PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 300C Hemi

JaKaacH
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Any Inmates own a 300C with a Hemi??

If so what does this car do as far as MPG's?
I know its a great car to drive, tons of power, all the bells and whistles, great ride and handling.
Three different answers from salesmen on the MPG question.
Here's a fuzzy cell phone pic.. '06 with 40,000 miles.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=229&pictureid=1862

WildBlueSooner
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Any Inmates own a 300C with a Hemi??

If so what does this car do as far as MPG's?
I know its a great car to drive, tons of power, all the bells and whistles, great ride and handling.
Three different answers from salesmen on the MPG question.
Here's a fuzzy cell phone pic.. '06 with 40,000 miles.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=229&pictureid=1862

Sweet looking ride!

Ratters
04-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Well, I have that motor in my Dodge Ram and average about 15mpg with all around driving. On the freeway I can get 20. So you'd be doing a bit better than that. But that's not the type of car to get if you're worried about mpg.

taltos
04-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I suspect that the car requires premium fuel also. As they said with the hemi powered Chargers and Barracudas in the late '60's, if you need to worry about the gas mileage, you can't afford it. Nice looking car though.

marge796
04-09-2009, 04:19 AM
I rented one in Florida. We loved how it rode but hated putting gas in it. Not good in this regard but other than that a very nice car.

:2

Chris....

68TriShield
04-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Just curious here,why would you consider buying a Hemi if fuel consumption is a issue?

Parshooter
04-09-2009, 07:14 AM
The hemi does have the cylinder step-down system (not sure what it's really called). It only uses all 8 when you get on it, during "normal" driving, it only uses 4. I have the 3.5 v6 in my 300. Never check mileage but I don't think it's the best in it's class.

JaKaacH
04-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I suspect that the car requires premium fuel also. As they said with the hemi powered Chargers and Barracudas in the late '60's, if you need to worry about the gas mileage, you can't afford it. Nice looking car though.

Just curious here,why would you consider buying a Hemi if fuel consumption is a issue?

Fuel consumption not really a issue, just wanting first hand experince on what to expect.....Didn't think about the premium fuel being required. I guess when I'm thinking of buying a car thats one of the questions I always have. :confused: The salesman trying to sell me the 300 said it would get 24-25 hiway..The salesman trying to sell me a GranPrix said the 300 would only get 18-20..Therefore the question.................

I have a Chevy Blazer. Its smaller, lighter and a V6 and it only gets 20 MPGs with hiway driving. The Tahoe that I use to have got even worse gas mileage.
So the 300 C will get about the same I guess.

Cigary
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Gas pig and it's a CHRYSLER,,,remember that or at least get a 5 year warranty to cover all the things that will go wrong with it.

JaKaacH
04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Gas pig and it's a CHRYSLER,,,remember that or at least get a 5 year warranty to cover all the things that will go wrong with it.

So are you saying Chrysler's are junk..Don't know I've always owned GM.
It was real nice in the test drive...

mosesbotbol
04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
My friend's dealership in Raynham, MA is the largest Hemi/SRT reseller in the North East. He sells a ton of them to Chrysler/Dodge dealerships. If you don't mind shipping a car, you could get an SRT for Hemi prices.

KidRock
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

What Cigary said is true. I got a brand new Stratus in 2004. I take damn good of my car. I have had the transmission droped twice out if it. The MPG on the Hemis are actually really bad. You could go with a new Chevy Mailbu and save $$$$$ and worry alot less. but after all these are my :2

JaKaacH
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
What Cigary said is true. I got a brand new Stratus in 2004. I take damn good of my car. I have had the transmission droped twice out if it. The MPG on the Hemis are actually really bad. You could go with a new Chevy Mailbu and save $$$$$ and worry alot less. but after all these are my :2

I did drive a Malibu LT the other day, a 08 with 16,000 miles. They sure know how to make a V6 run now days..Nice car

STYX&STONED
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
The hemi does have the cylinder step-down system (not sure what it's really called). It only uses all 8 when you get on it, during "normal" driving, it only uses 4. I have the 3.5 v6 in my 300. Never check mileage but I don't think it's the best in it's class.

