PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Patel,friend or foe?

SmokinApe
04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
What say you? Some love him some hate him...

Me? I haven't smoked one in some time... But I use love them...

"You can't go wrong with a Patel."
"Too many inconsistent blends."
"Great construction!"
"Too much hype."

Comments that I hear...

:confused:

JPH
04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Once upon a time I liked the RP sungrown... no others though.

s15driftking
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
RP the Edge Sumatra and Maduro (the only RP's i like to date) have flawless construction in my opinion and i am always satisfied with those cigars.

Dukeuni
04-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I really cannot say that I would ever say RP is a "foe" or that I "hate him". This guy works his butt off for his brand, and I think he increases the hobby as a whole with his passion. Now, do I enjoy his cigars?- Not too much, but heck, I have only had a few. In the end, I respect the man and the work he puts into his job and the passion he shows for it

WildBlueSooner
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I have enjoyed the RPs I have had, love the Vintage 90 and 92!

Nabinger16
04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I really like the Decades and the Old World Reserve Maduros. The Vintage lines aren't bad either. I liked the first couple R4 maddies I smoked, but they're not tasting so good any more.

All in all... I would say RP is a friend!

taltos
04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
He has some great blends and so does Pepin. You need to smoke what you like and smoke what you like. I like a whole bunch of the stuff that Rocky blends and smoke a bunch of them but I prefer the blends coming out of Oliva. Both Rocky and Pepin create more new blends than there are whores in New York City Times Square but their good ones are worth smoking. I suggest the Vintage series and the Edge series for Rocky and the Black and Blue for Pepin.:tu

mikeandshellie2
04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I love the RP sumatra and the double maduro fusion. :dance:

Clampdown
04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I couldn't care less about the man. I did enjoy the OWR and the Decades, but haven't had one in a long time and have no interest to go back. Im just waiting for when he comes out with his Monday thru Sunday blend cigars.

TBone
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I love the vintage 90's not so much with the 92's. I have a RP Edge I haven't tried yet but hold high hopes.

Starscream
04-15-2009, 07:55 PM
I really cannot say that I would ever say RP is a "foe" or that I "hate him". This guy works his butt off for his brand, and I think he increases the hobby as a whole with his passion. Now, do I enjoy his cigars?- Not too much, but heck, I have only had a few. In the end, I respect the man and the work he puts into his job and the passion he shows for it

Well said.

I'm an RP fan, but to each his own.

Didn't we beat this discussion to death over in the jungle?

Boobar
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I like the Vintage 1990's and the Edge Maduro's and I always keep a couple of each on hand. The others that I have had don't do that much for me.

Clampdown
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Well said.

This is a different place, and some different members. If we went this mode of thinking then there wouldn't be much to talk about. We left a vast amount of information there, and its always nice to go back and visit various discussions. Unless they involved "cello or no cello", "should I rotate my cigars," or anything to do with Macanudos.

lightning9191
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I've had a handful of his blends and found none of them amazing, but they aren't bad. I usually keep some '92 Vintages around.

rharris
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I likey the edge corojo,the sungrown in the petit corona size (the bigger sizes not so much).I also like the O.W.R and the decade.Heck,I even like the C.I.legend R.P.s. I have met Rocky a few times at different events and he really seems like a genuine person.Plus he was nice to the wife which earns him big points in my book.

smokin5
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Really like the Vintage 1990's.
And the Edge. Regular or Lite.
Other than that, I can't recall an RP I've enjoyed.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

leasingthisspace
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I likey the edge corojo,the sungrown in the petit corona size (the bigger sizes not so much).I also like the O.W.R and the decade.Heck,I even like the C.I.legend R.P.s. I have met Rocky a few times at different events and he really seems like a genuine person.Plus he was nice to the wife which earns him big points in my book.

I really thought I was crazy for only liking the SG in the PC size. :)

Starscream
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
I even like RP's $h!tty sticks, like Esteban Carrera Maduro and Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro.

Texan in Mexico
04-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Well said.

LOL, you beat me to it! I would post the thread but dont want to get banned here haha.

And to answer your question - FAN of the man, helping us build up the community, I am all for it though I have my personal feelings about some of the new cigars.

acarr
04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I like the decade and vintage but I never think to buy any because the name has really turned me off. There is one for every day of the year:2

skullnrose
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm smoking Rocky Patel TAA Signature Series not a bad smoke reminds me of a OWR. I give all his cigars a shot but haven't found many that I'd buy a box of.

