PDA

View Full Version : Question about humidity and flavor

Thrak
05-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I know, I feel like I've seen this before but I cant find it in a search or google, so I must be looking wrong...

Its rained here all week/weekend, literally, with today having heavy t-storms.

My hygro in my humi read slightly higher than normal, but nothing out of the ordinary. (68-69% instead of 64-65%).

I pulled out a Perdomo Signature Collection, that I've been looking forward to trying, and it was so harsh and tight. After less than 1/4 I had to put it out, couldnt take it.

So then I pulled out one of my favs, a lot23... the draw was much better, normal, but the taste was harsh also. Not very smooth, the sweetness I usually get wasnt there, just pretty disappointing.

My question is, do you guys see a pretty noticeable taste variance when its rained alot? Maybe the air is so humid that it starts absorbing immediately out of the humi? OR, did I just have a bad day with my sticks?

groogs
05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't notice much difference in my cigars with such a small change in humidity. Are you sure your hygro is accurate.

newlifetaxidermy
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I have not had a problem with changes that small in humidity. If you read my caribbean thread, you know some of my smokes spiked to 90% in a travel humi. That made the sticks have a super tight draw. I did not notice any harshness, but the tight draw led to small amounts of smoke that were hard to taste.

Thrak
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I did a calibration test on it in Jan and it was -4, which I accounted for in my readings above...

Must have just been a bad stick day for me. :(

WildBlueSooner
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Its all mental!