PDA

View Full Version : I miss back when

petewho
10-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I was just thinking about how it once was before all the smoking bans, and that got me to thinking about other things I miss (and some I don't). I DO miss:
- Small car keys. What's with these giant ones with electronics and buttons? Gone are the days of keeping your keys on you when risk getting wet (think boating, the beach, etc). Hey, I am not too lazy to open the car door with a key. Works fine at the house still.
- Getting a real person on the line when you call a business.
- Coffee vending machines. Sometimes I don't want to pay four bucks for coffee.
- Made in USA options of consumer goods.
- Photo albums. It's weird to be at someone's house and have them say, "we have a ton of great pictures from our vacation! I'll email you the link" instead of pulling out an album and sitting down on the couch hearing the stories as you see the pictures.
- Manual transmission options. It always seems about 95% of the cars on the lot are auto these days.
- Having less stuff (cell phone with charger and bluetooth headset with charger, ipod with cord and headphones, laptop with charger, digicam needs usb cord & charger, etc). I have more cords and cables than I know what to do with!

Things I DON'T miss:
- Pagers
- Writing checks and going into the bank
- Using the Yellow Pages/Library/phone/etc instead of the web
- Floppy discs
- Audio cassette tapes
- Corded power hand tools
- Corded phones (I'm not the only one that had a 50 foot phone cord, right?)

What's on your list?

VirtualSmitty
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I miss floppy discs. I don't why really lol.

Dood
10-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I miss the days when it was perfectly acceptable to say what you think, instead of being "Politically Correct".

AriesOpusX
10-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I miss:

Almost all cars having steel bumpers so you could bang into stuff and not worry about it.

I don't miss:

56k dial up internet or I don't even remember exactly what it was back in the day but like 14k...jeez

mmblz
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
- Photo albums. It's weird to be at someone's house and have them say, "we have a ton of great pictures from our vacation! I'll email you the link" instead of pulling out an album and sitting down on the couch hearing the stories as you see the pictures.

you need to tell your friends about blurb.com!
:D

rhdad42
10-17-2008, 07:00 PM
While I love the convenience of MP3s (and CDs), I really miss records. The feel of a 12" vinyl disc, the album covers and liner notes, even the sound.

boonedoggle
10-17-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah, those stupid big keys cost $100 to replace too! :fl

gettysburgfreak
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I miss the days of only having to worry about coloring in the lines and bringing in something for show and tell. Entering the real world sucks, at least for right now.

Texan in Mexico
10-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I miss the days when it was perfectly acceptable to say what you think, instead of being "Politically Correct".

:tpd:

kgraybill
10-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I miss the days when people controlled their children in stores and restaurants.

I miss all the big hair blonde rock and roll chics.

I dont miss 8 tracks.

I dont miss getting drunk every night and getting free rides back to the barracks from the MP's.

I dont miss quiting smoking.