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
My daughter is also just over 2, as well. Good stuff!!

A Jewish child can be named at any point in their life. In fact, my wife's grandmother was named in her 80's. For a girl, she should be named over the Torah in Shul, a very simple, meaningful prayer is said and BAM! she's got a Jewish name. This should be done at the most immediate Torah reading after her birth. The Torah is read in synogogue ever Mon, Thurs and Shabbos AM. One usually has a small kiddush in her honor on Shabbos. It is never to late, do it ASAP. If you need any further help with this let me know. If you need help with a name, place to go etc. or I could even do the prayer for you...

(side note: Boys are named at their Bris, hopefully on the eigth day after they are born)

Most of this I'm well aware of but thanks for your advise. One question though I always thought, but could be remembering wrong isn't the Torah also taken out and read from on Sunday's with typhillon (sp?)? I could have sworn when I was young they took the Torah out Sunday mornings when I used to go with my dad and then have breakfast afterwards there.

smokin5
05-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm surprised noone has asked this yet, so I'll pose it:

Is there a brucha (blessing or "grace" for those who don't know) you say before lighting a cigar? What is it?

And do I really have to smoke 8 cigars on the last night of Hanukkah?:ss

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Most of this I'm well aware of but thanks for your advise. One question though I always thought, but could be remembering wrong isn't the Torah also taken out and read from on Sunday's with typhillon (sp?)? I could have sworn when I was young they took the Torah out Sunday mornings when I used to go with my dad and then have breakfast afterwards there.

The Torah scroll is ONLY taken out and read on Monday, Thursday and Shabbos (and on Festivals, First Day of Jewish Month, and Fast Days). Tefillin are worn by men every morning, except Shabbos and Festivals.
a great Mitzvah indeed!!

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm surprised noone has asked this yet, so I'll pose it:

Is there a brucha (blessing or "grace" for those who don't know) you say before lighting a cigar? What is it?

And do I really have to smoke 8 cigars on the last night of Hanukkah?:ss

Sorry, there is no Brocha - Blessing over smoking cigars. But utilizing them for good, as many of us do, in aiding relaxation, clarity of mind, forming social bonds etc. is all good.

No you don't have to smoke 8 cigars on the last night of Chanukah, but u can bomb someone with 8 cigars! ;)

kelmac07
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Keeping the Rabbi busy!!!!! Just checkin to see if you are doing okay today?

ActionAndy
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks brotha.

The discovery of ETs would pose no more of a threat to Judaism than would the discovery of a new species of rabbit.

It would be limiting G-d's power to say that He could not have placed life on other planets. In fact, there is a reference in the biblical Book of Judges (5:23) to an inhabited place called Maroz, which the Talmud identifies as a star.

But Jewish thought has always believed that the most weird and wonderful creatures are to be found right here on earth. We can explore the remotest extremities of space but still remain alien to our own humanity. The real secrets of the universe lie hidden in the depths of the human soul.

I looked into this and not only is this Maroz place inhabited, but its people are cursed. That's pretty neat.

ade06
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, I do.

There is/was a concept called a "dybbuk" in certain Jewish literature and mystical texts. This might or might not be the equivalent of what is commonly referred to as ghosts.

Do souls sometimes stick around? Yes. Is in the conventional way of a "ghost"? Kinda, Sorta, Maybe. Mystical Judaism is rife with even much more mind-blowing concepts than "ghosts". I guess, define "ghost"...

I think you did a good job answering the question, but I the ghost I was refering to can be defined as "The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats."

htown
05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Is it kosher to eat Bacos?

Tio Gato
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello Rabbi, I hope you are well.

When I was studying to be a chef I had many lessons in "Food Safety".
One of my chef instructors mentioned that many dietary laws from different religions are based on what is safe to eat and what is not. (Considering the days of little science and no refrigeration.)

My question is, when people ask you why something is or is not Kosher and how did these things get that way, is there a resource you direct them too? Perhaps a website or book that explains why. (Such as no shellfish, because we know shellfish from contaminated water can kill you.)

As a chef and a fat man that loves food, the Kosher dietary laws have always fascinated me. I hope you can point me in the right direction as to the why.

Thank you so much.:)

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Keeping the Rabbi busy!!!!! Just checkin to see if you are doing okay today?

Baruch HaShem!! Been a little under the weather all week, so not so much cigar smoking. I have been making some contacts for fundraising for my new project, so that is good.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I think you did a good job answering the question, but I the ghost I was refering to can be defined as "The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats."

Then, yes, there can be to quote you: "the spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons...", many very righteous people see their ancestors in this way and this is deemed positive, while it can be frightening/awe inspiring.

Everything except for the 'haunt' part. That is more like the aforementioned 'dybukk', which is much different, where a soul would possess a person, G-d forbid. This rarely happens.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Is it kosher to eat Bacos?

Yes. They usually have a hecksher (a Jewish symbol of Kosher certification), so if they have that, it is okay.

ActionAndy
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Then, yes, there can be to quote you: "the spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons...", many very righteous people see their ancestors in this way and this is deemed positive, while it can be frightening/awe inspiring.

Everything except for the 'haunt' part. That is more like the aforementioned 'dybukk', which is much different, where a soul would possess a person, G-d forbid. This rarely happens.

So more on possession--Do you have a ritual for exorcisms?

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello Rabbi, I hope you are well.

When I was studying to be a chef I had many lessons in "Food Safety".
One of my chef instructors mentioned that many dietary laws from different religions are based on what is safe to eat and what is not. (Considering the days of little science and no refrigeration.)

My question is, when people ask you why something is or is not Kosher and how did these things get that way, is there a resource you direct them too? Perhaps a website or book that explains why. (Such as no shellfish, because we know shellfish from contaminated water can kill you.)

As a chef and a fat man that loves food, the Kosher dietary laws have always fascinated me. I hope you can point me in the right direction as to the why.

Thank you so much.:)

Firstly, let us not confuse human rationalization for the existance of Kosher dietary laws (or any other G-d given Law in the Torah), with the true reason the law was given. The Laws of the Torah were given by G-d to the Jewish people to observe because they are His Will, certain laws we can understand perfectly (aka "Don't Steal", "Don't Kill" etc.), others we can kinda understand (keep Shabbos - a day of rest), still others we have no logistical explanation according to human logic, we only know the spiritual ramifications. Kosher laws really fall into the last category. So we need to be careful when trying to come up with human rationalizations for Divine commandments. So there might not be a "Why?"...

ahhhhhhhhh... that being said a good place to start is probably here:http://http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/aid/113424/jewish/Kosher.htm and this book might be the best in english for Kosher laws
The Laws Of Kashrus
A comprehensive exposition of their underlying concepts and application
By Rabbi Binyomin Forst

and the best Kosher cookbook is

Spice and Spirit: The Complete Kosher Jewish Cookbook (A Kosher living classic) Esther Blau

Hope this helps.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:45 PM
So more on possession--Do you have a ritual for exorcisms?

No. Only truly righteous Rabbi's - Tzaddikim have healed those afflicted with a dybukk. Since the learning of the Chassidus of the Baal Shem Tov has truly permeated the world, many negative forces have been nullified, so these instances rarely, if ever, occur anymore.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I would like to post an anonymous question...

Rabbi -

I have seen you have been extremely busy answering everyone's questions and you do a great job of answering every single one so here is mine:

What is your address?

I would like to send you a special bomb of my favorite cigar that tastes like 7-year old Madagascar vanilla and some ol' Cuban Davidoff I just happen to have lying around...

j/k:fu

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
we are on page 6 with 100 plus posts already...

:bx

keep 'em comin'

Emjaysmash
05-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I would like to post an anonymous question...

Rabbi -

I have seen you have been extremely busy answering everyone's questions and you do a great job of answering every single one so here is mine:

What is your address?

I would like to send you a special bomb of my favorite cigar that tastes like 7-year old Madagascar vanilla and some ol' Cuban Davidoff I just happen to have lying around...

j/k:fu

Ahem...I have it.... :D Only in the interest of showing our appreciation to a fabulous teacher!!!

we are on page 6 with 100 plus posts already...

:bx

keep 'em comin'

This is great! I know we have more questions to ask!!!

wrench turner 85
05-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I got a question Rabbi, "How far is heaven"

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM

in the words of the hairband Warrant:

"Heaven isn't too far away, it gets closer to me every day, no matter what your friends might say, we'll find our way"

or

500 spiritual years to the first firmament

blugill
05-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Do the Jewish have an eschatology similar to Christian eschatology?

wrench turner 85
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM

in the words of the hairband Warrant:

"Heaven isn't too far away, it gets closer to me every day, no matter what your friends might say, we'll find our way"

or

500 spiritual years to the first firmament

Maybe the Los lonely boys need to read the words of the wise Rabbi>:ss

M1903A1
05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Who/what was Moloch?

