PDA

View Full Version : Generally Speaking.....

Da Klugs
04-19-2009, 09:43 AM
There is much experience and knowledge contained within the membership here. Sometimes things get lost when we post individual issues which can disguise things which are.. Generally Speaking .. held to be truths based upon the experience of a large group of folks here.

So one to start:

Generally Speaking...

Humidity beads are the humidification device of choice (60 or 65%) for a large percentage of folks here for smaller humidors and coolers. They are reliable and eliminate mold issues related to other sponge type devices.

There are several sources for them but here are 2:

Smaller devices typically for desktops: www.cigarmony.com (http://www.cigarmony.com)

Larger quantities with tubes/sacks for travel, cooler etc type needs: www.heartfeltindustries.com (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com)

Da Klugs
04-19-2009, 09:57 AM
OK another one.

Generally Speaking...

Folks use USPS for shipping things to one another, trades, bombs etc.

The supplies for doing this are FREE. The most used sizes are not carried by your local POst office. You need to order them from their site online. The supplies and shipping them to you is FREE.

Go to USPS.com - you will need to register to get stuff but it is worthwile to take the 2 minutes to do so.

Most of us use Priority Mail with an additional cost delivery confirmation added to ensure we can prove delivery of things sent. Typoically this totals less than $ 6 for domestic shipments and typical delivery time is 1-3 days.

Probably the most useful size is the 1096L large video cassette mailing size. http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11643&langId=-1&WT.ac=11643

The 1096S a slightly smaller box is also useful.

There are a myriad of other sizes available to you but taking the time to do a little shopping FREE on the WWW.USPS.com (http://www.USPS.com) site is time well spent.

Ashcan Bill
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
A generalization?

Well, generally speaking, I think most of us here prefer to light our cigars utilizing a torch lighter. Torches give an even light, the butane used is tasteless, and they make touching up a burn effortless.

While there are many torch lighters available, I believe the PB-207 is one of the most popular. They are reliable, fairly inexpensive, and easily available.

I've run across throw aways that work as well, but I'll bet a good percentage of us have at least one PB-207 in our stash drawer.

JJG
04-19-2009, 10:21 AM
OK another one.

Generally Speaking...

Folks use USPS for shipping things to one another, trades, bombs etc.

The supplies for doing this are FREE. The most used sizes are not carried by your local POst office. You need to order them from their site online. The supplies you and shipping them to you is FREE.

Go to USPS.com - you will need to register to get stuff but it is worthwile to take the 2 minutes to do so.

Most of us use Priority Mail with an additional cost delivery confirmation added to ensure we can prove delivery of things sent. Typoically this totals less than $ 6 for domestic shipments and typical delivery time is 1-3 days.

Probably the most useful size is the 1096L large video cassette mailing size. http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11643&langId=-1&WT.ac=11643

The 1096S a slightly smaller box is also useful.

There are a myriad of other sizes available to you but taking the time to do a little shopping FREE on the WWW.USPS.com (http://www.USPS.com) site is time well spent.

This is great info. I don't know if there is a "generally accepted shipping practices" thread but I have never had a bad experience with usps and I always appreciate the DC#. It's only like, $1 extra?

also since we are speaking generally, anyone else notice that their taste preferences seem to evolve in the opposite direction of conventional wisdom?

I see full bodied or super fuerte cigars advertised as "for experienced smokers" but they seem to be favored most by new enthusiasts.

From personal experience I can say I used to prefer strong, dark maduros and oscuros but over the years I've come to favor very light, mild to medium cigars.

In fact, the only maduros I actually prefer over their natural counterparts are Padrons.

Don Fernando
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
There is much experience and knowledge contained within the membership here. Sometimes things get lost when we post individual issues which can disguise things which are.. Generally Speaking .. held to be truths based upon the experience of a large group of folks here.

So one to start:

Generally Speaking...

Humidity beads are the humidification device of choice (60 or 65%) for a large percentage of folks here for smaller humidors and coolers. They are reliable and eliminate mold issues related to other sponge type devices.

There are several sources for them but here are 2:

Smaller devices typically for desktops: www.cigarmony.com (http://www.cigarmony.com)

Larger quantities with tubes/sacks for travel, cooler etc type needs: www.heartfeltindustries.com (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com)

I would like to add Scott Shilala to the list of sources.

HK3-
04-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I would like to add Scott Shilala to the list of sources.

:tpd: They work great for me and they are from a great member here. :tu

Da Klugs
04-19-2009, 10:57 AM
OK another one:

Generally Speaking...

