PDA

View Full Version : Bad News From Work

ca21455
04-25-2009, 08:51 AM
My company, Ameren, was planning to build a second nuclear plant at our current site in Callaway County MO. Due to what I feel is a very bad decision by the MO legislature the company has decided to cancel plans for the plant. We were well on the way to start construction in 2012, but now that is now gone.

The state will lose a 8 billion dollar project and the prospects for a boom to the local economy is shot. Support for the plant is very high both locally and in the state. I will never understand politics or politicians.

Here is a link to the press release:

http://ameren.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=634

Fortunately this will not adversely effect our current workforce, but everyone was really looking forward to this opportunity and are really disappointed.

BORIStheBLADE
04-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that .Me being in construction I feel your pain. That would be a pretty large project, something we definitely need in this economy.

qwerty1500
04-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Nuclear power makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, too many people felt that CWIP appeared to be a scheme to shift risk from stockholders to rate-payers.

blugill
04-25-2009, 10:37 AM
That's a shame. America needs more nuclear power plants.

St. Lou Stu
04-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Personally, I think the general ignorance and fear of nuclear power coupled with Ameren's poor handling of the Taum Sauk Reservoir failure led to this decision that was influenced by ignorant legislation.

ca21455
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately there is not going to be construction of any major power generation facilities in MO until something is done about the method of financing in this state. No one is going to finance a project that they can't pay for until it produces electricity.

My feeling is this is going to severely limit the viability of the electric grid in this state for the future.

Even though I have almost 30 years with this company, may have to consider dusting off my resume.

karmaz00
04-25-2009, 05:51 PM
thats sucks mnan soory to hear about that