AllOGistics
05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
First, this is a great thread Rabbi! I have been gone for a week; this is the first thread I've caught up on.

I was reading an interview and the interviewee is Jewish. They kept referring to zedeka (sp?). I'm sure that I didn't spell that right, and I think that there was a "T" in there somewhere. From the context, it sounded like the word refers to charity or PIF. Is this correct? Sorry again for the spelling errors.

Starscream
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Question sent via pm

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe the Los lonely boys need to read the words of the wise Rabbi>:ss

Perhaps.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Do the Jewish have an eschatology similar to Christian eschatology?

Yes there is phrophesy about the ''end of days", and No it is not similiar.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Who/what was Moloch?

A Moloch is the term in hebrew for an Angel. yet, the common concept of Angel is not the same as the Jewish concept of a Moloch (or Malach) angel.

htown
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
How do the concepts differ?

A Moloch is the term in hebrew for an Angel. yet, the common concept of Angel is not the same as the Jewish concept of a Moloch (or Malach) angel.

Starscream
05-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I've searched through the Old Testament and have never found this name: Azrael, the avenging angel. Where does this come from?

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
First, this is a great thread Rabbi! I have been gone for a week; this is the first thread I've caught up on.

I was reading an interview and the interviewee is Jewish. They kept referring to zedeka (sp?). I'm sure that I didn't spell that right, and I think that there was a "T" in there somewhere. From the context, it sounded like the word refers to charity or PIF. Is this correct? Sorry again for the spelling errors.

You are correct. Tzedaka is the word in hebrew for "Charity" or even better translated exactly as "Righteousness" or "Justice" - meaning a righteous act (not in the Bill&Ted sense:))
Tzedakah is more than a Charitable act. It is sharing with others what G-d in His kindness has given us.

Tz is the letter Tzaddi(k) in hebrew, sometimes transliterated as Z, but it makes a tz sound as in "Hertz"

M1903A1
05-19-2009, 09:15 PM

I always thought that Moloch was the name of an Old Testament regional deity that called for some form of child sacrifice by its followers. Or was this a case of a deity being generically referred to as "Moloch", like the deity whose followers were challenged by Elijah was called "Ba'al"?

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
How do the concepts differ?

I can just tell you what a Malach is. A Malach is an almost completely spiritual being, but is not sentient, meaning they have no free will of their own, but rather do G-d's bidding, and are spiritually sationary, in that they don't have bad days and good days, cannot ascend to higher levels or fall down to lower ones but remain within certain parameters, but rather fulfill their task wholeheartedly, without fail, accepting the yoke of Heaven. They do not resemble humans (as they are not physically oriented) and they are spiritually giant awe inspiring beings.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Question sent via pm

noted and will be answered.

Starscream
05-19-2009, 09:32 PM
noted and will be answered.

Thanks.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I've searched through the Old Testament and have never found this name: Azrael, the avenging angel. Where does this come from?

I don't believe this name has source in Judaism. But it is in the Smurfs!:D This can be confused with the Hebrew name Azriel which is a conjunction two words Ozer and Kel, it means G-d will help me.

Starscream
05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't believe this name has source in Judaism. But it is in the Smurfs!:D

:r
There is also a character in the Batman universe by this name. They claim it is a name that came from the Bible, but I've never heard of it or can I find any info on it. Unless it's a Catholic thing that I don't know about, then I don't think it has Christian roots either...

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I always thought that Moloch was the name of an Old Testament regional deity that called for some form of child sacrifice by its followers. Or was this a case of a deity being generically referred to as "Moloch", like the deity whose followers were challenged by Elijah was called "Ba'al"?

Correct. Moloch was an idolotrous cult, like Ba'al.

With transliteration from Hebrew it is sometimes hard to derive the questioner's intended reference. Often the word is spelled VERY differently in Hebrew, but is tranliterated similiarly in English. So I try to go with the most common usage of a term or name.

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:42 PM
:r
There is also a character in the Batman universe by this name. They claim it is a name that came from the Bible, but I've never heard of it or can I find any info on it. Unless it's a Catholic thing that I don't know about, then I don't think it has Christian roots either...

Yes. It is used in Batman too!
:D

I believe it is Islamic in origin.

SmoknTaz
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Great thread, keep up the good work Rabbi! :tu

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Great thread, keep up the good work Rabbi! :tu

Thanks bro!

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey, check out my Corona Gorda Thread, no questions like "Hey Rabs, why don't we have a Tat Brown CG yet?" :)

or "What kinda screen name is TomHagen for a Rabbi?"

okay, so I loved Robert Duvall's charachter and thought it was cool, relatively anonymous name...
a peace-loving consigliere!

TomHagen
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Good evening! Lila Tov! Gut Nacht! I'm out.

be back tomorrow...

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
all's quiet on the front...

Emjaysmash
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Here's a question: Say a fellow BOTL came to me in the hopes of showing certain special Rav his appreciation. Would it be bad for me to help this mensch out by possibly providing an address? :D

ActionAndy
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Ok so a bit more on angelology. I know Michael was the angel of Israel (or rather, I believe that I have read that, correct me if I'm wrong). Do jews have personal guardian angels?

ehdg
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Ok so a bit more on angelology. I know Michael was the angel of Israel (or rather, I believe that I have read that, correct me if I'm wrong). Do jews have personal guardian angels?

Granted I'm not a Rabbi or play one in real life but I believe for Jews and specially boys/men their guardian angel is their mother's or so they believe, the mothers that is. :r

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Malach Michoel is not necessarily the angel of Israel, just a very, very high level Malach that has been tied to many Jewish events.

No. Jews do not have personal guardian angels. G-d is our only guardian, who neither slumbers, nor sleeps.

Here is a nice piece on "angelology":

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/288087/jewish/The-Angels-and-Us.htm

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Granted I'm not a Rabbi or play one in real life but I believe for Jews and specially boys/men their guardian angel is their mother's or so they believe, the mothers that is. :r

as long as it is not my mother-in-law!!:tg

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Here's a question: Say a fellow BOTL came to me in the hopes of showing certain special Rav his appreciation. Would it be bad for me to help this mensch out by possibly providing an address? :D

I am doin' this pro-bono for my bro's here at CA, so no payment is necessary and I enjoy it!

Yet, tokens of appreciation would be much appreciated. :ss Thanks!!

ehdg
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
as long as it is not my mother-in-law!!:tg

Notice I said mother's not M-I-L. :)

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Notice I said mother's not M-I-L. :)

phew...

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
calling it an early evening? :bx let's go!

seriously, you guys have had some great questions so far!!

smokin5
05-20-2009, 09:20 PM
OK, how about a non-secular question:
What music do you enjoy listening to when enjoying a cigar or otherwise?

Emjaysmash
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Good Question!

If you had to be any animal, what would it be and why?

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 11:05 PM

I think you meant a secular question...

Truth be told, I really don't listen to music when smoking. Usually reading, studying, shmoozing or watching a baseball game.

I was more into music when I was smoking other stuff... :ss

...like cigarettes, c'mon!:D

I worked in the music industry for 4 years and saw perhaps a thousand concerts. Now I mostly listen when driving to Niggunim (google it), Andy Statman and Aaron Razel.

I used to listen to: (no order short list :))

Bob Dylan
Funkadelic
Led Zep
Townes Van Zandt
Frank Zappa
The Band
Tony Rice
Lots of "New"Grass, David Grisman, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall, VassarClements
Grateful Dead
Muddy Waters
John McGlaughlin (& other Jazz Fusion)
Hendrix
Neil Young
Blind Melon
Lakota PowWow Chants
Django Reinhardt
Moby Grape
Tony Bennett
The Black Crowes
Billy Holiday
Ray LaMontagne
Hank Williams
CSN&Y
Sinatra
Old and in the Way
Ben Harper
Brother Iz Kamakawiwoʻole
Tom Waits
Otis Redding
Allman Bros.
I could keep going, but I really was into music, lots a vinyl...

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Good Question!

If you had to be any animal, what would it be and why?

I would have said a bear when I lived on a Native American Resevation, but now I would probably go with a cow or fish.

One of the few foods I don't like is fish. But they just seem so fresh, flexible and natural - kinda tapped in - living and breathing in water and connected to their environment. They strike me almost like vegetation but moving all the time freely.

Cows just seem to chill. But they don't look up, so that kinda stinks.

