PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Question

BamBam
04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I have a Linksys Cisco Wireless N-Router that I use to get wireless internet in my man cave. My LAN line goes into this router. Another LAN line comes out of the router and into my desktop computer for the internet on there (I use this one the most).

Ever since I started using this router, my desktop internet doesn't work quite frequently.

My question is... Is there a way I can turn the wireless portion of the router off and still use the internet on my desktop?

Is there a device where I can cut the signal to the wireless router, send all the signal to the desktop, and turn the router on only when I need it?

I'm afraid the router is sucking too much of the signal and sending it into the wireless portion.

HELP TECHIES!!!!:confused:

dunng
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I would start up checking to see if there is an update for your router... we can then go from there. :ss

TXRebel
04-04-2009, 06:08 PM
You might find your answer here LINK (http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board?board.id=Wireless_Routers).

BamBam
04-04-2009, 06:30 PM
OK...I think I found the solution. Thanks Dunng and TXRebel. I actually used both of your advice and found the "solution". I ended up having to downgrade some software. Apparently these Linksys routers are having issues and not getting a good name b/c of them.

Hopefully this will be my last need for help :rolleyes:

dunng
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Cool! :tu

Volt
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Lynksys has never impressed me over the years... D-Link for the house is a nice budget oriented brand.

RGD.
04-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a Linksys Cisco Wireless N-Router . . .

Sounds like the same POS that I had - similar problems. It's sitting in a parts bin box at the moment collecting dust.

Ron

mosesbotbol
04-04-2009, 08:55 PM
It's probably a signal strength issues.

ChasDen
04-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Lynksys has never impressed me over the years... D-Link for the house is a nice budget oriented brand.

:tpd:

Nothing but headaches for me with the Lynksys.

Switched to the D-Link a year ago and everything is blazing fast :tu

Chas

AD720
04-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I would highly suggest anyone running a Linksys upgrade to the DD-WRT firmware. 10x more stable and much faster.

SeanGAR
04-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I would highly suggest anyone running a Linksys upgrade to the DD-WRT firmware. 10x more stable and much faster.

+1

Tomato is also supposed to be good but I haven't used it.

My Linksys WRT54GL has been very reliable over the years (using DDWRT) FWIW.

dunng
04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
+1

Tomato is also supposed to be good but I haven't used it.

My Linksys WRT54GL has been very reliable over the years (using DDWRT) FWIW.

I had issues with the newer version of DD-WRT and have been trying out Tomato, it is very nice! I would recommend it to any non-techies and techies as it is much easier to use had has a good bunch of features! :tu

RGD.
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
It's probably a signal strength issues.

It really is a POS issue - at times the "wired" connection will just drop off.

Ron

dunng
04-05-2009, 10:50 AM
It really is a POS issue - at times the "wired" connection will just drop off.

Ron

POS not PEBKAC? :D

JaKaacH
04-05-2009, 11:02 AM
So I bought a Linksys WRT54Gl from this tread..
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12861
So half of you are saying its a POS..I'm having issues with my Dlink, I think, trouble with streaming radio, video, and losing connection even on the desktop hardwired from the router.

I guess when I'll get the Linksys and see if that fixes it. I've been blaming the cable/ISP folks for the crappy connection...:confused: but they say everything coming into the house is good...:al

SeanGAR
04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
So I bought a Linksys WRT54Gl from this tread..
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12861
So half of you are saying its a POS..I'm having issues with my Dlink, I think, trouble with streaming radio, video, and losing connection even on the desktop hardwired from the router.

I guess when I'll get the Linksys and see if that fixes it. I've been blaming the cable/ISP folks for the crappy connection...:confused: but they say everything coming into the house is good...:al

IMHO, the WRT54GL is one of the best B/G routers out there and the ability to flash with Tomato or DDWRT greatly enhances it.

If you do decide to flash, please read the instructions carefully and be certain to stop antivirus and software firewall programs while flashing.

If you reset your modem (not the router) when the system is misbehaving, will it get better?

AD720
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
IMHO, the WRT54GL is one of the best B/G routers out there and the ability to flash with Tomato or DDWRT greatly enhances it.

If you do decide to flash, please read the instructions carefully and be certain to stop antivirus and software firewall programs while flashing.

If you reset your modem (not the router) when the system is misbehaving, will it get better?

Furthermore, do you have the same issue when your computer is directly plugged into the modem?

MarkinAZ
04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I too have a similar issue with my router set-up here in Valencia, CA. I have Time Warner Cable. The cable comes from the wall into the cable modem. Ether net cable from the cable modem into my D-Link, and another ether net from the D-Link into the Dell PC. I use the D-Link to work from the back bedroom area.

Generally, everything works fine as far as signal strength, but usually once or twice per day, I loose connection due to the D-Link freezing (or showing all “green” lights). This means that I must disconnect the power from not only the D-Link, but the cable modem too, so both units can reset. I’m trying to figure out why the freezing or disconnecting issue is occurring with the D-Link and how best to resolve the issue. Sometimes I feel maybe the D-Link is overheating due to being on on a regular basis and variation in room temperature. Some that I’ve thought of too are:

1. Maybe downloading a new driver, etc from the D-Link site for this particular unit;
2. Maybe having someone chuck it into the air while throwing a couple of rounds at it from my Remington P870 (a great stress reliever and it does lower your blood pressure too);
3. Or, maybe just putting a crowbar in my wallet and purchasing a new D-Link…

What do you think?

SeanGAR
04-05-2009, 01:08 PM
2. Maybe having someone chuck it into the air while throwing a couple of rounds at it from my Remington P870 (a great stress reliever and it does lower your blood pressure too)

PULL !

I would first simply see what happens if you aim a small fan at the router and modem to try and keep them close to RT.

Drivers and firmware updates are generally for the better in most hardware. So that might be worth investigating. But as AD720 says, one of the ways to best troubleshoot problems is to eliminate the router from the equation. If that solves the problem, the router or its settings may be flaky. If not, the modem or the connection.

JaKaacH
04-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Furthermore, do you have the same issue when your computer is directly plugged into the modem?

I might give that a try later. If I remember correctly the cable/ISP people will have to reset it for me if I change hardware.:confused:
Maybe time for me to look for a different ISP.

MarkinAZ
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
PULL !

But as AD720 says, one of the ways to best troubleshoot problems is to eliminate the router from the equation. If that solves the problem, the router or its settings may be flaky.

Yeah, nothing wrong with a little trap shooting:r

That sounds like the next logical step anyways, disconnecting the router and see what direct plug-in to the PC brings about. I'll wait for next weekend where I can give it a couple of days at direct connect. I agree. If the disconnect issue goes away, its most likely the router flakin' out.

Thanks Sean...:tu