ChasDen
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I've never understood the dislike of any company for making different varieties. RP and Gurkha get the worst wrap on the boards for having too many varieties. As soon as a brand starts to branch out it's not long before the comparisons to the above 2 start and its all "downhill from there" in the eyes of some. Is it not possible for a company to make many kinds of their product to try and reach the largest group of customers? I buy potato chips from a company that makes about 20 different varieties. Since they make barbecue should I not buy the regular chips from them and just find a company that makes plain chips?

For me most of the enjoyment of this hobby is trying new cigars and revisiting old friends to see if they taste the same.

As for the RP brand, many I like some I don't but honestly never had one I threw out.

Chas

Jbailey
04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
My fav from the RP line was the Olde World Reserve maduro torpedo. Started not to like the RP line when I was smoking a Decade and had my lips turn black from the dye in the wrapper. Wasn't happy at all about that!

leasingthisspace
04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm smoking Rocky Patel TAA Signature Series not a bad smoke reminds me of a OWR. I give all his cigars a shot but haven't found many that I'd buy a box of.

I got one of these the other day. Glad to hear they are reminding you of the OWR I like those.

big a
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I've never understood the dislike of any company for making different varieties. RP and Gurkha get the worst wrap on the boards for having too many varieties. As soon as a brand starts to branch out it's not long before the comparisons to the above 2 start and its all "downhill from there" in the eyes of some. Is it not possible for a company to make many kinds of their product to try and reach the largest group of customers? I buy potato chips from a company that makes about 20 different varieties. Since they make barbecue should I not buy the regular chips from them and just find a company that makes plain chips?

For me most of the enjoyment of this hobby is trying new cigars and revisiting old friends to see if they taste the same.

As for the RP brand, many I like some I don't but honestly never had one I threw out.

Chas

:tpd: Couldn't have said it any better myself. Out of the RPs i have had, a couple i really like and one or two i didn't care for. I keep track and move on, just because i had one RP i didn't like doesn't mean i woln't smoke them later on.

icehog3
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Only Rocky Patel I have ever liked was an Olde World Reserve.

That being said, I would consider Rocky a "friend". He loves cigars, loves cigar smokers, and makes cigars that many of my friends enjoy.

groogs
04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I like a few of Rocky's smokes, I just think he pumps out to many blends that are sub par. I wouldn't say I consider him a foe, because he is a fellow cigar enthusiast and that goes a long way.

scoot
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
The only cigar of his I smoke with any regularity is the Edge Maduro Missile. That said, the Edge is a nice smoke for what it is, and, as said previously, extremely well put together.

Regardless of those who are critics of the volume or quality of the blends he produces, Rocky's zest for the industry and his amazing work ethic certainly make him a "friend."

jaycarla
04-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I give him a thumbs up!

Decade, Edge Corojo, Olde World Reserve, and the 1990 Vintage. The other 50, not so much.

sodomanaz
04-16-2009, 12:32 AM

Chas

I think a lot of people are pushing for a "Do one thing and do it well" rather than "try to do everything and hit or miss."

It'd be nice if you could pick up any RP/Gurkha blindly and in the first few puffs go, "Yup, that definitely has that Gurkha/RP flavor." Unfortunately they've stretched their blend catalogue so far to reach every single possible consumer that it's nearly impossible to associate the cigar to the blender beyond the band.

Don't get me wrong, I have liked the few RPs I've tried. I also keep a box of Cuban Blend maduros in my stash.
I just think the hobby is possibly getting a bit worn thin by these overzealous blenders/companies.

Mirrorlure7m
04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
I enjoy smoking alot of Rocky's cigars. The Decade , Edge and Renaissance are my favorites.

marge796
04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I am fan of RP and his cee-gars.

:tu :tu :tu

Chris.....

shortstory5
04-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I enjoy his Decade and OWR. But I love the Sun Growns...

Bax
04-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Never really got into his stuff. The few I tried weren't to my tastes.:2

Tio Gato
04-16-2009, 03:47 AM
I think that I have a bias against anything RP because for years I had smoked a lot of really bad Indian Tabac cigars. Nice boxes and hype couldn't help these cigars, they were just lousy.
It seemed, IMHO, that Rocky finally decided to blend a better cigar and put his name on it because he finally made something he could be proud of. That's OK, good for him and his business. I guess when I see RP's at the store I can remember that IT bad taste and I just pass up the RP's.