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Two very fun questions. Nice work gentlemen.

Fishbeadtwo
05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
How about a favorite meal menu? Awesome thread BTW! :)

TomHagen
05-20-2009, 11:45 PM
How about a favorite meal menu? Awesome thread BTW! :)

Another good one!

La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial or Illusione mk (Lighter smoke)
Dirty Vodka (or Sapphire) Martini
Asian Beef Salad
Minestrone Soup
Appetizer:
Eggplant Rollatini (parve:)) or something Mexican/avocado-y
Main Course:
Prime Rib (or Steak au Poivre or Certain cut Delmonico) (w/ a potato and a seasoned grilled tomato)
Wines: Aged Yarden Cabernet or Galil Yiron or Le Connelle
Something Cuban: Bolivar RC or a good Monte#2
Chocolate Ice Cream (parve):) or Dulce de Leche & Cream Cake (parve):)
18 year old Laphroig Single Malt
Something strong & long: Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 or Pardron 1926 #1
a good chair & book

:dr

Adriftpanda
05-21-2009, 01:58 AM
How much do you hate Christians?

shilala
05-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by ade06 http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=387714#post387714)

no.

Has there been any sort of meeting to discuss whether or not you guys are going to try to kill Him again when he returns?

goalie204
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
wow @ the last 2 posts.......

ActionAndy
05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I would have said a bear when I lived on a Native American Resevation, but now I would probably go with a cow or fish.

One of the few foods I don't like is fish. But they just seem so fresh, flexible and natural - kinda tapped in - living and breathing in water and connected to their environment. They strike me almost like vegetation but moving all the time freely.

Cows just seem to chill. But they don't look up, so that kinda stinks.

I always say Sabertooth tiger (smilodon). Usually takes people by surprise and some of them actually try to argue that it's not a vlid choice--as if whatever genie is turning me into an animal is limited by a species being extinct.

http://www.dragonsofpangea.com/images/Saber.jpg

I would spend all day hanging out on a rock, surveying my territory. Then I'd spot something and absolutely rocks its face.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 07:31 AM
How much do you hate Christians?

Not at all.

htown
05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by ade06 http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=387714#post387714)

Has there been any sort of meeting to discuss whether or not you guys are going to try to kill Him again when he returns?

That is the most ****ed up post I've ever read on a cigar board.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM

No.

I was gonna meet with some friends about ordering your beads after our pleasant exchange of PMs, but the operative word is WAS...

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 07:41 AM
wow @ the last 2 posts.......

oy!

is just yo! backwards :)

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I always say Sabertooth tiger (smilodon). Usually takes people by surprise and some of them actually try to argue that it's not a vlid choice--as if whatever genie is turning me into an animal is limited by a species being extinct.

http://www.dragonsofpangea.com/images/Saber.jpg

I would spend all day hanging out on a rock, surveying my territory. Then I'd spot something and absolutely rocks its face.

Cool choice. I just would prefer not to be extinct before I even exist.... ;)

Fishbeadtwo
05-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Here's an early/easy one for ya Rabbbi, is there such a thing as kosher livestock food to make the split hooved animals super kosher and also, is there a special guy who inspects the kosherization process?

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 07:50 AM
That is the most ****ed up post I've ever read on a cigar board.

agreed.
My music and food choices must have gotten to people...
Who'da though Led Zep, Prime Rib and a Padron '26 #1 would be sooo controversial? ;)

68TriShield
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Shilala has been PMed. (so far)

Emjaysmash
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Here's an early/easy one for ya Rabbbi, is there such a thing as kosher livestock food to make the split hooved animals super kosher and also, is there a special guy who inspects the kosherization process?

I'll let the Rabbi answer this, but just to let you know my dad koshers several food businesses including a chocolate factory! Its always fun to come home that day and have boxes (and I'm talking big ones) of chocolate waiting around for everyone.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I'll let the Rabbi answer this, but just to let you know my dad koshers several food businesses including a chocolate factory! Its always fun to come home that day and have boxes (and I'm talking big ones) of chocolate waiting around for everyone.

:dr

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks.

No there is not feed I am aware of, though conspiracy theories abound... :D
(Most kosher butchers make a large portion of profit on selling the animals that are deemed not-kosher for non-kosher meat, as well.)

Yes there is a special guy who inspects "kosherization". He is called a Mashgiach - "Supervisor", he doesn't necessarily have to be a Rabbi, and his duties can vary according to what product he is the kashrus supervisor for. They are found in all Kosher (not Kosher-style) establishments, restaurants, factories, dairy plants, slaughterhouses etc. It can be a pretty intense job and also can pay very well, obviously depending on the situation. I have served as a Mashgiach before (in Hawai'i actually :dance:)

here is a great link on all things Kosher:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/134459/jewish/Handbook.htm

smokin5
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Whoops on the "non-secular" slip! Thanks for the correction.
Maybe I should have written dis-non-secular?:)

OK, let's get this back on track:

I presume from some of your comments that you were not religious for a good chunk of your life, & then experienced a spiritual awakening.
What caused you to embrace Judaism with such fervor?
Where & when did you pursue your rabbinical studies?

Emjaysmash
05-21-2009, 09:26 AM

I presume from some of your comments that you were not religious for a good chunk of your life, & then experienced a spiritual awakening.

Good questions!

JE3146
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Simple question from me... I've just always assumed it was a language thing, but...

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

Why the spelling differences?

shilala
05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
My sincere apologies, Gentlemen.
I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish. We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.
I hadn't immediately imagined I'd offend anyone when I made that post, nor was it my intent. I will admit I thought it might be a bad idea, and that's why I quoted the earlier joking comment. I thought the context and the content would make it obvious it was simply jest..
Had it not been so early, I'm sure I'd have known better. It was certainly not something I should have posted here.
htown, Tom and Dave, I hope you can forgive me. My intent was neither to upset or hurt any of you, but it's obvious I have.

smokin5
05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
No sweat, Shilala -
I have the same problem sometimes with my humor.

That's why they won't let me attend the Zionist Conspiracy Conventions anymore.:ss

nozero
05-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Simple question from me... I've just always assumed it was a language thing, but...

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

I'm going to toss out a guess here, if I may? Transliteration or transcription?
Ive seen even more spelling variations of that word.
;)

htown
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks!

I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish. We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.
I hadn't immediately imagined I'd offend anyone when I made that post, nor was it my intent. I will admit I thought it might be a bad idea, and that's why I quoted the earlier joking comment. I thought the context and the content would make it obvious it was simply jest..
Had it not been so early, I'm sure I'd have known better. It was certainly not something I should have posted here.
htown, Tom and Dave, I hope you can forgive me. My intent was neither to upset or hurt any of you, but it's obvious I have.

goalie204
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
oy!

is just yo! backwards :)

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:05 AM

I would really need an ice-cold bottle of vodka and an 'A' vitola cigar to go into all the details...

But, since you asked, I'll give some background info.

