PDA

View Full Version : ever reformatted a hard drive?

JJG
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a laptop on the bar in my living room that's kind of the "house" computer for my roommate and guests to use for web browsing. As a result I have no control over what websites people visit and what sort BS gets downloaded. (It's a sh*tty old Gateway so who cares)

Long story short, I think it may have a virus (or several, or at least a healthy amount of spyware/malware) Google searches get redirected to spam sites, youtube doesn't want to work, etc... Malwarebytes and Housecall don't seem to be able to fix the problem.

I have all the original disks that came with the computer, including the (legit) windows XP disk. My problem is that I've never reformatted a drive/reinstalled windows. just wondering if anybody here can give me simple walk-through of the process or direct me to page that explains things in relatively simple terms. there's nothing to back up either since I don't have any important files on this computer.

What problems am I likely to run into? What is the hardest part? I have watched a friend go through the process before and I have a vague understanding of what it entails. Any help is appreciated.

AD720
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
If you are not worried about backing anything up or saving anything it is a piece of cake.

1 - put the Window CD in the drive.
2 - restart the computer
3 - As soon as it comes back up go into the bios (should be F1, delete or something like that)
4 - Set the CD Drive as the first startup device
5 - exit bios
6 - when prompted press any key to start from CD
7 - follow the prompts in the Windows Setup.
8 - make sure you delete the partition and format it to a new partition (that is the step that wipes it).

More info from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

SilverFox
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
*edit* ADT720 beat me to it, follow his instructions and you are good to go.

If you have all the original discs you should have no issues, you will have to suffer through a few windows updates but that is no issue.

As for reformatting just switch the boot drive to the CD and toss in your xp disc and let it do the formatting.

Do you have the original drivers for the laptop? If you have the OEM drivers disc you are good to go, otherwise you will have to find them on the net which is relatively simple although a pain.

Sounds like a simple install to me.
I have a laptop on the bar in my living room that's kind of the "house" computer for my roommate and guests to use for web browsing. As a result I have no control over what websites people visit and what sort BS gets downloaded. (It's a sh*tty old Gateway so who cares)

Long story short, I think it may have a virus (or several, or at least a healthy amount of spyware/malware) Google searches get redirected to spam sites, youtube doesn't want to work, etc... Malwarebytes and Housecall don't seem to be able to fix the problem.

I have all the original disks that came with the computer, including the (legit) windows XP disk. My problem is that I've never reformatted a drive/reinstalled windows. just wondering if anybody here can give me simple walk-through of the process or direct me to page that explains things in relatively simple terms. there's nothing to back up either since I don't have any important files on this computer.

What problems am I likely to run into? What is the hardest part? I have watched a friend go through the process before and I have a vague understanding of what it entails. Any help is appreciated.

JJG
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM
wow, easier than I thought. I think the difficulty my buddy had when we reset my old computer was that I didn't have any backup disks or drivers. I remember it involved finding the model number of my motherboard and tracking down drivers for everything. no thanks. not impossible, but a pain.

I will probably take care of this over the weekend and I'll keep my other computer close by in case I need to consult the internet.

thanks guys

ChasDen
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Its really easy if you have the original disks, just make sure you update windows with ALL the updates.

I reformat and start over about once a year. Its amazing how things slow down even when your careful in just a year.

Chas

hotreds
05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Its really easy if you have the original disks, just make sure you update windows with ALL the updates.

I reformat and start over about once a year. Its amazing how things slow down even when your careful in just a year.

Chas

:tpd: However, I don't even though I know I should. I just have sooo much stuff- esp pix- that I'll live with the slow speed. A new computer is a different matter......

WildBlueSooner
05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
The hardest part is always backing up anything important before you format...I have formatted my old computer several times and each time several days later I though of something I wished I would have kept..so think hard first!

JJG
05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
My other laptop is actually getting rather slow as well but my concern is that I don't the original windows XP disk that came with it. I do have some sort of dell recovery disk saved to the desktop but what about the operating system? Is my only option to go purchase a new copy of XP if I want to reformat?

poker
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Is my only option to go purchase a new copy of XP if I want to reformat?

Yes & no. Yes, you must have a Windows CD to reformat. No you do not have to go purchase a new copy if you can just borrow one. ;)

poker
05-14-2009, 09:29 AM

If you have to original XP disk that came with it, that will work.