Catfish
04-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Patels are some of my favorites. Namely, the Edge series and the Sun Grown. Not to mention, RP seems to be a good promoter of his product. A top quality web site and he's active in cigar smoker's rights activities.

People like that I'm proud to support.

longknocker
04-16-2009, 05:38 AM
He has some great blends and so does Pepin. You need to smoke what you like and smoke what you like. I like a whole bunch of the stuff that Rocky blends and smoke a bunch of them but I prefer the blends coming out of Oliva. Both Rocky and Pepin create more new blends than there are whores in New York City Times Square but their good ones are worth smoking. I suggest the Vintage series and the Edge series for Rocky and the Black and Blue for Pepin.:tu

I agree with you completely, Paul!:tu

duckmanco
04-16-2009, 06:01 AM
I'm a fan, if not for the fact that he pushes so hard to keep taxation at a minimum, and fights hard for our passion as cigar smokers. On to his smokes, I love the OWR maduro, Sungrown, and ITSF as a great value smoke. All of these blends are available at rock bottom pricing as 2nds that look/smoke/taste just like 1sts IMO, and for that my wallet likes him too.

Starchild
04-16-2009, 06:19 AM
I think RP is good for the industry in general. I really enjoy his Sun Growns and Vintage 90's. I'm big on getting the best bang for my buck, so the 2nd and x-out versions of these are right up my alley :tu I think it's great to offer these as an option for people who don't necessarily need a fancy box or band.

kaisersozei
04-16-2009, 06:20 AM
I just think the hobby is possibly getting a bit worn thin by these overzealous blenders/companies.

I hear what you're saying, but for me the hobby is about variety. Finding new sticks, testing things out, discovering new flavors--that's the biggest reason why I smoke cigars. There are more blends out there than I'll ever get around to smoking, but I'm more inclined to try something new from a brand where I have already enjoyed a few different lines: RP, DPG, and Oliva fall into that category.

On the other hand, I can appreciate a company that just produces a few lines but does that very, very well: Padron comes to mind, as well as some of the new boutique players who don't have a ton of lines on the market, like illusione & Esencia.

I guess I just like experimenting. It's the same with me & beer. Over the years I have bought (or brewed) a huge variety of beer, but I also usually keep a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada or Victory on hand for when I want just that.

If someone like Rocky helps enhance my enjoyment of the hobby by producing good quality, enjoyable cigars, then I consider him a friend. :2

loki
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I think a lot of people are pushing for a "Do one thing and do it well" rather than "try to do everything and hit or miss."

It'd be nice if you could pick up any RP/Gurkha blindly and in the first few puffs go, "Yup, that definitely has that Gurkha/RP flavor." Unfortunately they've stretched their blend catalogue so far to reach every single possible consumer that it's nearly impossible to associate the cigar to the blender beyond the band.

Don't get me wrong, I have liked the few RPs I've tried. I also keep a box of Cuban Blend maduros in my stash.

I don't see the problem with having different lines taste different, and I'm an over whelming fan of partagas. Yes there is something to be said for having a distinct flavor profile in every cigar that comes out of the factory, it's consistent and......expected I guess. However, there is also something to be said for variety. If I grab an edge I want it to taste like every edge that I've had before it but if I grab another one of his sticks I don't want it to taste like another edge. If I want an edge I'll smoke another edge, if I grab a vintage 90 I don't want to close my eyes and think I'm smoking another edge.
I know when I grab a party anything I'm going to have a flavor base and depending on the age of the cigar I'm going to have other flavors besides that and I happen to really really like that taste...which is why I own more of that cigar then any other...except for los statos but that's due to price....but that being said I don't want every cigar I smoke to taste the same. I don't smoke many RPs anymore and the last few I've had I didn't really care for but that's life and I don't fault him for trying to make cigars that allow more and more people enjoy them. It's good for him and it's good for us.

TripleF
04-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Makes the best cigars available today....IMHO.

In addition Rocky spends most of his time traveling the country, fighting those who are attempting to reduce or eliminate our freedom of choice. He's a class act and I've never met him.