I grew up in a very secular/Reform household. Temple 2-3 times a year, no Kosher, No Shabbos, Nary a Mezuzah etc., didn't know what those things really were, but I grew up in a very warm, thinking, open-minded, moral, caring home. So I had that foundation. As I got older, I guess you could say I became a full-fledged 'hippie', although my environs were the LI suburbs, and eventually I left for college in Ann Arbor, I was kinda able to let my 'freak-flag-fly' and I was totally out there. I worked in the music industry throughout college. Lived a pretty psycedelic existance. I also studied different Cultural Literature extensively in college - Native American, Chinese, Latin American, Tibetan and of course Jewish literature - much of it mystical. I also studied religions and ethnobotany, in addition to my coursework in English Lit and Anthropology. This might be another foundation I built upon. During and after college I was always seeking, exploring, traveling etc. From Native American reservations to the Hawai'in rainforest etc., I was into the supernatural through au naturale. Eventually, I started having more of an awareness of my Jewish identity, meeting random, very diverse Jewish people, still reading etc. and came to the conclusion I needed to check out Judaism and see if I could find a more 'real' 'true' and 'vital' Jewish spirituality then the one I was raised with. After all I was a Jew, so I definitely owed it to myself to try to reconnect to that, in the midst of all of my other explorations. If it was to suit me, satisfy my spritual, intellectual cravings, and be a practical, vital way of life, great, if not, on to the next thing (which was going to be getting a horse and riding the length of S. America starting in Durango, Mexico :r). Alas, I met a whole diverse group of Jewish people from all walks of life at the national Rainbow Gathering in Montana. After I returned from Hawai'i by way of SanFran, I took a stripped and refurbed giant school bus, with wood-burning stove, electrice generator, oven and range top, couches, beds, foutons etc. with 21 friends out from Eugene, OR to the Continental Divide in Montana. There was a "Jerusalem Kitchen", the whole Rainbow is made up of different "kitchens"/camps (Jazz Kitchen, the Texas Kitchen , the blahblahblah kitchen etc... 30,000 people total) where you could find delicious food and every type of Jew you ever could imagine. I was pretty blissed-out and decided to stay in touch with some of the people I had met, learned from, gotten books, did the Shabbos thang, put on Tefillin and thought about going to Israel. Alas it didn;t come to fruition. I had moved back east to NY for family reasons, and two days before I was supposed to leave for Israel, the intifada broke out, and my parents asked me to at least postpone my trip (also, I did not have the understanding then of solidarity with the people living in Israel). So I did. I felt stuck back east, and began exploring different synogogues, you name the Jewish sect, I have been by their temple, or hung out with, learned from them. I met this pretty famous actor in Manhattan, who asked me about my funky hippie, Jewish look, turned out to be interested in his own Jewish background and he gave me his West Village apt. for as long as I wanted. I said great, moved in and began learning Torah part time in Hadar Hatorah yeshivah - the FIRST Yeshiva EVER for Jewish men who are as yet unobservant, with little or no Jewish knowledge. It was started by the Lubavitcher Rebbe in 1962. Why I decided to go there? No, not only because Bob Dylan would go there for a spell often, but after all my searching, I felt (and feel) that Chabad-Lubavitch Chassidus is the deepest, most spirtual and simultaneously real and practical for of Judaism on the face of the earth. I found that they follow Jewish Law 110% without compromise, follow and ACTUALLY LEARN OPENLY, in depth, Jewish mysticism also without compromise (aka Kabbalah (- not Hollywood style)) and do not isolate themselves from the world, but rather constantly engage the world (Jew and Non-Jew) and try to make it a better place. We are accepting of all Jews no matter their level of observance - non-judgemental. After learing in Hadar Hatorah for 2 years, I went to the central Lubavitch yeshiva at 770, world lubavtich hq and began learning for Rabbinical ordination, 2 years later I married my wonderful wife, learned for 1 year more in Kollel (yeshiva for married men) and then went to start a Chabad house on a college campus and taught Judaic studies as a professor there as well. We have 3 kids, B"H. phew... :tu

goalie204
05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
My sister came back from living on a kibbutz one time , and my mom started buying kosher meat. It tastes better than regular meat in the many side by side comparisons i've done. yum :D

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

Very frequent question.
Just a common variance in transliteration, there is no meaning/advantage to one or the other. There is no right or wrong way to transliterate, per se.

The word in hebrew is always spelled and pronounced the same.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
My sister came back from living on a kibbutz one time , and my mom started buying kosher meat. It tastes better than regular meat in the many side by side comparisons i've done. yum :D

My sister also did side by side and Kosher won hands down!!

I say...
Stop with the side by side comparisons - GO KOSHER!!:D

True, Funny story...

I met this guy at a Pesach (Passover) seder, who only eats raw foods, including raw meat:jd. He started keeping Kosher and said the meat was the best! He especially liked meat with the CHK (Crown Heights Beis DIN) heksher.:tu

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm going to toss out a guess here, if I may? Transliteration or transcription?
Ive seen even more spelling variations of that word.
;)
Transcription as a mapping from sound to script must be distinguished from transliteration, which creates a mapping from one script to another that is designed to match the original script as directly as possible.

Transcription is often confused with transliteration, due to a common journalistic practice of mixing elements of both in rendering foreign names. The resulting practical transcription is a hybrid that is called both "transcription" and "transliteration" by the general public.

Emjaysmash
05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Stop with the side by side comparisons - GO KOSHER!!:D

True, Funny story...

I met this guy at a Pesach (Passover) seder, who only eats raw foods, including raw meat:jd. He started keeping Kosher and said the meat was the best! He especially liked meat with the CHK (Crown Heights Beis DIN) heksher.:tu

Lol. here's a question are there any heksher wars, like the "war" between cheese from Wisconsin (far superior, no doubt) and the cheese (if you can call it that) from California?

goalie204
05-21-2009, 10:21 AM
In winnipeg you can't buy kosher meat except frozen now. Omnitsky's closed. Frozen is never as good as fresh imo!

I am definitely not one to keep kosher, but if the meat was not too much more expensive and i could buy it fresh, i would just for the taste.

Incidentally and unrelated, the same sister who now lives in Toronto is pregnant, and her due date is rosh hashanah. :p

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish :confused:. We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.

Dude, that totally came out of leftfield, especially after our previous, very positive, exchanges about your beads (which I would still love to buy, but $ is tight). I can't imagine how anyone could NOT find that post offensive, even in jest.
Nevertheless, we of course forgive you and only look forward to good things.
Staying positive,
Rabs

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
In winnipeg you can't buy kosher meat except frozen now. Omnitsky's closed. Frozen is never as good as fresh imo!

I am definitely not one to keep kosher, but if the meat was not too much more expensive and i could buy it fresh, i would just for the taste.

Incidentally and unrelated, the same sister who now lives in Toronto is pregnant, and her due date is rosh hashanah. :p

B'Shah Tova!! - (in a good, auspicious time!!)

excuses, excuses - Keep it Kosher!!:tu

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Lol. here's a question are there any heksher wars, like the "war" between cheese from Wisconsin (far superior, no doubt) and the cheese (if you can call it that) from California?

It can get political O-U vs. O-K, but nothing to write home about... Cheese fights are much more interesting!

Emjaysmash
05-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Another Question:
Do you listen to any Matisyahu at all?

TanithT
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Under what circumstances would a Jew be permitted to perform their own ritual slaughter of a meat animal? Can you just be your own shochet and do it at home for your family's use?

Also, on the Jews killing Jesus thing.....I thought everyone who'd cracked a book or two knew that was a gross misstatement of the actual political climate of Rome at the time. There just wasn't any other way it could have turned out given the circumstances.

Basically you have a strongly expansionist Empire with the policy of managing subjugated peoples with considerable delicacy and tolerance for their diverse religious beliefs, but zero tolerance for inciting religious (and potentially armed) revolt against Rome. Governing all these far-flung conquered peoples is expensive, and they can't afford to piss off the indigenous people's fundamental beliefs and conservative elders too much, or their budget gets blown putting down too many revolts. Nope, they even build new and shinier temples to the gods of the folks they have conquered and propose to govern, because that's a strategy that works. They really work hard on keeping the conservative elements and the general populace happy. At the same time they have to firmly and swiftly put down any incitements to revolt at an early stage before they get expensive or impossible to manage. That's a delicate tightrope to walk.

Into this mix comes a long haired bearded guy claiming the title of king of the Jews, preaching in the streets, upsetting the conservative folks in the temples and generally formenting discontent and uprising. The Empire's representative (in this case Pontius Pilate) did according to standard policy for dealing with folks who rocked this particular boat. They'd done this before with other cult leaders sowing discontent in the Empire, and they did it again. Because it was this particular cult that survived to dominate the region, we hear rather more about Jesus than about the last dozen guys they nailed to a cross for doing the same thing. But from the perspective of the Roman Empire, at that time, there was no difference. He got whacked for being a rabble-rouser, basically, and that was just what they did to rabble-rousers back then.

So. Jews, not guilty. Roman Empire, guilty, but what they were guilty of was enforcing their own laws and edicts. Whether the laws and edicts of their time were "moral" according to modern standards is highly debatable, but they were the laws of the day. I don't have a moral judgment here, only a historical footnote on the context of that era's political climate.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Another Question:
Do you listen to any Matisyahu at all?

He went to my Yeshiva, I knew him before he was observant right before he came to yeshiva and our families are now very close.

No, I don't listen to him. Ever since I lived with a Rasta in college, I think I have had enough Reggae for one lifetime.

Also, Matis music isn't very good, IMHO.:2 But he has bought some jewish-awareness...

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Under what circumstances would a Jew be permitted to perform their own ritual slaughter of a meat animal? Can you just be your own shochet and do it at home for your family's use?

Also, on the Jews killing Jesus thing.....I thought everyone who'd cracked a book or two knew that was a gross misstatement of the actual political climate of Rome at the time. There just wasn't any other way it could have turned out given the circumstances.

