PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Cameron...Worth it?

Mugen910
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
So I've been looking at putters online to replace my no name $20 mallet. I started noticing the prices of some putters that are IMHO outrageous. What is it that makes a Scotty Cameron putter so damn expensive? For those of you who have one, is it worth it?

Rockestone
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
My father in law is into golf as much as I am into cigars. He has owned several Scotty Camerons and currently uses one. He also tells me...If you can't putt, then you can't putt and no putter will change that.

md4958
05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
My Cameron is the best putter Ive ever used.

I would rather have a $300 putter, than a $300 driver. Remember you use your putter on EVERY hole.

Mugen910
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
That's why I'm looking into a real putter bro. :D If I had known anything about golf when we played I woulda asked to borrow your putter. :tu

Again, what is it about these putters that warrant the price?

longknocker
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
My father in law is into golf as much as I am into cigars. He has owned several Scotty Camerons and currently uses one. He also tells me...If you can't putt, then you can't putt and no putter will change that.
Not quite true. I've always been a terrible putter, but have gotten much better since I started using a "Seemore" Mallet. Expensive $300+, but putting is much more important than driving, so why not spend as much on your new putter as your driver? Try different models out at Edwin Watts or PGA Superstore & find one you like!:tu:2

longknocker
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
That's why I'm looking into a real putter bro. :D If I had known anything about golf when we played I woulda asked to borrow your putter. :tu

Bao: The more expensive putters have more "Feel" to them. "Feel" is so important in your putting stroke. Some golfers like a softer feel of the ball coming off the putter face, others like a firmer feel. Like I said, try them all out. Good luck!:tu

md4958
05-03-2009, 06:38 PM

my putter would have been too long for you :r:r

I dont know how to answer that question so ill tell you this. Go to Golfers Warehouse, or Ill take you to Fran Johnsons when next time youre down here.

Putt with a dozen different putters, two at a time. Take your favorite from each "round" then pair off the favorites, two at a time. Until finally you end up with one putter.

Take that putter and pair it up against one of the Cameron models that you like. See which one feels better. If the $50 putter feels better than the $250Cameron, then you know that its not worth it for you.

I dont know what it is about the cameron putters, but the "feel" when you strike the ball is the best I've encountered.

ToddziLLa
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Have you tried Odyssey yet? I'm a fan of the White Hot series. I have an XG Sabertooth and love the way it feels and lines me up when I'm putting.

karmaz00
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
well being a golf pro....i would say there one of or the best putter ever designed...there balance and spec that they can build them to you is insane....and like said above....you use your putter on every hole , and driver around 15-20%.....remember golf is over 60 % inside 80 yards...i guess to answer if there worth it...yes, i do believe they are.

Mugen910
05-04-2009, 06:55 AM
well being a golf pro....i would say there one of or the best putter ever designed...there balance and spec that they can build them to you is insane....and like said above....you use your putter on every hole , and driver around 15-20%.....remember golf is over 60 % inside 80 yards...i guess to answer if there worth it...yes, i do believe they are.

:confused:

I don't get this statement?!?

md4958
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
:confused:

I don't get this statement?!?

60% of your shots are going to be within 80 yards of the cup... iincluding putts.

skibumdc
05-04-2009, 08:32 AM
There are 2 things to consider.
1) Choose the putter that feels the BEST to you.
2) You have this club in your hand MORE THAN ANY OTHER CLUB IN YOUR BAG.

People gladly shell out $300+ routinely for a driver just to possibly get 10 more yards, where as they skimp on a putter.
You use driver at most 14 times per round.

Unless you are tiger(except at yesterdays Quail Hollow 4th round) you putt more than 18 times per round GUARANTEED. Probably 25+ times per round.

Try as many as you can on multiple trips to a shop.
Best bet?

skibumdc
05-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah....want money well spent?
Take a putting lesson and get a solid putting stroke.

Mugen910
05-04-2009, 08:38 AM
You mean I can't just watch youtube all day and play better? :c

gettysburgfreak
05-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I use a taylor made nubbins and love it, it has a nice feel to it. I also use a Ping putter and love it.

Junior
05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I was a putter junky at one time. I have owned about every major brand out there, but one day I got a hold of a Scotty Cameron Detour. I had been using a Ping CrazE until I got it. I don’t think there is a more solid putter than a Cameron. Each one is milled not cast so I think they spend more hands on time with them which turns out a better product in my opinion.

Mugen910
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I was a putter junky at one time. I have owned about every major brand out there, but one day I got a hold of a Scotty Cameron Detour. I had been using a Ping CrazE until I got it. I don’t think there is a more solid putter than a Cameron. Each one is milled not cast so I think they spend more hands on time with them which turns out a better product in my opinion.

Thanks Shankapotomus. :r

taltos
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Little Tykes makes one for much less money and the shaft is possibly not too long for you.:fu

Mugen910
05-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Little Tykes makes one for much less money and the shaft is possibly not too long for you.:fu

*ignores old man*

Junior
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I will share two tips that greatly improved my putting. 1. Take three boards and set them up like the picture. That will make you use the pendulum swing, and not get handsy with it. 2. This is the most important thing I can’t emphasize it enough go practice, practice, and then practice some more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/junior897/Drill.jpg

Do drills the two that I use are 1. Put a tee in the ground 3 foot, 6 foot, and 10 foot from the hole, and start from the three and once you have made 10 in a row move back to the next one. 2. Do lag put drills just start back about 15-20 feet and try to get the ball in a 3 foot circle around the hole. Once you get the 20 footer down work your way back. I have to do these drills a lot as my short game has gone to pot since the birth of my boys.

This one may not be a tip, but when I get in a putting funk I switch out putters for a little while. I just lose confidence in the one I have, and gain a little more over a new one.

Mugen910
05-04-2009, 09:41 AM
10 in a row? I'd be outside all week waiting for that to happen. :r

rizzle
05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
60% of your shots are going to be within 80 yards of the cup... iincluding putts.

60% of my shots come from within the woods.

Cigary
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM

I've had just about every kind of putter there is and I have a collection of them. Putting is something that is a state of mind,,confidence in your state of mind,,,mechanics,,speed,,judgment. I have a Scotty Cameron as well and for the price I wish I had the money back and bought a box of great cigars instead. I have taken 4 putters to the greens to see which one putts the best and I took 2 robustos. Here is what I found,,,when I putted without a cigar I tend to putt too short or too long. When I smoke a cigar I am within 2-4 inches from the hole on a 20 foot putt. Moral of the story: Use a balanced putter and have a good cigar so that you can relax. I have an old acushnet putter that I bought 20 years ago and it putted just as well as the Scotty Cameron. State of mind and confidence in your putt,,,,that is how you do it.

chippewastud79
05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Get a used one from a 2nd Swing Golf or similar store. A lot of the time a store (even a 2nd hand store) will let you play with them and return them within 14 days if you don't like it. Granted, it means you can throw them in the lake or wrap them around a tree that way. :tu

smitdavi
05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Bao I've got a Nike OZ Mallet Putter that I really like. I think I spent $100 on it. To me it has that feel. Might be worth a shot to try out.