PDA

View Full Version : La Tradicion Perdomo ReserveŽ Limited Golf Edition

DougBushBC
05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I am an occasional golfer, and I usually keep score by either the number of beers consumed or the balls lost. That being said I really enjoy my golf cigars when on the course. I had bought some Perdomo Golf Edition smokes a while back just for a time like this, and so I brought two of them one for me and one for my buddy.

According to the Perdomo website: "The new line, La Tradicion Perdomo ReserveŽ Limited Golf Edition, features a silky, 5 year aged, dark Ecuadorian Connecticut-shade grown wrapper and rich, complex Nicaraguan fillers." The size I smoked was the "Double Eagle Tubo" which weighs in at a massive 7x54 size.

Picture: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WzSZoBJDIGQ/SgIPEypLBkI/AAAAAAAACe4/DHG9J9WN5vw/s512/PerdomoGolf.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Py1zvOV8yO6zLbdSYbLV4A?feat=directlink)

Pre-light: The construction was fairly nice on this cigar, there were a few veins, but nothing too bad, the wrapper lacked an luster or shine, but had a nice red-brown color. The aroma was decent as well, and the cigar was moderately firm from end to end.

Initial Light (Hole 2): The first puff was surprisingly easy, providing a nice amount of smoke and a spicy, coffee flavor. I noticed that almost instantly it started burning with a wavy edge, not quite uneven but not the nice neat perfectly round burn I want.

First Third (Hole 2-4): The smoke quickly got off to a poor burn, which is somewhat expected in the windy golf environment. The flavors were spicy, a woody hint came into play in the first third as well. The smoke was not quite as voluminous as the initial draw, but was decent.

Second Third (Holes 5-7): The cigar went extremely spicy at this point, it also started burning even more unevenly, requiring touch ups as well as constant attention. The flavors were not really the most appealing and not very complex, but I do enjoy a spicy stick from time to time, so I didn't condemn it for its flavors.

Third Third (Hole 8): The burn was still uneven, and even this early in the Churchill sized cigar, the temperature was almost unbearably hot. I decided to duck rocket it into the lake on the 8th (and spark up an Illusione 888, much better choice).

Overall: The particular Perdomo Golf Edition that I had looked good and had some nice spice, but these things couldn't overcome the uneven burn and the inconsistent volume of smoke. I will give this cigar one more try (had a 5 pack) before I toss the others, but I think for golfing you should choose something other than the Golf Edition :).

nozero
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the review w/pictures! I've not become a Perdomo fan so far, but hey that's me. Good luck with your next one.
:tu

Volt
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
And to think they killed the SG and the Cameroon to bring this stick out :(

DougBushBC
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Heh... my thoughts exactly... I almost asked Mr. Billy Perdomo about that when he was in my B&M a week ago or so!

tuxpuff
05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Great review thanks! The only good Perdomo I had was the 1991 ESV...which was exceptionally tasty.

BlackDog
06-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I smoked one of these tonight, although mine was the bellicoso size, 6" x 54. Mine burned very well, and had nice coffee and cedar flavors. I'd buy more if the price was right.

DougBushBC
06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Glad you liked it, I really wish I had...

BlackIrish
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Great review, Doug.

The only good Perdomo I had was the 1991 ESV...which was exceptionally tasty.

The ESV is quite tasty. I've liked some other Perdomos, too, including the Perdomo Habano and the Edicion de Silvio.

darkninja67
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Nice review. I really like the Habano Corojo line out of all the Perdomos.

longknocker
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Try another one, Doug. I smoke a variety of sticks on the Golf Course, and I've found the Perdoma Golf Edition to usually have a great burn & OK taste. Good Luck!:tu