PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I had a thread on CS about Sleep Apnea and it seemed to help a few guys get a better understanding of what it is and the risks involved by avoiding treatment.

I wanted to start one here if anyone has questions or just want to make comments about their progress.

Sooooooo hi, my name is Al and I have sleep apnea.
I think I had it for years prior to being diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago. What a life changing thing for the better knowing and treating this affliction. No more snoring, feel rested and more energy.

Always here or PM if I can help. Getting this treated can save your life.

All the best,
Al

MedicCook
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello my name is Ryan and I have sleep apnea.

I have the machine but I never use it. I was unable to get a comfortable feeling for the mask. When I was in EMS and sleeping on the couch during the day my fellow crew members use to keep track of the time between breaths. I think I would average 1 breath ever 30 seconds and maxed out at 1 every 50 seconds. During my sleep study my O2 sats were in the low 80's. Not very good.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello my name is Ryan and I have sleep apnea.

I have the machine but I never use it. I was unable to get a comfortable feeling for the mask. When I was in EMS and sleeping on the couch during the day my fellow crew members use to keep track of the time between breaths. I think I would average 1 breath ever 30 seconds and maxed out at 1 every 50 seconds. During my sleep study my O2 sats were in the low 80's. Not very good.

You sleep on your back or side? How many different style masks have you tried?

MedicCook
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
You sleep on your back or side? How many different style masks have you tried?

I usually sleep on my stomach & side. I tried the nose pillow during the sleep study but that was a disaster. Then I moved to the full face mask and could never get to sleep on my back and when I would wake up in the early morning in that dazed state I would start to have clausterphobia still being partially asleep and not being able to get the mask off. The only reason I did the sleep study was for the ex-gf and now that she is gone there is no reason to worry about it.

BeerAdvocate
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
My father in law has sleep apnea really bad, but refuses to get a sleep study and wear any type of mask while sleeping. He has it so bad, he falls asleep and snores mid sentence. Then wakes himself up when he begins to shake and gasp for air.
I am still determined to force him to go to the Dr.

*I work for a medical equipment supplier and a majority of our business is CPAP equipment.
If anyone has any questions about masks, machines, supplies....let me know.

PeteSB75
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
My name is Pete and I have sleep apnea.

I'm sure I had it for years before I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. My ex-wife bugged me for quite some time to get tested. I never did until after we split and my mom said something to me when I stayed at her house the following christmas.

Been using CPAP with nose pillows every night since I got it. Gotta say, it's made a HUGE difference in every aspect of my life. Feeling more rested, my head has been much clearer, I have more energy, so I have been able to exercise, lost about 40 lbs. In general, my quality of life is worlds better than it was before. And that is not just due to no longer being with my ex, though that definitely helps :ss

Cyanide
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow, running sats that low are not good for you, especially over the long haul. You are kind of leading a path towards stiffening the blood vessels in your lungs (pulmonary hypertension). That isn't all that bad in and of itself (at least to the extent it occurs in OSA) but it does lead to an increased risk of right heart failure. The OSA is probably also dramatically increasing your average blood pressure.

If you can't tolerate the BiPAP or CPAP machines, maybe there are surgical options available (such as cutting out the uvula and part of the soft palate of the posterior mouth cavity)?

I personally alleviated my OSA issue by dropping 30 lbs, but that was my solution...and may not be a part of your issue or solution.

Cheers

John

PeteSB75
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I usually sleep on my stomach & side. I tried the nose pillow during the sleep study but that was a disaster. Then I moved to the full face mask and could never get to sleep on my back and when I would wake up in the early morning in that dazed state I would start to have clausterphobia still being partially asleep and not being able to get the mask off. The only reason I did the sleep study was for the ex-gf and now that she is gone there is no reason to worry about it.

you understand the risks associated with untreated apnea? It's not just about snoring. That is the symptom most associated with it, but not even the primary effect.

BTW, you might want to check into what mask they actually had you use during the sleep study. Mine was a triangle mask that covered most of my nose and between my eyes and made me feel pretty claustrophobic. The nose pillow is pretty small and unobtrusive and very different from the study mask. http://www.mysleepapnea.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=464 is what I have - I got it through my DME supplier just by asking for a different mask. I am also a side/stomach sleeper as well as having a goatee (facial hair is a problem with some masks) and this works great for me.

kaisersozei
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
My name is Gerard and I might have sleep apnea.

In all likelihood I do. I'm scheduled for a split study in a few weeks. I've been plagued with snoring & apnea events for years, and finally decided to do something about it. Had a consult last week. I have to say, my wife is extremely pleased that I'm finally doing something--I think she is affected by it more than me!

Smokin Gator
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
My name is Brent and I have sleep apnea.

I definitely had it for several years but didn't really know anything about it. Then a couple of years ago my BBQ competition partner got a CPAP. He absolutely swore by it and bugged my until I went and got a sleep study. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but I was waking myself an average of something like 150 times an hour.

The hardest thing for me was getting used to sleeping on my back as I was always a stomach sleeper. My wife got me a Temperpedic (sp) pillow that has this ridge for your neck/head and that made a big difference. I feel so much better, have so much more energy, and my blood pressure is down considerably.

I will not ever sleep without one... it just isn't worth it.

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
My name is Ferdinand and I have severe sleep apnea.

I use a cpap machine that helps me a lot.

Tripp
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
My name is Tripp, and I too think i might have sleep apnea.

For all of my adult life, I"ve had low energy problems, and have trouble even staying up late. I'm only 25, am in good shape, and usually hit the sack around 11, even on weekends, and have a hard time staying up too much later. My girlfriend had told me that I tend to "hold my breath" for up to a few minutes when sleeping, which is what tipped me off that I might have sleep apnea. I'm planning on seeing a doctor about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
My name is Tripp, and I too think i might have sleep apnea.

For all of my adult life, I"ve had low energy problems, and have trouble even staying up late. I'm only 25, am in good shape, and usually hit the sack around 11, even on weekends, and have a hard time staying up too much later. My girlfriend had told me that I tend to "hold my breath" for up to a few minutes when sleeping, which is what tipped me off that I might have sleep apnea. I'm planning on seeing a doctor about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Classic symptoms Tripp. Please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and schedule a sleep test.

Keep us posted please.

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
don't wait Tripp.

Sure, the first couple of weeks you'll have some problems adjusting to sleeping with a mask, but after that your energy levels will increase and life will get so much more enjoyable.

icehog3
04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
My name is Tom and I have sleep apnea.

Diagnosed 4+ years ago, I had the somnoplasty (surgery) twice, and it improved my condition but did not cure it. Had the option for a 3rd surgery, and declined based on the horrible after effects of surgery #2.

May go the the mask at some point, but my symptoms and blood pressure are much improved so I won't be doing it any time soon.

Brent, I would love a link to the pillow you speak of when you get a chance.

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
my doctor (and my own internet research) advised me not to go with surgery as the chance the symptoms would go away are not high and would be only temporarily. That's why I went with the respironics cpap.

SmokeyJoe
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I have sleep apnea and have been using the cpap for about a year.

Adjusting to the mask has really not been a problem and I am so much more alert and full of energy.

What prompted me was going to the funeral of a 38 year-old guy who was pretty healthy overall... that died of sleep apnea. Made my appointment within a month. No looking back...

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
i must admit, the first couple of years I wasn't using my cpap regularly, used it for weeks, then used it not for weeks untill Al posted the topic on CS. I posted my irregular use and a few botl's, including Al and Conch, told/begged me not to play Russian roulette with my life. Been using my cpap ever since and I will even bring it with my on my US trip next month.

icehog3
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
my doctor (and my own internet research) advised me not to go with surgery as the chance the symptoms would go away are not high and would be only temporarily. That's why I went with the respironics cpap.

True, the surgeon advised me the surgery only has a 60% success rate...not great odds. I was lucky enough to have my apnea reduced significantly, at least for the last 4 years.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I used to have the mask that only covered the nose. Then I turned into a "mouth breather" so I went to the full mask. I really don't mind it however with a goat I do have air leak issues that I wished I didn't have. If anyone knows of a full face mask that works well with a goat please provide link.

Just got my new bi-pap machine. Very nice and much more quiet than the old model.

Happy breathing everyone!

Cyanide
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
And certainly the surgical options shouldn't be the first option, by any means.

There is a spectrum of treatments. If the plan systematically moves through and evaluates the individual benefits of each option in the plan, then you are bound to reap the full benefits. Thus, surgical consideration has its place in any plan regarding OSA. But, what I commonly say is: "Surgery is a non-reversible treatment though...Once changed, the anatomy can never change back (not entirely true)", so certainly explore all other reversible therapies first.

Explore all options when the time is right. But exploring them doesn't mean committing to them. Each person will find their optimum therapy if they keep looking.

Cheers

John

azherfer
04-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi, my name is David, and I had sleep apnea.

It nearly cost me my life and my mind. I gained a significant amount of weight and at one point was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. I could barely function on my job and nearly lost it. I suffered mini-seizures which caused ruptures on my right cornea.

Sleep apnea is not a joke. During my sleep study, I scored one of the worst results tested at that facility. For many years I knew I had a problem, and I let it go. One night, I woke up unable to breathe and went into a severe panic because my brain wasn't telling my lungs to function. That was the final straw.

14 months ago I underwent Gastric-bypass surgery and as of today, I've lost 200 pounds. My sleep apnea is cured, my hypertension is cured, and my memory and cognitive skills are back to where they were at the age of 25. I am in top physical shape and weigh less than I did when I graduated high-school.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Congrats to you David and thanks for sharing.

G G
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi my name is Greg and my doctor said I don't have sleep apnea, not sure how he knows without any testing. I used to wake up in the the night gasping for breath. It was almost like I was dreaming and in the dream I would know I needed to breathe, and finally wake up and just be gasping for breath. I haven't had that happen in a long time now. Not sure just thought I would share.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
You need to have an overnight sleep study done to be sure.

:tt

Made the appointment yet? :tt

Smokin Gator
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Does anyone else run their CPAP dry. I have from the very beginning. I keep a glass of water by the bed and most nights I will wake up around 3:00 and get a sip of water.

Cyanide
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Congrats David, that is a scary story with an apparently happy ending.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Does anyone else run their CPAP dry. I have from the very beginning. I keep a glass of water by the bed and most nights I will wake up around 3:00 and get a sip of water.

I have a humidification device on mine. Can't imagine not having it.

G G
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
You need to have an overnight sleep study done to be sure.

:tt

Made the appointment yet? :tt
Nope. Like I said it's not happened in a couple years now.:tu

azherfer
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
What's truly sad is that sleep apnea is the most un-diagnosed illness and yet is causes so many others. My father suffered with Parkinson's disease for many years before his death and I've lost other family members who've suffered from Alzheimer's. All snored like freight trains. Had they known then what I know now, they might be alive today.

The short and sweet is, sleep apnea ultimately results in the loss of oxygen flow to the brain. Repeat that enough times and I think you get the picture.

Smokin Gator
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I have a humidification device on mine. Can't imagine not having it.

Mine has the humidification chamber... I just don't put any water in it.

The guy who did my sleep study has been doing them for a long time. He told me to try it right from the start without water. He said if I didn't mind it that way it was good. He said there are more problems with cleaning and lung infections when you used humidity.

Maybe it is easier in Florida since our humidity is high most of the time anyway.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Nope. Like I said it's not happened in a couple years now.:tu

Does not matter. You don't have to be woken up to have it. Most times your brain wakes you up just enough to get started again and you never know it.

Schedule the test please.

Emjaysmash
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi, I'm MJ and I probably have/will have apnea.
My father has it, both my Grandpa and Grandma have/had it, as I'm sure a few other in my family I may not know about. I'm 19, and I dont really know about what the usual age it is for having sleep apnea...I'm thinking about getting tested in the summer.

ahc4353
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Mine has the humidification chamber... I just don't put any water in it.