SmokinApe
04-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I agree he seems like a nice person with incredible knowledge, I was bummed when I didn't get to meet him him at the B&M event...

borndead1
04-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I like some of his cigars...and don't like some.

Friend or foe? Meh, I don't hate the dude.

Also, he is really just a "figurehead" for his cigar company. I am more interested in who is making the cigars than who is selling the cigars. I could care less who runs the company, I wanna know who makes the cigars and if they are any good. :ss

DPD6030
04-16-2009, 07:39 AM

:tpd:

Tredegar
04-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Of all the cigar manufacturers out there, I prefer the Rocky Patel lines the most. His lines have given me the most enjoyment since I have started smoking stogies. Yes, he has had a few stinkers, but overall, I feel his lines suit my tastes the best.

icehog3
04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Of all the cigar manufacturers out there, I prefer the Rocky Patel lines the most. His lines have given me the most enjoyment since I have started smoking stogies. Yes, he has had a few stinkers, but overall, I feel his lines suit my tastes the best.

That is all that matters then. :tu

ABNMP619
04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I truly enjoy the RP Sungrown and Edge. Both are great smokes in my opinion. I love the way they draw and they burn even too.

Scottw
04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
SOme RP's suck, some are great (Vin 1990, Decade). It's what you like.

zmancbr
04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
My feelings go something like this: :pu:pu:pu:pu:pu

I will never smoke another RP cigar... they really do suck that much.

ActionAndy
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM

By far my favorite Rockys. I started smoking with Rocky Patel so no matter how many blends he releases, I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt and like his brand. I try at least one of almost everything he puts out.

Like I said, I love the 90 and 92. Thought the 99 was just alright, Winter was way too strong for me (and I hated it). The Edge I can take or leave. So to me he's just like any other brand--he has a few sticks I like, and some I just don't vibe with.

thebiglebowski
04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
well, there was that one time when he stiffed me on the dinner bill, but i don't hold it against him. he's neither friend nor foe...

that being said, i don't believe there's an RP in my top 79 list of cigars.

kaelaria
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
He has some awesome stuff, for the price. I have tried 3/4 of the line and there are only a few I would choose not to buy again, and have about 50 in the humidor right now.

yitlin
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Usually not a fan, not really sure why, I guess they never did it for me. However, I recently got turned on to the sungrown and Winter blends and I am a fan of those two.

Dunkel
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I have smoked an Olde World Reserve Corojo, and a Fusion Torpedo so far and liked both of them very much. I have a few I-Press' waiting their turn patiently in the humidor. So far Rocky is batting 1000 from what I've tried.

shilala
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
The Esteban Carerra is an RP blend produced by Oliva, and it absolutely rocks.
I LOVE Indian Tabac Super Fuertes, and have enjoyed a bunch of other Indian Tabac blends.
I have yet to find any with Rocky's name on them that I have enjoyed. I had a Fusion MM a few days ago and quite frankly, I'd be ashamed for my name to be on it.
The flavor was lousy, the construction sucked, the draw was crap, the burn very inconsistant, and these are cigars that I have let set for a year.
Chuck made some points earlier about "all the brands".
My answer to that is "do you want to make good cigars, or do you want to make money?"
Look at Oliva and Fuente, for instance.
They don't have to introduce a new cigar every week because they are committed, proud, and absolutely insist on producing a product of the highest queality that they can put their name on with pride.
Rocky drags maduro wrapper through dye and syrup so he can make a few bucks.
Big difference. Real big.
So far as Gurkha goes, I have no idea what the hell they're thinking.
CAO falls somewhere in between. If there's a company that fits the thinking Chuck was talking about, I think it would be them. Their intent is to provide quality and variance, and they have limits.
I think Rocky's heart is in the right place, but I think he's willing to compromise at any level just to move cigars. I think it's a shame because he has real talent, and it doesn't take many compromises to ruin a guy's good name.

Smokin Gator
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
There are still a few of his cigars that I like... but I posted a long time ago somewhere... that if a manufacturer dyes their cigars so much that they leave stains on my fingers I am not buying them anymore. Peace... Out!!!

Bax
06-10-2009, 01:57 AM
I haven't enjoyed the one's I've had so far and I'm not in a rush to try any more. :2

Dunkel
06-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I have smoked an Olde World Reserve Corojo, and a Fusion Torpedo so far and liked both of them very much. I have a few I-Press' waiting their turn patiently in the humidor. So far Rocky is batting 1000 from what I've tried.

