PDA

View Full Version : Met Rocky Patel Today -

RGD.
05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Rocky Patel was at the Olde Virginia Tobacco store in Kingstowne today. Friend and I stopped by to meet him.

As always he was very gracious and down to earth. Stayed several hours visiting and talking with him. While there he had a phone interview with Cigar Dave.

I did ask him what his go to smoke was. Either the Decade or the Sun Grown to start with. He likes full body smokes - so anything along those lines.

How many does he smoke a day? 5 to 7. Yesterday 18. When he on the farms - up to 30. :ss

I also asked him about the difference in the original release of "The Edge" verse the current production. He said that they did tone it down a bit after the first production run. He felt it was a tad to strong.

It was great listening to him talk about the tobacco farms - and explaining how the seasonal rains, sun, etc affects the different crops. He said that all crops (for the different tobaccos) are planted the same, same place, same fertilizers, etc - but due to nature - they will come out with different tastes. Therefore he constantly has to tweak every blend to insure that it remains constant.

Funny story on the Decade box. He said he wanted something different but had a hard time describing to the box manufacturers (in Nicaragua) what he wanted, which was an old looking years weathered box. Said he took a box, tied to the back of his truck, drove it around dragging it on the street, hit with a few chains and rolled it in the mud and dirt. Gave it to the box people and said make them like this. They came back later and said - they could not do it. So the current box is made with the left over sawdust pressed.

And for you Winter Blend fans. There is no more at the moment - they sold them faster than ever expected. There is more in production. And - because it is so popluar - it's going to get it's own name/regular production. No name yet but he is leaning to either "1961" or "10th Anniversary". I didn't think to ask him why "1961".

Anyway - it was an enjoyable time. Nice small crowd with people coming and going. I smoked Spring Collection and he had a Sun Grown.

Picked up a box of the Decades which he signed for me. It came with a five pack of the ITC smokes and a free lighter (black or chrome, I choose the black one). And since my daughter is a fan of his Connecticut's - got a few smokes in a bag which he also signed to her. She thought that was way cool.

So - good enjoyable afternoon.

Got a picture together - but it's on a cell phone that didn't turn out so great.

Ron

King James
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
awesome, Ron :tu

Sounds like a cool guy

elderboy02
05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Awesome story about the Decade box!
Posted via Mobile Device

rharris
05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Cool! I've met him a few times and he has always been fun to talk to.I like the edge and the O.W.R as well as the decades.

Tripp
05-15-2009, 06:25 PM
no wonder the first few Edges I had were great and the rest sucked!

Bax
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
...but the important question was did you ask him about the B&M vs. Internet stock debate :fu

RGD.
05-15-2009, 06:31 PM
no wonder the first few Edges I had were great and the rest sucked!

I know. I basically told him that - just a bit more subtle - :D

...but the important question was did you ask him about the B&M vs. Internet stock debate :fu

Naw - didn't want to ruin a good afternoon - :r

Ron

RGD.
05-15-2009, 06:39 PM
And oh yeah - one guy (obviously a newb - :r ) asked him about the cello on or off deal.

His reply was: remove the cello after receiving them. He only puts them ( most of the blends) in cello to cut down on damage to them until you get them home.

I told him I keep them however they come - he said if you store in a cedar lined box/humidor to remove the cello.

So there ya go -

Ron

SmokinApe
05-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a great time!

dentonparrots
05-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, I'm a jealous man and I've not even tried an RP. It sounds like a great day was had, thanks for the thoughts

m69c44
05-15-2009, 07:24 PM
That was awesome Ron. I didn't know about the tone down Edge, I thought it was just me getting use to them (LOL)

Adriftpanda
05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I was lucky enough to meet Rocky when I first started smoking. I was at an event which Rocky was hosting. Stand up guy.

lightning9191
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Good story! Where are the pics though???:D

Skywalker
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Sounds like a fun time Ron!!!:tu

shadow king
05-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

groogs
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
That is a cool, I met Rocky at the Big Smoke a few years back and he was a great guy. My tastes have grown away from his smokes, but he is certainly a great front man for his company.

68TriShield
05-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I enjoyed hanging with him in Florida as well.

troutbreath
05-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Cool story! Thanks for sharing!

jjirons69
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Wow, green with envy. I love me some RPs! Thanks for sharing, Ron.

BTW, how the hell do you smoke 30 cigars a day? :ss

Catfish
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
...how the hell do you smoke 30 cigars a day?
Ugh, I'd be sick as a dog after 6.

longknocker
05-18-2009, 03:56 AM
Great Story, Ron! Thanks for Sharing!:tu

newcigarz
05-18-2009, 04:14 AM
I enjoyed hanging with him in Florida as well.

I liked his Bentley :rolleyes:

kaelaria
05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Cool meet!

Dude - 5-30...a DAY?! I'm not a health nut by any means, but....YOW.

Mr.Maduro
05-18-2009, 06:33 AM
I liked his Bentley :rolleyes:

The other accessory he had with him was quite nice too...:rolleyes:

newcigarz
05-18-2009, 07:36 AM

:r

themoneycollector
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM

TTIWWOP ;) :fu

hotreds
05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
How was his English? Does he speak with an Indian or a Spanish accent?

68TriShield
05-18-2009, 09:06 AM
How was his English? Does he speak with an Indian or a Spanish accent?

Perfect and no accent.Him or his Brother.

kydsid
05-18-2009, 09:14 AM
OVTC Kingstowne gets all the goods. I was there for the Bratalia release with Tim Ozgener.

Hey RGD. Are you one of my old BOTL from the Northern Virginia Cigar Enthusiasts?

BeerAdvocate
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
And for you Winter Blend fans. There is no more at the moment - they sold them faster than ever expected. There is more in production. And - because it is so popluar - it's going to get it's own name/regular production. No name yet but he is leaning to either "1961" or "10th Anniversary". I didn't think to ask him why "1961". Ron

I wonder if this is the new Rocky Patel Royal Vintage in the new Cigar.com catalog?

BTW - I picked up the new RP Spring today. My B&M said it that the wrapper is a Sumatra wrapped around the same filler as the Winter.

TripleF
05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
My 2 favs are Rocky's 2 favs :D I feel special!

Thanks for sharing Ron! :tu

RGD.
05-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey RGD. Are you one of my old BOTL from the Northern Virginia Cigar Enthusiasts?

Unfortunately - no. Getting out to McLean on Wednesdays is a little tough for me.

I wonder if this is the new Rocky Patel Royal Vintage in the new Cigar.com catalog?

The new production smoke based on the Winter Blend is only int the planning stage and isn't out yet.

Ron