The guy who did my sleep study has been doing them for a long time. He told me to try it right from the start without water. He said if I didn't mind it that way it was good. He said there are more problems with cleaning and lung infections when you used humidity.

Maybe it is easier in Florida since our humidity is high most of the time anyway.

I started out that way but moved to the humi as I got very dried out.

azherfer
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
One other thing I like to mention to people is another angle that may actually be the cause of sleep apnea in men, and that is low testosterone levels. I had my checked just prior to my bypass surgery and I didn't even register on the chart. The side affects of low testosterone and sleep apnea are eerily similar. My PC physician warned me years ago that it was low and stupidly I ignored him and my sleep apnea, weight gain, and other issues may have come from that.

I now take testosterone injections weekly and my physical being has changed completely. I sleep well, I have boundless energy, my metabolism is perfect, and my sex life has improved dramatically.

I would offer to anyone the suggestion that at your next appointment, have the doctor order a T-panel and see what your level is. After the age of 30, your T-count starts dropping rapidly as the body starts producing less.

G G
04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Does not matter. You don't have to be woken up to have it. Most times your brain wakes you up just enough to get started again and you never know it.

Schedule the test please.
I gotta go in soon and I will talk to my Doc about it Al.

PeteSB75
04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
One other thing I like to mention to people is another angle that may actually be the cause of sleep apnea in men, and that is low testosterone levels. I had my checked just prior to my bypass surgery and I didn't even register on the chart. The side affects of low testosterone and sleep apnea are eerily similar. My PC physician warned me years ago that it was low and stupidly I ignored him and my sleep apnea, weight gain, and other issues may have come from that.

I now take testosterone injections weekly and my physical being has changed completely. I sleep well, I have boundless energy, my metabolism is perfect, and my sex life has improved dramatically.

I would offer to anyone the suggestion that at your next appointment, have the doctor order a T-panel and see what your level is. After the age of 30, your T-count starts dropping rapidly as the body starts producing less.
I didn't have my testosterone tested, but I will say without any hesitation that my sex drive is monumentally higher than it was before I started on the CPAP. It wasn't quite driven home to me until I woke up one morning after starting the CPAP and was surprised when I realized how long it had been since my last morning wood. That was before I started exercising and lost the weight, leading me to attribute it to the treatment rather than anything else.

Smokin Gator
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I didn't have my testosterone tested, but I will say without any hesitation that my sex drive is monumentally higher than it was before I started on the CPAP.

I'll second that:tu:tu

BigCat
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I have sleep apnea. I'm 27 and probably need to drop 30 pounds, but noting too major. My wife bugged me to get tested not long after we got married. I have been using it for almost two years now and it is going very well. The mask is not attractive, but I definitely feel better and once I got used to it, it became almost pavlovian for me - I put it on and I go out quickly. I use a hybrid mask that has nasal pillows and covers my mouth. I tend to be claustrophobic, but this doesn't give me any trouble. Also, if I position my pillow just right, I can actually sleep on my stomach with this mask, which is how I always preferred to sleep pre-apnea. This is a relatively recent discovery for me and I love it. I was doing ok sleeping on my sides, but my shoulders started to hurt.

I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who has symptoms and has not been tested to get tested, and those that have been diagnosed to find a way to make the CPAP work for you. It is an extremely serious disorder that is relatively easy to manage once you get past those couple weeks of discomfort with the mask. I bet you will even sleep better during those few weeks than you do on any night when you don't wear the mask.

BigCat
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM

I have used it dry for a period of time and did fine with it, but decided I liked it a little better with water. The nasal pillows I use stay a little more moist with the water and don't irritate my nose as much. I had some irritation when it was just dry air.

BigCat
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi my name is Greg and my doctor said I don't have sleep apnea, not sure how he knows without any testing. I used to wake up in the the night gasping for breath. It was almost like I was dreaming and in the dream I would know I needed to breathe, and finally wake up and just be gasping for breath. I haven't had that happen in a long time now. Not sure just thought I would share.

My doctor told me he doubted I had it too, but he still sent me to see a specialist because I insisted my wife wasn't making it up that I was stopping breathing for 30 seconds at a time. When I had my sleep study I stopped breathing about 500 times and they almost came in and woke me up at one point because I didn't breath for about 45 seconds. I'd ask your doctor for the referral or get another doctor.

RGD.
04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi! My name is Ron and I've gone 10 years now without a drink . . . ummm, sorry - I mean without sleep apnea.

I had it so bad that I preferred to just stay awake for days at a time because I hated to go to sleep. If I looked hard enough I could probably find the test results with the amount of time I quit breathing, how long for, etc etc. It was very scary. The doc said I could move to the Pacific and dive for pearls with no problems.

Anyway - I had the surgery. I now sleep all through the night - and day if allowed - LOL. A freight train would not wake me up. After the surgery my wife use to do a breath test on me because she said she could not tell if I was still breathing - that's how quiet and in a deep sleep I was.

So for me - the roto-rooter surgery worked out excellent.

As for front, back or side sleeping - I had to sleep on my back for so long - I still can't/don't know how to sleep on my stomach. Either the side or back.

Ron

skullnrose
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Damn this threads filling fast you sure their is no connection between cigar smoking and sleep apnea;) On a more serious note my sleep apnea subsided do to my recent weight loss. DR still wants me to have the tests done but for now I'm putting it off. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this medical condition.

ade06
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the info, I didn't realize this was so common. When did you all start noticing there was a problem? Any ideas what caused it or it's preventable?

G G
04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
My doctor told me he doubted I had it too, but he still sent me to see a specialist because I insisted my wife wasn't making it up that I was stopping breathing for 30 seconds at a time. When I had my sleep study I stopped breathing about 500 times and they almost came in and woke me up at one point because I didn't breath for about 45 seconds. I'd ask your doctor for the referral or get another doctor.
Well I guess the reason I havent thought about it in a few years now cause it hasn't happened and the wife hasn't noticed anything for that long either. Did you have no symptoms?

uncballzer
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm Richard and I'm your future pulmonologist!

My father has it, both my Grandpa and Grandma have/had it, as I'm sure a few other in my family I may not know about. I'm 19, and I dont really know about what the usual age it is for having sleep apnea...I'm thinking about getting tested in the summer.

You can have it at 19. Most of the guys above aren't too much older than you; and I've seen a couple patients that were younger or just a tad older. So if you think it's a problem, definitely check up on it.

icehog3
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Damn this threads filling fast you sure their is no connection between cigar smoking and sleep apnea;) On a more serious note my sleep apnea subsided do to my recent weight loss. DR still wants me to have the tests done but for now I'm putting it off. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this medical condition.

I had it before I started smoking cigars on a daily basis, for what it's worth, Scott.

Thanks for all the info, I didn't realize this was so common. When did you all start noticing there was a problem? Any ideas what caused it or it's preventable?

I would never have even gotten tested in my ex hadn't been so angry about my snoring. A man with sleep apnea and a woman with sleeping problems are not a good combination. ;)

RGD.
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
. . . When did you all start noticing there was a problem?

I actually thought that I had insomnia. After several years I finally asked the Doc for some sleeping pills - which he gave me - which didn't work of course. So when I went back and told him they were worthless - he sent me to the Ear, Eyes and Nose people who figured it out rather quickly.

Ron

ReggieFSULaw
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I have a mild form of sleep apnea. I use a cpap. Doc says I'd probably be fine if I dropped some serious weight. Working on it, but the cpap helps in the meantime.

BigCat
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Well I guess the reason I havent thought about it in a few years now cause it hasn't happened and the wife hasn't noticed anything for that long either. Did you have no symptoms?

No, I snored like a lord and my wife would find me not breathing for a while and then having my chest heave as I tried to catch a breath. But I didn't have high blood pressure, etc., which are the kinds of symptoms which are readily measurable. I think I misread your post though. I must have stopped reading at the "it hasn't happened in a long time" part. My bad. I would imagine your wife would notice if you were exhibiting signs of it, especially if she noticed it a few years ago.

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM

Don't just think about it and don't wait till summer.

Don Fernando
04-27-2009, 11:56 PM

my (now ex)girlfriend noticed it and told me to get tested.

kaisersozei
04-28-2009, 06:12 AM
I had it before I started smoking cigars on a daily basis, for what it's worth, Scott.

I would never have even gotten tested in my ex hadn't been so angry about my snoring. A man with sleep apnea and a woman with sleeping problems are not a good combination. ;)

QFT x2

I've probably had it since college. Just about every roommate, girlfriend, wife and child of mine have complained about my snoring :rolleyes: I just chalked it up to, "Well, I snore, wtf...?!" Runs in my family--my dad, brother, even my mom are big snorers. Plus, I don't fit the typical body profile or exhibited other symptoms that guys with sleep apnea usually have.

It wasn't until I took seriously the concerns of my current wife, who is a light sleeper, that I decided to get checked. She said she has to shove me a few times each night to "jump start" my breathing. Now I have a sleep study scheduled for May 14th and we'll see what the clinical data shows, although I am already anticipating the outcome: cpap for me.

ahc4353
04-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm so glad everyone has stepped in and told their stories and offered encouragement. To all that have not had a sleep study please do so and soon. Keep us all updated on your progress. This is such a simple thing to improve the quality of life for your and those that love you.

ahc4353
04-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Anyone scheduled their test yet? :tt

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Any updates? Who has scheduled their test? Come on boys lets get this done.

kelmac07
05-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey guys, Mike here and I have sleep apnea...I was diagnosed about 9 months ago as a result of my beautiful wife of 20 years kicking me and sick of sleeping with her Ipod on. I use my CPAP faithfully...but I feel no different waking up than I did before the CPAP. I always felt rested, just thought I snored (like a bear as the wife says).

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome Mike. :D

No difference? WOW. First person I have ever heard say that. :hm

awsmith4
05-05-2009, 08:34 AM
My ultimate problem is my weight and i am working o that, with that said has anyone used one of the moth pieces offered on tv? I am looking for a temp solution until I finish shedding the pounds

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 08:47 AM
No experience with those Albert sorry.

So your sleep study doctor said lose some weight and all will be ok? :confused:

awsmith4
05-05-2009, 09:18 AM
No experience with those Albert sorry.

So your sleep study doctor said lose some weight and all will be ok? :confused:

That and get my broken nose fixed, until then I was looking for a cheap fix so I don't have to sleep in the yard :D

awsmith4
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
That and get my broken nose fixed, until then I was looking for a cheap fix so I don't have to sleep in the yard :D

Let me clarify, I have a small fracture on the inner part of my nose that has been there for years. When I quit smoking cigarettes 3.5 years ago I gained close to 50lbs and that is apparently the leading cause of my snoring and the break just adds to the noise.

LordOfWu
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
My name is Mert, and today is 3 weeks post-op for tonsillectomy, reshaping the soft palette, fixing a deviated septum and reducing the turbinate glands in my sinuses. In my sleep study I was found to have 124 apnea events per hour, so my breathing interrupted twice a minute, and my oxygen was down at about 82. I am quite claustrophobic, so pretty much couldn't sleep in any mask...and the cpap had to be turned up so high I panicked because I felt I couldn't exhale, so that led to surgery. Well, that and the fact that my tonsils were 3 and 4 times larger than normal.

As of right now, only three weeks in and still not fully recovered from surgery, I am not snoring, my sinuses are clear and I am actually dreaming again (I couldn't remember the last dream I had before surgery). I would say that the first two weeks were the most miserable thing in my entire life, and I have a history of kidney stones, so I know a little something about being miserable. If you can live with the cpap, do so, cause tonsillectomy and the soft palette reshaping is about the worst thing an adult can go through and not be life threatening, imho.

I am looking forward to this weekend, my first cigar in about 4 weeks!

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Let me clarify, I have a small fracture on the inner part of my nose that has been there for years. When I quit smoking cigarettes 3.5 years ago I gained close to 50lbs and that is apparently the leading cause of my snoring and the break just adds to the noise.