Basically you have a strongly expansionist Empire with the policy of managing subjugated peoples with considerable delicacy and tolerance for their diverse religious beliefs, but zero tolerance for inciting religious (and potentially armed) revolt against Rome. Governing all these far-flung conquered peoples is expensive, and they can't afford to piss off the indigenous people's fundamental beliefs and conservative elders too much, or their budget gets blown putting down too many revolts. Nope, they even build new and shinier temples to the gods of the folks they have conquered and propose to govern, because that's a strategy that works. They really work hard on keeping the conservative elements and the general populace happy. At the same time they have to firmly and swiftly put down any incitements to revolt at an early stage before they get expensive or impossible to manage. That's a delicate tightrope to walk.

Into this mix comes a long haired bearded guy claiming the title of king of the Jews, preaching in the streets, upsetting the conservative folks in the temples and generally formenting discontent and uprising. The Empire's representative (in this case Pontius Pilate) did according to standard policy for dealing with folks who rocked this particular boat. They'd done this before with other cult leaders sowing discontent in the Empire, and they did it again. Because it was this particular cult that survived to dominate the region, we hear rather more about Jesus than about the last dozen guys they nailed to a cross for doing the same thing. But from the perspective of the Roman Empire, at that time, there was no difference. He got whacked for being a rabble-rouser, basically, and that was just what they did to rabble-rousers back then.

So. Jews, not guilty. Roman Empire, guilty, but what they were guilty of was enforcing their own laws and edicts. Whether the laws and edicts of their time were "moral" according to modern standards is highly debatable, but they were the laws of the day. I don't have a moral judgment here, only a historical footnote on the context of that era's political climate.

Very informative.

A Schochet must study for and pass a litany of tests as far as their skill and knowledge and level of observance, as well as hands-on tests. Then they are certified as a Kosher Shochet. Once they are a Shochet they can shecht for their own family if they wish or a whole community. I know people who do both.

shilala
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Dude, that totally came out of leftfield, especially after our previous, very positive, exchanges about your beads (which I would still love to buy, but $ is tight). I can't imagine how anyone could NOT find that post offensive, even in jest.
Nevertheless, we of course forgive you and only look forward to good things.
Staying positive,
Rabs
The comment I made is actually a tweaked Monty Python reference from the Movie "Life Of Brian". It's from a movie that's set in the time of the emergence of Christ, and makes light of all the happenings of the time, and just how difficult, confusing, and non-sensical things were.
Personally, I spent my first 35 years wondering why everyone hated Jews. Growing up with my buddy, and loving him and his family as much as I did (and still do), I could never make sense of it. Ultimately I did a lot of studying and became pretty well educated in regards to Judaism as it applies socially throughout the centuries.
I'm a Christian. I've been taught that in order to secure my place in God's Kingdom, I need to accept Christ as my Savior.
Had not Christ died at the hands of the people of his time, the prophecy would not have been fulfilled and I'd be left soulless.
Were it not for the hand that Jews played in Christ's death, and his consequent rebirth, I would stand damned.
Worse yet, I'd not have my Faith, and I'd not be filled with the Love that is my God.
When I see it that way, it just further confuses me as to why Christians would have any bone with Jews at all. The Jewish influence in Christ's death literally secured my opportunity to accept Christ's Love, His teachings, and my opportunity to gain eternal life. Aside from that, my peace and happiness all is a direct result of my Faith, and my desire to emulate Christ's Love.

I've been upset since I read it. Not only the inference that I was something that I am not, but being overtly threatened for posting in a thread that the rules clearly state shouldn't exist in the first place. "No threads that are political or religious in nature will be allowed."
That's not to say I blame Dave at all. My careless choice of words put me in the predicament where I now stand, and I shouldn't have been participating in a thread I knew wasn't supposed to exist.

I've spent my life liivng, working with, and loving many very good friends who just so happen to practice Judaism. I've long thanked Judaism for not only giving birth to my God, teaching Him, and making Him the person He was, but directly and/or indirectly insuring my salvation by sending Him to his death, and ultimately allowing me to find Christianity.
I'll answer to God tonight for the trouble I've caused today, and I'll pray on it while I work out in the shop this afternoon.

Rabbi, any transaction you and I may or may not have had pales in comparison to my desire for your love, understanding and forgiveness. Those things matter to me.

I hope this helps you all to understand a little better what I'm made of, even if it falls far short of God's intent for me.
I'll continue to work on my shortcomings just as I do every day with the help of Christ. Expect me to screw up again. It happens despite my best efforts and best intentions.
Fortunately, by the Grace of God, the mindless hurt I cause people tends to get further apart every day.
Again, I hope you can all forgive me foir being insensitive, unthoughtful, inflammatory, and unthinking. I certainly know better. It's the practice that sometimes gives me fits. :)

TanithT
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Why do people hate Jews is a good question. It basically boils down to politics and economics, as it usually does whenever one group hates another. Environmental resources are generally scarce, so evolution hardwires us to compete for them.

Homo sapiens, and indeed almost all social mammals, are fundamentally wired to think in terms of "my tribe" and "not my tribe". The reasons for this are fairly obvious; it has a direct impact on genetic survival. Primates in particular are wired to be aggressive and ugly to competing members of the same species who fall into the "not my tribe" category. Basically, we're still naked apes, only now it's nuclear warheads we're hurling instead of feces.

The rationale can be anything, really. It can range from what name you call your deities to what food you eat to making up factually inaccurate accusations (eg, "The Jews killed Jesus") to inflame hatred. It doesn't matter; we're still talking about the psychology of in-group versus out-group dynamics. And that's the game that monkeys play. It's a highly useful and functional game in terms of evolution and genetic survival, which is why we are unlikely to see it abandoned any time soon.

In case you can't tell, my religion is basically science. I don't generally have a very high personal opinion of any beliefs that can't be backed up in a peer-reviewed journal, though I do respect and sometimes admire the spirituality of others. Whether an individual believes in G-d, Satan, Almighty Isis, pink unicorns or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/), it is not something I consider any of my business. It's personal to them, and as long as they don't try to pass laws to make everybody obey their particular religious taboos, we will get along just fine. Unfortunately monotheists have a tendency to do just that, and it annoys me rather a lot.

I do have a serious question for the rabbi. I am largely agnostic myself, but was raised in the Wiccan faith. My parents told me quite seriously that I should favor Jews over Christians in business dealings, because during hard times, Jews had a history of compassionately helping Witches, Romany gypsies, midwives, folk healers and others who were persecuted mercilessly by the Christians as "evil". In short, Christians would burn us or try to forcibly convert us, and Jews would respect us and help us. So that was their version of the in-group/out-group story. Any historical verification from the Jewish end possible here?

ActionAndy
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
That's all well and good, but do dogs really go to heaven? Pets? My mother seems to be under the impression that they do, but I have a much more metaphorical view on the afterlife (and considering animals do not really think...)

http://anination.free.fr/images/affiches/charlie.jpg

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Rabbi, any transaction you and I may or may not have had pales in comparison to my desire for your love, understanding and forgiveness. Those things matter to me.

Again, I hope you can all forgive me foir being insensitive, unthoughtful, inflammatory, and unthinking. I certainly know better. It's the practice that sometimes gives me fits. :)

Be well my friend!
Love, Understanding and forgiveness are wonderful traits to foster.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
That's all well and good, but do dogs really go to heaven? Pets? My mother seems to be under the impression that they do, but I have a much more metaphorical view on the afterlife (and considering animals do not really think...)

http://anination.free.fr/images/affiches/charlie.jpg

:r no afterlife :r but we do miss my childhood dog Scooter...

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I do have a serious question for the rabbi. I am largely agnostic myself, but was raised in the Wiccan faith. My parents told me quite seriously that I should favor Jews over Christians in business dealings, because during hard times, Jews had a history of compassionately helping Witches, Romany gypsies, midwives, folk healers and others who were persecuted mercilessly by the Christians as "evil". In short, Christians would burn us or try to forcibly convert us, and Jews would respect us and help us. So that was their version of the in-group/out-group story. Any historical verification from the Jewish end possible here?

Jewish religion mandates respect for others and their beliefs. As mentioned in an above post, we do not preach, aim to convert or forcibly subject any non-Jews to embrace Judaism. This might be unique amongst world religions/philosophies. We are a "role" oriented faith, we have ours, you have yours... a non-Jewish persons role includes observing the 7 Laws of Noah (see www.noahide.org) consciously. Most of the nations of the world have embraced them, including our great country the USA.

The Seven Laws of Noah were recognized by the United States Congress in the preamble to the bill that established Education Day in honor of the 90th birthday of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the leader of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement:

Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws.

TanithT
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Jewish religion mandates respect for others and their beliefs. As mentioned in an above post, we do not preach, aim to convert or forcibly subject any non-Jews to embrace Judaism. This might be unique amongst world religions/philosophies.

Actually, the entire category of "Mystery Traditions" were right there before you.

