PDA

View Full Version : I can't beleive It's not Cuban...

skullnrose
04-16-2009, 12:03 AM
If you had to pick one NC cigar that you think would fool you If you were trying to decide if it was Cuban or not what would it be? For me it would be the cabaiguan Coronas Extra.

acarr
04-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Davidoff Millennium

mojo65
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
If you had to pick one NC cigar that you think would fool you If you were trying to decide if it was Cuban or not what would it be? For me it would be the cabaiguan Coronas Extra.
:tpd:Love them!

SmokinCozy
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Cabaiguan Guapo

Bax
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe Ashton VSG. No twang, but it's always been a wonderful experience.

elderboy02
04-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Cabaiguan Guapo

:tpd:

duckmanco
04-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I hate to say at is, as its counterpart is probably cheaper but a touch tougher to get, but the tatuaje noellas smacked of Monte flavor, just with more strength and pepper, but in my limited experience with CC's, it was close.

JJG
04-16-2009, 07:46 AM
a few years ago when I was smoking CCs exclusively, the only thing that seemed to even come close were the Bobalu '91 Dominican coronas.

e-man67
04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Monte Cristo vintage platinum...not that they smoke the same but smell pre-lit very similar.

e-man67
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Cabaiguan Guapo

I really like the Guapos but I think they smoke soooo much stronger than any cuban I have had.

yourchoice
04-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Two come to mind for me. Reserva Mira Flor and Partagas 160 Sig Series. One affordable, one not so much.

thebiglebowski
04-16-2009, 09:19 AM
this is a stretch, but just maybe a tat especiales. tastes to me like a very fresh havana. maybe.

Coz77
04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Ive had this only work the other way around... I was smoking a Jose L. Piedra Cazadores and swore it tasted just like an AVO maduro :confused:

karmaz00
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
pinar del rio habano SG....maybe

floydpink
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Cabaiguan Guapo

Fooled my foolish self in a public fashion a while ago in another place.

Lucky_Hippo
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Glass top Cohiba's? My buddy who continues to purchase them STILL can't believe they're not Cuban...:r

:lv

BigAsh
04-16-2009, 02:01 PM

:dance: cool....I got a fiver on the way

MithShrike
04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I've had some Habanos Torres sticks that have come very close and some Habanos Torres that blow any CC I've had out of the water. I once had a RP 1992 that reminded me of a Bolivar, some twang in it.

wayner123
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Are you talking about looks or taste?? Or both?

awsmith4
04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Ive had this only work the other way around... I was smoking a Jose L. Piedra Cazadores and swore it tasted just like an AVO maduro :confused:

The first RyJ Cazador I smoked tasted like a La Riqueza with slightly less pepper

South Shield
04-16-2009, 06:12 PM
La Riqueza

Jay Hemingway
04-16-2009, 06:39 PM
tatuaje noellas

skullnrose
04-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Both

SeanGAR
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Nothing comes to mind.

My cabaiguan BFs don't seem cuban in taste to me, although they are very nice cigars and do look Cuban. Tats ... well, never had one even close. Been confused in blind tastings before of course ... but I know of no NC that I smoke and say "damn, this tastes & looks Cuban".

bobarian
04-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Nothing comes to mind.

My cabaiguan BFs don't seem cuban in taste to me, although they are very nice cigars and do look Cuban. Tats ... well, never had one even close. Been confused in blind tastings before of course ... but I know of no NC that I smoke and say "damn, this tastes Cuban".

:tpd:

Been fooled twice in blind tastings. Once by a Montecristo Platinum and second by a Pepin blend, Vegas Cubana, I think. Occasionally a puff or two of an NC will have a bit of the "twang" but it never lasts the entire stick. :2

MNSmoker
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
The last two Tat Noellas I had I would have guessed cuban in a blind taste test.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-16-2009, 08:55 PM
monte platinum

SeanGAR
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
The last two Tat Noellas I had I would have guessed cuban in a blind taste test.

I have a box of Tat Havana IV Angeles that are nowhere close to Cuban tasting. They taste like a Nic puro and only that. Is there that much difference between the red and brown labels?