So to clarify, you have not had a study and you are only going on Doc Albert's diagnosis. Correct?

jkim05
05-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I went to a medical conference years ago and one of the sessions was on sleep disorders. At the time sleep apnea seemed like one of the strangest problems I'd ever heard of and never thought it would affect anyone I knew. Turns out it's a lot more common than I thought; my dad just had his sleep study last night. I'll let you guys know how it went once I find out and if there's any questions he has.

awsmith4
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
So to clarify, you have not had a study and you are only going on Doc Albert's diagnosis. Correct?

Went to the Doc he just sent me to an ENT and the ENT looked me over and gave me that diagnosis. I asked both about a sleep study and neither thought it necessary. Just going on my doctors diagnosis ;)

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Went to the Doc he just sent me to an ENT and the ENT looked me over and gave me that diagnosis. I asked both about a sleep study and neither thought it necessary. Just going on my doctors diagnosis ;)

Do me a personal favor, ask your lovely wife to watch you sleep for an hour or so. If she says you stop breathing AT ALL, EVEN ONCE get a new doctor. K?

kelmac07
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Al...yeah go figure! Every one says they notice the difference with the CPAP machine right away. Doctor says I may not notice it, but I am getting better sleep. So gotta take the doctors word and continue to use the CPAP. Wife enjoys sleeping without her Ipod. Funny thing is, now I notice her snoring...LOL!!

awsmith4
05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Do me a personal favor, ask your lovely wife to watch you sleep for an hour or so. If she says you stop breathing AT ALL, EVEN ONCE get a new doctor. K?

Will do, I really did try to get a study done. I may just get a new doc and insist anyways. I almost left anyways after that SOB said I might need to stop smoking cigars and drinking bourbon :D

dentonparrots
05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I used to wake up in the the night gasping for breath. It was almost like I was dreaming and in the dream I would know I needed to breathe, and finally wake up and just be gasping for breath.

I have that EXACT same thing happen to me fairly regularly..think I'm choking and wake up in a panic, :confused:
I have it whether I've had an alchoholic drink or not and I'm a fairly fit-ish guy, 32yr old, 5' 7" (nearly 5' 8"!) and 137lbs.

Did you ever go to the docs about it?

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I have that EXACT same thing happen to me fairly regularly..think I'm choking and wake up in a panic, :confused:
I have it whether I've had an alchoholic drink or not and I'm a fairly fit-ish guy, 32yr old, 5' 7" (nearly 5' 8"!) and 137lbs.

Did you ever go to the docs about it?

I'm not a doctor but I bet you have it. Get a study done soon and prove me wrong please.

BigCat
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
My name is Mert, and today is 3 weeks post-op for tonsillectomy, reshaping the soft palette, fixing a deviated septum and reducing the turbinate glands in my sinuses. In my sleep study I was found to have 124 apnea events per hour, so my breathing interrupted twice a minute, and my oxygen was down at about 82. I am quite claustrophobic, so pretty much couldn't sleep in any mask...and the cpap had to be turned up so high I panicked because I felt I couldn't exhale, so that led to surgery. Well, that and the fact that my tonsils were 3 and 4 times larger than normal.

As of right now, only three weeks in and still not fully recovered from surgery, I am not snoring, my sinuses are clear and I am actually dreaming again (I couldn't remember the last dream I had before surgery). I would say that the first two weeks were the most miserable thing in my entire life, and I have a history of kidney stones, so I know a little something about being miserable. If you can live with the cpap, do so, cause tonsillectomy and the soft palette reshaping is about the worst thing an adult can go through and not be life threatening, imho.

I am looking forward to this weekend, my first cigar in about 4 weeks!

Thanks for that story, it is interesting to hear about the other types of treatment available. I weighed the possibility of having the procedure you did, but chickened out after reading stories about how bad it was and how there was no guarantee that it would work completely. Sounds like the pain part of those stories was accurate. Of course, my biggest worry popped up when I read some people complaining of loss of taste due to the clamp they use to hold your tounge down. I couldn't bear the thought of not enjoying my cigars anymore, so CPAP for me! I wish you luck in your recovery. I'd love to hear updates as you progress.

Nabinger16
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi... My name is Trent and I have severe sleep apnea. I now realize I've had sleep apnea since I was a young child. I've always snored excessively and always had trouble staying awake while in school. I had a sleep study done about a year ago which revealed an AHI of 97 in a 4 hour sleep sample. According to the tech, I actually stopped breathing over 400 times for varying durations during the 4 hour sample. My SpO2 dropped to a low of 74%. After the official diagnosis I was placed on CPAP with a relatively low pressure of 8. I had a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum about 7 months ago, and was switched to APAP post surgical.

Now... I would pity the poor fool that would have the grapes to attempt to take my APAP!! I've had 100% compliance since I've been able to tolerate it after the surgery. I use a ResMed Micro Mirage mask with complete success. My AHI is down to 3.4. I haven't fallen asleep while driving since my diagnosis/treatment. I have a ton more energy, and my fiance's absolute favorite... I don't snore!!! I look at my life as before CPAP and after CPAP. Sleep apnea is truly a life altering condition that most people that have it, don't even realize they suffer from it. You don't realize how bad it is until you can experience life without it.

ahc4353
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi... My name is Trent and I have severe sleep apnea. I now realize I've had sleep apnea since I was a young child. I've always snored excessively and always had trouble staying awake while in school. I had a sleep study done about a year ago which revealed an AHI of 97 in a 4 hour sleep sample. According to the tech, I actually stopped breathing over 400 times for varying durations during the 4 hour sample. My SpO2 dropped to a low of 74%. After the official diagnosis I was placed on CPAP with a relatively low pressure of 8. I had a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum about 7 months ago, and was switched to APAP post surgical.

Now... I would pity the poor fool that would have the grapes to attempt to take my APAP!! I've had 100% compliance since I've been able to tolerate it after the surgery. I use a ResMed Micro Mirage mask with complete success. My AHI is down to 3.4. I haven't fallen asleep while driving since my diagnosis/treatment. I have a ton more energy, and my fiance's absolute favorite... I don't snore!!! I look at my life as before CPAP and after CPAP. Sleep apnea is truly a life altering condition that most people that have it, don't even realize they suffer from it. You don't realize how bad it is until you can experience life without it.

Thank you for sharing your success story Trent. Getting treatment really does make a huge impact on your life!

LordOfWu
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that story, it is interesting to hear about the other types of treatment available. I weighed the possibility of having the procedure you did, but chickened out after reading stories about how bad it was and how there was no guarantee that it would work completely. Sounds like the pain part of those stories was accurate. Of course, my biggest worry popped up when I read some people complaining of loss of taste due to the clamp they use to hold your tounge down. I couldn't bear the thought of not enjoying my cigars anymore, so CPAP for me! I wish you luck in your recovery. I'd love to hear updates as you progress.

I haven't noticed a loss of taste, but I didn't have the most refined palette before the surgery either! The pain thing...yep, absolutely as bad as they say...I've had a 7mm kidney stone, and this was pretty much dead even with that! Bottom line is, you gotta do something about it if you have it. Good for you that the CPAP worked, that's clearly the better option!

BigCat
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I haven't noticed a loss of taste, but I didn't have the most refined palette before the surgery either! The pain thing...yep, absolutely as bad as they say...I've had a 7mm kidney stone, and this was pretty much dead even with that! Bottom line is, you gotta do something about it if you have it. Good for you that the CPAP worked, that's clearly the better option!

Well if you are cured and don't have to use CPAP, that is definitely a better option. I'm used to the CPAP now and it helps a lot, but it definitely makes it tough to sleep close to my wife, who is bothered by the exhaust air. It is a little bit of a downside. As you said though, we gotta do something about it.

Enjoy that first cigar!

eber
05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Hello my name is Erik and I probably have sleep apnea,

I am in the process of scheduling a sleep study (getting the doctors referral and all that stuff) I already called the sleep institute and after they get the papers from the Doc. I will be in for a study next week. :tu

icehog3
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Good luck Erik! :tu

Cenookie
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi, my name is Claude. I've had sleep apnea for a little over 5 yrs now. I don't remember the exact #'s of my last sleep study 3 yrs ago, but I remember they were bad. I started using a CPAP but could not find a mask that was comfortable enough to allow me to sleep thru the night. I would wake up fiddling with the tubes, or develop a leak. I stopped using the CPAP 2 yrs ago as a result of this. I don't think I want to go the surgery route. My problem with the different masks is that I'm a stomach sleeper and could never get comfy on my back. Funny that this post started because I'm scheduled for another sleep study on the 13th, and reading all the posts makes me remember how serious this is. I hope they've come up with new head gear that will address my problem with not being able to sleep on my back. If any one has, or had the problem with head gear, a heads up on what gear you use would appreciated.

PeteSB75
05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm generally a side/stomach sleeper. I've been using nasal pillows with no issues for a couple of years now. This (http://shop.talkaboutsleep.com/?action=item.display&category=nasal-pillows-masks&page=10161) is the mask I use.

ahc4353
05-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Hello my name is Erik and I probably have sleep apnea,

I am in the process of scheduling a sleep study (getting the doctors referral and all that stuff) I already called the sleep institute and after they get the papers from the Doc. I will be in for a study next week. :tu

Good luck Erik and keep us posted!

Hi, my name is Claude. I've had sleep apnea for a little over 5 yrs now. I don't remember the exact #'s of my last sleep study 3 yrs ago, but I remember they were bad. I started using a CPAP but could not find a mask that was comfortable enough to allow me to sleep thru the night. I would wake up fiddling with the tubes, or develop a leak. I stopped using the CPAP 2 yrs ago as a result of this. I don't think I want to go the surgery route. My problem with the different masks is that I'm a stomach sleeper and could never get comfy on my back. Funny that this post started because I'm scheduled for another sleep study on the 13th, and reading all the posts makes me remember how serious this is. I hope they've come up with new head gear that will address my problem with not being able to sleep on my back. If any one has, or had the problem with head gear, a heads up on what gear you use would appreciated.

So glad to read you're going to give it another shot. :dance:
Please keep us posted!

Junior
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Gang I am afraid that my wife has sleep apnea. At night I can hear her taking long pauses between breaths, and she snores really bad, and wakes up tired most days. I can’t convince her that she may have an issue. Any ideas on how I can convince her that she needs to get checked out?

BigCat
05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Gang I am afraid that my wife has sleep apnea. At night I can hear her taking long pauses between breaths, and she snores really bad, and wakes up tired most days. I can’t convince her that she may have an issue. Any ideas on how I can convince her that she needs to get checked out?

I suggest doing a little research about the affects of apnea and then present them to her. Increased blood pressure, risk of stroke, heart attack, thickening of heart walls, etc. That might scare her into it. I also know there are a couple of CPAP forums which I've linked below where people discuss the night and day difference between how they felt before and how they felt after CPAP started. Those types of threads are usually stickied, so they shouldn't be hard to find. If she is always tired, she may be intrigued by the possibility of not being tired if she gets checked out. If not, visiting the sites may give you more information you need to really press upon her. Good luck! It's an important cause.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html?sid=923a83c8677e07c8bebdb10f1ac586c3

http://www.apneasupport.org/

Junior
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
She is just convinced it is because of the weight that she put on after having our children. It does scare me. Just the thought of anything happening to her. I will let her know about the forums, and try to get her to take a look at them. I have also been thinking about recording her sleep with a hope that she hears what I do.

Emerald
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
She is just convinced it is because of the weight that she put on after having our children. It does scare me. Just the thought of anything happening to her. I will let her know about the forums, and try to get her to take a look at them. I have also been thinking about recording her sleep with a hope that she hears what I do.

Junior... I am a woman, a mother, a wife, and I SWEAR, just reading this forum made me eager to find out if I had it. I called hubby and asked them if I had a normal sleep and, apparently, I do. My best tip, for your situation, is to suggest your wife to read this entire thread.... and if trhe scary stuff doens't convince her, the amazing love in your tone and your genuine concernes about something happening to her WILL convince her. Gee... I almost cried....

