PDA

View Full Version : Hip flask protection?

kzm007
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
This seemed to be the appropriate area, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I've got a $10 stainless steel flask I got off eBay, and it's got either a fake leather, or a cheap leather wrap around it; I liked it because it means less uncovered steel to pick up fingerprints.

However, it's a cheap, glued-on covering that I could peel off if I so wished, and I'm worried that, cheap price or not, it might happen on it's own. I still want to preserve it; eight ounces is eight ounces lol.

Is there any place out there that provides professional leather covering for these sort of things, like a company or a service?

Also, does any sort of product exist that permanently eliminates fingerprints on stainless steel?

Thanks for any help - Kegan

ahc4353
04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Maybe Jeff (stitch) could do it?

kzm007
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll keep him in mind, thanks Al :)

On another possible route, has anyone had good experiences with the slip-on flask covers?

Kegan

lightning9191
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Why are you worried about fingerprints?:confused:

kzm007
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
They just annoy me I guess.

:) I mean, it's all nice and shiny, looks good, and then you see a smudge on it. It's not life or death of course, but I try to keep things neat and clean. Try being the keyword :D

WildBlueSooner
04-16-2009, 12:11 PM

:) I mean, it's all nice and shiny, looks good, and then you see a smudge on it. It's not life or death of course, but I try to keep things neat and clean. Try being the keyword :D

I know...I hate fingerprints on my handguns, for a different reason of course :dance:

lightning9191
04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Oh....I thought you were worried about leaving it at a crime scene or something:r You could just wear fancy white gloves all the time:D

cle_smoker
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Or just drink really fast and then you won't really care. :)

kzm007
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Lol I hear ya, James ;)

As for Kevin, white gloves just seem so...Michael Jackon-y :ss

Maybe you can tell me why my current gloves aren't working out?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001J645W8/ref=dp_otherviews_0_MAIN?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=MAIN&color_name=x

:D

Robert's idea might work...a lady online selling flasks with a manufacturer's warranty against spills (not my eBay flask of course :rolleyes: how different can these things be?) suggested drinking a leaky flask quickly, and then sending it back for a replacement.

For ten bucks, I can afford a leak if it arises, and I've learned from any future mistakes :al

mosesbotbol
04-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Buffing wheel with rouge will for sure take off the prints, but if the surfaced is brushed, it may wear the brushing down a little. Brushing is done with a special tool.

Leather work is not going to be cheap.

kzm007
04-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not that worried about them lol that stuff's pricey I know.

As for the leatherwork, a slip on cover, which would work for me, is $30 online at etsy.com ...flask included, but it's tanned buffalo hide.

So I emailed the seller to see if I could go without it. Like I said, it's a ten dollar container, it's not imperative that it's flawless, but I do want to keep it looking nice.

Thanks all - Kegan