In a mystery tradition, seekers must go through ordeals to qualify for initiation, and/or prove to their teachers that they are worthy and deeply committed before they are permitted to join the faith and given the key to the initatory mysteries. A fairly large number of indigenous and "folk" faiths would qualify for this designation. Wicca definitely does, as the most popular modern survival of the ancient British folk traditions.

The members of a non-proselytizing faith are still not immune from making war on out-groups, since they still compete for resources. Jews do have a significantly better track record in that department than other monotheists, and it's observed and appreciated.

If a fundamental principle of your faith is "live and let live, we do not need to make others follow our religious taboos", why is a prohibition against immoral sex acts included in the Noahide laws? Does any particular sex act between two or more consenting adults qualify as "immoral" by rabbinical judgment? If so, why?

Some other faiths, including the one I grew up in, have a rede to the effect of, "An it harm none, do as you will." In short, anything two (or three, or four, or five....) healthy consenting adults of any gender configuration choose do together in their own homes, in love or in lust, harms no one and should be fine by everyone. Consequently the only reason for passing a law against it is that it violates your own religious taboo or your personal sensibilities.

So.....if that's one of the Noahide laws that non-Jews are expected to abide by, what is the rationale behind it? And what constitutes sexual immorality according to this codification?

goalie204
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Rabbi...

paper or plastic? :D

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Rabbi...

paper or plastic? :D

probably paper, but I reuse my plastic as trashcan liners and for stinky diapers ;)

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
why is a prohibition against immoral sex acts included in the Noahide laws? Does any particular sex act between two or more consenting adults qualify as "immoral" by rabbinical judgment? If so, why?

So.....if that's one of the Noahide laws that non-Jews are expected to abide by, what is the rationale behind it? And what constitutes sexual immorality according to this codification?

Firstly, all of actions (even our speech and our thoughts) have an effect.

Secondly, the Noahide laws were given to Noach (and his family) after the flood, as he was to be the progenitor of all humanity and the world would not fail again. These are the pillars of a civilized society.
This book, Seven Colors of the Rainbow, by Yirmeyahu Bindman is one of the best, if not the best book on the Noahide Laws.

The following is from this website: http://www.hasidicuniversity.org/index.php?page=hu_theocracy/th_toc.htm
DISCLAIMER: I cannot say whether or not it is reputable, but they seem to know their stuff.
Search this website for further answers to your question(s).
Commandments Against Immoral Relations
(32 commandments)

Biblical:
+212)
To have multiple children

+213)
To marry a woman

+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year

- 52)
No intermarriage between Jews and gentiles

- 262)
Not to withhold food, clothing, or intercourse from one’s wife

- 311)
Not to send a groom to duties away from home in his 1st year of marriage

- 330)
No relations with one’s mother

- 331)
No relations with one’s father’s wife

- 332)
No relations with one’s sister

- 333)
No relations with one’s father’s daughter

- 334)
No relations with one’s son’s daughter

- 335)
No relations with one’s daughter’s daughter

- 336)
No relations with one’s daughter

- 337)
No relations with a woman and with her daughter

- 338)
No relations with a woman and with her son’s daughter

- 339)
No relations with a woman and with her daughter’s daughter

- 340)
No relations with one’s father’s sister

- 341)
No relations with one’s mother’s sister

- 342)
No relations with the wife of one’s father’s brother

- 343)
No relations with the wife of one’s son

- 344)
No relations with the wife of one’s brother

- 345)
No relations with the sister of one’s wife

- 346)
No relations with a woman in her monthly period

- 347)
No adultery with a married woman

- 348)
For a man not to have relations with an animal

- 349)
For a woman not to have relations with an animal

- 350)
No homosexual relations

- 351)
No homosexual relations with one’s father

- 352)
No homosexual relations with the brother of one’s father

- 353)
No immodest contact that draws close to forbidden relations

- 355)
Not to have intercourse outside of formal marriage

- 356)
Not to remarry one’s divorced wife after she has remarried

TanithT
05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you for answering, Rabbi. So is significant anti-gay prejudice encouraged by Jewish religious authorities? Eg, vote no on gay marriage and that sort of thing? Or do they take a more "let your own conscience be your guide" stance? What about gay Jews? Are they treated differently, or told not to have any relations, or told to "convert" to heterosexuality? What about intersexed and transgendered individuals?

Science says that this kind of thing is biological hardwiring, not a choice, so that makes it ethically kind of tough to condemn people who get born that way. How does the Jewish religion handle that?

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you for answering, Rabbi.... Homosexuality etc... How does the Jewish religion handle that?

TanithT your questions (& responses:)) are very thought provoking, and also very lengthy, so you will excuse me if I refer you to sources, which are better anyway, for those who truly wish to explore (especially than my quick one-off answers).

This is the quintessential book on the subject:
Judaism and Homosexuality by Rabbi Chayim Rappaport (Vallentine Mitchell, 2004)
Being an extremely sensitive issue, Rabbi Rappaport does a brilliant job at portraying the Torah viewpoint towards homosexuality. Using a combination of Torah, medical, and psychological sources he uses an extremely empathetic tone in discussing the challenge of the homosexual as well as how the Jewish community should relate to these individuals. A brief article written by Rabbi Rappaport, “Judaism and Homosexuality”,

I hope this helps.

pnoon
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
To Tom and all the readers and participants in this thread. The thread is being discussed among the admins. We have a policy prohibiting religious threads - much as we do political threads. I am making you all aware so that should the thread be closed, you will not be taken by surprise.

Emjaysmash
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Peter-
I apologize that I posted this thread without conferring with a mod beforehand. As I'm sure you know, my only intention was to have a fun, interesting discussion to let people learn a little more about different perspectives we have on this board. I thought the first two days of this thread was going really well, and safely remained uncontroversial. Unfortunately, the questions as of late have pushed on to topics that are more controversial- to a place where I hoped it would not go, but looking back on it I honestly can't see how it couldn't get controversial. I just want to say, whatever the decision, I thank you and the team for allowing this thread to start and have a little fun. Thank you for being a great mod team- without you guys we'd all probably be at eachother's throats.

Thanks for heads up- we all appreciate it.
Peace,
MJ

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 06:14 PM
To Tom and all the readers and participants in this thread. The thread is being discussed among the admins. We have a policy prohibiting religious threads - much as we do political threads. I am making you all aware so that should the thread be closed, you will not be taken by surprise.

Do what you must. I must say I have had some fun and learned somethings myself here, so it has been a great experience for me, and I hope has been for you all as well.

I have really not seen any "controversy", as everything has been handled very amicably in a peaceful, communicative exchange of ideas.

Hope it continues, but "The Dude abides..."

Rabs

ps. for future reference a great website for all things jewish www.chabad.org
(actually the first and best Jewish website ever)

TanithT
05-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry; my bad for moving things to controversial territory. Like the Elephant's Child, I'm just 'satiably curious about how different cultures interact with issues of evolutionary biology, and what the long term results are in a Darwinian sense.

Thank you for the education, Rabbi. Or is that an appropriate term of respect from a non-Jew?

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry; my bad for moving things to controversial territory. Like the Elephant's Child, I'm just 'satiably curious about how different cultures interact with issues of evolutionary biology, and what the long term results are in a Darwinian sense.

Thank you for the education, Rabbi. Or is that an appropriate term of respect from a non-Jew?

You are welcome. That's fine.

pnoon
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Peter-
I apologize that I posted this thread without conferring with a mod beforehand. As I'm sure you know, my only intention was to have a fun, interesting discussion to let people learn a little more about different perspectives we have on this board. I thought the first two days of this thread was going really well, and safely remained uncontroversial. Unfortunately, the questions as of late have pushed on to topics that are more controversial- to a place where I hoped it would not go, but looking back on it I honestly can't see how it couldn't get controversial. I just want to say, whatever the decision, I thank you and the team for allowing this thread to start and have a little fun. Thank you for being a great mod team- without you guys we'd all probably be at eachother's throats.

Thanks for heads up- we all appreciate it.
Peace,
MJ

Do what you must. I must say I have had some fun and learned somethings myself here, so it has been a great experience for me, and I hope has been for you all as well.

I have really not seen any "controversy", as everything has been handled very amicably in a peaceful, communicative exchange of ideas.

Hope it continues, but "The Dude abides..."

Rabs

ps. for future reference a great website for all things jewish www.chabad.org
(actually the first and best Jewish website ever)
I appreciate your understanding.

The Team of 11 tries to function as a team - which is why this is under discussion.

I agree that things have been civil. But history shows us that most, if not all, political and religious threads eventually turn south.