Junior
05-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Junior... I am a woman, a mother, a wife, and I SWEAR, just reading this forum made me eager to find out if I had it. I called hubby and asked them if I had a normal sleep and, apparently, I do. My best tip, for your situation, is to suggest your wife to read this entire thread.... and if trhe scary stuff doens't convince her, the amazing love in your tone and your genuine concernes about something happening to her WILL convince her. Gee... I almost cried....

Thank you I will try to get her to read it tonight. Wish me luck. I don't know what I would do with out her.

ahc4353
05-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Tell her you love her and you want to spend many, many years together. Then ask her to get tested "for you".

If that doesn't work make an appointment, tell here your taking here to lunch and deliver here at the doc's office! :D

azherfer
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
If any one has, or had the problem with head gear, a heads up on what gear you use would appreciated.

This is the only mask that I could get comfortable with and honestly, after several months, I hardly noticed it anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Puritan-Benett-Breeze-SleepGear-Pillow/dp/B000RQBXEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1241717472&sr=8-2

ahc4353
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
So I thought I would keep a list of who needs to schedule their test. This way all of us that are treating our Apnea can hound those that aren't until they do. All confirmed apnea people please feel free to send reminder PM's on a regular bases to the following. :D

mediccook - Ryan
eber - Eric
beeradvocate - Travis - (Father-In-Law)
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
jkim05 - Jeremy - (Dad - awaiting results)
junior - (wife)

Please update the list with the date of your scheduled test. :tu

Well? What are you waiting for? Get going! :tt

kaisersozei
05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
mediccook - Ryan
eber - Eric
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard May 14
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife)

Yo, I'm psychic--mine was scheduled before the thread started!

I was planning on posting up some pictures next weekend once it's all done, just to give folks an idea of what the test is like.

G

MedicCook
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I already have the equipment I just don't use it. :r

ahc4353
05-08-2009, 08:29 AM
eber - Eric
dentonparrots - Carl
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife)

Updated List. :)

Well, I'm disappointed but it's your life. :(

BeerAdvocate
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Im giving my father in law an oximeter to wear over night to see what his O2 stats drop to. I am hoping he can take the report to his doctor and that Dr will see how bad his sleep apnea is, and just bypass the sleep study and prescribe him a CPAP.

ahc4353
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Im giving my father in law an oximeter to wear over night to see what his O2 stats drop to. I am hoping he can take the report to his doctor and that Dr will see how bad his sleep apnea is, and just bypass the sleep study and prescribe him a CPAP.

Good idea Travis. Hope it works. :)

Let us know.

Nabinger16
05-08-2009, 10:46 AM

He will still have to go through some form of titration study for the CPAP. I can't really see a physician skipping the sleep study entirely though, but every doctor is different so who knows. The important part is he seeks the treatment he needs.

Best of luck! A new life could be on the horizon for your father-in-law.

BigCat
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM

They will still need to determine what CPAP pressure setting is necessary through a study, so he won't be able to skip it entirely. You could save him one of the two trips though.

One thing I hadn't mentioned before but should have is that my dad actually had the studies conducted at home. They came out and set everything up before bed, and returned in the morning to get all the equipment, data, etc., so he could do it from his own bed. One of the most unpleasant parts of the sleep study is sleeping in the lab (though they do a nice job of making it kind of like a bare-bones hotel room as opposed to a hospital). If you can avoid that aspect, perhaps some of you who are reluctant to go through with the process will give it a shot.

BeerAdvocate
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
They will still need to determine what CPAP pressure setting is necessary through a study, so he won't be able to skip it entirely. You could save him one of the two trips though.

Some doctors (around here anyway) will have the patient skip the sleep study all together, and prescribe them a Bipap machine that has a vairable pressure setting. I work for a medical supply company and sometimes Dr's will send a patient over with his O2 sats and an RX for a Bipap machine.
It just depends on how bad their sats are.

kayaker
05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I think I'll get this checked out when I get back home. My wife thinks I may have an issue, but I don't have problems with my sleep. I do snore, but I don't ever recall waking up short of breath. I'm mostly a side sleeper, and sometimes sleep on my back.

However, if there is a potential issue, I want to get it taken care of ASAP.

Don Fernando
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM

nothing funny about that Ryan.

Don Fernando
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I think I'll get this checked out when I get back home. My wife thinks I may have an issue, but I don't have problems with my sleep. I do snore, but I don't ever recall waking up short of breath. I'm mostly a side sleeper, and sometimes sleep on my back.

However, if there is a potential issue, I want to get it taken care of ASAP.

Ian, I never noticed waking up with gasping for breath, even though I have severe apnea, so that is no indication.

kaisersozei
05-14-2009, 07:18 AM

Tonight's the night--depending on how tired I am tomorrow :o I'll post up some "educational" information & pictures for those of you who are being evaluated or considering an evaluation.

eber
05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
I have a consultation scheduled tomorrow with the sleep wellness institute, then an appointment for the study will be made

ahc4353
05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Tonight's the night--depending on how tired I am tomorrow :o I'll post up some "educational" information & pictures for those of you who are being evaluated or considering an evaluation.

Good luck!

I have a consultation scheduled tomorrow with the sleep wellness institute, then an appointment for the study will be made

Great news!!

jkim05
05-14-2009, 09:36 AM
My dad finally got his results, I'm not sure of all the details, but I think he said he got a 99 so he does in fact have sleep apnea.

Nabinger16
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
My dad finally got his results, I'm not sure of all the details, but I think he said he got a 99 so he does in fact have sleep apnea.

If he had an AHI of 99 he does indeed have some pretty severe sleep apnea. Anything over 30 is considered severe.

Junior
05-15-2009, 12:22 PM
My wife read thru this thread, and is now going to talk to her doctor.

ahc4353
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Your post just made my day. I have a huge smile right now. Tell your wife, thank you, from me.

Keep us posted please.

eber
05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I had my consultation today and scheduled my sleep study for 5/26, they showed me the sleep rooms and WOW they are nicer than my bedroom at my apartment :ro

Updated List:

eber - Erik (5/26)
dentonparrots - Carl
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife)

kaisersozei
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I went in for my study Thursday night. Thought I would chronicle my experience for those of you thinking about this.

The sleep center is part of my doctor’s office, and I arrived there just before 10pm. The sleep tech took me back, got my vitals and then escorted me back. The room itself was very comfortable, complete with an adjustable bed, flat panel DirectTV and a well appointed private bathroom. There was also an infrared camera mounted high up on the wall (kinky,) a voice activated intercom system, the clinical monitoring device & associated electrodes (seen on the bed in the picture below,) and a CPAP machine tucked away in the nightstand.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/kaisersozei/Sleeplab.jpg

Once I got settled in and changed into my sleeping clothes (you can’t sleep nude…. so what's the purpose of the camera?) the tech returned to hook me up. The monitoring device itself looks like this:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/kaisersozei/Lab_controller.jpg

The diagram on the device gives you an idea of all the electrodes and where they are placed. I don’t know how many were attached to my scalp—a lot--but there were also electrodes on my calf muscles, an EKG heart monitor, one on my throat, two on my chin, one next to each eye, and a nasal canula with a breathing sensor. I also had elastic bands around my chest and stomach. All of the electrode leads were pulled out of the way and collected up behind me, so they weren’t as obtrusive as I expected. Once I was hooked up, the tech made me get right into bed so she could test the equipment. I didn’t have a chance to take any pictures. Lucky me. Or lucky you.

The night before my study I stayed up later than normal and I was restricted from drinking caffeine after noon on Thursday, so I ended up being much more tired than normal. Fell asleep pretty quickly and only woke up once in the night. I had to sleep on my back or side, but wasn’t nearly as restricted in my movements as I thought I’d be. The head & face sensors felt a little awkward but not painful. I felt like Pinhead. I was also concerned about the room being too quiet or too hot (we have a floor fan in our bedroom that runs constantly for white noise & air circulation,) but it was very comfortable. Was also surprised when the tech called in to the room at 6:30 to wake me up—I normally get up at 5:30. I felt better than I expected when I awoke.

This was supposed to be a split-night study, meaning that if the tech witnessed apnea episodes, she would come in and hook me up to the CPAP and continue to monitor me. She didn’t do that, and wouldn’t tell me why, but did say that she saw some things on my study which “the doctor will discuss” with me. Whatever that means, probably that they’ll want to bring me back in for a second full night with the CPAP. Or perhaps the apnea she saw wasn't severe enough for CPAP. We’ll see.

I also found this short video that does a better in demonstrating what goes on in sleep studies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZTzrVGSOvw

In my former professional life, I set up a number of sleep centers as hospital businesses. I knew what to expect as a patient, but I was still anxious to undergo the study. Turns out it really wasn’t that bad. Maybe my experience will help take away some of your concerns.

skullnrose
05-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for sharing you experience. It's always nice to know as much as possible before going into something like this.

nozero
05-16-2009, 08:56 AM
First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to all who have replied thus far. I've found this to be very informative.

I was advised to go to a local sleep clinic a year or three back, but when I found out it costs at least my $250 annual per person deductable and I needed to have a colonoscopy as well, I opted for the latter. Perhaps I'll schedule an appointment in the near future.

I snore a lot and currently use Breath Rite strips that seem to help a little. I often wake up two to four time a night, but most often at least once around 02:30 - 03:00. I have some lower back issues as well and frequently switch from left to right side during the evenings rest. I'm not a very sound sleeper and when I travel, which is very seldom, I have much difficulty sleeping through the night, often waking up hourly or more. I don't know that I could sleep well or at all in a clinic regardless of the setting and comforts.

Again, thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

Respectfully,
Michael

kelmac07
05-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Great pics Gerard...my sleep study clinic wasn't that nice (plush recliner). But equipment looked identical. When do you find out your results?

ahc4353
05-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for sharing you experience. It's always nice to know as much as possible before going into something like this.

:tpd:

First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to all who have replied thus far. I've found this to be very informative.

I was advised to go to a local sleep clinic a year or three back, but when I found out it costs at least my $250 annual per person deductable and I needed to have a colonoscopy as well, I opted for the latter. Perhaps I'll schedule an appointment in the near future.

I snore a lot and currently use Breath Rite strips that seem to help a little. I often wake up two to four time a night, but most often at least once around 02:30 - 03:00. I have some lower back issues as well and frequently switch from left to right side during the evenings rest. I'm not a very sound sleeper and when I travel, which is very seldom, I have much difficulty sleeping through the night, often waking up hourly or more. I don't know that I could sleep well or at all in a clinic regardless of the setting and comforts.

Again, thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

Respectfully,
Michael

Seeing people getting the info, helping a family member, going for their tests or getting info for a more comfortable head set truly makes me smile. I really do hope you can get your test soon. I have traveled a lot with my sons hockey over the years and I never leave home without my machine.

I need to post up some travel tips for the traveling Apnea members. :hm

Thank you for the very nice PM.

ahc4353
05-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Updated List:

eber - Erik (5/26)
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard TEST DONE! AWAITING RESULTS! :dance:
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife) - Read thread and is going to schedule test! Great news!
nozero - Michael

tchariya
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
My name is Tom and I have sleep apnea.

Diagnosed 4+ years ago, I had the somnoplasty (surgery) twice, and it improved my condition but did not cure it. Had the option for a 3rd surgery, and declined based on the horrible after effects of surgery #2.

May go the the mask at some point, but my symptoms and blood pressure are much improved so I won't be doing it any time soon.

Brent, I would love a link to the pillow you speak of when you get a chance.

Folks,

Tom is an example that sleep apnea can happen to anyone. The majority of the sufferers are people that are overweight.

I am overweight...morbidly obese as a matter of fact and I have obstructive sleep apnea. I primarily sleep on my back. I am congested almost every night if I don't use some sort of nasal spray or decongestion medication. Recently I have adjust my sleep style and sleep on my side. (I place something annoying behind me just i ncase I roll on my back to wake me up or readjust my position) This had made a huge difference and the loved ones have noticed less snoring and I have had a deeper sleep. But I know I have to shed lbs as additional treatment to reverse my OSA.

t.

tchariya
05-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Those are nice pics of your sleep study.