I taste no difference between cigars I buy on line v.s. those at B&M's. Other than the either can suck ROTT or ROOTH based upon being over humidified. I think the premise of differences ties back to one key ingredient in enjoying the cigar... what is between your ears, than any intentional differences at manufacturing. If a B&M proprietor you respect (or friends for that matter, but I guesss you need friends for that to happen) hands you a cigar / recommends it, you will tend to enjoy that cigar more than one without any connection to that weird muddled place between your ears.

bobarian
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
This is great info. I don't know if there is a "generally accepted shipping practices" thread but I have never had a bad experience with usps and I always appreciate the DC#. It's only like, $1 extra?

Actually, DC#'s are free when you use USPS online or PP MultiOrder Shipping.

Generally speaking people underbuy their first storage container. No matter what you are contemplating, humidor, cooler, wine fridge or cabinet, get at least the next bigger size, more realistically DOUBLE your anticipated storage you will need it within 3 months. In general most underestimate the pull of this hobby and actually think they have self control.:D

Skywalker
04-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Generally speaking people underbuy their first storage container. No matter what you are contemplating, humidor, cooler, wine fridge or cabinet, get at least the next bigger size, more realistically DOUBLE your anticipated storage you will need it within 3 months. In general most underestimate the pull of this hobby and actually think they have self control.:D

Generally speaking...

Some members push other members into such buying practices...
Thus the term "pushed down the slope"!!!:r:r

When I say pushed, I mean bombing with Coolers, VinoTemps, and Humidors so the recipient feels obligated to fill such devices; causing them to slip uncontrollably down the the slope of buying more cigars!!!

WildBlueSooner
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Speaking of slope...Generally speaking new members hear about the so called slope, and smile while thinking "they are just messing around it cannot be that bad." However, over the course of the next several weeks they find out the slope is more like a free fall and finally understand that the other members were not exaggerating, in fact they were probably understating the extreme force of the magical slope. As a new smoker I can attest the the slope is strong and not to be messed with. Also, do not try to fight the force, as it will do things to you you never imagined were possible (ouch!) So, let this be a warning to all of the noobs who question the power of the slope...DO NOT **** WITH THE SLOPE! Generally speaking of course

DocLogic77
04-19-2009, 01:58 PM
OK another one:

Generally Speaking...

I taste no difference between cigars I buy on line v.s. those at B&M's. Other than the either can suck ROTT or ROOTH based upon being over humidified. I think the premise of differences ties back to one key ingredient in enjoying the cigar... what is between your ears, than any intentional differences at manufacturing. If a B&M proprietor you respect (or friends for that matter, but I guesss you need friends for that to happen) hands you a cigar / recommends it, you will tend to enjoy that cigar more than one without any connection to that weird muddled place between your ears.

Excellent point...and I totally agree.

markem
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Generally speaking, CA is a place where it is expected that people will grow both in understanding of the leaf, knowledge of our diverse culture, knowledge of themselves and in taking a ribbing. CA is also a place where we can learn about our own biases and rectify them, provided we (mostly) check our ego at the door.

It is also a place where the motto "smoke what makes you happy" is lauded - cc v. nc arguments are rare but deep discussions about why one may prefer one over the other are appreciated.

And finally, generally speaking, CA provides a nice way to get involved in a large board without having to "keep up". We don't worship the number of smoke rings, or the number of trades, or the number of visitor messages. After being here a short time, almost all are treated with equal care and respect.

DocLogic77
04-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Speaking of slope...Generally speaking new members hear about the so called slope, and smile while thinking "they are just messing around it cannot be that bad." However, over the course of the next several weeks they find out the slope is more like a free fall and finally understand that the other members were not exaggerating, in fact they were probably understating the extreme force of the magical slope. As a new smoker I can attest the the slope is strong and not to be messed with. Also, do not try to fight the force, as it will do things to you you never imagined were possible (ouch!) So, let this be a warning to all of the noobs who question the power of the slope...DO NOT **** WITH THE SLOPE! Generally speaking of course

This is funny and oh so true. And I think we should combine this with what bobarian was saying. If you decide ehh how bad can the slope be...maybe I should %^&* with the slope. Then buy more storage than you believe you will ever need in 10 lifetimes. Because the slope is no joke...and the amount of cigars aquired only escalates with time.