Actually, the first box of Cusano C10s that I had I thought were ringers for Monte No. 4s. I sent a couple of MoTheMan who wasn't convinced they were at all close. I trust his opinion more than mine as I don't smoke that many of those cigars. C10s I've had since were not as close as what I remembered from the first box (was on a waiting list so they were the first batch of boxes sent out).

duckmanco
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
there is a huge difference between the brown and red labels, brown are fuller, earthier coffee bean peppery slightly sweet than the leathery dark fruit reds, at least IMO.

yourchoice
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't find a lot of DPG's blends offering the Cuban-esque flavors that a lot of other folks do. Maybe a few of them with a little rest time on them (Blue, White, Cabiguan), but I find way more pepper in most of his other blends than I associate with Cubans.

Bruzee
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Davidoff Millennium

:tpd: LOVED this stick!!!!!!! A++++++++ :dr

Bruzee
04-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Davidoff Millennium

Oops, double post.. :D

thebiglebowski
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
i think we need to hear from moki and fredster...

:D

wayner123
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Both

As far as looks, IMO there aren't many NC's that could fool you. First off they would need to have a triple cap. Not all Cubans have triple caps, but the vast majority do.

So that narrows the field down considerably for NC's. Pepin and a couple others are really the only ones using the triple cap. To me most of the Pepin blends are darker than most Cuban wrappers. So that again limits the field. Then you get into sizes, which again limits it. So you are left with a small number of smokes that may look similar to Cuban but do not taste like them.

If looks are not important, then the field is wide open. I think you will get a wide variety of answers on what taste 'Cuban' to someone. I have done a good number of blind taste tests and I have been fooled badly on ocassion.

The only cigars that fooled me on taste alone are a RyJ Reserva Real and the Fundacion Ancestral Pinar del Rio 1941.

With the RyJ Reserva Real I swore it had to be Cuban because it had a strength of flavor that I didn't think many NC's had. And with the Fundacion Ancestral Pinar del Rio 1941, it had a nice grassy taste which I associated with aged Cohiba's.

yourchoice
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
My response was based on taste alone, regardless of the looks.I have done a good number of blind taste tests and I have been fooled badly on ocassion.

Blind taste tests can play tricks on you, no doubt. But when you light up a cigar, with the band on knowing exactly what it is and think it tastes "Cubanesque" then you have a real find (assuming you like Cubanesque :D).

wayner123
04-17-2009, 08:31 AM
My response was based on taste alone, regardless of the looks.
Blind taste tests can play tricks on you, no doubt. But when you light up a cigar, with the band on knowing exactly what it is and think it tastes "Cubanesque" then you have a real find (assuming you like Cubanesque :D).

Well that's just the thing about Blind testing. If a group of people told you that so and so cigar tastes like a Cuban, and you went out and bought one with that pre-notion in your mind, it could sway you to think the same. Or at the very least give you pre-concieved ideas about it's taste. Where as with blind testing, there is no pre-concieved ideas on how it is going to taste. (unless, of course, you throughly examine them)

yourchoice
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Well that's just the thing about Blind testing. If a group of people told you that so and so cigar tastes like a Cuban, and you went out and bought one with that pre-notion in your mind, it could sway you to think the same. Or at the very least give you pre-concieved ideas about it's taste. Where as with blind testing, there is no pre-concieved ideas on how it is going to taste. (unless, of course, you throughly examine them)

Understood and agreed. But when doing a blind test, someone may want something to be something that it's not and fool themselves into thinking it is what it isn't. (Does that sentence make sense? :r) The mind can be a very complex thing!

omowasu
04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Understood and agreed. But when doing a blind test, someone may want something to be something that it's not and fool themselves into thinking it is what it isn't. (Does that sentence make sense? :r) The mind can be a very complex thing!

Also, the first stick may numb some of the taste buds to the flavors present in the second stick... Its a tough call...

Although, since it is being asked
Tatuaje Noellas (brown label)
Davidoff Millenuim

Also, the Davidoff #1 and #2s have tasted like a mild CC before, at least to me...

SmokinApe
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
DPG's original release Little Havana Overruns PC from Holts.com were by far the most cc nc for me...

Taboo's were a close second...

SmokinApe
04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Glass top Cohiba's? My buddy who continues to purchase them STILL can't believe they're not Cuban...:r

:lv

Funny...

Magma
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
this is a stretch, but just maybe a tat especiales. tastes to me like a very fresh havana. maybe.

I agree, it must be about 4months since I've had one, but I remember thinking that I couldn't believe how this is not illegal.

Clampdown
04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Taboo's were a close second...

:pu