The infra red camera in the ceiling monitors any movements that would correlate to any episodes you might have during the night.

They should have taken you through steps to calibrate the monitor. Wiggle your feet..your hands...your head ...etc etc.

I had 92 sleep episodes avg per hour.

kaisersozei
05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Well fellas, my doc called this morning to review my test results.

Turns out that I do have sleep apnea. It's not severe in its frequency (avg 17 episodes/hr,) but it is rather dramatic when it occurs: my O2 sats fall to 84%. :( Apnea is more prevalent when I'm sleeping on my back, and during the second half of the night during my deepest "dream sleep." Which is exactly why my wife pressured me to investigate this in the first place. Guess she knew what she was talking about...!

Next steps are to complete a CPAP titration study. This is the same set up as last week's evaluation, just hooked up to a CPAP for the night. The tech will then adjust the pressure to determine the right setting to correct my problem. Once that's completed, it will be off to home health to get my own equipment.

It's hard to capture my emotions about all this right now. On the one hand, I'm glad to have been diagnosed and am actively seeking treatment for this problem. As my wife & I discussed, it might explain a lot that's been going on with me in the last 6 months or so. Maybe longer. On the other hand, I'm anxious about this life-changing diagnosis and what it will mean. At the ripe young age of 46, I'm getting set in my ways. And this will definitely be a change. I suppose it will be a change for the better, but it will still require an adjustment. My family tells me that I'm kind of a stubborn old guy. "Old dog, new tricks" and all that stuff.

Oh well.

Hopefully I'll be a positive influence for some of you guys reading this. I never would have pursued testing if my "sleep partner" hadn't pointed it out in the first place. That seems to be a big influence a lot of times in making these diagnoses. As I said before, I don't fit the body profile of your typical apnea patient, although I suspected that there was some inherited trait. That I just ignored. Probably for too long.

In any event, I'll post up more once my second study is completed.

BeerAdvocate
05-18-2009, 12:33 PM
My father in law completed his Oximetry test this weekend. He dropped all the way to 67% at one point, and spent around 40% of the night below 90%.
Needless to say, this convinced him and he is contacting his Dr.

ahc4353
05-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Gerard, I was a couple of years younger than you when I found out. All it means is you sleep with a mask of some sort and you feel a hell of a lot better when you wake up! :D Plus little things like you live longer and the wife sleeps better. :D

It's a change for the better trust me.

Congrats for having the courage and the open mind to do the testing.

Anything we can do going forward just let us know.

ahc4353
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
My father in law completed his Oximetry test this weekend. He dropped all the way to 67% at one point, and spent around 40% of the night below 90%.
Needless to say, this convinced him and he is contacting his Dr.

That is great news Travis!!

:dance:

kelmac07
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I have been using my CPAP for almost a year now...everyone says you will wake up refreshed and feeling great. I feel the same, no better, no worse, then before the use of the CPAP. i use it religiously, every night. Wife sleeps a lot better, but I still don't see the great improvement everyone speaks of.

ahc4353
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear that Michael. Before my study and getting on the machine I would wake up and be so tired it was hard to stand up.

Maybe your settings are off. Any chance for another study to check if your pressures? I know have a study done every three years to check for changes.

eboniknight
05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about three years ago. I never used my CPAP faithfully until the last year or so. I sleep much better and snoring is about zero (according to the wife). I use the nasel pillow and definitely with water. :tu

BeerAdvocate
05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I have been using my CPAP for almost a year now...everyone says you will wake up refreshed and feeling great. I feel the same, no better, no worse, then before the use of the CPAP. i use it religiously, every night. Wife sleeps a lot better, but I still don't see the great improvement everyone speaks of.

Have you had your mask,cushions, tubing,filters replaced in the last year. If not, you might be experiencing some leaks. Or you may need your pressure changed. Ecspecially if you have lost weight since you 1st got your CPAP.

ahc4353
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Any updates?

billyrayvalentin
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. During my sleep study my oxygen levels dropped down into the 50's. I've apparently had it for a while. My wife diagnosed me with it a while ago, but I didn't take it seriously.

I've had blood pressure issues for a while, but I never felt any symptoms of high blood pressure. My blood work always turned out ok, and I never had any cholesterol issues or anything so the doctors just gave me medication and sent me on my way. I haven't had a regular doctor since I was a child. I always went to a walk in clinic.

A few months ago I started having these spells where I would be short of breath and feel faint. It only happened a couple of times and never lasted long so, again, I didn't take it seriously. Then, one night it hit me again and it didn't go away. The wife drove me to the emergency room and my blood pressure was at 200/105. An EKG turned out fine as well as some blood work. My blood pressure went down a bit after a while. They couldn't determine what caused the episode and told me to go see my doctor the next week.

I went to the walk in clinic a few days after. They upped the dosage on my blood pressure meds and referred me to a regular doc. After a short interview with the new Doc he was pretty sure I had sleep apnea and it was causing my blood pressure issues. He referred me to a sleep clinic.

It turns out my wife was right. I've been on my CPAP 2 1/2 weeks and my energy level is noticeably higher. I haven't had anymore of those spells. My blood pressure has maintained in check with the help of medication. Hopefully I'll be able to get off of the medication soon. All-in-all, I just plain feel better.

I was originally fitted with a full face mask as I am a mouth breather. I think it's the mirage quattro. I've been having problems with leakage during the night. It's started waking both me and my wife. I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?

BigCat
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?

I have it and think it is great. I believe they come in small and large and I use the small even though I have a big face. It was actually what I was sent by my DME and I thought it was going to be a problem at first, but I gave it a try and it fits. I do make one slight modification though to the nasal pillows - it wrap them in dental floss to pull them a little closer together. Without that, I was getting leak problems with the pillows flaring out of my nostrals a bit and that was annoying. A little dental floss and I was all set. I think its a great mask. And I had the hybrid before it and found that decent, but not as good as the liberty for me. What works for you will depend on your face, the pressure you are set at, etc. My pressure is at a 10.

ahc4353
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Links or pics to the models you use would be a big help for those looking.

With a gotee I have leak issues. Interested in options for those of us with goats. :SS

I'm a mouth breather as well so not sure if pillows will work for me. What is this "mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask" you speak of? Any links or pics?

Thanks for all the info!

Nabinger16
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm glad to hear you are on track to a new life!!! Keep up with the CPAP and just remember.... PERSEVERANCE!!! CPAP tends to seem overwhelming at first, but once you find the right combination of masks and sleeping positions you will have a new life! I know this from experience.

I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?

I used the Liberty for one night and did not like it at all, but I personally can not tolerate any form of a full face mask. I was a mouth breather all of my life, but I've found the Micro Mirage nasal mask works best for me. The full face masks tend to put too much pressure in my mouth. When I woke up, it always felt like I was trying to blow up a tight balloon all night.

Good luck and keep trying all kinds and brands of masks until you find something that is comfortable and usable.

Nabinger16
05-26-2009, 02:26 PM

>>ResMed Mirage Liberty (http://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum=2513&Image=Mirage-Liberty-Full-Face-CPAP-Mask-with-Nasal-Pillows-front.jpg)<<

BigCat
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM

With a gotee I have leak issues. Interested in options for those of us with goats. :SS

I'm a mouth breather as well so not sure if pillows will work for me. What is this "mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask" you speak of? Any links or pics?

Thanks for all the info!

http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-masks-bipap-masks/mirage-liberty-full-pillow-cpap-mask-resmed.html

Here you go!

ahc4353
05-27-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-masks-bipap-masks/mirage-liberty-full-pillow-cpap-mask-resmed.html

Here you go!

Thanks for the link. Never knew they made such a mask. Never done the pillows, seems like they would "hurt" but might try it to get away from the full mask.

Thanks again.

Edit: Adding a thought.

Maybe I should ask what type works best for a mouth breather with a goat? Any thoughts on this?

kelmac07
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Michael. Before my study and getting on the machine I would wake up and be so tired it was hard to stand up.

Maybe your settings are off. Any chance for another study to check if your pressures? I know have a study done every three years to check for changes.

Just saw the doc two months ago...told him I didn't feel any different. He checked everything and said I was fine. I didn't feel tired before the CPAP machine...wife says I feel better, I just don't know it...now that she doesn't have to hear the grizzley bear every night!!!

Junior
05-27-2009, 11:00 PM

She is going to the doctor on Thursday. I will update when I know something.

kelmac07
05-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Thumbs up to the Mrs!!

eber
06-04-2009, 06:21 PM
well I had my sleep study and I was diagnosed with "severe sleep apnea" I had 85 respiratory issues per hour. I must say that the sleep study sucked, it felt like I was awake every hour. I have the CPAP machine now and I will have my first night with it tonight.

kelmac07
06-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Good luck with it Erik...hope it makes you feel well rested.

PeteSB75
06-05-2009, 07:16 AM
well I had my sleep study and I was diagnosed with "severe sleep apnea" I had 85 respiratory issues per hour. I must say that the sleep study sucked, it felt like I was awake every hour. I have the CPAP machine now and I will have my first night with it tonight.

Good luck man. It might well take you some time to get used to using it. You will also see the biggest results within the first 2-3 weeks. It's amazing how much more rested I am than before I was being treated.

ahc4353
06-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Updated List:

eber - Erik Tested - Sever Apnea - Has his machine!!!
dentonparrots - Carl
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
nozero - Michael[/QUOTE]

kaisersozei
06-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Came across an interesting feature in today's Washington Post, thought I'd share:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/12/AR2009061203267.html?hpid=smartliving

Don Fernando
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM

http://avon.verzorgingsproducten.info/pics/scheermesje2-avon.jpg

:ss

kelmac07
06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I use my CPAP just fine with my goatee...just have to test it every now and again to ensure the seal is tight. Does your machine self test?

ahc4353
06-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I use my CPAP just fine with my goatee...just have to test it every now and again to ensure the seal is tight. Does your machine self test?

Ummmmm :confused:

Junior
06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
My wife is going in for her sleep test tonight.

ahc4353
06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
My wife is going in for her sleep test tonight.

Please tell her congrats from me!!

Anyone else have any updates? :tt

SmokeyJoe
06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the link. Never knew they made such a mask. Never done the pillows, seems like they would "hurt" but might try it to get away from the full mask.

Thanks again.

Edit: Adding a thought.

Maybe I should ask what type works best for a mouth breather with a goat? Any thoughts on this?

I use the nasal pillow... works well with my beard/goatee. The wife says I was a mouth-breather when I slept prior to getting the machine. I have always had a deviated septum and some congestion issues that caused me to breathe through my mouth when asleep.

Since getting the machine, I don't breathe through my mouth anymore. The positive pressure of the air has opened my nasal passages enough that I don't need to open the mouth. Plus, the mask seems to "encourage" me to keep my jaw closed. Not in an uncomfortable way, but it does help.

The nasal pillow:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/Revtiger/Personal/nasalpillow.jpg

Hope you find something that works, bro! :tu

Tenor CS
07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
My name is Christian and I have sleep apnea.

I went to a well-regarded ENT and told him about my sleep difficulties. My wife often noted that I choke or gasp in my sleep. The ENT ordered a 2-part sleep study. I have completed both parts and have my follow-up with the ENT tomorrow. I'm guessing he will order me to get a CPAP machine.

We'll see what happens next.

Tenor CS
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Saw the doc today. I have mild/moderate apnea. My RDI was 10.3. My lowest O2 saturation was 86%, which was the number that disturbed him. I should have my CPAP machine in less than 2 weeks.

On a positive note, he said that with the CPAP machine plus losing weight (I am severely overweight, almost 375 lbs at a height of 5'8") I will be able to avoid surgery. They also scoped my nose and throat and found normal anatomy. No polyps, ulcers or lesions. A little bit of allergy-related redness, but nothing to worry about. Oh, and I have a deviated septum because of breaking my nose so many times in wrestling.

kelmac07
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Christian...don't you just love doctors?

