PDA

View Full Version : A Short Story about a Short Story

Linus
10-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I hid in the corner, hoping that the edge would keep the wind from fanning the burn too much. I wanted to enjoy it but I could see from the looks of those around me I was violating their sense of morality far too much. There I was in my shorts and NYU hoodie, warm with my own self while they were bundled up as if winter had descended. They crinkled their snobbish noses at a smell they were taught was bad, much like the way they were taught that sex was bad and immoral. They never would admit publicly that in their heart of hearts they really liked it. Oh, in whispers they would but never publicly. We're too proper for that, they'd think.

I eyed my Arturo Fuente Short Story and pondered where life was and where it was going. That would take, I thought, far longer than this cigar. How I wished it was a Long Story or a Novel instead of a Short Story. The wonderful creamy flavour that comes through seems like a temptation that teases us and then, is gone. It was a wonderful burn, even in the Baltimore Harbor wind. The wrapper held all the parts of the Story together in a beautiful form, making it almost sinful to light it up. I eyed the packaging and realized that the old adage of not judging a book by it's cover didn't apply. This cover was a good indication of what I'd find inside.

I went back to reading the latest Cigar Magazine while sipping a Pepsi and drawing on my cigar. The wind didn't bother me. In fact, it took to ignoring me and blustered around everyone else. It was almost as if it enjoyed the scent and wanted others to enjoy it too. The taste was consistent and so good that it wasn't until I noticed my fingers nearly burning as it reached to the most minimal of nubs that I had sadly realized I had reached the end.

I'll have to re-read this Short Story once again.

For the sake of review: 9/10

Purchased at: Cross Street Tobacco in Baltimore

spincycle
10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Great Short Story. You certainly have a talent for writing!

Linus
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Great Short Story. You certainly have a talent for writing!

Heh.. thanks. It's a dream to write more fiction although I do write technical articles right now.

BlackIrish
10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Really enjoy the Short Story, and the short story, too.

Thanks for the review.

BlackIrish

md4958
10-18-2008, 09:10 PM
great post. well written

Beer Doctor
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Nice story:tu

Domer
10-18-2008, 09:36 PM
could have said it better, the Hemingway series is one of my favorites. I always seem to buy them even when I have a bunch. I just don't want to run out.:ss

Mark C
10-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Nice story. Were you smoking in Baltimore? It ain't the most cigar-friendly town. Even cigarette smokers look down on you, go figure.

Linus
10-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Nice story. Were you smoking in Baltimore? It ain't the most cigar-friendly town. Even cigarette smokers look down on you, go figure.

Ya. I was there a few weeks ago for work. I couldn't always head out to the Cigar store so on one particular night I just hung out where I'd get protection from the wind.

And I'm glad everyone enjoyed the story. I'll post more of my reviews as they come out.

68TriShield
10-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Its amazing to me how consistent they can be,thanks for the review.:)
Interesting blog too...

floydpink
10-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Earnest would be proud of your writing skills.

All in all, the Short Story is probably in my top 5 cigars from anywhere. If you have a chance to smoke a Work of Art, do it. If you can get a WOA in maduro, grab it.

Linus
10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Earnest would be proud of your writing skills.

All in all, the Short Story is probably in my top 5 cigars from anywhere. If you have a chance to smoke a Work of Art, do it. If you can get a WOA in maduro, grab it.

Ya. I may see about grabbing one or both of those later this week since I'm off-platform (not teaching and working from home on my own schedule). :)

theycallmedan'lboone
10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Nice little write up, for a nice little cigar. *high five*

Pipe&Cigar
10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Enjoyed the story. Thanks!

php007
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Great story, look forward to more.

Magma
10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, now that was a great story and review! I wish I could write like that!

:eevis
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Awesome, Never had one, but your review/story makes me want to try one and join you in you Kerouac-ian part of the world

SonsofClubDeck
10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Great style. Simple and brutally honest. I am not so selfish with my smoke that I do not enjoy supplying the "higher ups" with some as well.

GWags
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
very nice - thanks for the read

Starchild
10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I enjoyed the story, thanks for posting the review :tu

I had a SS last night. It was one of the first great cigars I had, and one I always come back to :ss

Linus
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Wow. Thank you everyone. When I did the original review a few weeks ago, I wrote it as above on a whim (to obviously play on the title of the cigar). I didn't expect to receive such a great response. :)

I think a WOAM or WOAN will be an interesting challenge :D

SteelCityBoy
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Great story...couldn't help but do a bit of pondering myself while I smoked my short story tonight. Would't have minded pondering a bit more due the peaceful moment it put me in! Well said!

Fordman4ever
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
great review. I wonder how the story would change if you had had a SS maduro?

proguy747
10-30-2011, 08:12 AM
great review. Nice to read some talent.

Ogre
10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Great story about an awesome cigar!!! thanks for sharing.