PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Telescope?

Footbag
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I've wanted a nice telescope for a long time and after seeing some amazing images of what you can actually see from your home or viewing spot, I've decided not to wait any longer. From browsing some telescope forums I've gotten a starting point. I'm leaning towards a Meade or Celestron, but I am struggling to find an entry point.
I was amazed at some of the features of the GPS enabled telescopes, and could have jumped on one but then I started reading about how I'm going to have to buy all sort of extra lenses which could cost as much as the initial telescope which was already probably a streatch for an entry level telescope.
I read that you can also use the telescope to take pictures, but that would require an expensive camera that I don't have. But sounds interesting.
I also know that I will probably have to get a case for it, to bring it to remote viewing spots, so that is added expense.
Anyone have any telescope buying experiences?

JohnnyFlake
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
A telescope is a serious investment, so be very sure of what you want. There are two types of telescopes, refractors and reflectors. Reflectors are usually measured in inches and are bigger that Refractors. Refractors are usually measured in millimeters. They are generally smaller in overall size than Reflectors. Reflectors are usually cheaper than Refractors.

Meade and Celestron both make good beginner scopes! I have used both a Meade and Celestron 4" and 8" Reflectors in the past. Personally, I don't like them, Reflectors that is, and then the quality of construction by either company. I finally ended up with a Stellarvue 90mm Refractor. IMHO a Refractor is the way to go! I bought mine about 4 years ago and only used it moderately for about a year. I have many accessories for it as well.

Look up the Stellarvue online. They are very well regarded If you think you may have an interest in something that advanced, I will make a great offer. PM me and we can discuss.

Footbag
04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
A telescope is a serious investment, so be very sure of what you want. There are two types of telescopes, refractors and reflectors. Reflectors are usually measured in inches and are bigger that Refractors. Refractors are usually measured in millimeters. They are generally smaller in overall size than Reflectors. Reflectors are usually cheaper than Refractors.

Meade and Celestron both make good beginner scopes! I have used both a Meade and Celestron 4" and 8" Reflectors in the past. Personally, I don't like them, Reflectors that is, and then the quality of construction by either company. I finally ended up with a Stellarvue 90mm Refractor. IMHO a Refractor is the way to go! I bought mine about 4 years ago and only used it moderately for about a year. I have many accessories for it as well.

Look up the Stellarvue online. They are very well regarded If you think you may have an interest in something that advanced, I will make a great offer. PM me and we can discuss.

Thanks for the tips. It appears I've been mostly looking at reflectors as opposed to refractors. Looks like I've got a good bit more research to do before I can buy.
I had been most impressed with some of the deeper space images I've seen which I think may more conducive to a reflector, but I'm still researching.

Blueface
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a friend who is a madman with this stuff.
Has quite a few telescopes that are bigger than you and I put together.

Me? I have a Bushnell North Star.
It is a bit shy of $300 and does what I need.
Doesn't get the image my friend's $2k and $3k scopes do but didn't cost me that much either.:D

replicant_argent
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a friend who is a madman with this stuff.
Has quite a few telescopes that are bigger than you and I put together.

Me? I have a Bushnell North Star.
It is a bit shy of $300 and does what I need.
Doesn't get the image my friend's $2k and $3k scopes do but didn't cost me that much either.:D

So... what is Mrs. Kravitz wearing today, my friend? :D:r

kaelaria
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I would love one, but alas there is no place around here to enjoy it - too much light pollution.

JohnnyFlake
04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I read that you can also use the telescope to take pictures, but that would require an expensive camera that I don't have.

BTW, you really don't need a crazy expensive camera to take pictures with a telescope. Well, let me clarify that, If you want to use a digital type camera, it can be fairly expensive, as you must buy a SLR Style Camera and right now, in digital, that can be very expensive. The best, low cost way of doing so is by picking up a SLR 35mm camera. You can usually find them for very cheap money at garage sales. Depending on the lens mount style of the camera you end up with, you'll be able to buy and adapter mount to mount it on the telescope. You can get some truly wild and amazing pictures with that type of set up!

GoatLocker
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Astronomy is one of my hobbies that don't seem to be spending much time on lately. I have three scopes: an 80mm APO refractor, a 6" Maksutov-Newtonian and an 8" truss-dob, as well as a small room full of supporting accessories. What kind of scope you get should be guided by what you want to see and how you want to observe.

If you want to observe deep sky objects, like galaxies, nebulae and globular clusters, you need dark sky and plenty of aperture. I think an 8' f/6 Dob reflector is a great way to start and offers a lot of bang for the buck. They also provide great planetary views.

Refractors are nice too, but by the time you add a mount you'll be paying three time as much for half the aperture. Regardless of what type of scope you get, aperture rules (the bigger the better). But if a scope/mount is too large, it might not get used. The best thing to do is find a local club and stop by when they are having a "star party", so you can see and look through a wide variety of scopes. If you join, they might even have loaner scopes.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

skullnrose
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Not much I can add to what has already been said. I researched telescopes for quite sometime but still haven't bought one. On a side note their is a cool freeware program called stellarium that might be something your interest in.

fxpose
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I did astronomy for a while and ended up selling most of my astro gear at the end. Just driving to and from a dark site and spending an entire evening took too much time from my weekends.
What I kept are a couple of giant, large aperature binoculars which I can bring out on moments notice if there's a sky event.
I sold my Takahashi APO refractor used mostly for astrophotography, Losmandy equatorial mount, guide scopes, Celestron C-8, Televue refractor and several eyepiices, Astro-Physics diagonals, camera bodies, hard shell cases, etc, etc, etc....