Tenor CS
07-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Christian...don't you just love doctors?

Actually, I lost my teaching job and am currently on Cobra. I'm trying to get as much medical stuff done as possible while I can afford it, since I've already met my deductible. I've had 4 surgeries in 5 months, stocking up on my BP and thyroid meds, got allergy tests and the sleep studies done.

The thing that SUCKS for me is that because of the surgeries (which were on a tender area,) I am in horrible pain and can't exercise even though I want to. There are times when literally every step is agony. I'm practically living on Vicodin and muscle relaxers. I see that doc tomorrow.

kelmac07
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear about all the pain...good news is you will be healthier after all is completed!!! Wishes and prayers your way Christian!!

Gargoyle
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Just had a fun MRI of the brain today. Sleep apnea does complicate things even when you are awake! I have trouble breathing without the CPAP and lying on my back without moving for 45 minutes was a real joy. Plus, no anxiety meds because that would slow the breathing too much and complicate an already challenging situation!!

Yay for sleep apnea!

kelmac07
07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Just had a fun MRI of the brain today. Sleep apnea does complicate things even when you are awake! I have trouble breathing without the CPAP and lying on my back without moving for 45 minutes was a real joy. Plus, no anxiety meds because that would slow the breathing too much and complicate an already challenging situation!!

Yay for sleep apnea!

I feel you on that...wife had an MRI last week...1 hour and 45 minutes..."don't move, watch your breathing", while the machine makes ungodly noises (wife said it sounded like it was falling apart). Hope I never need one of them!!

Don Fernando
07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
I hate MRI's, when I had my MRI when they tested me for my apnea I had my first and only panic attack I ever had.

kelmac07
07-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I don't think I would be cooperative inside a metal tube...at all!!

itsme_timd
07-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Wow, I've read through a lot of the posts here and maybe I need to look into my sleep apnea treatment again.

I have a CPAP and a full-face mask, I hate it. I used it nightly when I was married but got divorced last year and quit. I had leaks around the mask, even after trying several masks, and I don't recall feeling any better using it. It did stop my snoring but that's the only thing I know that it did for me.

However, here lately I've been feeling pretty drained. I attributed it to stress (like the divorce and some other things) but I see a lot of the way I feel may be a result of the sleep apnea.

I spend a lot of my day yawning, I never feel rested, energy is low... my biggest concern is my inability to get focused - my head just feels foggy or staticky, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the thread, I'll definitely need to look into this some more.

kelmac07
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
This thread has been quiet for about a week now...any updates???

Junior
08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Well I should have put this update in a long time ago, but time has slipped by. My wife picked up her CPAP machine on Wednesday last week. It is an adjustment for her getting used to having it, but she seems to be sleeping better. She also noticed that she has more energy now as well.

I first thought when she was prescribed the CPAP that I would need to start sleeping with earplugs again, but you can barely notice it running.

She spoke with one of our son’s therapist, and her husband is now scheduled for a sleep study as well.

One last thing. She is now wearing a mask that covers her nose, but it is uncomfortable is there a better option?

Emjaysmash
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
small up date: my twin brother went in for a sleep study and came out with a machine. I'm making my appointment for next week sometime...

kelmac07
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Well I should have put this update in a long time ago, but time has slipped by. My wife picked up her CPAP machine on Wednesday last week. It is an adjustment for her getting used to having it, but she seems to be sleeping better. She also noticed that she has more energy now as well.

I first thought when she was prescribed the CPAP that I would need to start sleeping with earplugs again, but you can barely notice it running.

She spoke with one of our son’s therapist, and her husband is now scheduled for a sleep study as well.

One last thing. She is now wearing a mask that covers her nose, but it is uncomfortable is there a better option?

I wear the full "pilot" mask that covers nose and mouth. I found it more comfortable than the one that just covered up my nose (because I would open my mouth and damn near suffocate form the air rushing in). Does it just cover her nose? Have her try the mouth/nose covered (if she can)...she will be a lot more comfortable.

small up date: my twin brother went in for a sleep study and came out with a machine. I'm making my appointment for next week sometime...

Way better to be safe than sorry MJ!!!

BigCat
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Here you go!

Check out the link I posted earlier to the mask I use. It doesn't cover the nose - just goes into it and covers the mouth. I find it works great for me.

Junior
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I wear the full "pilot" mask that covers nose and mouth. I found it more comfortable than the one that just covered up my nose (because I would open my mouth and damn near suffocate form the air rushing in). Does it just cover her nose? Have her try the mouth/nose covered (if she can)...she will be a lot more comfortable.

Way better to be safe than sorry MJ!!!

Yes the one she wears is the one that covers just her nose. I will have her talk to the the company, and try the full face one.

Thanks BigCat I will have her take a look at it.

Tenor CS
08-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I had my follow up with the ENT and they told me I would be getting a CPAP machine. I need to call, as I have not heard from the CPAP people yet.

CIGma_Chi
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

My name's Jeof and ... uhm ... please place me in the camp with the people who think they MIGHT have sleep apnea.

So here are the potential tipoffs for me:

I snore ... loudly ... my wife has to roll me over onto my side to get me to stop.

Sometimes, my breathing "catches" during the night for a few seconds and I usually gasp to restart, followed by more snoring and rolling over onto my side.

Not often, but sometimes I wake up literally gasping for air with the feeling that my chest has just been sat on by an elephant.

That being said, while I am tired during the day, I don't lack for energy. I eat normally and am in decent shape, having been athletic most of my life. (I've run a marathon and lifted weights for a while before we had kids ... still play golf and basketball) I usually don't go to bed until 1:00 or 2:00 am and have to be up at 5:30 or 6:00 for work with the usual ill effects of not getting enough sleep. To compound this though, I have a one year old daughter who isn't the best sleeper :)

Luckily there is a Sleep Center right in my town and I've begun inquiring about getting looked at ... just need to make sure insurance covers it.

Thanks for the thread!

ahc4353
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm glad it helped!

Keep us posted please. :)

kelmac07
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Better safe that sorry Jeof. I had all the same symptoms as you.

Tenor CS
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Got my CPAP today. All of the functions of the machine were explained to me. I got the nasal pillows mask. Tonight will be my first night sleeping with it. We'll see how it goes!

Drazzil
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I have sleep apnea. I cannot sleep on my back at all. I often wake up in the middle of the night with an out of breath feeling and often wake up in the middle of the night feeling like a bomb went off next to my bed. Its gotten about a hundred percent worse in the last six months and the fact that I have no health insurance and little money means no cpap or medical treatment for me.

kelmac07
08-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Got my CPAP today. All of the functions of the machine were explained to me. I got the nasal pillows mask. Tonight will be my first night sleeping with it. We'll see how it goes!

Good luck Christian...the first night is the roughest, it's all downhill after that one.

Tenor CS
08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
An hour later, can't fall asleep. Back spasms. Dunno if one has anything to do with the other, though.

Tenor CS
08-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Dangit, now after 1:30 AM, still can't sleep. This sucks.

Tenor CS
08-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Last night did not go well. Took the mask off after a few hours of fighting it. Might try to get the Quattro full face mask. That's the one I used during my sleep study at the clinic.

It's very hard for me to NOT open my mouth during sleep. I find, when using this nasal pillow mask, that if I open my mouth, the choking sensation is unbearable.

azherfer
08-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Back spasms are chest soreness are some of the initial side affects of the CPAP. Imagine that your basically inflating yourself non-stop throughout the night. They do subside, but in my case, the pressure they initially assigned me was just way too high at 14. It's not an exact science. I self-adjusted down a few until I found a pressure that not only didn't cause the soreness, but also kept my mouth from blowing open while I slept. I used the nose pillows too, and it took a good week or more to get completely comfortable, and then I didn't notice it at all.

ahc4353
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I used to have high pressures and I found it slammed my mouth shut. Now with lower pressures I had to go to a full face mask as the lower pressures would not keep my mouth shut and I didn't want to wear that stupid head band thingy.

azherfer
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
It's very hard for me to NOT open my mouth during sleep. I find, when using this nasal pillow mask, that if I open my mouth, the choking sensation is unbearable.

Which machine were you given? Does it have Bi-flex with it? Bi-flex allows you to break pressure by opening your mouth without that overwhelming intake of air that chokes you.

Here's the machine I was given and it was best thing going at the time.

http://bipapplusmseries.respironics.com/

Gargoyle
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Do any of you have difficulties snorking? I know I'm missing out on a ton of the overall smoking experience because it is so hard to get the smoke flowing smoothly. I thought it was just me (probably is!), but do you think the changing in the breathing mechanics with the CPAP could affect this?

ahc4353
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Do any of you have difficulties snorking? I know I'm missing out on a ton of the overall smoking experience because it is so hard to get the smoke flowing smoothly. I thought it was just me (probably is!), but do you think the changing in the breathing mechanics with the CPAP could affect this?

If it does I'm luck as I'm not affected by it Patrick.

PeteSB75
08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Not caused me any problems at all. If anything, my nose is generally clearer for being blasted with warm, moist air every night, so snorking is quite easy.

Tenor CS
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Which machine were you given?

It is made by Respironics. Series M, I believe. It is not a Bipap machine. My pressure is set at 14 as well. My machine has a "ramp" button that I am supposed to use when I first put it on. It drops the pressure to 4, then over the course of 15 minutes, it gradually ramps up to 14.

azherfer
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
It is made by Respironics. Series M, I believe. It is not a Bipap machine. My pressure is set at 14 as well. My machine has a "ramp" button that I am supposed to use when I first put it on. It drops the pressure to 4, then over the course of 15 minutes, it gradually ramps up to 14.

14 is pretty high pressure, at least it was for me. I was big guy then, so the pressure of my lungs being fully expanded against my chest wall hurt and I'd be sore all day. I found out how to change the pressure myself and dropped it down to 10 and had no problems after that. Once I had surgery and lost the weight, I had the pressure down to 4 and then just stopped it all together.

azherfer
08-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Not caused me any problems at all. If anything, my nose is generally clearer for being blasted with warm, moist air every night, so snorking is quite easy.

This is one feature I miss after stopping the use of my CPAP. For the entire time I used it, which was just over a year, I had no colds, no sinus problems, no phlegm in the back of my throat in the morning. I actually continued using the machine even though I didn't need to because I just got addicted to how great it felt having that mask on.

Tenor CS
08-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Night #2, still can't get used to it. Had to take the mask off to fall asleep. If I hit a week without it working, I'm switching masks.

kelmac07
08-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Night #2, still can't get used to it. Had to take the mask off to fall asleep. If I hit a week without it working, I'm switching masks.

Christian...I started out with a mask similar to the one you're using and could not fall sleep either. After the first night, I called the doc to switch masks. Go with the full face mask and you will sleep like a baby. Don't wait a a week. Just my :2

Tenor CS
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Kelmac, at the sleep study center, I used a mask called the Quattro. Image here (http://www.cpapmaskstore.com/images/ResMed-Mirage-Quattro-Full-Face-CPAP-Mask-Profile.jpg). I fell asleep ok, but by the 5th-6th hour of the study, the sensor they clip to your finger to monitor your Oxygen levels felt like it was being squeezed in a vice grip. It was way too tight. That night was not a good night of sleep.

I had heard good things about the nasal pillows on here, so I suggested maybe I try that one. The one I have is called the Opus. Image here (http://www.cpapscience.com/images/Opus-Pillow-Mask-Profile.jpg).