Let me add an additional note. For those like myself who are a glutton for punishment...there is a slope within a slope. Just when you think you have hit rock bottom...and you have aquired everything your little heart desires...along comes the vintage and rare slope. This is a sickness within the sickness...and has sent many a good man to the poor house. Don't say you haven't been warned. :D

Old Sailor
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Generally speaking: when a new member goes to their first herf, they have questions galore about what to bring....IMHO, bring what you like to smoke, if you want to handout cigars to other attendees, go for it. Main thing to remember, is be yourself and enjoy!!

leasingthisspace
04-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Generally speaking, CA is a place where it is expected that people will grow both in understanding of the leaf, knowledge of our diverse culture, knowledge of themselves and in taking a ribbing. CA is also a place where we can learn about our own biases and rectify them, provided we (mostly) check our ego at the door.

It is also a place where the motto "smoke what makes you happy" is lauded - cc v. nc arguments are rare but deep discussions about why one may prefer one over the other are appreciated.

And finally, generally speaking, CA provides a nice way to get involved in a large board without having to "keep up". We don't worship the number of smoke rings, or the number of trades, or the number of visitor messages. After being here a short time, almost all are treated with equal care and respect.

Well said.

bobarian
04-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Let me add an additional note. For those like myself who are a glutton for punishment...there is a slope within a slope. Just when you think you have hit rock bottom...and you have aquired everything your little heart desires...along comes the vintage and rare slope. This is a sickness within the sickness...and has sent many a good man to the poor house. Don't say you haven't been warned. :D

Generally speaking, the Power of the Dark Side is strong. Do not tempt fate. Aged, vintage and rare are not slopes to mess with unless you are prepared to go deeper, faster and harder! :r

Da Klugs
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Generally speaking, the Power of the Dark Side is strong. Do not tempt fate. Aged, vintage and rare are not slopes to mess with unless you are prepared to go deeper, faster and harder! :r

The deeper being so ego sapping... :D

MarkinAZ
04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Generally speaking: when a new member goes to their first herf, they have questions galore about what to bring....IMHO, bring what you like to smoke, if you want to handout cigars to other attendees, go for it. Main thing to remember, is be yourself and enjoy!!

And generally speaking, I believe it is always in good taste to bring a small gift (cigar, etc) for the Inmate who is hosting the local herf at his or her home, as a way of showing your appreciation for their generosity.

In addition, and generally speaking, try to have something positive to say from time to time about the members of the CFRH. If not, they make take the notion at their next herf to bomb your a$$;)

WildBlueSooner
04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Generally speaking CA members are great about returning favors. When I first came and got the living hell bombed out of me, people said one thing...pay it forward when you can! I am now in a position to start repaying some of those debts so lookout below!!!!!! :r

Ahbroody
04-19-2009, 04:06 PM
OK another one:

Generally Speaking...

Glad you said this. Gives backing to what many of us have been arguing both here and prior at CS.

As to the dark side slope. Shes a *****. Once you start sliding there is no stopping. I ended up cutting up a Credit Card to try to stop. To bad I had the number memorized. Still a battle not to use it which I loose occassionaly. I am avoiding the rare as I know as soon as I start its going to be my ruin.

Ahbroody
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Heres one I realized.

Generally speaking most CCs are a very good deal. I used to think it was not worth it. Then I ran the numbers and realized they are often a very good deal. I think most of us dont start out buying boxes which is where my misconception came from. Example a box of PSD4s run about 6.40 a stick. I generally spend atleast that when I buy a stick at the B&M. Its just you have to buy them all at once. Some of us broke asses have to be financially responsible for the month to do this.

Skywalker
04-19-2009, 04:32 PM

And generally speaking, I believe it is always in good taste to bring a small gift (cigar, etc) for the Inmate who is hosting the local herf at his or her home, as a way of showing your appreciation for their generosity.

In addition, and generally speaking, try to have something positive to say from time to time about the members of the CFRH. If not, they make take the notion at their next herf to bomb your a$$;)

Generally speaking... Herfs are addicting because smoking alone is not what most of us want to do!!! Herfs give us a chance to meet new BOTL/SOTL and put faces and personalities with screen names!!! I was afraid my first time but after that I couldn't wait for the next, and the next. They are also a great place to bomb noobs!!!

BTW - You know you are a welcome Herf guest when you vomit in the host's backyard.:r

Old Sailor
04-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Excellent point!!:tu:tu

WildBlueSooner
04-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Heres one I realized.