My suggestion to the OP is to visit star parties and check out the equipment before plucking down some serious $$. There are a lot of junk out there, both inexpensive and expensive, so do your research.

Footbag
04-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Ended up buying a Celestron CPC 800. This is mean a$$ piece of equipment. Setup took about 25minutes, and the GPS's linked up in another 2. Then I selected three bight objects and it was set. From there on, I just press the tour button, and it gives me a tour of the sky.

Last night, I saw Saturn rings and all, clear as day. My wife was just as amazed as me. I ordered mount so I could attach my camera. Can't wait to see how the pictures come out.

JohnnyFlake
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Ended up buying a Celestron CPC 800. This is mean a$$ piece of equipment. Setup took about 25minutes, and the GPS's linked up in another 2. Then I selected three bight objects and it was set. From there on, I just press the tour button, and it gives me a tour of the sky.

Last night, I saw Saturn rings and all, clear as day. My wife was just as amazed as me. I ordered mount so I could attach my camera. Can't wait to see how the pictures come out.

If you don't mind sharing, what did the set up cost you?

Also, can you post a few photos of your set up?

Footbag
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
It cost me $1799 shipping included. I will post some photo's tonight. I also have a T-ring and adapter coming so I can hopefully take some planetary shots.

GoatLocker
04-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Ended up buying a Celestron CPC 800.

That is a cool piece of optics Adam! And 8" is enough to show you a lot and keep you interested for a long time.

MarkinAZ
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
The best thing to do is find a local club and stop by when they are having a "star party", so you can see and look through a wide variety of scopes. If you join, they might even have loaner scopes.

My thoughts exactly:tu

Footbag
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm hoping to get to a "star party" before too long. For now, It's just me and my wife. Ordered a few new eyepieces. I'm hoping to get a very close up view of Saturn. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Haven't been able to play with quality scientific equipment like this since high school.

Of course I'm being kept late at work tonight... :(

Footbag
04-16-2009, 09:16 PM
A pic of the setup...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/Telescope.jpg

MarkinAZ
04-16-2009, 09:43 PM
A pic of the setup...

Thats a nice looking set-up Adam. I have an old C8 from back in the early 90's. Yours looks like a C8 on steroids:D I bet the GPS is a welcomed feature for your rig...

skullnrose
04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice pick up that is one of the ones I was considering when I was looking. You now have me looking again.Keep us posted on how you like it.

Footbag
04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Thats a nice looking set-up Adam. I have an old C8 from back in the early 90's. Yours looks like a C8 on steroids:D I bet the GPS is a welcomed feature for your rig...

Yeah it's great... With the GPS, you don't have to type in your location or exact time. The Auto-align is amazing. Just point it at three bright objects,(usually the first stars you see in the sky) to set it up. You don't have to know the objects. Then it can point out any of 40,000 objects at a keystroke.

It keeps the objects centered perfectly.

MarkinAZ
04-16-2009, 10:19 PM
It keeps the objects centered perfectly.

So, you can simply set-up, point it at the North star and your good to go? That's nice:tu

JohnnyFlake
04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
That's Awesome!

GoatLocker
04-18-2009, 12:28 PM
So, you can simply set-up, point it at the North star and your good to go? That's nice:tu
You don't even have to do that. Any stars will work for alignment. :)

Footbag
04-18-2009, 12:41 PM
You don't even have to do that. Any stars will work for alignment. :)

That's correct. You don't have to know what you are pointing it at. If you do know what you are pointing at, you only need one object.[ie North Star] Otherwise, you need to point it at three bright objects and then it knows everything else.

Footbag
04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Got some amazing pics and thought I'd share...

This is M3
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/M3GIMPED.jpg

and M97 - The Owl Nebula
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/M97Gimped.jpg

GoatLocker
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice!

MarkinAZ
04-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I like that M3 shot Adam. You'll have to post a couple of good crater shots of the Moon when you have the opportunity. The moon provides some good photo's with a nice telescope:)

smokin machinist
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
That is a nice looking set up, thanks for the pics!

Not much I can add to what has already been said. I researched telescopes for quite sometime but still haven't bought one. On a side note their is a cool freeware program called stellarium that might be something your interest in.

And thanks for the info about stellarium, it's cool.

Footbag
04-26-2009, 08:38 AM
I like that M3 shot Adam. You'll have to post a couple of good crater shots of the Moon when you have the opportunity. The moon provides some good photo's with a nice telescope:)

Just waiting for it to come into view.:tu

Footbag
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
A few more including the moon...

The Moon
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/Moonpic.jpg

M81 & M82
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/M81M82.jpg

M82 Close-up
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/M82PS.jpg

MarkinAZ
04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
That is super cool Adam:tu:cool2:

BC-Axeman
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
What is causing the glow in the center of the F.O.V.?

Footbag
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
What is causing the glow in the center of the F.O.V.?

It's a combination of vignetting that I believe is from light pollution, noise from the temperature, and me stretching the signal. I have my strategy for dealing with it in the future though.

white_s2k
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
very nice pics! i often fine myself wishing i had a telescope while out on the balcony smoking!
Posted via Mobile Device

skullnrose
04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice pic's thanks for sharing

Footbag
05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
One more...

M51 - Whirlpool Galaxy
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/Footbag01/m51-1.jpg