The girl who gave me my CPAP orientation suggested I wait a week or so before I switch masks. I have also been given Flonase spray to open the nasal passages, which has helped.

kelmac07
08-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Christian...here is the mask I switched to over a year ago and have no issues at all.

http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-masks-bipap-masks/mirage-quattro-full-face-cpap-mask-resmed.html

I switched masks the second day...I could not fall asleep and called them the next morning. The next day, I was there swapping masks. Hope all pans out for ya.

eber
08-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I have had my CPAP for a little over 2 months and at first (2 wks) I couldn't fall asleep and ended up taking it off. Then I was able to fall asleep but would wake up with it off, and I don't remember doing it. now I am finally able to sleep the night through with it on most of the time. Everyone is different and it may take you longer to get used to it or you may get used to it in a couple days.

anyways, best of luck to you, and btw I have a full face mask and a pressure of 13

Emjaysmash
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
So, after dragging my feet, I'm set up for a Sleep Consultation for Sept. 18th, when I come back home for the High Holidays. After that, I'm sure its off for a sleep study.

ahc4353
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Updates anyone?

Some of you have yet to have your tests! :tt

PeteSB75
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
No update, just curious how often people generally go back for re-evaluation.

ahc4353
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
No update, just curious how often people generally go back for re-evaluation.

I go every two years if I can.

kelmac07
09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
The first year was every few months...now it is once a year.

Smokin Gator
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I have been wearing mine for over a year and haven't been back for a checkup. I guess I should... but I sleep great now as it is.

hotreds
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, gang, I'm getting a sleep study as well. After my pacemaker, the cardiac folks wanted me to visit the Sleep Clinic, and they decided I should undergo the test. Frankly, I wonder if this isn't a "one hand washing the other" scenario, and if the outcome of my initial visit wasn't a foregone conclusion. "Yes, you have a small throat, and are overweight." "Oh, people are different; the fact that you don't snore, wake up refreshed, don't fall asleep during the day etc." doesn't mean you don't have sleep apnea.

I am sure that I will be told I have sleep apnea after I spend the night at the clinic! Anyway, I am doing this, even if at the moment I'm rather dubious about the whole thing!

Having this thread is wonderful, I must say, and very helpful. It makes me think that getting tested is the right thing, and has me feeling a little less negatively towards the whole ringamaroll! I guess also spending more than my fair share of time in Dr's offices/hospitals lately has me a little sour!

Thanks for reading! Test is the 23rd- will keep you updated. Happy smokes to all!

eber
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Updates anyone?

Some of you have yet to have your tests! :tt

I am completely used to my CPAP mask and sleep through the night, every night with it on and wake up with it on in the morning. It took a while to get to this point but it is so worth it, I feel so much better during the day. Good luck to everyone just starting out, and if you are on the fence about getting tested, just go DO IT!

Smokin Gator
09-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, gang, I'm getting a sleep study as well. After my pacemaker, the cardiac folks wanted me to visit the Sleep Clinic, and they decided I should undergo the test. Frankly, I wonder if this isn't a "one hand washing the other" scenario, and if the outcome of my initial visit wasn't a foregone conclusion. "Yes, you have a small throat, and are overweight." "Oh, people are different; the fact that you don't snore, wake up refreshed, don't fall asleep during the day etc." doesn't mean you don't have sleep apnea.

I am sure that I will be told I have sleep apnea after I spend the night at the clinic! Anyway, I am doing this, even if at the moment I'm rather dubious about the whole thing!

Having this thread is wonderful, I must say, and very helpful. It makes me think that getting tested is the right thing, and has me feeling a little less negatively towards the whole ringamaroll! I guess also spending more than my fair share of time in Dr's offices/hospitals lately has me a little sour!

Thanks for reading! Test is the 23rd- will keep you updated. Happy smokes to all!

Well brother... I hope they say you don't have it... or if you feel like you don't then don't get the machine. I firmly feel like much of today's medical treatments are CYA.

I, on other hand, knew something was wrong. I was tired all the time and could wake up a community with my snoring/gasping.

kelmac07
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
and could wake up a community with my snoring/gasping.

My wife says she slept with a GRIZZLY BEAR for the last ten years. :D

Smokin Gator
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
My wife says she slept with a GRIZZLY BEAR for the last ten years. :D

We have a reunion of my college friends every year. We all stay at the same hotel and share rooms. The year before last I was rooming with a guy I have known for 25+ years. After we checked in and get to the room he hands me some ear plugs and tells me I may need them.

I told him "Brother, you might want to keep those... I am about to rock your world!!!" Of course there is no drinking involved when 50 or so college buddies get together to try and show they can still party like they used to!!!

The next morning he told me he had NEVER heard such noises!!!! He also told the guy who coordinates it all that he loved me... but don't ever have us room together again.

kelmac07
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
We have a reunion of my college friends every year. We all stay at the same hotel and share rooms. The year before last I was rooming with a guy I have known for 25+ years. After we checked in and get to the room he hands me some ear plugs and tells me I may need them.

I told him "Brother, you might want to keep those... I am about to rock your world!!!" Of course there is no drinking involved when 50 or so college buddies get together to try and show they can still party like they used to!!!

The next morning he told me he had NEVER heard such noises!!!! He also told the guy who coordinates it all that he loved me... but don't ever have us room together again.

I know the feeling Brent!!! Too funny!!

ahc4353
09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I'm glad you're going Hugh. Even mild cases of Sleep Apnea causes stress on your heart. At the end of the day is the mask a PITA? Sometimes, but I want to see my boys get married and have kids etc. so I'll put up with it.

Looking forward to the post when you tell us you don't have it! :D

Emjaysmash
09-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Had a Sleep Consult today. Told me I have a very good chance of having sleep apnea. Scheduling my sleep study it going to take a lttle work with me being at school 2 1/2 hours away, but I'll make it work. Keep you all posted. :tu

Smokin Gator
09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Had a Sleep Consult today. Told me I have a very good chance of having sleep apnea. Scheduling my sleep study it going to take a lttle work with me being at school 2 1/2 hours away, but I'll make it work. Keep you all posted. :tu

Glad you are getting it checked brother!!!:tu

kelmac07
09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Glad you are getting it checked brother!!!:tu

:tpd: Better safe than sorry MJ!!! Positive thoughts your way brother!!

hotreds
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Sleep study tonight. Will keep you advised.....

kelmac07
09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Good luck Hugh...keeping fingers crossed!!

McSmokey
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
The wife has been hounding me for months to get a sleep study done

ahc4353
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
The wife has been hounding me for months to get a sleep study done

Smart woman. :tu

kelmac07
09-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I finally got the wife (after hounding) to get herself checked out. Doctors visit went well...she is scheduled for her sleep study in two weeks. Maybe we can get his and her matching CPAPs...LOL!!!

dannysguitar
09-24-2009, 03:25 PM
I was never officially diagnosed, but my GF always told me that I would stop breathing several times an hour. I used to weigh over 350 lbs. Since then I'm down to 290 and she says I sleep like a baby now...

hotreds
09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Didn't sleep much, the tech was noncommittal but thought I might have mild apnea. Will see the doc on Wed, I imagine they'll want me back. As much as I hate to, I'll probably take the sleeping pill next time!

BigCat
09-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Didn't sleep much, the tech was noncommittal but thought I might have mild apnea. Will see the doc on Wed, I imagine they'll want me back. As much as I hate to, I'll probably take the sleeping pill next time!

I felt like I didn't sleep at ALL when I had my test - one of those nights where you toss and turn and think you see the clock all night, etc. Turns out they got more than enough to diagnose me with severe apnea. You might be surprised to find out they got all they need.

kelmac07
09-25-2009, 04:55 AM
I felt like I didn't sleep at ALL when I had my test - one of those nights where you toss and turn and think you see the clock all night, etc. Turns out they got more than enough to diagnose me with severe apnea. You might be surprised to find out they got all they need.

:tpd: I remember my test like it was yesterday...easily one of the worse nights ever!! Uncomfortable, tossing and turning, strange bed, strange room, etc...

kaisersozei
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM

:tpd:
When I asked my tech if she saw anything, she said, "Oh yea, maybe--I can't tell you anything, you gotta wait for the doctor." Probably train them to be non-committal.

hotreds
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, back for try #2 on Tuesday. I only slept 2 hours, not enough to really come up with good results. Doc said he thinks I might have apnea, but 2 hours not enough to really come up with a valid diagnosis. Fine, might as well get this right! I'll take the damn sleeping pill!

Tenor CS
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
So, it's been about 2 months since I was given the machine, and I've been able to sleep the whole night with the mask on for 4 or 5 nights in a row now. But I always get only 7-8 hours of sleep. My body won't let me sleep longer, even on an off morning. Anyone else have similar experience?

ahc4353
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
So, it's been about 2 months since I was given the machine, and I've been able to sleep the whole night with the mask on for 4 or 5 nights in a row now. But I always get only 7-8 hours of sleep. My body won't let me sleep longer, even on an off morning. Anyone else have similar experience?

Are you rested with 7-8 hours sleep?

I can't imagine sleeping more than that. :r

ahc4353
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
dentonparrots - Carl
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
nozero - Michael

Can we get this updated please.

Add your name or give us your latest status.

Thanks

kelmac07
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard TEST DONE! AWAITING RESULTS!
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
nozero - Michael
Kelmac07 (wife) - Sleep study scheduled for 18 Oct (hoping for matching CPAPs...LOL!!)

Biglizard1
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard TEST DONE! AWAITING RESULTS!
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
nozero - Michael
Kelmac07 (wife) - Sleep study scheduled for 18 Oct (hoping for matching CPAPs...LOL!!)
Biglizard1-David Diagnosed 2 years ago Moderate to Severe Apnea

ahc4353
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
So David,

Do you use your machine? Are you feeling better? If you can share it helps those that are on the fence or scared of what it's like.

If you don't want to thats cool as well! :D

Biglizard1
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Well like the post above says, Diagnosed 2 years ago, and immediatley tried the CPAP and was not successful. Some of you may know that I am a career firefighter and sleep in at the station on every third day. So combined with the emergency calls and moving from home to the station CPAP didn't work well for me. In addition, the CPAP even at its lowest setting gave me feelings of way too much pressure in my chest. With the results of this brief test my doctor and I decided to have surgery, UPPP, it has worked for me only real side effect has been nose regurg of liquids and some dificulty when swallowing certain things. It has helped my health and definately changed my sleep. I can tell that I have more energy and dont have the exhaustion based sleep episodes. It has been successful for me and now to lose more weight to make the total change.

UPPP resulted in larger airway in back of mouth, Uvulaectomy and tonsilectomy as well.
Still need to have septum undeviated.

Graphic description follows:

Absolutely worse part for me was the tonsilectomy, nearly bled to death when the scabs released 1.5 weeks after surgery. Local ER couldnt' stop bleeding with cauterization and had wife transport two hours by car to surgeon. After 2000 CCs of NS at the first ER, Surgeon came to ER #2 and fixed problem with cauterization and when they got my pressure back up with an additonal 3K cc of NS and LR's they let me come home.

Being an EMT and the wife a Paramedic this was hard for us, I had to during the drive cough up blood and try and maintain pressure on the inside of my throat to lessen the bleeding. My wife said I was white as a ghost upon arrival at ER #2 and they moved very quickly, I dont remember my vitals but they worked quick to fix me.

hotreds
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Leaving in about an hour for try number two. This time will take the sleeping pill!

kelmac07
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Leaving in about an hour for try number two. This time will take the sleeping pill!

Good luck Hugh!! Don't take the red pill. :r

gui_tarzan
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I just ran across this thread and thought I'd add my case too.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea in 2000 and started on a CPAP right away. The difference was pretty amazing. All these years of being tired all the time and not sleeping well from the time I was 17 or so (back in 1980) was all due to apnea. I've been re-titrated three times since and have had to increase pressure slightly each time. I've never considered the surgery since I don't have tonsils anymore and I like my uvula. ;)

I started with a nose mask and that did ok for a long time but with the higher pressure my nostrils tend to close easily so I've been using nasal pillows for a few years now. Much better. But there are different kinds and you have to keep trying them until you find one that works for you.