Thanks for your patience.

Shalom. :)

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I appreciate your understanding.

The Team of 11 tries to function as a team - which is why this is under discussion.

I agree that things have been civil. But history shows us that most, if not all, political and religious threads eventually turn south.

Thanks for your patience.

Shalom. :)

Gotta love that Team... much respect.

potlimit
05-21-2009, 07:06 PM
LOL, The dude abides

ehdg
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I for one have love this thread mostly. I appreciate the Rabbi taking the time to help us and answer questions. As a whole this thread was moving very nicely and staying above board. But it seems to have gone down a controversial path lately. It must either be bitten off now and stopped or sadly I do understand the admins having to close it down. I really hope they will give it a chance and the members here will refrain from some of the controversial stuff that came up. We don't need to be going down that road. We need a nice friendly topic, question/answer thread. The Rabbi is kind enough to give of his time and knowledge and some members really appreciate it and have some valid good questions to learn and get advise. In fact I honestly think if not for this thread some of these questions folks wouldn't be comfortable asking their own Rabbi for fear of being looked down upon or looking foolish. Least he we can do it blindly and don't feel embaresed. So pls lets try and get this back on topic and a friendly one.

Tks and this is my opinion not admins. So if I've over stepped I'm sorry and just lmk.

TanithT
05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I can certainly promise to lay off the controversial topics if that will make it okay to continue. I respect what the Rabbi is offering here, and I would not want to contribute to derailing it.

Starscream
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM

I had a question that I thought might have been controversial, therefore I sent the question to the Rabbi via pm. He graciously answered my question there. I like this thread and hope it stays open. If anyone has a question that they think may be even slightly controversial, please send it via pm.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I had a question that I thought might have been controversial, therefore I sent the question to the Rabbi via pm. He graciously answered my question there. I like this thread and hope it stays open. If anyone has a question that they think may be even slightly controversial, please send it via pm.

This is what the OP advised in his first post. PM the controversial. This thread isn't dead... keep 'em coming gents!!

TanithT
05-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Rabbi, do you know about Gan Eden Winery (http://www.ganeden.com/)? The owner is an observant Jew and an old ASC cigar fan whom I've enjoyed smoking with, and he makes some awesome kosher wine products. I think he stopped labeling them as "kosher wines" because they're much, much better than the usual range of what is marketed under that name, and it was killing his sales. But he is definitely an observant Jew (http://www.ganeden.com/myjewish.htm) and makes his wines according to proper procedure. Tasty stuff, too.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Anonymous, possibly controversial (cause I'm a Sox fan from NY) question I was asked...

Yes. Kevin Youkilis is the best clutch hitter in the American League.
(also according to Mike Francesa (for those that don't know he's the biggest name in sports talk in NY, and a Yankee fan) Yes. Youk is Jewish. Yes. He is on my fantasy team.

No. Cigars are better for you than Chimichangas, especially if you are having 1 a day.

Yes. I have woke up to find out that I am the "Eyes of the World"

No. White Russians are not a substitute for Green Mountain Coffee.

I will have that cooked Medium.

TomHagen
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Rabbi, do you know about Gan Eden Winery (http://www.ganeden.com/)? The owner is an observant Jew and an old ASC cigar fan whom I've enjoyed smoking with, and he makes some awesome kosher wine products. I think he stopped labeling them as "kosher wines" because they're much, much better than the usual range of what is marketed under that name, and it was killing his sales. But he is definitely an observant Jew (http://www.ganeden.com/myjewish.htm) and makes his wines according to proper procedure. Tasty stuff, too.

No. I am not familiar with him.

It doesn't make sense that calling, labeling his wines "Kosher" would kill his sales, due to the fact that most companies are clamoring to get their products (especially WINES, if they are any good) certified Kosher.

It used to be a bad thing because people would automatically think cough-syrup Manascheiwcz. But that stopped at least a decade ago, with the tremendous influx of Israeli, French, Italian, Austalian and Cali wines that are not only good, but get top ratings consistantly.

Personally, I like Northern Israeli Wines from the Golan and Galil. I also like some of the French and some of the sweet Italian dessert wines.
Almost anything from the Golan Winery and Galil wines is delicious.

BillyCigars
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks again for your education, Rabbi!

I have 1 other question I hoped you could answer:

"+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year"

Could you expand on this? For instance, why only 1 year? When referring to "rejoicing" what does it entail? Is it supposed to be a 1 year honeymoon? Lavish gifts for 1 year? What happens in month 13?

Thanks in advance!!! :tu

TomHagen
05-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks again for your education, Rabbi!

I have 1 other question I hoped you could answer:

"+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year"

Could you expand on this? For instance, why only 1 year? When referring to "rejoicing" what does it entail? Is it supposed to be a 1 year honeymoon? Lavish gifts for 1 year? What happens in month 13?

Thanks in advance!!! :tu

In short, it means he cannot be recruited, and sent out to war. There are other leniencies involved as well, regarding financial commitments etc., in order that he (& she) can devote all of his attention to her, ingratiating her into their homelife together, setting the foundations of marriage in a joyous manner, free from certain (not all) other cares/distractions. Month 13 he just becomes a normal citizen.

Tikihut27
05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
In short, it means he cannot be recruited, and sent out to war.

Rabbi- thanks for the info and for being a good sport. I've learned a lot from reading your answers.

My question re this answer:

Do the Israeli Armed Forces adhere to this policy? What if it's an emergency? What if the Soldier doesn't want to stay home?

Might be outside your lane, I realize...

ade06
05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I can certainly promise to lay off the controversial topics if that will make it okay to continue. I respect what the Rabbi is offering here, and I would not want to contribute to derailing it.

You mentioned earlier that Jews are expected to marry only other Jews, but is it true that Jews are encouraged to "practice" with non-Jews. I think there is even a Jewish term for such "practice." I'm hoping this is not too controversial of a topic?

TanithT
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Just a little LOL tribute to our favorite Rabbi.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3553267200_40c441d9c2_o.jpg

Bruins Fan
05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow, the Rabbi is a Red Sox Fan in enemy territory :D
Youkilis is a hard working guy and a clutch player, he should get some consideration again as MVP :tu

TomHagen
05-22-2009, 05:06 PM

You mentioned earlier that Jews are expected to marry only other Jews, but is it true that Jews are encouraged to "practice" with non-Jews. I think there is even a Jewish term for such "practice." I'm hoping this is not too controversial of a topic?

G-d forbid. There is no such thing.

Adriftpanda
05-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Rabi, I want to apologize for my comment I made a few days back, it wasn't made to offend anyone. So again, I am sorry. But here is my question...
Is there a difference from the Christian God and the Jewish Yahweh? Yahweh is just another name for God correct?

TomHagen
05-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Rabbi- thanks for the info and for being a good sport. I've learned a lot from reading your answers.

My question re this answer:

Do the Israeli Armed Forces adhere to this policy? What if it's an emergency? What if the Soldier doesn't want to stay home?

Might be outside your lane, I realize...

The Israeli Government does not, unfortunately, yet, abide by the Torah and Jewish Law. They are almost completely secular and have no inherent 'holiness' as a theocracy.

The law itself is applied differently depending on the type of war.

TomHagen
05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Rabi, I want to apologize for my comment I made a few days back, it wasn't made to offend anyone. So again, I am sorry. But here is my question...
Is there a difference from the Christian God and the Jewish Yahweh? Yahweh is just another name for God correct?

Firstly, no one should be apologizing to me. I have no issues. I'm just answering 'em as they come in, shining some light and havin' fun...

Secondly, you question is kinda moot. That is not a name used for G-d in any truly Jewish context.

TomHagen
05-22-2009, 05:33 PM
It's been a pretty wild week, I hope everyone enjoyed and learned something...

I am off for Shabbos, have a good one!!

Emjaysmash
05-22-2009, 05:37 PM
It's been a pretty wild week, I hope everyone enjoyed and learned something...

Have a Good Shabbos, Rav. See ya Saturday night.

TomHagen
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Much respect to those who are defending our liberties and the freedoms of this great country at home and abroad, and to those who have served, on this Memorial Day. May G-d protect you. Thank you for all you do.

Rabs

Steve
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Much respect to those who are defending our liberties and the freedoms of this great country at home and abroad, and to those who have served, on this Memorial Day. May G-d protect you. Thank you for all you do.

Rabs

x2!

ehdg
05-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Now this I find very interesting, I'd always considered it that only the Rabbi and Cantor work on Shabbos being as it is their job to lead the congregation and the Cantor's job to sing and pray in hebrew for those that can't in a way. Though I guess technically it's not work but a labor of love/calling.

