PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else

The Saint
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Tired of seeing "Cuban-esque" when companies describe their cigar?

theonlybear4CORT
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah but not as much as "reminds me of a barn yard,smells like a barn yard" if a cigar smells like hose poop I'll just pitch it.

duckmanco
05-07-2009, 12:41 AM
yeah, but more tired of cuban seed.... I think its sort of understood now and not necessary to keep printing it.

shadow king
05-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Its their pitch to get newbs to try it. CC's and NC's are like apples and oranges for about 95% of the product out there. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good NC's out there. But to call them cubanesque is a slap in the face imho. Pretty much once you go Cuban you never go back. Pardon the pun...:r

DougBushBC
05-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Its just like "Cuban Seed" or "Havana" on the Label. In my industry it is the American producers calling their beef "American Kobe Beef" or "Kobe-style beef". In the wine world it is "Champagne Method" or "California Champagne". People will always reflect that which is the marker for the industry.

SmokinApe
05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I think it's stupid... It is BS marketing in an attempt to get your money...

I was at the B&M and the guy pointed out a cigar and told me it was the most "Cubanest" cigar made. I asked how he knew, what made it cubanesque and if he ever smoked a cuban...

He told me, the manufacturer told him, he didn't know, and he hadn't...

14holestogie
05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I think it's stupid... It is BS marketing in an attempt to get your money...

I was at the B&M and the guy pointed out a cigar and told me it was the most "Cubanest" cigar made. I asked how he knew, what made it cubanesque and if he ever smoked a cuban...

He told me, the manufacturer told him, he didn't know, and he hadn't...

I'm sold. :r

hotreds
05-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes

Hardcz
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. If you can get cigars that taste like cubans, why buy cubans... :bs

GreekGodX
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
For me it is like the domestic Feta cheese. The label will say greek style feta cheese. It is not the same!!

NC's will never be like CC's.

mikeyj23
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Its just like "Cuban Seed" or "Havana" on the Label. In my industry it is the American producers calling their beef "American Kobe Beef" or "Kobe-style beef". In the wine world it is "Champagne Method" or "California Champagne". People will always reflect that which is the marker for the industry.

well methode champenoise IS a legitimate term/process, but that's neither here nor there.
Posted via Mobile Device

borndead1
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Meh, it's a marketing ploy. If the cigar tastes good, burns good I don't care if they call it Ronald McDonald's Private Reserve.

Mugen910
05-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah but not as much as "reminds me of a barn yard,smells like a barn yard" if a cigar smells like hose poop I'll just pitch it.

:r

Coz77
05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

I don't know Mike....Some of the best cigars I've had smell like barn yard on the prelight. Personally if I pull a smoke out of the humi and get a wife of barnyard 9 out of 10 times I'm in for a treat....Ive never had the barnyard smell come through after lighting it though :confused:. Might pitch the smoke if that was the case.

newlifetaxidermy
05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree. I gave a buddy of mine a Hoyo Epicure No2 when he invited me over to watch the superbowl. I had to explain that it was the real deal. He was thinking cuban seed and Habano wrapper by the terms on the band.

Volt
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Meh, it's a marketing ploy. If the cigar tastes good, burns good I don't care if they call it Ronald McDonald's Private Reserve.

+1

DougBushBC
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
well methode champenoise IS a legitimate term/process, but that's neither here nor there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Understood, that doesn't mean that it is Champagne. It is a way of producing something that will be close but not quite, just like cigar manufacturers are trying to do.

BryanB
05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Dutch Masters are cuban seed according to the box. I don't want cuban seed. But as long as the "idiots" are buying this cuban terms up then it will continue. Maybe the embargo will be lifted and everyone can decide which they like better.

AD720
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't know Mike....Some of the best cigars I've had smell like barn yard on the prelight. Personally if I pull a smoke out of the humi and get a wife of barnyard 9 out of 10 times I'm in for a treat....Ive never had the barnyard smell come through after lighting it though :confused:. Might pitch the smoke if that was the case.

:tpd:

flat6nut
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Why smoke a Cuban when you can have Dominican?

dentonparrots
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
If a seed was produced from Cuban tobacco plants, and grown under identical soil, lighting and water conditions surely it should taste absolutely the same. In this day and age with soil testing and additives surely only the climate and water could alter the tastes assuming they've put the additives into the soil. Just a thought....

Junior
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
If a seed was produced from Cuban tobacco plants, and grown under identical soil, lighting and water conditions surely it should taste absolutely the same. In this day and age with soil testing and additives surely only the climate and water could alter the tastes assuming they've put the additives into the soil. Just a thought....

I don’t like the term. It will fool a lot of naive people, and possibly turn them off of a cigar that they may fall in love with, because of bad marketing.

From what I understand Cubans are the way they are because of the Climate, and growing conditions they have. I would say that it would be different in other countries even with the soil additives. Also my thought on Cuban Seeds, it is my understanding which could be wrong, but the seeds were originally taken from Cuba when the cigar makes fled from Cuba. Wouldn’t all the seeds other than the first setting be from the country they are grown in? Again this is just my thoughts, and they could very well be incorrect.

dentonparrots
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Also my thought on Cuban Seeds, it is my understanding which could be wrong, but the seeds were originally taken from Cuba when the cigar makes fled from Cuba. Wouldn’t all the seeds other than the first setting be from the country they are grown in? Again this is just my thoughts, and they could very well be incorrect.

I've been on a site about growing tobacco (think it's called coffin nails) and I think you may very well be right, the different generations of seeds produce different smokes even though they are from the same genetic line.
I aint no expert either mind!

Sr Mike
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Every "cuban-esque" cigar I have smoked tasted like tobacco, those bastards!!!

SmokinApe
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Not only the conditions must be the same; the growing; the curing, the blending and the rolling must be the same...

nozero
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM

http://nozero.org/Cigar/IAgree.gif
In the end, I'm the one who decides for me.

dentonparrots
05-07-2009, 06:05 PM
In the end, I'm the one who decides for me.
:tpd: I couldn't agree more.

Every "cuban-esque" cigar I have smoked tasted like tobacco, those bastards!!!

:r:r:r

BMTA
05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Absolutely!

neoflex
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
The problem is it's a marketing ploy that works. Although many boards have tons of members, there is still a giant portion of the market of cigar smokers who don't know any better. I have talked to numerous cigar smokers in my life that have been a lover of the leaf a long time and I sh*t you not it is not uncommon to hear these people say "I like xyz cigar because it's made from a Cuban seed and tastes just like a Cuban" I usually just nod and don't argue with their logic as if it works for them and makes them feel better about there choice of what to smoke because it says that on the box than who am I to ruin it for them. I do ask what Cubans they have smoked and what they compare to and 99.9% of the time I get Cohiba as an answer. In my head I am usually responding, "From a glasstop box right?":(:D
The truth of the matter is a large portion of us BOTL and SOTL don't know any better. There's a reason why Acid is one of the top selling brands.:pu