For you guys that won't use your machine or even won't get in and get tested - you're putting your life at risk by not taking care of this. I had the start of pulmonary hypertension before the CPAP, that was completely gone after the first year. I don't doze off in the car or at work anymore. It makes a HUGE difference in your life and can kill you if not treated!

ahc4353
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I just ran across this thread and thought I'd add my case too.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea in 2000 and started on a CPAP right away. The difference was pretty amazing. All these years of being tired all the time and not sleeping well from the time I was 17 or so (back in 1980) was all due to apnea. I've been re-titrated three times since and have had to increase pressure slightly each time. I've never considered the surgery since I don't have tonsils anymore and I like my uvula. ;)

I started with a nose mask and that did ok for a long time but with the higher pressure my nostrils tend to close easily so I've been using nasal pillows for a few years now. Much better. But there are different kinds and you have to keep trying them until you find one that works for you.

For you guys that won't use your machine or even won't get in and get tested - you're putting your life at risk by not taking care of this. I had the start of pulmonary hypertension before the CPAP, that was completely gone after the first year. I don't doze off in the car or at work anymore. It makes a HUGE difference in your life and can kill you if not treated!

Thank you for sharing your story Jim. I'm with you on all counts!

hotreds
10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, even though I still didn't sleep well, enough data was collected that I was told I have "moderate" sleep apnea. Next step is to do the CPAP test when I get back from vacation in two weeks. Doc said it was ok to wait- I'm leaving on Sat and they weren't able to schedule me that quickly. He told me not to drink much- apparently drinking has a big affect on apnea.(Since I don't drink- no problemo!)

Tenor CS
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
UPDATE: I've had my CPAP machine since August. I'm pretty much used to it by now. I can sleep all night with it. My wife loves that I no longer sound like someone sawing logs from my snoring. She says the sound at this point is pretty much non-existent. And the machine is much quieter than she thought it would be. I don't know if I necessarily feel better or more rested, but I'm using the machine and it seems to be working well for me.

htown
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Was diagnosed about six months ago with moderate apnea. Had trouble adjusting to machine, but now use it for 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. I do have a little more energy now.

PeteSB75
10-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Was diagnosed about six months ago with moderate apnea. Had trouble adjusting to machine, but now use it for 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. I do have a little more energy now.

You will see more benefit sleeping longer each night. I know I was down to 4 or so hours a night, since it didn't seem to matter how much I slept, I was still tired. Once I started using my CPAP, 6-7 hours is amazing.

Conch Republican
10-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, even though I still didn't sleep well, enough data was collected that I was told I have "moderate" sleep apnea. Next step is to do the CPAP test when I get back from vacation in two weeks. Doc said it was ok to wait- I'm leaving on Sat and they weren't able to schedule me that quickly. He told me not to drink much- apparently drinking has a big affect on apnea.(Since I don't drink- no problemo!)

Don't you get thirsty? :r

hotreds
10-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, off to get my machine and fitting! I was told that I could pick up my machine tomorow morning at the sleep study center after they decide the pressures et al overnight. Will let y'all know how it goes/went!

kelmac07
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Well, off to get my machine and fitting! I was told that I could pick up my machine tomorow morning at the sleep study center after they decide the pressures et al overnight. Will let y'all know how it goes/went!

Good stuff Hugh!! :tu Remember...the first night is the worst. It gets easier after that one.

Nabinger16
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
I was checking the data in my APAP yesterday and realized I have been using the APAP machine for exactly 1 year to the day!! I currently have a 100% 365/365 usage rate, and an AHI of 3.4 (HI of 3.0 and AI of 0.4). I've been averaging a pressure of 10.4.

IMHO... an AHI of 3.4 is pretty good considering I started off with a 97!!!

hotreds
10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Fit me with two masks- the nose cover and the nose pillows/stoppers. Thought I would like the nose mask at first, but after about 25 minutes it started to bother me. Slept with the pillows/stoppers, no problemo. Only thing that ticks me off is I was told I would get my machine today at the site, but that didn't happen. Tech said she didn't have a machine to give me. Makes me wonder why the hell they called me to pre-register specifically so I could pick up my machine at the sleep over site. ARGH!

So, now I'll hafta wait. Bottom line, the pillows really didn't bother me, so hopefully this won't be too traumatic a change!

BigCat
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
That's great that you are comfortable with the pillows already. It should really help your transition into this. Just be mindful of whether you breathe through your mouth at night. If you do, I'm told you lose the effect of the cpap treatment. Some people actually wear chin straps to keep their mouths closed to avoid it. I actually wear a full mask for this purpose. I don't think I mouth breathe when I sleep, but I'm too neurotic to take the chance. Good luck getting set up!

hotreds
11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Day 2 using the device. I have a Res Med pillow system. Didn't sleep as well yesterday as my first night. I guess it takes some getting used to. Seems I keep getting water in the pillows, even tho I have dialed down the humidity meter quite low. Maybe I just expirate lotsa humid air?

Hey y'all- do I really need to change the distilled water daily?( Could get a bit expensive!) Do I really need to use distilled water? I imagine when I travel getting distilled water might not be so easy. Do you all clean the device as often as they say- daily/weekly? Do you replace the stuff every three months? I know that the seller needs a lot of CYA, wondering if you really need to be as careful/strict as they say?

TIA!

BigCat
11-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Day 2 using the device. I have a Res Med pillow system. Didn't sleep as well yesterday as my first night. I guess it takes some getting used to. Seems I keep getting water in the pillows, even tho I have dialed down the humidity meter quite low. Maybe I just expirate lotsa humid air?

Hey y'all- do I really need to change the distilled water daily?( Could get a bit expensive!) Do I really need to use distilled water? I imagine when I travel getting distilled water might not be so easy. Do you all clean the device as often as they say- daily/weekly? Do you replace the stuff every three months? I know that the seller needs a lot of CYA, wondering if you really need to be as careful/strict as they say?

TIA!

Yes! If you don't, bacteria grows in the tank really quickly and it gets bad for your health. When I first started out using it, I used tap water a couple times when I ran out of distilled water. Stuff started growing in the tank like crazy. I kept running a q-tip over it and pink stuff kept coming out. You can get distilled water for less than a dollar a gallon where I live. I get 2 weeks or so out of one gallon. It is way worth it. When I run out, I don't use any water in it anymore - a couple nights without the humidifier going hasn't hurt me yet.

As far as cleaning the equipment, I can be a little lax there. I dump the water in the humidifier every morning and open it up so that it air dries during the day. Considering I use only distilled water and allow it to completely dry, I haven't had any problems with it. I tend to get new equipment every 6 months because that is how frequently my insurance pays for a new mask. I figure I might as well get it. I'd do it every three if I could remember, but wouldn't worry about it if you don't.

Just my :2, but definitely use distilled water only.

kelmac07
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Yes! If you don't, bacteria grows in the tank really quickly and it gets bad for your health. When I first started out using it, I used tap water a couple times when I ran out of distilled water. Stuff started growing in the tank like crazy. I kept running a q-tip over it and pink stuff kept coming out. You can get distilled water for less than a dollar a gallon where I live. I get 2 weeks or so out of one gallon. It is way worth it. When I run out, I don't use any water in it anymore - a couple nights without the humidifier going hasn't hurt me yet.

As far as cleaning the equipment, I can be a little lax there. I dump the water in the humidifier every morning and open it up so that it air dries during the day. Considering I use only distilled water and allow it to completely dry, I haven't had any problems with it. I tend to get new equipment every 6 months because that is how frequently my insurance pays for a new mask. I figure I might as well get it. I'd do it every three if I could remember, but wouldn't worry about it if you don't.

Just my :2, but definitely use distilled water only.

Distilled water only Hugh!! I use soap and water and clean mine every few weeks...let it air dry. My insurance sends me a new mask, hose and filter every three months...I usually only change it every 5-6 though.

PeteSB75
11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I get new hose/mask/filters every three months, when the DME supplier calls me to ask if I need it. I use only distilled water, but I don't dump the existing water every night - bit of a waste IMO. I clean the mask and tank about once a week. I will use tap water when I am traveling, but it tends to build up mineral deposits on the sides and bottom of the tank pretty quickly, so I always use distilled at home - I keep it around anyway for Cigar Oasis refills.

hotreds
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks, guys. Distilled water it is!

tsolomon
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Just got back from seeing an ENT about a sinus issue and he wants me to do sleep study. He looked down my throat and started asking questions about snoring and if I stopped breathing while I sleep. The answer is yes to the snoring, but I don't know about the breathing part. I did tell him that I wake frequently and have not slept consistently well for years, although I have often mentioned this fact to my primary doctor(s) over the years, but they never addressed the issue. I'm now waiting for the sleep center to call so I can setup an appointment to get this checked out. I don't normally sleep well when I'm in a new place, so I'm not sure how well this will work.

Emjaysmash
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Just an update-
After cancelling my last sleep study due to poor scheduling on my part, I have re-scheduled for this tuesday. I am going to ask them for the lseeping pil- I want to get this done in one go. Hopefully I can get all of my apparatus (if I have apnea) by the beginnning of the smester.

hotreds
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
After a month I must admit I'm not finding any difference. The sleep doc said that he did want me to continue to use the contraption, so I will.

Tenor CS
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Give it time, hotreds. Took me about 3 MONTHS to make it through a night without yanking the mask off. Now, I love my CPAP machine.

One of the big issues I had at first was waking up with a dry nose. I had to turn the humidifier to max to feel good when I woke up.

YMMV, of course.

Before my CPAP machine, I had no idea what it felt like to sleep a full 8 hours. Or to wake up WITHOUT a sore throat from snoring. Or what it was like to NOT have your wife elbowing me to get me to get me to shut up my snoring. She used to wake up, NOT hear me snoring, and get scared that I had died in my sleep. This, of course, led to her sleeping poorly.

It does take time to get used to, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Midwestian
12-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah i have/had sleep apnea. Mine was pretty severe. When i was tested i averaged 25-30 obstructions per night. My O2 levels were pretty low as well. I used the mask for awhile and although i never really felt more rested i did have better peace of mind knowing that i was not going to die in the middle of the night!

I got frustrated that the machine did not work as the people told me it would. I was still chugging red bulls and cuban coffee whenever i got a chance. So i started to exercise hard freakin core. I did cardio 5 times a week 40 min a session and a yoga routine 2-4 times a week on top of it all. it worked!!

Last time i got tested they said my apnea was no where to be found! So i guess not only is my heart stronger and my O2 level increased to maximum but I'm sleeping better and honestly having better sleep as well.

Try it out guys you never know - medicine is not always the answer. Oh and if anyone is interested I still haven't tried an Opus X (hint hint Xmas gar list!)

Tenor CS
12-27-2009, 08:01 PM
When i was tested i averaged 25-30 obstructions per night.

Actually that number is usually given per HOUR, not per night. My RDI (Respiratory Disturbances Index) was 10.2, which means that I was stopping breathing about 10x per hour, or every six minutes. If your RDI was in the 30 range, you were stopping breathing every 2 minutes or so. That is scary.

Midwestian
12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
yeah thats what i meant - that was my avg every hour! can you believe it! i really wonder some times how i am still alive after crazy all nighters in South Beach!:ss

Don Fernando
12-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I am going to ask them for the lseeping pil- I want to get this done in one go.

Are you sure you wanna do that? Don't you think a 'natural' sleep will give a more honest result?

pnoon
01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, add me to the list. :sad

I had my sleep study and my followup with the specialist to review the results is tomorrow. I fully expect to be using some sort of CPAP machine and mask. I'll see what the doc recommends and then go from there.

Don Fernando
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
a cpap isn't that bad Peter, you'll get used to it in a few weeks and you'll feel much better once you get a full night sleep.

Emjaysmash
01-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Are you sure you wanna do that? Don't you think a 'natural' sleep will give a more honest result?

They thought just like you, Ferd. I wasn't allowed to get a sleeping pill, unless I had a lot of trouble sleeping.

For an update: I had my sleep study and they sent me home telling me I didn't have sleep apnea (very surprising to me and my family!) It was only after I had gone to work when the nurse called back, telling me the had scored my full sleep study and I actually DO have sleep apnea.

I am scheduled to go in this friday for another study with the CPAP.