TomHagen
05-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Now this I find very interesting, I'd always considered it that only the Rabbi and Cantor work on Shabbos being as it is their job to lead the congregation and the Cantor's job to sing and pray in hebrew for those that can't in a way. Though I guess technically it's not work but a labor of love/calling.

I still don't get paid for Shabbos, or any other day. I raise all of the funds through donation for my organization. :D

The definition of "work" on Shabbos is clearly defined in the Torah. There are 39 specific tasks (and those associated with them) that were forbidden to do in the Mishkan (Tabernacle) and later in the Beit Hamikdash (Holy Temple) on Shabbos. These laborious activities are what we, as Jews, are forbidden to do on Shabbos.

Emjaysmash
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
No one has anymore questions??!! C'mon Everyone!
Rememeber, if you want to ask a question anonymously, or if it deals with a sensitive subject, feel free to PM the Rabbi!!

Churchlady
05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I've forgotten my remedial hebrew... what does mitzvot mean?
Thanks for being so open - I'd be waay to afraid to do Ask the churchlady! You've got real Chutzpah!

nozero
05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for being so open - I'd be waay to afraid to do Ask the churchlady! You've got real Chutzpah!

I'm not the Rabbi, or the Churchlady for that matter, but I can answer this one...

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitzvah):
Mitzvah (Hebrew: מצווה, IPA: [ˈmɪtsvə], "commandment"; plural, mitzvos or mitzvot; from צוה, tzavah, "command") is a word used in Judaism to refer to the 613 commandments given in the Torah and the seven rabbinic commandments instituted later for a total of 620. The term can also refer to the fulfilment of a mitzvah.

The term mitzvah has also come to express an act of human kindness. According to the teachings of Judaism, all moral laws are, or are derived from, divine commandments.

BillyCigars
05-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Okay, another question: (and thanks again in advance!!) :ss

If Judaism doesn't embrace an "afterlife", how is Samuel's appearance during the seance between King Saul and the witch at Endor explained? Samuel seemed really unhappy that he was "disturbed". If he was disturbed (and unhappy about it), wouldn't it indicate that he was *aware* that he was dead? Since awareness of death would seem to indicate more than just "ceasing to exist", I'm curious as to how this is resolved.

Thanks!!

nozero
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
My wife purchased a replacement wedding ring; I've lost two others, for my last birthday. It says "כִּי אֶל-אֲשֶׁר תֵּלְכִי אֵלֵךְ". My Hebrew is poor at best and I've forgotten how to read some of the letters and vowels. The ring lettering does not include the vowels, I found what I posted above using Google searches. I found that it comes from the book of Ruth, where Ruth replied: 'Entreat me not to leave thee, and to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy G-d my G-d".

Can you provide me with a transliteration to help me learn how to pronouce it correctly?

TIA,
Michael

MadAl
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a question, Rabbi. In Chaydar, I learned that the name of G-d is never to be spoken, not even in prayer. We learned to recognize the name of the Lord and substitue Adonai or HaShem. Yet it seems to have become commonplace, even vogue, to use that name we deem too holy to say.

Have the rules changed?

Starscream
05-26-2009, 05:46 PM

If Judaism doesn't embrace an "afterlife", how is Samuel's appearance during the seance between King Saul and the witch at Endor explained? Samuel seemed really unhappy that he was "disturbed". If he was disturbed (and unhappy about it), wouldn't it indicate that he was *aware* that he was dead? Since awareness of death would seem to indicate more than just "ceasing to exist", I'm curious as to how this is resolved.

Thanks!!

:hm This question interests me.

Speaking of the witch of Endor, was she the reason for all those daggum Ewoks that ruined Return of the Jedi?;)

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM

You can find this answer above. In short....

Mitzvot means Commandment, loosely used as an act of goodness and kindness, but specifically a Divine Command. Emptomologically related to the hebrew word Tzvtzah meaning connection - so by doing a Mitzvah you are connecting to G-d

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks!!

We DO embrace an afterlife for the soul. Torah and especially mystical Judaism describes this at length and in detail.

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
My wife purchased a replacement wedding ring; I've lost two others, for my last birthday. It says "כִּי אֶל-אֲשֶׁר תֵּלְכִי אֵלֵךְ". My Hebrew is poor at best and I've forgotten how to read some of the letters and vowels. The ring lettering does not include the vowels, I found what I posted above using Google searches. I found that it comes from the book of Ruth, where Ruth replied: 'Entreat me not to leave thee, and to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy G-d my G-d".

Can you provide me with a transliteration to help me learn how to pronouce it correctly?

TIA,
Michael

sure. Ki al asher talachi alach (the 'ch' is not like chosen but like chanukah)

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I have a question, Rabbi. In Chaydar, I learned that the name of G-d is never to be spoken, not even in prayer. We learned to recognize the name of the Lord and substitue Adonai or HaShem. Yet it seems to have become commonplace, even vogue, to use that name we deem too holy to say.

Have the rules changed?

No. The rules never change. This was question addressed above.

It has become 'fashionable' with many outsiders to try and pronounce G-d's Name, like the Madonna Kabalah crowd etc... it is nothing more than just a new spiritual blah hip thing to do. Ironically they are pronouncing and spelling it wrong.:r

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
:hm This question interests me.

Speaking of the witch of Endor, was she the reason for all those daggum Ewoks that ruined Return of the Jedi?;)

that was the MOON of endor... :D oy, those Ewoks, look like big Shittzus...

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
ps. we also believe in Reincarnation... for those inquiring minds.

TomHagen
05-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Rabbi,

I want to send this question via pm in case the answer contains information that could be seen as controversial.

First, I just want to say thank you for holding this forum. I know that it helps the Jewish members on this board, but it also provides a service to those that are non-Jewish. I actually have no religious affiliation, but I'm fascinated by religious traditions.

I hope that I can describe this right. Again, this question is coming from a memory. This memory is from the movie Pi. As a caveat, I certainly don't think that the movie's portrayal of Judaism is 100% accurate, but it's the best way I can describe the question. In case you've seen the movie, you may know what this is referencing.

There is a scene where the Jewish characters are wearing some very distinct religious garments. From what I remember, it appears that they are wearing bands that are wrapped around their arms. Also, there is a band with a small box that is worn above the forehead. I know that I've seen this outside of the movie, so it doesn't appear to be fabricated to fit a motive. I just don't know to what extent this tradition is practiced or in what capacity.

I hope that I've described this accurately. What is the significance of these garments? Is it specifically for certain celebrations or holidays?

Thank you again for helping those, such as myself, ignorant of Jewish traditions to better understand a different religious perspective.

With sincerest respect and appreciation,

Not controversial at all. A very valid and important question.

Sorry just to give you a link, but this would be a really long answer and this is really the MOST comprehensive description:

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/ai...h/Tefillin.htm

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/aid/102436/jewish/Tefillin.htm

Also, I have seen Pi.

BillyCigars
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
We DO embrace an afterlife for the soul. Torah and especially mystical Judaism describes this at length and in detail.

Ahh thanks for clarifying! I must have been confused - about 6 months back, I was having a casual (almost joking) discussion about the afterlife, heaven, etc. with my 2 Jewish friends and they both told me that they just "cease to exist". Odd.

Thanks again!:tu

ActionAndy
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Hello again Rabbi,

So this reincarnation thing has always had me curious. Do your texts give specifics on how this would work? I'm wondering if I die, my soul comes out and has a period of enlightenment (where it would remember all of its lives, not just this one) and then goes back to a body...or if I just die, have my memory wiped, and shoved into a new body. The second option seems pretty lame, considering I wouldn't even be aware of it (and then is it even me?)

TomHagen
05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Hello again Rabbi,

So this reincarnation thing has always had me curious. Do your texts give specifics on how this would work? I'm wondering if I die, my soul comes out and has a period of enlightenment (where it would remember all of its lives, not just this one) and then goes back to a body...or if I just die, have my memory wiped, and shoved into a new body. The second option seems pretty lame, considering I wouldn't even be aware of it (and then is it even me?)

this topic deserves a tremndously long answer, some of which I will write up and post IY''H

ActionAndy
05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
this topic deserves a tremndously long answer, some of which I will write up and post IY''H

Thanks, take your time :tu

RGD.
05-29-2009, 12:27 AM
After reading every single post - I must say that I have found this thread to be both entertaining and informative at the same time. :tu

So . . . I have a few questions I have not seen answered:

01. How long have you been a Rabbi?

02. Was there some defining moment or event in your life that led you to becoming a Rabbi.

03. I love your wit and humor . . . was being a stand up comedian ever an option? :ss

Ron