I was wrong. I checked and it was not a Fusion Torpedo, it was an Edge Corojo Torpedo.

csbrewfisher
06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Rocky is a friend. Heck, he blends and makes cigars, doesn't he? He goes out and meets the public, his BotL's. He makes cigars at all price points, so whether you're a refined connoisseur or a noob, there's probably something with his name on it in your humi. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could consider him a foe...unless you would like to see cigar smoking banned from the culture.

Scottw
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I love the decades and am a big fan of the 1990 as well.

shilala
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Rocky is a friend. Heck, he blends and makes cigars, doesn't he? He goes out and meets the public, his BotL's. He makes cigars at all price points, so whether you're a refined connoisseur or a noob, there's probably something with his name on it in your humi. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could consider him a foe...unless you would like to see cigar smoking banned from the culture.

Good stuff, Gerry. Good points.
I can't see him as anything but a friend. I just keyed on the "friends don't sell friends generic third world suck cigars at inflated prices" point and got stuck there. That kinda stuff really tweaks me off. :)
I sure think he has good intentions, and I'm glad he's a BOTL. :tu

VTDragon
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Rocky makes well constructed cigars in a wide variety of flavor profiles. I like some, don't like others , but at least I know that I'll always get a well made cigar if Rocky's name is on it.

GreekGodX
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
As most of the Michigan people know, I don't care for his cigars at all. Only decent one I had was the edge sumatra, but even that I'm not running out to buy. On the other hand he is a great guy. When it comes down to it you smoke what you like.

DrDubzz
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a decade and an OWR Maddie in my cooler

if I ever get around to cigars again, they're first on the list out of curiousity

GrtndpwrflOZ
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Who's Rocky Patel?

Giant & 49er Fan
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
One thing we have to give credit to Rocky for is the fact that he is not a Fuente, Oliva, Padron or of the latin decent. For just over twelve years this guy has attacked the cigar industry with as much passion for blending cigars and marketing a brand that could appeal to everyone. From there it is simply preferrence. Do YOU like RP's. Some facts that may be of interest to most is that Rocky has been a pioneer for our rights as Cigar Smokers. He is in my opinion, the hardest working individual in the industry. Rocky has worked directly with the Government to save our precious hobby. SCHIP would have hit for over a $1.50 a cigar if he didn't raise his voice against the BIG TOBACCO business. Rocky Patel is without question a "FRIEND". To YOU, ME and anyone looking forward to thier next CAO, Fuente, Oliva, Don Pepin or whatever suites YOUR pallet.

Just my two cents!

TripleF
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
One thing we have to give credit to Rocky for is the fact that he is not a Fuente, Oliva, Padron or of the latin decent. For just over twelve years this guy has attacked the cigar industry with as much passion for blending cigars and marketing a brand that could appeal to everyone. From there it is simply preferrence. Do YOU like RP's. Some facts that may be of interest to most is that Rocky has been a pioneer for our rights as Cigar Smokers. He is in my opinion, the hardest working individual in the industry. Rocky has worked directly with the Government to save our precious hobby. SCHIP would have hit for over a $1.50 a cigar if he didn't raise his voice against the BIG TOBACCO business. Rocky Patel is without question a "FRIEND". To YOU, ME and anyone looking forward to thier next CAO, Fuente, Oliva, Don Pepin or whatever suites YOUR pallet.

Just my two cents!

Here! Here!

And.......ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, btw....I love RP's :tu :banger

jjirons69
06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Here! Here!

And.......ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, btw....I love RP's :tu :banger

Scott and myself are in the same boat, excuse the pun. I have more RPs in my stash than any other. OWR, Decades, and Vintage are gooood sticks. I like those chewy maduros.

bigloo
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Never met the guy, like his Decade and OWR, his Vintage (both 90 and 92) were favorites... I still like the vintage and smoke them occasionally. I have tried every thing with RP names on it, at his worst his sticks are still very smokable. However, I dislike the IT brand a lot, never had one I like (although never had the ITC 10th). All in all, I think RP is a solid producer.

Bruzee
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Friend.... There are several cigars Rocky makes that I enjoy. To include the Vintage Series, Decade, Fusion and Edge. I have also met Rocky and thought he was a very down to earth and friendly person. But, to each his own. :tu

ade06
06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Foe... his cigars make me spend money!