Generally speaking most CCs are a very good deal. I used to think it was not worth it. Then I ran the numbers and realized they are often a very good deal. I think most of us dont start out buying boxes which is where my misconception came from. Example a box of PSD4s run about 6.40 a stick. I generally spend atleast that when I buy a stick at the B&M. Its just you have to buy them all at once. Some of us broke asses have to be financially responsible for the month to do this.

:tpd: Agree...especially on the CC part, although I like NCs and CCs both!

bobarian
04-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Generally speaking... Herfs are addicting because smoking alone is not what most of us want to do!!! Herfs give us a chance to meet new BOTL/SOTL and put faces and personalities with screen names!!! I was afraid my first time but after that I couldn't wait for the next, and the next. They are also a great place to bomb noobs!!!

BTW - You know you are a welcome Herf guest when you vomit in the host's backyard.:r

:tpd: Generally speaking noobs attending their first herf do not bring enough empty storage. It is not presumptuous to bring an extra gallon ziplock bag! You look mighty silly going home from a herf with cigars sticking out of all your pockets! :r

DMK
04-19-2009, 05:23 PM
O.K. my turn....

Generally speaking, when it comes to shipping (as a Canadian), in side the country to other Canadians I find our express post fast and usually reliable.
With a DC, a small package is about $7.00.
I don't use couriers due to cost.

Shipping to the U.S. can be a crap shoot.
Again I don't use couriers as they seem to love to hand all packages over for inspection...:mad:
I've had all methods of shipping fail at one time or another using the postal service.
Usually I find that our 'small packet air' service is the most reliable and the fastest, also oddly enough, the cheapest but no DC :confused:
The 'expedited parcel' which automatically comes with a DC seems to slow it down and the tracking is useless after it is handed off to another countries postal system.

SmokinApe
04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Generally speaking it's good form to Pay It Forward...

Skywalker
04-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Generally speaking... Post Whoring occurs when things get slow around here!!!:r

DPD6030
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Generally speaking...if you start out with one humidor it will quickly multiple to two or three humidors. You may end up selling them to buy a vinotemp. Shortly after filling that you may buy another vinotemp and fill that. Once that happens you will get a cooler and fill that. It's a never ending cycle that I enjoy but my credit cards don't! So buy the biggest freakin cigar storage humidor you can get to begin with. Trust me on this :2

Legend
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
OK another one:

Generally Speaking...

I agree the the notion that what's between your ears will generally affect your taste. This is a key factor to what folks believe about this subject. Those predisposed to think there is no difference will not taste one, and contrarily those predisposed to thinking there is will taste one. Generally speaking....I don't think we will ever know.

ahc4353
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Generally speaking some people make you wanna :bh :bh :bh

G G
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Generally speaking.......................................... .uh I forgot what I was gonna say.:tu

WildBlueSooner
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Generally Speaking...Al getting the hell bombed out of him provides some of the most entertaining posts in the great world of the Asylum!

chippewastud79
04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Generally speaking, the Asylum's FOG's are pretty good at sniffing out the bullshit, so don't try it :tu

Generally speaking, 19847731 pictures in one post doesn't neccessarily make it a good post and trying too hard will likely have the adverse effect on your intentions to be accepted.
Generally speaking some people make you wanna :bh

:tpd: Generally speaking, people who think they are right all the time will never admit fault in their arguments and never see another side to an argument. :bh

Generally speaking.......................................... .uh I forgot what I was gonna say.

Generally speaking, that happens a lot to the old guys around here and sometimes the young guys too :hm

ca21455
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Generally speaking:

Do what you want with wrappers, cut your cigar with something that works, light it with fire, smoke it if you enjoy it, buy where you feel comfortable, state your opinion and be nice.

I like it here.

WildBlueSooner
04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Generally speaking:

Do what you want with wrappers, cut your cigar with something that works, light it with fire, smoke it if you enjoy it, buy where you feel comfortable, state your opinion and be nice.

I like it here.

Generally speaking...WORD!

jcarlton
04-20-2009, 07:07 PM

:ss Generally speaking, he may have a point. :ss

mojo65
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Generally speaking..... Cigar Smokers are the kindest most generous people on the planet. Ive had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of many.

SeanGAR
04-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Gernally speaking, it is not possible to bring too many cigars or too much bacon to a herf. Lots of cigars gives you lots of selection and the opportunity to share cigars you enjoy with others. Lots of bacon leaves enough for more than one person. Same goes with maple syrup .... and beer ... and scotch ... and rum. Did I mention cigars?

Generally speaking,when you're digging a hole and you can no longer see the trees .... you should put the shovel down. :tu

Generally speaking, if you want to beat Dave at corn toss, you need to wake up early and practice ... a lot.

