PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Internet!?!

markem
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Well, not exactly. Today is the 40th anniversary of the RFC (Request For Comment) structure that formed the IETF that promulgated the Internet.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0001.txt?number=1

The original "net" wasn't envisioned anything like today or even anything like it was in 1976 (when I started using it). For those of you who think that the acronym "TCP/IP" equals the sum total of "the Internet", you should read through the first several hundred RFCs. Heck, I remember when the IP protocol was made the standard.

I'm old, crusty, and know where all the bodies are buried, so don't mess with me ;) Hell, I was even involved in the X.25, and X.21 standards bodies back in the day.

So ... hey, you kid! Get offa my lawn! Why, back in my day, I'd have shown you who was boss. . . :r

lightning9191
04-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Where was the first internet cigar board?

tobii3
04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
...anything like it was in 1976

um.....you DO realize that a majority of the Inmates weren't even a twinkle in their daddy's eye in '76??

On another note....remember programming (punching) the &^%$#$^&* Hollerith cards??

Or having to sort the &^%$%&* things after someone knocked them off the feeder tray???

Nabinger16
04-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Wow you're not just a geek, but a old as dirt geek! :r If you were messing on the "net" in '76, you were messing on it before I was even born!

pnoon
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
um.....you DO realize that a majority of the Inmates weren't even a twinkle in their daddy's eye in '76??

On another note....remember programming (punching) the &^%$#$^&* Hollerith cards??

Or having to sort the &^%$%&* things after someone knocked them off the feeder tray???

My first programming job I had to create the Hollerith cards and carry the deck to operations to run the program. Sorting a dropped deck was never an issue if you were smart and used columns 73-80 as sequence numbers. A shuffled/dropped deck could be run thru a sort machine to get the cards back in order.

markem
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Modern conveniences. I've programmed paper tape. :dance: :r

AllOGistics
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Wait a politician lied to me.... damn you Al Gore! All kidding aside, I got really interested in the history of the internet (and more so the history of hacking) in a network security theory class. It's all really interesting... if you're a nerd like me. Otherwise, your family and friend's eyes glaze over and long for you to shut up. Here's to you Captain Crunch.:salute:

markem
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Wait a politician lied to me.... damn you Al Gore! All kidding aside, I got really interested in the history of the internet (and more so the history of hacking) in a network security theory class. It's all really interesting... if you're a nerd like me. Otherwise, your family and friend's eyes glaze over and long for you to shut up. Here's to you Captain Crunch.:salute:

Or if you used to teach graduate computer security theory like me. Top 5 program as ranked by the NSA. :dance:

tobii3
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Modern conveniences. I've programmed paper tape. :dance: :r

Funny you mention that - I still use paper tape for encryption algorithms.

:r

AllOGistics
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Or if you used to teach graduate computer security theory like me. Top 5 program as ranked by the NSA. :dance:

Nice! Where did you used to teach? I'm hoping to get my masters in cybersecurity.

markem
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Funny you mention that - I still use paper tape for encryption algorithms.

:r

Do you use 'C' or 'D' cells in the flashlight you use as a reader?

markem
04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Nice! Where did you used to teach? I'm hoping to get my masters in cybersecurity.

Not aware of such a degree in the US. I used to teach at Portland State University, which is a National Center of Excellence in Information Security Education. They have a security concentration for the MS CS program (http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~cia/). I've been gone since 2005.

AllOGistics
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Not aware of such a degree in the US. I used to teach at Portland State University, which is a National Center of Excellence in Information Security Education. They have a security concentration for the MS CS program (http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~cia/). I've been gone since 2005.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I know several programs have added it as a specialization for the newer Informatics degrees. After I moved to LV, I know that UNLV has this specialization. I was thinking of attending that program, but I've been trying to track down other programs as a comparison.

Skywalker
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
My first programming job I had to create the Hollerith cards and carry the deck to operations to run the program. Sorting a dropped deck was never an issue if you were smart and used columns 73-80 as sequence numbers. A shuffled/dropped deck could be run thru a sort machine to get the cards back in order.

My first job was programming binary loadlifters - very similar to your vaporators in most respects!!!:r
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0709/070904-robot.jpg