PDA

View Full Version : Chess...

dentonparrots
04-15-2009, 08:05 AM
At the grand old age of 32 I've finally learned how to play chess and I'm kinda getting hooked on the game now.
I've been enjoying a stogie with an ale (or two) and a game of chess with a buddy who lives nearby but sometimes he's not allowed out to play (his missus says no!) so I've been hunting out games online to play and the best I've found so far are

www.instantchess.com however you've got to play pretty quickly on that site as the games are limited to 15 minutes, but therre's the option of either party clicking to allow an extra 3 mins, repeatedly. also, you're only allowed 25 games i think before you have to

www.redhotpawn.com (great name I think) which allows you to play against invited friends, or random people. The good thing about that site is it allows you to take days, or even weeks between moves if needs be and it's completely free forever.

:tu

croatan
04-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I've been playing on fics (the free internet chess server - http://www.freechess.org/) off and on since 1994. It's come a long way (there are graphical interfaces now ;) ), but it's always been the best place I know of to get a good game. Many experts, masters, and grand masters play there and you can set whatever sort of time control you like.

dentonparrots
04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I've been playing on fics (the free internet chess server - http://www.freechess.org/) off and on since 1994. It's come a long way (there are graphical interfaces now ;) ), but it's always been the best place I know of to get a good game. Many experts, masters, and grand masters play there and you can set whatever sort of time control you like.

Thanks for that, I'm registering for it now

lightning9191
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I'll have to check out some of these sites....I really enjoy chess, but it is hard to find someone to play with. The computer games I don't think are the same as a board though....something about being able to look at the board from different angles and touching the pieces.

uncballzer
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
used to play on yahoo a lot, long time ago. It's changed now that I quit playing there, just didn't like the interface.

dentonparrots
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
check out both of those sites, espescially redhotpawn.com very good

SixPackSunday
04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I used to pay chess at a pretty competitive level in high school and wish there was a good game locally. I dont mind playing online, but I dont play at the same level I know. In all of my hobbies I always do a better job of seeing the strategy if its in 3d in front of me. Same goes for billiards/cards.