Hardcz
04-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Generally speaking it's funny to watch a giant of a man run back and forth from his seat to the food table you moved directly in front of you, so he can grab handfuls of chips and buffalo chicken dip at herfs.

And generally speaking, it's polite to laugh to yourself instead of point it out when he ninjas the bowl and puts it on his chair so he can hoard it.

Skywalker
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Generally speaking it's funny to watch a giant of a man run back and forth from his seat to the food table you moved directly in front of you, so he can grab handfuls of chips and buffalo chicken dip at herfs.

And generally speaking, it's polite to laugh to yourself instead of point it out when he ninjas the bowl and puts it on his chair so he can hoard it.

Jeez Dan!!! I didn't know you attended BABOTL Herfs... generally speaking!!!:r

Ender
04-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Yes, I'm surprised he didn't get sucked into the Vortex of Dan. We lost a lot good men that day battling the buffalo chicken dip from you.

icantbejon
04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Generally speaking, as a relative newbie still, I find CA a great place to come and find the knowledge I want about cigars. Some of the folks around here really know the ins and outs of th is hobby and have a vast amount of knowledge to pass on. I don't post nearly as much as I could, but I read a ton of posts here cause I can always find the answer to the questions I have. Thanks knowledgable ones.

Also, is there a "generally speaking" for a guy who is hosting his first herf, which is also simply his first herf?

Da Klugs
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Generally speaking, as a relative newbie still, I find CA a great place to come and find the knowledge I want about cigars. Some of the folks around here really know the ins and outs of th is hobby and have a vast amount of knowledge to pass on. I don't post nearly as much as I could, but I read a ton of posts here cause I can always find the answer to the questions I have. Thanks knowledgable ones.

Also, is there a "generally speaking" for a guy who is hosting his first herf, which is also simply his first herf?

Shack herf I was my first herf hosted or attended.

Have things to eat and drink.
Seating for those that attend.
Ashtrays are a nice touch.
Try and relax, the only reason to be nervous is the unknown. It'll pass about 3 minutes after someone shows up. The guests make the party.

04-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Generally speaking it's rather unusual for someone to move the whole table of snacks within arm's reach, then call out another for "hoarding" them........

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:40 AM
The guests make the party. Dave I find myself thinking this now at every party I go to, thank you for this amazing tidbit last year.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Generally speaking I’d recommend that you stay away from buying boxes until you are six months into the hobby. Every brother of the leaf here prolly has a box or two that he over bought because he thought it was great early on.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Generally speaking stop saving your best cigars for “special occasions.” A friend of mine had a box of Cubans from the late 80s and he’d been saving them for a while. When he found out I’d actually started smoking he told me we’d have one on a special occasion. I asked him did he smoke one when he married his amazingly beautiful wife who was an actual Playmate and who actually loves him? He said no. I asked if he smoked one when HP bought his company for a ransom? He said no. I asked if he smoked one when his twins were born? He said no.

I thought I knew the perfect time and told him “After we eat this fine meal and drink more scotch while crossing the street you will be crushed by an out of control city bus. Your wife will be devastated and mourn you for two years tops. But the girls will need a father and a playmate needs a man and she will eventually find one. They’ll date for a while and marry a year later, cause who lets a wealthy playmate get away? And while they are on their honeymoon on your yacht right before he consummates he’s gonna go up to the deck and smoke one of those Cohibas.”

Needless to say we cracked the box at a bbq the next day. Anyway sometimes you have to let “because its Tuesday” be a special enough occasion.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Generally speaking there are no non-cubans that taste like Cubans.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Generally speaking CCs are not better than NCs, just different. There are good NCs and good CCs. The golden rule is smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

ahc4353
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Generally speaking stop saving your best cigars for “special occasions.” ......

Needless to say we cracked the box at a bbq the next day. Anyway sometimes you have to let “because its Tuesday” be a special enough occasion.

Golf clap.

I learned that here.

One of the best pieces of knowledge I have taken away from the wonderful people here.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Generally speaking there is no bad way to pick new cigars to try. You can pick based on magazine ratings, bands, recommendations of friends, etc. Hell you can pick based rolling chicken bones in a circle of goats blood if that’s your deal. Just try enough to figure out what you like and don’t like in general. Then try some more because your tastes are bound to change.

