PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughly bummed, needing help on a decision

troutbreath
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm not a heavy smoker. On a busy week, I might have 3 cigars, and I've only done that in a day once. Well, maybe twice.

But, I really look forward to the days when I can enjoy a nice stick outside on the porch and relax. And, with summer right around the corner, those days should become more plentiful.

Not so fast, my friend. A few weeks ago, I managed to break a tooth which resulted in a root canal. While awaiting my crown, the tooth broke further and now has to be extracted. On Thursday. The surgeon told me today that I should avoid cigars while the healing process is going on, as this is a pretty complex process putting in an implant . . . and the process is going to take up to EIGHT MONTHS.

Ugh. Most of this is going to be out of pocket expense, painful, and I'm going to miss the summer.

But, I have tomorrow. Trying to decide how I say "see ya later" to my sticks for a few months. My thoughts:

Anejo -- I have a bunch of sizes here from last December's shipment
Opus X -- I have 2 that have been resting right at a year in my humidor
Monte #2 -- received as a gift last fall
Bolivar PC -- also received as a gift last fall

Or, I can fall back to the usual sticks (personal favorite the Tatuaje Unicos) and let those age even more. That is my positive spin on this -- instant, forced aging.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Remember to floss.

replicant_argent
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
out of sight, out of mind, and might be a bit easier to deal with your healing. I wouldn't try to cheat, but I am a bit conservative like that.
Have a local BOTL stash them in his humi for you. Try not to think of herfs.

Darrell
Monte #2. If it's an 07, they are coming around quite well right now. :tu

If it's an 08, smoke something else. Those aren't ready.

Rockestone
sorry to hear about the tooth bro!!:(

I would be all over that Opus X!! Enjoy while you can!:tu

leasingthisspace
04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I would suggest going with something you know is going to be great because it would suck having to wait that long to have something else after having a bad stick.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Monte 2 :2

bobarian
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Not sure about your specifics, but I had two teeth extracted a month ago and am in the process of getting implants as well. I have to wait 4 months for the bone to heal so they can install the titanium studs. My oral surgeon told me that nicotine will slow the healing process, for the first week post op I smoked about 1 cigar a day. Then on the 5 day we had a herf so I had about 7. Still smoke 1-2 a day no problems encountered so far. :2 YMMV.

icehog3
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation, Mike.

If it were me, I would smoke them all tonight. :)

dunng
04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Smoke 'em all! :tu

replicant_argent
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Pretty good advice, actually... even considering the source. ;)

Then you have 8 months to seek out and destroy your next victims, and at least have some satisfaction of buying some smokes you really dig, and compare them to the "blowout" smokes. A bit of a very long term comparo...

Wait.. that might just be torture for some.

Nevermind.

Starscream
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM

:tpd:
Smoke 'em all! :tu

troutbreath
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Good suggestions! Not sure I have enough hours to get through all of 'em . . . maybe. I'm certain I don't have enough taste buds.

Leasing brought up one of my concerns -- what if I bust out this magical (and maybe only) stick, only to find out I don't like it . . . and that is my memory for the next several months (or hours, if I'm bobarian -- lol). The doc was not firm - "don't you dare smoke a cigar." But she suggested it would slow the healing, like bob said. I was tempted to put off this whole procedure until I finished up my run of upcoming meetings, but then I bit down on it today. I have to get this thing out of my head.

WildBlueSooner
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Good suggestions! Not sure I have enough hours to get through all of 'em . . . maybe. I'm certain I don't have enough taste buds.

Leasing brought up one of my concerns -- what if I bust out this magical (and maybe only) stick, only to find out I don't like it . . . and that is my memory for the next several months (or hours, if I'm bobarian -- lol). The doc was not firm - "don't you dare smoke a cigar." But she suggested it would slow the healing, like bob said. I was tempted to put off this whole procedure until I finished up my run of upcoming meetings, but then I bit down on it today. I have to get this thing out of my head.

How about this. Pick the one you are most excited about smoking. If you don't like...toss it and smoke another one. Normally this would not be my style, but you will have 8 whole months to grab up plenty more good smokes. My recommendation...pick whichever you have been dying to try, and make sure you enjoy the whole experience! :tu

troutbreath
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
How about this. Pick the one you are most excited about smoking. If you don't like...toss it and smoke another one. Normally this would not be my style, but you will have 8 whole months to grab up plenty more good smokes. My recommendation...pick whichever you have been dying to try, and make sure you enjoy the whole experience! :tu

I like the way you think, and tomorrow might have to be a 2-stick day, anyway. We'll make it a good one.