Though your 300 is a complete SLED, it does have that PIMP appeal!! :r

AriesOpusX
04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
MPG is around 16-18 in a mix of city and highway I know a few guys with them, really nice cars. Gets them to work everyday without exploding which is more than I can say for the last 2 chevy's I owned.

The cylinder deactivation system is called MDS and it works pretty good you don't notice the change really when it goes down to 4 cylinders. Personally I drive a dodge ram, unless you're making a 100 mile commute each way for work the fuel cost won't kill you.

Ratters
04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
The current Hemis don't require premium. The recommend 89 but it runs just fine on 87 too.

White97Jimmy
04-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I did drive a Malibu LT the other day, a 08 with 16,000 miles. They sure know how to make a V6 run now days..Nice car

The new Malibu was probably one of my least favorite cars I've driven lately.

Never thought I would say this, but I had a new Ford Fusion SEL for a week and I thought it was a decent ride.

mosesbotbol
04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
My friend bought a Charger and was deciding between Hemi or not. In the end, he decided against the Hemi as the performance difference vs. price was too small to justify any increase in price. The base model or SRT are the best choices.

shilala
04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
There's an outfit called Blue Knob Auto here that blows cars out at killer prices.
They have a 2006 300c 5.7hemi with 39k on it for $17,000. (http://blueknobauto.com/auto_detail.php3?id=51682)
It's missing the navigation system or it'd be perfect. :)
I've been thinking about one for a long time. I'll probably buy one in June, I think they're gorgeous.
I'm just the opposite when it comes to gas mileage. I've long ago stopped considereing it when buying a car. Mostly because a guy can't get a straight answer, but also because there's no recourse when I get home and it gets 15mpg when they said it would get 30mpg.

JaKaacH
04-10-2009, 08:23 AM
There's an outfit called Blue Knob Auto here that blows cars out at killer prices.
They have a 2006 300c 5.7hemi with 39k on it for $17,000. (http://blueknobauto.com/auto_detail.php3?id=51682)
It's missing the navigation system or it'd be perfect. :)
I've been thinking about one for a long time. I'll probably buy one in June, I think they're gorgeous.
I'm just the opposite when it comes to gas mileage. I've long ago stopped considereing it when buying a car. Mostly because a guy can't get a straight answer, but also because there's no recourse when I get home and it gets 15mpg when they said it would get 30mpg.

That's the cool thing about asking a question here in the asylum. Most the time you can get a straight answer from a BOTL with first hand experience, minus the agenda.

I just don't want a huge suprise..Like the salesman saying 24 mpg and in then two weeks later after the purchase I'm only getting 12 mpg..That why I posed the question here no BS from the BOTLs.

AriesOpusX
04-11-2009, 09:47 AM
The only other thing to consider is whether or not you get a lot of snow in your area, the non AWD 300's are terrible especially with the stock tires in any kind of snow and ice.

mojo65
04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
You could also ask for an extended test drive, and for the cost of a tank of gas, find out for yourself what the mileage will be doing your routine.

MajorCaptSilly
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I heard the Hemi's turn off cylinders when highway driving (cruising) to save on gas mileage.

MCS

Da Klugs
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Mine came off lease last aug. Liked the car. Mixed driving aroud town got around 17. Highway had big variation based on. Speed. At 74 got aroud 21. Drop to 65 and get 26-27. Liked the car.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cigary
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Just wanted to clarify my post a bit. I'm not trying to knock a known brand without having tried it and I have had 2 Chrysler products and both of them had problems with the transmissions as KidRock said,,,also a timing belt on one and fan belts on the other. Overheating issues on one and stalling out as well. These were brand new cars with barely 10K miles on them and the only reason I bought the second Chrysler was because I wanted to buy American and after the warranty ran out I continued to have problems. If you are a Chrysler advocate and like the brand buy a bumper to bumper warranty that runs at least 5 years,,,my experience tells me that you'll need it. I had friends who said the same thing about the 300 series,,,alway always buy the extended warranty.