PDA

View Full Version : Adoption update!

Gargoyle
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
It has been a long time since I have been active on CA (and most other things for that matter) since the adoption process has started. Deciding to take on such a large group of kids was definitely a choice made with a fair amount of idealism, ignorance and wishful thinking!!!!

Three of the four kids are now with us, with the last joining us just 10 days. It has been wonderful and completely mentally & physically exhausting at the same time. We are settling into the mom & dad roles ok and learning on the job with some bumps & scrapes along the way.

The most difficult part has been learning backwards through the age range... we started with the oldest and are getting progressively younger as we re-introduce the siblings into the family. A newborn requires physical attention for food, warmth, cleanliness, etc... We started parenting with a 4 1/2 year old that needed physical, emotional, intellectual and active playtime attention -- and he could critique your efforts and blunders!!!! Talk about a challenging opening into the world of parenting!

Day by day we are getting the hang of it and are getting better at things... at which point a new child would be introduced and totally disrupt things again. :) We have just one more and then can finally start to settle in and get some stability.

My man cave in the basement is all but gone... replaced by toys, toys and more toys. Metallica, Cradle of Filth, NIN and System of a Down have been replaced by endless reruns of Dora the Explorer, Diego and Little Bear. It is awesome though! :dance:

The four year old is fascinated with farts & poops... and speaks endlessly about them, which is a constant source of amusement. The three year old is doing great and transitioning from a pristine china doll into a little kid that likes to run, play and get dirty -- she's coming out of a shell. The two year old is a funny little personality that is fascinated with everything and enjoys doing little things like rubbing beans, jelly and peanut butter in his hair. So many simple joys everywhere to be found!

I'll post up some pics once we get further along the adoption process... we are still in pre-adoptive foster care right now and that will hopefully change in the coming months. :wo

Bruzee
04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Awesome story bro. Take a special person to do what you and your Mrs. are doing. Best of luck my friend, and may God bless you! :tu

md4958
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the progress report Patrick!

ahc4353
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Great to hear Patrick. We are all pulling for you and your new family!

May God bless all of you.

Let us know if you need anything.

massphatness
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
If we start a Farts & Poops banter thread, can your son participate, Sham?

Its so good to hear that things are progressing well.

Scottw
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM

I'd be in on the Farts & Poops Banter!!

WildBlueSooner
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Farts and Poops Banter...I have been looking for a banter thread to start posting in!

mosesbotbol
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow. Good for you. There's a special place in heaven for opening your heart & home to those kids.

Smokin Gator
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks so much for the update. Of course there will be many bumps along the way, but consistency in your actions and responses will work wonders over time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

MedicCook
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Glad things are going well Patrick.

Gargoyle
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM

I would need to type for him, but he would love to contribute!!!

We have a "joking" game when I drive him to school on my way to work. There is a 30 minute period where we go back and forth seeing various animals and dinosaurs farting, pooping or peeing in the woods, on a car, etc.

D: Hey daddy, I see a T-Rex pooping in the woods!!!
Me: Where is it? I can't see it?
D: I'm joking!! (follwed by hysterical laugher) Your turn!
... and so it goes. Your creativity gets pushed to the max after 20 minutes of this because he doesn't like repeats, or you'll hear "no, you already did that!"

Naturally, the infantile part of my is enjoying being able to make fart and poop jokes with the kids. It is more socially acceptable then when I was a 42 year old with no children. :wo

BeerAdvocate
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
It takes a big heart to do what you are doing! Keep it up. You are making a HUGE differance in a few childerns lifes!!!

14holestogie
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Patrick,

What you are doing warms the heart. It takes a special person or couple to take on these added responsibilities, but the rewards will far outweigh your duties.

Continued success as your family comes together. :tu

taltos
04-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Patrick, you and your wife are special people who are candidates for sainthood! What you guys are doing for these children is remarkable. My prayers go out for your success and for others to do what you guys are doing.:tu

chippewastud79
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Congratulations on all of the hard work put in thus far and prayers for a fufilling and happy lifetime to come :tu

massphatness
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
We have a "joking" game when I drive him to school on my way to work. There is a 30 minute period where we go back and forth seeing various animals and dinosaurs farting, pooping or peeing in the woods, on a car, etc.

D: Hey daddy, I see a T-Rex pooping in the woods!!!
Me: Where is it? I can't see it?
D: I'm joking!! (follwed by hysterical laugher) Your turn!
... and so it goes. Your creativity gets pushed to the max after 20 minutes of this because he doesn't like repeats, or you'll hear "no, you already did that!"

You could always use the classic HERF standby:

"Daddy, I see Tim Ricker pooping at Vin's herf and he smells like Vin's dad"

BlackDog
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Gargoyle, that is fantastic news. Blessings to you and your family. There are few more important things a person can do than to give a child a loving home. The world needs more people who will open their homes, and their hearts, for kids like this.

Last year my wife and I adopted a little boy that had been a foster child in our home since 2 days old. His mom was chemically dependent, and has now disappeared. He will always have developmental problems due to his mother's abusive behavior during her pregnancy, but he is a joy to us.

I hope your children bring you and your wife much joy too. Thank you for what you are doing for these kids.

gnukfu
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the update Patrick! Enjoy every moment! They grow up quick!

Emerald
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
This is an awsome story and a great great adventure that never ends... Enjoy your time and congrats to you and your wife for so much love and efforts. You both are AMAZING ! Long life to the new family :)