TXRebel
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
If you can’t smoke them all, pick two from your list, get up early tomorrow have one in the morning, one at lunch and smoke a Tat before going to bed.

tobii3
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Long story cut short -

I have two titanium plates on the inside and outside of my lower right jaw. That ALONG with two titanium posts anchoring two crowns.

The ONLY thing the doctor/surgeon was adamant about was NO chewing tobacco/snuff for at least 4-6 months.

Cigarettes and cigars he said to take it slooooooooowly. But within 8 weeks I was doing fine - and no issues.

And my surgery was to stabilize a shattered jaw along with the implants. Just some words from experience.

ahc4353
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Long story cut short -

I have two titanium plates on the inside and outside of my lower right jaw. That ALONG with two titanium posts anchoring two crowns.

The ONLY thing the doctor/surgeon was adamant about was NO chewing tobacco/snuff for at least 4-6 months.

Cigarettes and cigars he said to take it slooooooooowly. But within 8 weeks I was doing fine - and no issues.

And my surgery was to stabilize a shattered jaw along with the implants. Just some words from experience.

I thought your teeth were wood. :hm

WildBlueSooner
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Long story cut short -

Always has to be the bad influence ;)

replicant_argent
04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
I thought your teeth were wood. :hm

By now, Al, it's petrified, for two reasons, age and ... well, have you seen a pic of Tobster?

troutbreath
04-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Monte #2 is done. Delicious! A little more work, and then on to selection #2, I believe.

Beer Doctor
04-22-2009, 10:00 AM

troutbreath
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Nubbing a Unicos. debating if I have time for another before the kids get home . . .

troutbreath
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Ouch!!!

:)

zmancbr
04-23-2009, 01:08 PM

That is exactly what I was going to say... I would go for one last great smoke! Or on the way to the dentist, light the last one up and toss it when you get there... :D

Either way that sucks Bro and I feel for ya. :rolleyes: Hope everything comes out well and you can get back to cigars soon. :tu

shortstory5
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Smoke that Anejo right now! Get them in!

troutbreath
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes, all. I have migrated over to swell painkillers . . . not nearly as tasty.

I saw a thread on CA about still hanging out, even while not smoking as much. I doubt I'll go anywhere, even though some of the review threads are temptation central. This is a great place for fun and fellowship, regardless of one's dental state. Light 'em up!

WildBlueSooner
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes, all. I have migrated over to swell painkillers . . . not nearly as tasty.

I saw a thread on CA about still hanging out, even while not smoking as much. I doubt I'll go anywhere, even though some of the review threads are temptation central. This is a great place for fun and fellowship, regardless of one's dental state. Light 'em up!

:wo:wo Hope things continue to heal for you...and stick around!

Savor the Stick
04-23-2009, 04:49 PM

WildBlueSooner
04-23-2009, 04:51 PM

You some beach :fu

Savor the Stick
04-23-2009, 04:57 PM
You some beach :fu

James...Where is the Love Brother?

:D:D

eboniknight
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Not sure about your specifics, but I had two teeth extracted a month ago and am in the process of getting implants as well. I have to wait 4 months for the bone to heal so they can install the titanium studs. My oral surgeon told me that nicotine will slow the healing process, for the first week post op I smoked about 1 cigar a day. Then on the 5 day we had a herf so I had about 7. Still smoke 1-2 a day no problems encountered so far. :2 YMMV.

I'm going through the exact same process (5 months so far)....bone is healing nicely.....waiting to see when doc says he will install the stud. I held out about 2 weeks before I lit up again. Not looking forward to a reduction in my smokes after the stud is implanted. :(

troutbreath
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm going through the exact same process (5 months so far)....bone is healing nicely.....waiting to see when doc says he will install the stud. I held out about 2 weeks before I lit up again. Not looking forward to a reduction in my smokes after the stud is implanted. :(

I feel you. I think my schedule will be one where I will be too busy to worry about temptation for 3-4 weeks. But if the weather is nice, I know I will start jonesing for a good stick.

troutbreath
05-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Two weeks +. Angry, but still no smokes. Ugh.