PDA

View Full Version : My First Fuente Fuente Opus X!

longknocker
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I started my usual Sunday Morning routine with my weekly pool cleaning & decided to fire up one of my Best sticks in celebration of Mother's Day. I lost my mother many years ago & wanted to reminisce about Her on this "Special Day". Received a great trade at a fantastic price on a 5'er of Fuente Fuente OpusX from Wil (Hawk 6815). Thanks again, Bro!:tu This, I believe, was the "Super Belicoso", 5 1/2X 52. Dominican made with Dominican filler, binder, & wrapper. Beautiful medium brown in color, fantastic construction with a nice firm feel. The stick was initially difficult to light and required several touch ups, in spite of having several years of age on it and resting comfortably in my humi @ 65RH. I detected an initial spice flavor, with a hint of red cherries and nuts. Very smooth with tons of thick white smoke clouds billowing out. Draw was very easy, just like I like it! I watched my family of Cardinals around the bird feeder and a small mother sparrow meticulously building her nest in the eaves of my house on this special Mother's day! I was thoroughly enjoying this wonderful smoke! I smoked this great stick on an empty stomach with my morning coffee. ( More on that, later):r Rest of the smoke was smooth, pure tobacco flavor with maybe a touch of Black Cherry & nuts returning at the last 1/3 of the smoke. I usually smoke fairly strong cigars, so I didn't think I would have any problems smoking this bad boy on an empty stomach. Wrong! Just as I was nubbing this beautiful, flavorful stick after 1 1/2 hours, I felt a strong wave of nausea & clammy sweat filling my body. Got up slowly on wobbly knees and gobbled up a handful of my emergency sugar, my old standby of "Hot Tamale" cinnamon candy. Queasiness went away quickly, but I was still a little weak in the knees after 30 minutes. Just finished a nice breakfast of toast, bacon & eggs and am feeling much better, know, Thank You!:tu Overall rating:9/10 with one point taken off for several required relights. Fantastic smoke overall, but make sure you smoke this "BadBoy" on a full stomach! Thanks for reading my review, All, and enjoy your Mother's day with Your Mothers & Family!

Greg

icehog3
05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Glad you had a great smoke, great experience and some memories of youe Mom, Greg. :)

acarr
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the review. These can be a little strong. I was smoking one one time and accidentally inhaled a very small amount and I was hacking forever.

GreekGodX
05-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Great review!! I haven't had one yet, but I have a couple of these stored away in my humi. You make me want to light one up but I'm holding off for a while..

kelmac07
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Great review...holding one of these in the humi. Makes me wwant to fire it up now.

Rockestone
05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Great review Greg. I have spent many hours watching the birds around my feeders and bird bath while smoking cigars on my porch. One of my favorite things to do!:tu

reggiebuckeye
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Good review, Greg. Glad you enjoyed the smoke.

Cigary
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice review of a great cigar. If you aren't a regular Opus smoker these cigars can affect you the way you described,,but man are they good. In the future have something on your stomach to really enjoy this cigar without the after effects.

boonedoggle
05-10-2009, 03:06 PM
nice review! I have never been a fan of these, but I know alot of people enjoy them quite a bit.

SmokeyJoe
05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Glad you had a great smoke, great experience and some memories of your Mom, Greg. :)

:tpd: Sounds like a nice way to start your day. I am a big fan of the Opus... at MSRP. :D

WildBlueSooner
05-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I had my first Opus not long ago...a great smoke.

G G
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Nice review Greg. I have one of these that was gifted to me by DrHalle and maybe I'll bring it to the jax herf and smoke it with him.

gnukfu
05-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the review...great smoke to pick in memory of your Mom...when I read that you were smoking it on an empty stomach I giggled...those are after-a-big steak dinner smokes for me.

longknocker
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the review...great smoke to pick in memory of your Mom...when I read that you were smoking it on an empty stomach I giggled...those are after-a-big steak dinner smokes for me.

:tu I won't do that again, George!:r

Texan in Mexico
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice review and you reallư identified what makes this passion of ours so special.

Reminiscing and payinG tribute to those that helped make us who we are.

Thank you for the review but more importantly thank you for sharing your words about this very special day!

scooter
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the review. They are good!

white_s2k
05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Great review...holding one of these in the humi. Makes me wwant to fire it up now.

:tpd:

Very nice review, thanks!

karmaz00
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
very nice. thanks for sharing

BMTA
05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Always a ton of oil in the wrapper, Great review!

skullnrose
05-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Great review. Thanks for sharing.

kaelaria
05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
OMG the same thing happened to me for the first time the other day, after an Oliva O...man I hate that feeling!!!

darkninja67
05-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice review and experience. Thanks for sharing.

Jimbo14
05-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the great review. I just finished a Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto which was fantastic!

I purchased a Opus X Fuente Fuente Robusto a couple of weeks ago and am saving it for a special occasion. I can't wait.

DPD6030
05-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to light one up soon. :tu

eber
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Great review, I haven't had one of these either but I need to get my hands on a couple

DougBushBC
05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Everyone's first opus should be as good ;)