In a nutshell....

1) Format C drive data by inserting the Windows disk and restarting

2) The computer should automatically boot from the CD

3) Simply follow the prompts to format the C drive and reinstall Windows

For a detailed guide:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

JJG
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes & no. Yes, you must have a Windows CD to reformat. No you do not have to go purchase a new copy if you can just borrow one. ;)

well, I've done this in the past but as I understand it the Windows "genuine advantage" updates now make it difficult to "borrow" a copy

acarr
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Get a few cigars it could take a while for it all to load. Then when you update the software at Microsoft, it may take 5 or 6 downloads and reboots.

poker
05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
well, I've done this in the past but as I understand it the Windows "genuine advantage" updates now make it difficult to "borrow" a copy

Not true. The "genuine advantage" comes into play to get updates. :)

mosesbotbol
05-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Download all of your drivers to a thumb drive before you start. Copy any files you want to save before you install new OS. Diskpart command works quicker than formatting.

JJG
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM

well, I would definitely want to be able to get all the windows updates so where does that leave me? I'd love to do this for free but if I have to pay the $85 for a new copy of Xp, that's still cheaper than a new computer.

poker
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Well if you have the original XP disc that came with your PC as you say, you're golden. The Genuine Advantage Tool from MS looks at your hardware configuration to distinguish it from other PC's (which is why it will only load on your PC). If you made no major hardware changes, you should be able to use your disk to not only reformat, but to also reload a fresh OS.

ChasDen
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

And if you get "turned down" for updates manually, just turn them on to "Automatic" and it will still download the updates after it refuses you manually.

Bug or feature, not sure but it works.

Chas

JJG
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Well if you have the original XP disc that came with your PC as you say, you're golden. The Genuine Advantage Tool from MS looks at your hardware configuration to distinguish it from other PC's (which is why it will only load on your PC). If you made no major hardware changes, you should be able to use your disk to not only reformat, but to also reload a fresh OS.

yeah, sorry I started talking about 2 different computers. confusing. The one in the original post I do have a disk for but for my Dell I do not have the XP cd.

nozero
05-14-2009, 06:39 PM
If the above suggestions don't result in the desired manner, you may want to consider a new hard disk drive. There are some things you just can't get rid of any other way.
:2

mosesbotbol
05-15-2009, 05:45 AM
A phone call to Microsoft will fix any Genuine Advantage tool errors. Tell them you swapped some hardware and you're using the same license you had before...

themoneycollector
05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
The hardest part is always backing up anything important before you format...I have formatted my old computer several times and each time several days later I though of something I wished I would have kept..so think hard first!

Backing up all the files is my biggest dread to formatting.

What I do is get all my personal docs, pics, etc. and create a couple of folders (ie. DVD 1, DVD 2,....). Move all my data into those folders, burn onto DVD's, then delete the original folders. As I find new files, create more folders. Then I start deleting system & program folders (warning here, only do this when you are 100% sure you will backup). I know I'm done when my disk space is pretty small. This helps me find all those files that are stored in folders other than my documents, but are important. Sometimes programs are pretty annoying about using their own save file dirs.

ChasDen
05-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Because I do it yearly I learned a long time ago to format a separate partition for just the files I want to keep. On that drive I have folders for my working files, Documents, spreadsheets and so forth. Another folder is for my photos, movies and music. Then there is the catch all folders for stuff I just don’t know about. When each folder gets bigger than a DVD I start looking at moving things off the hard drive and onto a DVD. That keeps the size of the folders to a manageable level. When it’s time to reformat, I move what’s left onto a DVD and give it all the three finger salute and start over. Occasionally I miss something but fortunately so far it’s never been of major importance.

Chas

Junior
05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
If the above suggestions don't result in the desired manner, you may want to consider a new hard disk drive. There are some things you just can't get rid of any other way.
:2

Or you could use disk kill (http://www.killdisk.com/) to wipe the drive.

Cigary
05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah, sorry I started talking about 2 different computers. confusing. The one in the original post I do have a disk for but for my Dell I do not have the XP cd.

If you lost your original CD then order another one from the company,,,it's only about $13 plus S/H,,,it's worth getting it because it will bring your computer back to the original specs,,,I had to do that with my Compaq because I lost the start up CD,,,,you load and walk thru the whole thing as it will prompt you with what to do next,,almost idiot proof.