Addiction
04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Generally speaking nose smoking will blow your smoking mind. There will be cigars you couldn't appreciate before that open up whole new worlds after. There will also be cigars you loved previously that are not so dear to you.

lightning9191
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Generally speaking if you post 7 times in 21 minutes in the same thread you may be a post whore:D

Da Klugs
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Wisdom and humor in the same post is a rare find. :tu

I try and use the same logic in dealing with "services" from yes dear. It does not seem to work quite as well in your example. :)

Generally speaking stop saving your best cigars for “special occasions.” A friend of mine had a box of Cubans from the late 80s and he’d been saving them for a while. When he found out I’d actually started smoking he told me we’d have one on a special occasion. I asked him did he smoke one when he married his amazingly beautiful wife who was an actual Playmate and who actually loves him? He said no. I asked if he smoked one when HP bought his company for a ransom? He said no. I asked if he smoked one when his twins were born? He said no.

I thought I knew the perfect time and told him “After we eat this fine meal and drink more scotch while crossing the street you will be crushed by an out of control city bus. Your wife will be devastated and mourn you for two years tops. But the girls will need a father and a playmate needs a man and she will eventually find one. They’ll date for a while and marry a year later, cause who lets a wealthy playmate get away? And while they are on their honeymoon on your yacht right before he consummates he’s gonna go up to the deck and smoke one of those Cohibas.”

DocLogic77
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Generally speaking I’d recommend that you stay away from buying boxes until you are six months into the hobby. Every brother of the leaf here prolly has a box or two that he over bought because he thought it was great early on.

Now this is terrific advice.

Ahbroody
04-22-2009, 03:10 PM

I need to do this I have sticks like an Opus BBMF in glass tube and others that I am holding onto for something. I have no clue what that something is and if I die tomorrow I will have saved them for someone else. I think tonight I will smoke something That I have been sitting on for atleast a year.

hotreds
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Since we are speaking in generalities: (And not avoiding duplication)

Aged are better than fresh
If you gotta smoke alone- doing so at the beach watching and hearing the waves is wonderful
You meet the nicest peeps at herfs
CC and NonCC have both good and bad
CS and now CA is the best cigar forum
A $25 cigar isn't always better than a $2 cigar!
Don't expect to stop at a 20 cigar desk top!
Being generous comes back atcha many fold
Don't take things on any forum too seriously
Don't take life too seriously- you won't get out of it alive!

kaisersozei
04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I asked him did he smoke one when he married his amazingly beautiful wife who was an actual Playmate and who actually loves him?

Generally speaking: pictures, or it didn't happen.

:ss

hotreds
04-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Even if the don't smoke, bring your "significant others" to herfs as they will then see why we frequent same.

Da Klugs
04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Almost everyone here is a true brother/sister of the leaf. Almost is not 100%. In buying or selling heartache can occur for "he who ships first" based upon finding out you are dealing with an exception to your insulated view of our circle of trust here.

Generally speaking, sellers who have built experience and trust here should require any buyer to send payment first. Buyers should look beyond the numbers to ensure that there is a diverse experience vs all with one or 2 folks when choosing to accept this liability.

Generally speaking, if you are a new seller here it is not unreasonable for buyers who have built credibility here to ask for you to ship first. Accepting this risk is part of the process of becoming trustworthy to many here and the same words of caution apply to your decisions.

Cigar Asylum is not the guarantor of transactions here other than failure to satisfy obligations is grounds for being removed from the forum.

Use common sense, ask questions and don't let zeal overcome a natural level of caution that should be exercised in any financial transaction.

Ahbroody
04-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Generally speaking what Da Klugs said sounds like a bad thing. Sorry to who ever got the raw end of a deal.

SilverFox
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Generally speaking the folks at the Cigar Asylum are a forgiving, helpful, kind bunch of people. Take the time to note what a thread is meant for and be cognizant of making posts that are within the expectations of the Original Poster's intent. It isn't necessary to make fun of everything and everyone, caution when dealing with folks that you haven't corresponded with before is a good idea.

Having said that I would caution those of us that tend to leap into the fray and chastise folks for their behavior in a thread to remember that all of us have stepped offside at one point or another and to temper your response with compassion.

Hardcz
04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Generally speaking it's a good idea to leave your post up on your screen and read it at a later time if you are typing emotionally, before hitting submit.

Mr.Maduro
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Generally speaking it's a good idea to leave your post up on your screen and read it at a later time if you are typing emotionally, before hitting submit.

:tpd: ...generally speaking of course! :tu

shortstory5
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Generally speaking...http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ericrwalker/pichers1.jpg